Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

Oh hang on... there was this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK6uQyteDOU

Posted on February 25th. 

Oh also just noticed, if you pause the video at 2:11 and look to the right of his head, you can make out what looks like some kind of Jack in the Box enemy.

Yeah, if this supposed to be the "Year of Sonic," there better be a real explosion of stuff after E3 rolls around. I mean a near constant stream of info for both the Wii U and 3DS games and the TV show, and more trailers and interviews. Releasing some of that merchandise for Sonic Boom I've read about would certainly help, too (I'd like to have a Scarf-Sonic sitting on my desk while I'm waiting on my Wii U Jak-people Sonic game to come out). And hey, Sega, you released a Yoshi and Zelda DLC for Sonic Lost World, why not make one for Sonic Boom to promote the upcoming sub-franchise? 

There's a lot Sega could (and needs to) do between now and Autumn to make this year live up to the name "Year of Sonic" beyond just the release of a great new pair of Sonic games, otherwise they might as well have called 2011 the Year of Sonic. If they don't, Boom could suffer, and I'd really hate for that to happen.

I can see why people are getting a little frustrated but I'm probably one of the few people here who doesn't mind the downtime and I'm actually glad that SEGA is holding off on Sonic Boom until E3 so that way they can give it more like a proper reveal and we'll probably hear a whole lot more about the game and TV show in a couple of weeks. Be patient, we have less then a month to go or a few more weeks if they decide to reveal something before E3.

As for the TV show, yeah I think they should've revealed more clips or information about it by now since they have announced the TV show first.... unless they're waiting to show that off at E3 too....

• Thumbs Up 2

Wasn't that like a week or so after it was announced?

Yup.

February 25th. 

Yup.

February 25th. 

Yeah. To me it seems like they blew their load early. Things should've been a bit more spread out to keep the momentum going until the next big reveal. Heck, the 3DS version should've been shown off a while ago and would've helped.

• Thumbs Up 1

They could also confirm or deny that movie formally... even if the movie comes out in 2016 for the 25th, a confirmation would still be very nice. Ratchet and Clank got their film confirmed two years in advance, after all.

Doubly so given that assuming it takes place in the Boom universe... it could very well take place after two seasons if they divide those 52 episodes into sets of 26. The confirmation could come at the end of the year when Boom's aired a few episodes already, to wrap this year up.

I get the feeling that the Year of Sonic will probably be like the Year of Luigi and continue into 2015.

SEGA has the opportunity to really revive the brand with this approach, but they need to drop one bombshell after another in rapid succession... so I'm hopeful after E3, things will REALLY pick up.

They could also confirm or deny that movie formally... even if the movie comes out in 2016 for the 25th, a confirmation would still be very nice. Ratchet and Clank got their film confirmed two years in advance, after all.

Doubly so given that assuming it takes place in the Boom universe... it could very well take place after two seasons if they divide those 52 episodes into sets of 26. The confirmation could come at the end of the year when Boom's aired a few episodes already, to wrap this year up.

I get the feeling that the Year of Sonic will probably be like the Year of Luigi and continue into 2015.

SEGA has the opportunity to really revive the brand with this approach, but they need to drop one bombshell after another in rapid succession... so I'm hopeful after E3, things will REALLY pick up.

They are doing that, but one episode is 11 minutes.

To me it seems like they blew their load early.

Well, they do say it affects one in five...

• Thumbs Up 1

They are doing that, but one episode is 11 minutes.

Makes me wonder how the episodes will be spaced out... will all 52 be in one year? Or will it just be 26? Will those 26 be one after the other in weeks, or will half be at the start of the year and the other half at the end?

Ooo, you know what also would have made a great crumb?

The show's theme song. No kid's show is complete without an annoyingly catchy theme.

It's just SEGA being SEGA again. You'd think that something as important as a reboot would get way more promotion, but I'm honestly not surprised they aren't hyping it or showing clips as much as they should. -__-

And Ogilvie, like you I'm waiting for that Sonic Boom/SoS announcement. That could help a lot right now!

The Year Of Luigi was better. Nintendo treated Luigi like Honey Boo Boo for the whole year (which is what they should fucking do every year).

