Awoo.

The Sonic Stadium's 11th Birthday!

Dreadknux

Does TSS still do game reviews? I haven't seen one since like Unleashed.

Certainly does.

I like the "the only thing wrong with 2004 was all of it" bit at the beginning. Oh, EZ Boards. You so silly.

YaBB, actually. The ezboard went byebye mid-'04.

I haven't even been here long enough to have any more profound memories than silly things like fads and users whom will not be named screwing up the forum for a few hours to a few days.

SSMB Women's Day, lul. When was the exact date of that again? July 10th? And remember the time there was like 3 or 4 different topics about "Should [Character] get their own game?" Those are just a couple of examples of the fads.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmm, well, I don't post all too often, but I guess I can show some input. Originally I wasn't even part of the site here, I had only been to the site's "official" tinychat because of one Silva Rymes. It was there that I met Ninjashark, Kamicciolo, Serperior, Mimi, Noir, and others. After about a month of being there, I figured why not join the site, it can't be that bad from what Silva's told me. I ended up staying here, moving completely from the Sonic thread on Gaia Online. I haven't been there in a LONG time, heheh. I'm glad I decided to stay too, this place is a lot more friendly than Gaia ever was, and despite how I don't post all too often (I'm more of a lurker in the shadows), I've met some cool people and mods. Anyhow, happy birthday SSMB ^^

I really only found the forum in 2009, and even then I made a few posts and sort of forgot about this place. It wasn't until last year that I came back and really stayed. There hasn't been anything really that memorable for me since I've been here except stumbling upon a few interesting topics and watching some users get perma-banned due to their own stupidity.

Maybe in a couple years I'll have more concrete memories of this place. Still have that sinking feeling that this place won't be around that long but we'll see.

WE. WILL. SEE.

*comes from the shadow in the corner and lights a cigarette*

*cough* It was September 4, 2005. *long-drawn inhale* That's the day I signed my life over to internet.

But yeah, I joined the SSMB then looking for guitar tabs since I was really into doing guitar covers of Sonic songs at the time lawl. Never joined a forum, and didn't really know what it was either, but hot damn those shiny chaos emeralds under people's avatars made me want to post LOL. So over time I got to know some folks, watch them go, and welcome new members. It's really hard to think that I spent 6 years of my life here. That's over a 1/4 of my life span, that's how nuts that is. That said, I don't think I'd be the same person I am today with out this site, so I really owe it one.

So grats SSMB! My soul really does still belong to you, =D!

• Thumbs Up 1

Well I really didn't get into the internet until 2007(well 2006 to be exact) so I didn't have any knowledge of this place until around 2008, back when Sonic Unleashed was the hottest thing.

I joined in 09( like only a few hours after that whole wipeout of the boards no less) but didn't post until last year do to " things that really shouldn't have bothered me at the time". But yeah I'm glad I did. This can be quite the fun place to talk about Sonic and the like. Happy birthday Stadium!

Man I been lingering around the stadium since 2005....sad though as I really didn't start coming out and expressing myself till Unleashed came out...lol back then I was known as Chaotic!!! and had this weird fixation with Dark Super Sonic.

Unleashed days were the best days I ever had at this place...I miss those days so much...any happy B-day SSMB/TSS and I hope your still around when I'm 32 in 10 years and I have kids and shit possibly.

What? Like I'm gonna ever stop playing Sonic....hahah even at 32 I'ma be spanking my kids in Sonic games ;P

Edited by V0YANT
  • Thumbs Up 3

I've only been around for 2 years...

My best memories here are either the pre-Sonic 4 announcement contests and it's last few hours or the E3/TGS Press-Conference topics.

Happy Birthday!

Edited by MarcelloF

Wow... TSS HAS been around for a long time hasn't it?

The earliest memories I have coming here are from around late 2004 when all the hype surrounding Shadow the Hedgehog was just starting up (and that initial trailer had made us all scratch our heads in bewilderment).

I only went and joined the boards back in 2008 following Unleashed's release. If I remember rightly... I wanted a board to sign up to so I could voice my opinions on the game... and out of all of the ones I knew of back then, SSMB put me off the least XD.

Heres hoping it will continue to be around for a long time and congratulations to TSS staff!

Memories, eh? Where to begin? Well, I guess let's just start now. This is going to be a bit long.

