Awoo.

So Does anyone have it?

sjmaster92

After about a month away from the game, I booted it up last night and found a number of people playing online! Did about 5 races with three other dudes. Lots of fun!

Oh yeah, and the game controlled great! Even after being away from the game for so long, it was easy to get into and control. The negative reviews can stuff it.

Edited by Barry the Nomad
  • Thumbs Up 7

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i got sonic free riders its not as good as it hyped up to be the story isnt that great

I never thought the game was hyped to be good to begin with. If anything, it was slammed so much by the media, that by the time I played it my expectations were very low. Though, as my posts indicate above, I enjoyed it just as much as I enjoy the more wacky SEGA arcade titles like Ollie King, 18 Wheeler or Jambo! Safari.

With a stroke of luck, my roommate decided to purchase the Kinect, which means I get a chance to play around with it. I downloaded the Sonic FreeRiders Demo and my friends and I gave it a test run.

It's not the easiest game to get the hang of, but I was pleasantly surprised with how immersive the game really is once you figure out the controls. It feels glitchy here and there in terms of move recognition, but for the most part it was a fun experience. This is one of the few times I've heard my friends say they've had fun playing a Sonic game. I'm not going to shell out my money for a full version, but I feel that this game was a good one.

Really, the only limitations to being better is the Kinect itself, which I find has trouble tracking my movements at a fast pace. I think that the "motion capture" style of play still needs some fine tuning, but for now, this is a great step beyond the normal idea of video games.

The game does suffer from being a first generation Kinect title. Also, not being internally developed by MS lead to it not being as accurate as Kinect Sports or other MS developed titles.

Notice that with Kinect Sports/Adventures your character matches your movements as though they are a living puppet. Meanwhile, Free Riders doesn't mimic you but rather looks for specific moves that the character then imitates based on pre-programmed animations. When I put my arms out in a "T" and twist from side to side in Kinect Sports/Adventures the on screen player performs my motions. But in Free Riders, Sonic (or whoever I am) does what I am doing, but they aren't my motions.

That was my once niggle, but once I knew what actions the game best responded to, I learned to do the same actions every time for the best (and in most cases perfect) controls.

That is why I think the game received a lot of harsh criticism, because the players were trying to play very loose and organically when the game does not control that way. You have to know the moves in order to know the controls. Dance Central plays this same way, however unlike Free Riders there are no on screen prompts saying "hold your arms out and pivot with your waist for ideal turning".

Free Riders sort of reminds me of Seaman in a way, because like I mentioned above with SFR, Seaman best replies to certain phrases and questions. When one plays Seaman knowing that he listens for specific phrases, the game really opens up and progresses. Of course Seaman won't reply to somebody saying "uh... do you like... my friend Doug who lives in New York? SEAAAMANNNN!!!" but he will reply to "How old are you?" or "Do you love me?". SFR won't respond to some dude changing up their stance constantly and standing at an odd angle and then half jumping with their hands wiggling about. But it will respond to somebody standing sideways, arms outstretched, pivoting at the waist and bending at the knees before going into a jump.

It's not the Kinect, but rather the way the developers decided to have the game control. I found that the decision they made lead to the game not being as casual friendly, but it does play very well once you know how everything is done.

Edited by Barry the Nomad
  • Thumbs Up 1

i got sonic free riders its not as good as it hyped up to be the story isnt that great

Sega didn't hype up Sonic Free Riders from what I can remember. :mellow: The only Sonic title they've hyped up to death last year was Sonic 4, even Sonic Colors didn't get that treatment.

I have Sonic Free Riders since Christmas but I still haven't played it yet. I really don't want to get a Kinect just for one game and there's really no games on the Kinect that interest me, it's just a bunch of mini games or workout titles for it now.

Sega didn't hype up Sonic Free Riders from what I can remember. :mellow: The only Sonic title they've hyped up to death last year was Sonic 4, even Sonic Colors didn't get that treatment.

I have Sonic Free Riders since Christmas but I still haven't played it yet. I really don't want to get a Kinect just for one game and there's really no games on the Kinect that interest me, it's just a bunch of mini games or workout titles for it now.

Smart move, but good news is Child of Eden, Gunstringer, Virtua Tennis 4 and Rise of Nightmares are on the way. Cannot WAIT for those titles.