I can't really see this being the year of Sonic when 3 months have passed and nothing has cropped up. Apart from Sonic Jump Fever.

• Thumbs Up 9

And people say Nintendo let loose the Ruby/Sapphire remake news early. Think what this is like. It's an entire four months without info, where Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire is only one month.

As for the year of Sonic - really? Where's the massive promotion? Where's the cake and candles? Nintendo were constantly throwing it into our faces that this was the Year of Luigi. Unless the year of Sonic doesn't officially start until E3, and the name was leaked early, this is some year.

• Thumbs Up 2

And people say Nintendo let loose the Ruby/Sapphire remake news early. Think what this is like. It's an entire four months without info, where Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire is only one month.

As for the year of Sonic - really? Where's the massive promotion? Where's the cake and candles? Nintendo were constantly throwing it into our faces that this was the Year of Luigi. Unless the year of Sonic doesn't officially start until E3, and the name was leaked early, this is some year.

Difference is the year of Luigi had 3 retail games and e shop game and small changes to classic games to make him the star. While sonic boom is a game spilt between two Nintendo platforms , and tv show and some toys

More like The Moderately Exciting Half Year Of Sonic.

If they play their cards right with the game in general and the marketing for the game, The Exciting Half Year Of Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Am I the only one (besides SEGA) who forgot about the whole "Year of Sonic" thing until everybody brought it up again?

• Thumbs Up 4

That's the problem: SEGA shouldn't have given us a reason to forget about it. With any luck they'll make up for lost time at E3 though...

Am I the only one (besides SEGA) who forgot about the whole "Year of Sonic" thing until everybody brought it up again?

Nope. That illustrates just how much the term is worth at this point, I think.

And Ogilvie, like you I'm waiting for that Sonic Boom/SoS announcement. That could help a lot right now!

Last year's announcement came because the community team (I don't know if it was Europe's or America's; probably both) put their foot down with SEGA corporate and said "now or never."

Hopefully that will happen this year, but sooner. A Summer event should not be announced in the Summer.

The promotion of this game and everything related to it really could have been better. By contrast, whoever put together the Feb 6th event was brilliant, and they should be in charge of SEGA marketing without limitations.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm wondering if they don't give a rat's ass or they're just holding off and holding off. Frost knows fans are getting agitated, but meh, not like he can do too much.

If SEGA doesn't care that much, I wonder if it's about Boom being Western-oriented and SEGA is a Japanese company and they're like, "Meh" with it.

With Generations, it was pretty much self-promotion because "ERMAGAWD KLASSEC SANIC OOOOOOOOOO" stuff. I didn't care all that much. I feel as Boom should be the same way because, well, it's new, and fans will pretty much promote it through fanart and stuff. Though, I dunno.

Given the TV series, that seems like it'll promote the game too, whenever that comes around. Though, I question how many even watch TV anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1

If SEGA doesn't care that much, I wonder if it's about Boom being Western-oriented and SEGA is a Japanese company and they're like, "Meh" with it.

If that's the case, why hasn't SoA been hyping this up?

No idea, really.  Not gonna pretend like I no the inner-workings of SEGA, either -- it's why I'm wondering. I just know that a lot of their decisions leave me very, very confused.

• Thumbs Up 1

That all makes sense. With all the partners, though, I'm curious as to who's all in it. Though, with as many types of products, varying from the games and the show to the toys, I guess that list is pretty extensive.

I really have to wonder as well why was it announced as early as it did if it was known they wouldn't be able to reveal much until E3. I mean, they had to know that wouldn't really do any good, perhaps something unexpected happened at some point which caused that?

Furthermore, if I remember correctly, all this is gonna be released this year, leaving only a few months from E3 until release to go from pretty much no information to knowing it all and having it in our hands. While that could probably cause a pretty fluid stream of information and reveals, I don't know how good it would be to just play all the cards together like that.

I really have to wonder as well why was it announced as early as it did if it was known they wouldn't be able to reveal much until E3. I mean, they had to know that wouldn't really do any good, perhaps something unexpected happened at some point which caused that?

So people would get used to steroid knuckles and then want to see more from it at E3. lol

jks but who knows. Must be a reason though.