Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Larger casts are good for continuity.

Provided that they're handled well and balanced so that they don't all occupy the same place at once. Excuse me for stating the obvious, but I just get picky about that as while a larger cast can be good for continuity, it can also be a mess for it as well.

Not once did I ever find the large cast in Archie Sonic unmanegable, they play the roles they've been given quite well (yes even Sally, sue me).

• Thumbs Up 1

Because you seem to have a problem with Naugus and Geoff in your review, you don't even use their names. One is the villain and one is the lackey.

Could it be because they just don't have much of an impact in the issues that I read, bat faced monkey man is just a tad "Bawhahaha by legal right this throne is mine! Now watch me wave my magic sceptor around for a while" Whilst Sonic and everyone else spends... what is it? 5 pages deciding if they're going to fight him or not? Skunk boy is almost exactly the same, he spends around 3 pages trying to decide whose side he's on before anybody bothers to fight him.

If that's a clusterfuck to you then the pig in the jacket must blow your fucking mind. It just sounds like you don't give it a chance.

What the fuck does that have to do with anything that I said?

Porker Lewis is one character in a series that typically had no more than 6 active main characters. There was usually 1 new character brought in per strip, quite often this was either a new one off villain or an invention of Robotniks, it was rare for them to return, but when they did there was usually a reason and they actually had an effort/impact in the story other than being there as simply a filler.

The problem with archie is that it's the exact opposite. Theres so many characters in it, only about 2 of them appear to have any significant role in a particular strip, let alone the whole universe as a whole. Why are they in the strips and constantly being brought into the strip when they appear to have absolutely zero impact or significant reason to be there?

How long would a reduced Sonic cast last before it got old? It would get tired like Sonic X. Larger casts are good for continuity.

No they're not.

Good stories keep a series going and attracting new readers, not the size of the cast list. I can't believe you honestly believe the otherside of that. Especially since from what I've read the bulk of the characters that actually have speaking roles or even non sepaking but active roles in the story just shouldn't be there or have no use.

The problem you have with archie from what I can see is that it rely's far too much on all these characters who seem to just be there for filler offering next to nothing in order for the story to progress.

Yardley's art today is simple, but succeeds for it.

Or it looks unfinished. It appears that he spent so much time working on the characters that he either forgot or couldn't be bothered to do anything else. For goodness sake I got taught this in GCSE art, "if you're going to add tons of detail into your picture, either start in the middle and work your way out or make sure everything has equal detail, otherwise the final piece looks unfinished."

So far, the Genesis arc has been completely boring for me. I thought it would be the perfect time for me to get back into the series, since I'd left it by the wayside just a few months before Ken got replaced. I was also a huge fan of Ian's old fancomic, Other M, so I had high hopes. So far, I haven't been impressed.

Character interaction is better than I remember it being, but the storyline as a whole just feels extremely rushed. This isn't a comic anymore; its just a videogame that takes the controller out of your hands. Apparently, after the Genesis arc, things will go back to a more "normal" state, and then maybe the comic can take a damn breather.

What the fuck does that have to do with anything that I said?

You didn't say it, but you're being dismissive of characters you don't understand. It's like if I say Porker Lewis sucks and I've read two issues of STC.

There was usually 1 new character brought in per strip, quite often this was either a new one off villain or an invention of Robotniks, it was rare for them to return, but when they did there was usually a reason and they actually had an effort/impact in the story other than being there as simply a filler.

Why do you think Naugus and Geoff are filler characters? They're the villains of the whole King and Crown arc. What you are describing sounds like a monster-of-the-week formula which is like many episodes of Sonic X. That's the opposite of continuity. There are only so many stories you can tell.

Good stories keep a series going and attracting new readers, not the size of the cast list. I can't believe you honestly believe the otherside of that.

I didn't say more characters always make it better, like an idiot. It gives you more options on what you want to do next. Ongoing series suffer decay in quality if they don't get something fresh. Archie has supporting heroes and villains like any other series. Read me the list of characters from Doctor Who.

Edited by Dabnikz

Wasn't there a sort of reboot of sorts in the Sonic comic recently? If so what's a good place to jump into this series? I just added it to my pull list, and was wondering which back issues to get (to start). Did the new direction start with #225?

Wasn't there a sort of reboot of sorts in the Sonic comic recently? If so what's a good place to jump into this series? I just added it to my pull list, and was wondering which back issues to get (to start). Did the new direction start with #225?

Its a temporary 4 issue reboot, the story's gonna continue next month.

