Awoo.

Classic Sonic Sound-Effects

WarioBone

The modern sound effects really annoy me for some reason. Especially jumping (SHWUP) and the homing attack (CHOO). It sounds...mechanical.

I love the menu selection sound from SA2. That's a classic sound effect for me.

I also liked in Sonic Heroes, when all three characters would perform a homing dash you'd get a louder than usual SHHHoooom.

I kinda like the modern jumping sound in Generations, but I like the classic sound effects better.

I am REALLY not fond of the CD/Chaotix/Generations classic jump sound effect - it's annoying to me. The S1/S2/S3/S&K one is just so much better and more fitting.

I like the sound in S3&K when Sonic morphs into Super/Hyper Sonic.

I also like the sound in Sonic 1 when sonic picks up an item box shield. Sounds like 'uuumm' or 'wuumm'.

Do you remember in Sonic 1, were at the end of Act 1&2 when you touch the finishing post and jump into the air, sometimes you can score a few points (i.e 1000, 500 or 250). The points appear on screen when you jump foward (arc) into the air at speed having touched the finishing post. That was a cool sound effect.

Edited by MilesKnightwing
  • Thumbs Up 1

Why they changed the Super Sonic transformation sound in 3&K to that dumb cartoony thing in Doomsday Zone I have no idea, it just sounds so jarring.

Springs still sound best as the classic noise, jump is just whatever really, but the classic jump noise is jarring in Adventure. The speed booster has the best sound as of 06 onwards, though.

And the searchlight noise in White Acropolis is great, especially during End of the World where it contrasts with the calm music and all the shit going on.

Relevant, but I love the fact that almost every gas station I go to, the "scan item" sound is identical to the "ring get" sfx from Sonic. It's awesome when you point it out and the guy behind the counter is like "Yes! You know!" or this jaw-dropping look sweeps their face and they go "My god, you're right."

Personal favorite though? I always liked that crazy whooshing sound effect from Sonic 2 when you get the monitor that switches places with your buddy in two-player. Can't pinpoint why, but I thought it was the craziest thing in the world at the time haha.

And to put it out there, for whatever reason I hate the jump sound effect from Sonic CD.

• Thumbs Up 1

I like the new sounds and some of the old sounds but old sound I really enjoy is the bubble breathing in sound...or whatever hahaha

Why they changed the Super Sonic transformation sound in 3&K to that dumb cartoony thing in Doomsday Zone I have no idea, it just sounds so jarring.

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure the "sweeeeeeee!" noise is actually part of the music and the transformation noise is deafened.

But I love the transformation noise. Always made me think Sonic/Tails/Knuckles were going "HUWAAAAH!" to transform.

There's so much personality in the classic sound effects. One of my favorite more obscure effects are the sounds the bumpers make in Sonic CD, it's an almost vocal "BWWAHH".

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure the "sweeeeeeee!" noise is actually part of the music and the transformation noise is deafened.

There is a part of the music that sounds similar to the transformation noise used in Doomsday, but the different transformation noise is still there. Compare this:

To this at the 1:28 mark.

The Sonic 3 sound effect morphing into Super/Hyper Sonic sounds better than the Sonic 2 sound effect.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have to say...

Holy shit. That thing was ridiculous. Was that tool-assisted?

Edited by Gilda
  • Thumbs Up 2

I have to say...

Holy shit. That thing was ridiculous. Was that tool-assisted?

Tool-assisted speedrun? I think so. There is virtually no information regarding the video on youtube. AIl it says is that the bosses were input my someone else. So the footage obviously has been pieced to together.

That person must have been going for a speedrun world record. We often joke about Supert/Hyper Sonic raping the landscape. However, in this instance that is exactly what he does and you can see how that nearly breaks the game. It's ridiculous.

One of the things I love about S3&K is that there are hardly any glitchs/bugs throughout. It is such a polished title. Damn that video for trying to show the game up! Whereas Sonic 2006 would be the extreme opposite as in the least polished and the most glitches.

Would like to say that being able to re-play Angel Island from a saved game in S3&K, and being able to play as Hyper Sonic is brilliant.