When I first registered I think it was around in 2006 while looking for Sonic communities to spend time in. Originally I was merely a lurker, overwhelmed by the size and brevity of what the community had to offer, and stayed quiet, as terrible experiences from my first forum I got around to join were still a sensitive subject to me. The only post I made first hand was in the showcase topic to show a song that I had made, but it received zero replies and fell into obscurity. I did spend time around the community activities however; I remember when the first Summer of Sonic kicked off and it was but a website, and I just loved going to the fan sections and playing the games, watching the videos and everything else that the site had to offer. I was still but a lurker however, as I had mostly kept up activity on a slightly more condensed Sonic community than this one.

When getting familiar, Sonic 06 was critically panned, and being the blind kind of fanboy I was I didn't buy into the countless criticisms posed by critics. I told this to myself without having actually been able to play it, but instead I began looking forward to Sonic and The Secret Rings. Around this time, I decided to spend a bit more time posting on the board but it didn't seem to last. When I heard of the Sonic Site Awards though (not sure what year it was but I specifically remember Sonic Cage Dome winning best Sonic site and "CAN WE TRY THIS AGAIN?"), I decided to listen in to the show, and found it incredibly entertaining. Some of the most hilarious time I had was listening to that particular episode, and I would listen to the recorded show on my MP3 at school. At that point I occasionally listened into the shows hosted by Dread and Roarey, as well as being in the IRC at the time. That was probably the first time I actually spent a relatively frequent time on the sites and the TSS Network. Goddamn, who remembers FastFeed Media?

When assuming activity Sonic Unleashed's existence had been leaked. The Sonic board that I was spending time on had long since lost its interest in actual Sonic games, so I migrated to the only "big" community I knew of, and that was the SSMB. Having had matured since the years, I wasn't as shy in approaching the board as I used to be, and I got into a number of active discussions and remained a constant, but I don't think I ever got the chance to solidify myself as being a member who's "widely recognized" for lack of a better term. Maybe I did. Maybe I didn't. The reason I probably can't tell is cause I wouldn't become truly active until after the server wipe that wrecked the boards and had to require everyone to re-register. The plain skin, the slow recovering of a lot of old faces and somewhat bland nature almost put me off on spending time here again, so I didn't make much effort in posting for long. Somehow I found myself back here and pursued another straightforward streak of posting as it was my secondary "community" of choice. Two things would change up my activity on the boards and make my time frequent; the time when the boards had a little tournament in Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing where I got to chat with some members, including Shadzter and YoshiUnity, and then the reveal of Sonic Colors. If the recent histories of Sonic games had taught me anything in regards to how my cycle usually was, it's that my activity only goes on increase during a pre-release, release and post-release hype cycle, and usually my preferred place of posting on the boards had been Computer Games, but Sonic Colors kind of smashed that. I loved that game so much that I partook actively in every conceivable discussion, and I think it was only at this point that I started to make myself known, especially in the hectic thread about how Sonic Colors compared to Unleashed.

My activity resumed in a constant, and with the 20th anniversary around the corner, speculation and talk was high about the next "major" Sonic outing. I was pretty excited myself, but I never partook in the rampant speculation, that just didn't seem like my kind of bag. Around the time Generations was revealed though, and we got our sub forum, it was hard to not get excited. Midst the leaks and reveals, there was a lot of rage and celebrations to be had, and then at July 1st and amazing thing happened.

When joining the staff team I logged on that morning to kind of find my profile overrun by visits from numerous staff members. I didn't pay attention to it, but having had just become acquainted with Sean some days back, and Pelly around the same day, I had suspicions about the deal. Around mid day while I was playing my shitty weeaboo games, the Personal Notification window popped up and a message from Chris was in my inbox. I was not prepared for what was to come, I thought I had done something bad at first. I opened it up however, and the only thing in that message was the oh-so-formal sentence of "Would you like to become a mod for the boards?" My heart skipped a beat and I was hesitant to accept it. I wanted to talk to Sean about it first, but I accepted it nervously since that Cali bastard wasn't on in my time zone. I got on the staff boards seeing that the people vouching for me were in unanimous favor, and I felt rather giddy and a bit embarrassed about it. What followed then was weeks or so of uncertainty and lack of balls for doing excessive staff action such as banning or striking, as well as racing with other mods toward the report center (good times), but I seemed to get used to it quickly, and the rest is history.

And finally we're at present. SSMB has been a fantastic place to spend time on and I hope to go on with it for as long as possible, it's changed the lives of quite a few people and it's amazing to see that after 11 years, it's still going strong. The most impressive thing is seeing how many of the old members are still up and active since then. The board had to hit the reset button twice, and not once did this end up killing the community, in fact, it just became tighter. So here's to the past 11 years, and hopefully, another 11 more years.