Then what the hell, may I ask, is the point? If this "reboot" isn't showing us the legitimate past of the characters (which it obviously isn't),

Edited by Soniman032-

Then what the hell, may I ask, is the point? If this "reboot" isn't showing us the legitimate past of the characters (which it obviously isn't), is getting in the way of the natural flow of the series' storyline (which it is, coming out of nowhere basically), and isn't even particularly interesting (by comic book standards), why does it exist? To pimp out Generations? Please. Every time Archie has tried to integrate a Sonic game's plot into itself in the past has been a mess, confusing, or simply inconsequential.

Hell, I STILL don't know what the hell was up with the comic for SA2 they did. From what I remember of their excuse, Archie knew next to nothing about that game when they wrote their adaption, and had maybe one solitary photo of Shadow fluttering around its offices. And after the adaption, which cut into the ongoing storyline I might add, it was hardly ever spoken of again. Shadow is a bigger part of the comic series nowadays, but I can't say if they ever fixed the damage they did to him in the past.

I have a question about the trades that collect the series 4 issues at a time. I was wondering, are they actual trades that are the size of a comic book, or are they the size of an Archie Digest?

Bah. Not getting them then. Thanks for the info, you just saved me a few bucks. I'll just start collecting back issues. (I guess you didn't REALLY save me any money lol)

Then what the hell, may I ask, is the point? If this "reboot" isn't showing us the legitimate past of the characters (which it obviously isn't), is getting in the way of the natural flow of the series' storyline (which it is, coming out of nowhere basically), and isn't even particularly interesting (by comic book standards), why does it exist? To pimp out Generations? Please. Every time Archie has tried to integrate a Sonic game's plot into itself in the past has been a mess, confusing, or simply inconsequential.

Hell, I STILL don't know what the hell was up with the comic for SA2 they did. From what I remember of their excuse, Archie knew next to nothing about that game when they wrote their adaption, and had maybe one solitary photo of Shadow fluttering around its offices. And after the adaption, which cut into the ongoing storyline I might add, it was hardly ever spoken of again. Shadow is a bigger part of the comic series nowadays, but I can't say if they ever fixed the damage they did to him in the past.

It's most likely that

With the storyline that's going on now and the preview from #132 it looks like Ian may trying to bring back Robotization. Since past storylines in the comics mean this can't happen, a reboot is brought in which will probably reset the conditions and therefore allow some form of Robotization to happen. It wouldn't be the first time a comic universe did this, This is just my theory though.

And regarding the Shadow storyline, you have to remember that it was over 13 years agos when they wrote the story and probably another year before that before they wrote up the script. Archie and Sega probably had commication issues back then due to the lack of technology that we have today and the comic has gone through many changes since then. At the end of the day it may have been thought as just a game adaption, much like that of Sonic Colours, and Sonic Unleashed and therefore they did not expect to bring Shadow back in the comic.

I have a question about the trades that collect the series 4 issues at a time. I was wondering, are they actual trades that are the size of a comic book, or are they the size of an Archie Digest?

Actually if your talking about the thing like "Sonic Universe The Shadow Saga" volume, I saw it the other day in Forbidden planet. It is the size of the normal comics. I didn't get it because I already have all four of the Shadow saga but it also had pencil sketches and character profiles on just about everyone who turned up in the arc (don't remember Blaze n Marine though)

Sonic Archives and Knuckles Archives are digest size, Sonic Selects are slightly smaller than the average comic, and Sonic Universe is regular comic size.

Which are tiny in the first place.

/randomandinconsequentialnitpick

Looks like there's at least a temporary semblance of a schedule now. i mean, SU#32 isn't weeks early this time!

Typing while I'm reading 228

>Oh Shit it is Tails....damn weren't you on the cover of 227, the issue you didn't make an appearance in?

>>Notice the title under Sally? Courageous leader.

>Introductions and the typical Cute Tails nerdgasms.

>Yes, Eggman survived Sally. And she is supposed to be the smart one?

>Dismantling Eggman's infrastructure? Well, that sounds like a great idea except for the fact that it never works. This whole comic book has always been dismantling his infrastructure and how successful the heroes have been at doing so only for their efforts to be wasted as Eggman always assuredly comes back.

>>Yes, the plans does sound meticulous and prodding, Sonic. For once, an independent, non-aligned Sonic is making some damn sense.

>So Sally thinks Tails is incapable of doing anything of any import because he is too young while forgetting that in this setting and in this point in time, the entire crew is comprised of mostly pre-teens, one of which has super speed and another is mechanical child prodigy?

>>Now that I think about it, how old are they?

>Classic game designed Eggman is fucking sexy.

>>Don't judge me.

>Chemical Plant Zone! And it is a well-designed background for once.

>>Okay, really? Eggman had a conveniently placed lev-elevator that allowed anyone to be able to make their way through his facility? Yeah, Ian, we all know that you want Sally to be part of this adventure, but for fucks sake, try harder.

>>>Hey, guys. Since we all think Sonic Team is lazy, there probably is a secret elevator that transports you through half the stage in Sonic Generations.

>On the bright side, I am enjoying hyper active Tails. He seems to be really enjoying himself and exhibiting the very much adorable jubilation that you would expect from a child.

>Each character, save for one(guess who) has a personality. Antoine is a coward. Rotor likes to make fun of Antoine for taking everything so seriously and frequently calls him out for it. Tails is childish as well as intelligent. Sonic is rash, quick to the point, and hyper active.

>I honestly enjoy when Sonic and Tails interact with each other. It really shouldn't be a rarity.

>Tails makes this issue, really. You don't see him act this way that much anymore. Sure, Sonic Colors, he was snarky and funny, but to see him jump in danger is if he were running into a pool is absolutely adorable.

>And the useless people are in danger yet again.

>>I actually do like Antoine and Rotor so don't take it as game centrism.

>>I find it hilarious that Sally questioned Tails when it is she that needs to be saved most of time.

>Tails should speak in a loquacious manner to Sonic only for him to ask in layman's terms what he meant. Tails describing poisonous Megamuck as soup is adorable.

>Okay, Sally is an ungrateful bitch. "I could have climbed out on my own." Well, fuck you too.

>Ship teasing. Wouldn't be an Ian Flynn written tale without it.

>OOOH A CALLBACK TO THE GAMES! Tails can't fly for too long. Yay! Somewhere, some poor sap is satisfied with that detail.

>"Did the fumes get to your head?" Sometimes, I wonder Sonic.

>Flashback to 225...or is it seeing the future? Or seeing the future in some alternate timeline with different origins? I don't know anymore. I don't know.

>>Speaking of which, where the fuck is Knuckles?

>Sonic finally ditching Sally? Pinch me, I'm dreaming.

>Aww, Sally's having a bitch fit. Don't worry. The characters will excuse her behavior and it will never be brought up again.

>Now I am definitely confused. They are in Oil Ocean Zone now? How in the hell did they make it past the other five? There is no way in hell they made it past Mystic Cave Zone without the help of Sonic or Tails.

>Sonic is in Metropolis Zone now? Jesus, we didn't even see Hilltop zone dammit.

>>If I don't see Wing Fortress....

>It may be my opinion, but these issues would be a lot more enjoyable if we actually went through each stage of the main game series and actually did get to see them in all their glory and actually gotten a hardy explanation of why Eggman had them.

Edited by turbojet

>Flashback to 225...or is it seeing the future? Or seeing the future in some alternate timeline with different origins? I don't know anymore. I don't know.

>Sonic finally ditching Sally? Pinch me, I'm dreaming.

Sonic only ditched her after he had a flashback of her getting shot in issue 225. He ditched her so he and Tails can go after Robotnik on there own to keep the others safe.

>It may be my opinion, but these issues would be a lot more enjoyable if we actually went through each stage of the main game series and actually did get to see them in all their glory and actually gotten a hardy explanation of why Eggman had them.

Edited by Immortheus

Friggin' AWESOME covers! Glad to see that Knuckles is going to play a bigger role in the upcoming arc and that the Rogues' SU arc is going to cross paths with the main cast! biggrin.png

Anyway, I just got SU #32 in the mail, but the preview pages aren't out yet, so anyone who wants spoilers can shoot me a PM. smile.png

Edited by chaoscontrol14
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wait....so the Babylon Rogues arc somehow crosses over into the current Sonic arc?

And...the Rouges teamed up with the Armada?

So many mysteries.....I need answers!

I can't tell if that is the Armada or it is part of Eggman's Dark EGG Legion. Perhaps the Babylons turn the Armada against the Eggman Empire?

I wonder how this is going to play out since the Babylons cross paths with Sonic and his gang of fighters.

The Battlebird Armada is part of the Dark Egg Legion.

And I completely missed the point of that post. Sorry

Edited by turbojet