• Thumbs Up 9

I remember originally joining the forum way back in early/mid-2005. I was all hyped up about Sonic Gems Collection and everyone here was hoping for SegaSonic The Hedgehog to make an appearance. But alas, it did not.

I had my character Tylky The Dog designed and created for me back then too, those were the days...

I started off by lurking around here for a few months before deciding to join. I was also a member at about two other message boards before joining this one. Making fan stories based on Sonic Heroes. xD

I do recall sides being taken in the latter half of 2005, me being one of those "against Shadow" members. xD

I was only here for a brief period, between mid-2005 and mid-2006. (simply because Sonic '06 was only available for the PS3 and Xbox 360, and I didn't have those consoles - plus the fact that at the time I found the game too serious) I was only 13/14 years old at the time and now I've decided to rejoin simply because of the Sonic Generations hype as previously mentioned!

So, Happy Birthday to The Sonic Stadium and (The) Sonic Stadium Message Boards. Here's to another 11 years!

P.S. I'm not gonna lie, but I'm looking forward to this surprise you hold. wink.png

I joined this place from an invite of a past SSMB member here. I think what happened was, I was fresh from a forum site that me and my buddies started, I was moderator, and he was an admin. We had to close the site down because he couldn't pay for it anymore. So my bud who was here, i think it was....shadewolf or something..and he said he got bashed really hard because of an art topic and other topics he started. So I come here, join up, people loved me, Taz is awesome. As for that guy that referred me here, i guess he's a youtube-r now, or at least that's what he told me after I joined here.

But anyways, 11 YEARS NINTENDO FORUMS! WHOOOOO! Who wants a Jack Daniels?!

When was the first time you joined TSS/SSMB? What are your fondest memories of your time on the site? I'm going to run down a list of memories from the archive on TSS later today, but here I'm really curious to know what you guys think..

Happy birthday TSS/SSMB, and many thanks to everyone who has worked on the site, forum, radio station and everything else associated with it - both past and present! smile.png Let's have a booze-up!

I joined in 2004. Once again, music usually plays a really big part in games for me, and I went online to find some music from the Sonic 1-3 games. TSS opened up to me and was very kind and giving. The next time I was going to download music, I found the same site, and I noticed a Register button. I wanted to thank the site by becoming part of the community and checking it out and stuff!

My fondest memories? I loved browsing my most active section at the time - The Station Square Meet & Greet section. Posting in every introduction topic, showing members around, oh it felt so awesome. Another really fond memory was when the SoniClans sections arrived. Some members were sceptical, but I was excited from the first moment of announce. I shortly became a clan leader and was handed some responsibility, along with access to the SoniClans staff section. Due to inactivity from others, I was later made SoniClan Staff.

At some point near Christmas, someone else and I were suddenly asked to aid the SSMB Staff Team due to rumours of a forum raid or something. It involved posting with no changes to member tags and not having access to staff forums, reports or resources, but having the same authority as staff and carrying most of the staff abilities. Felt like undercover. Fun! Nothing actually happened from what I recall, and later it seemed like the admins had forgotten to move me back down to SoniClans Staff. The SoniClans activity slowly started to die, despite my desperate attempts to keep things alive and posting up activity threads and planning in the staff section. An announcement was then made to remove SoniClans from the SSMB, and I was a little sad since not only had I put some effort into keeping it alive, but I would lose some of the purpose I had on the SSMB. However the admins then asked if I wanted to join the SSMB Staff Team full-time despite the current moderator team's opinion. I happily accepted and thus gained super special awesome powers along with a permanent key which mysteriously fit into the keyhole of every topic.

I saw others type up their stories, and the next thing I know is I made another boring firewall of text! So TLDR: Happy birthday, SSMB! I ate up the chocolate cake I made for you. I know you can't eat cake, and I did not want to tempt you further, so I ate for the both of us (and all members!)

Kyubeykawaii.png

• Thumbs Up 6

11 years. Impressive, Dread. Not many fansites stay around as long or have such a big userbase.

dgn_sonic_birthday.jpg

Just change the 17 to an 11 <3<

When was the first time you joined TSS/SSMB? What are your fondest memories of your time on the site? I'm going to run down a list of memories from the archive on TSS later today, but here I'm really curious to know what you guys think..

Let's see......I remember lurking around back in early 2007 and joined around October of 2007 (I remember because I joined shortly before I left to go on a short vacation). Generally, my foundest memory is when I got more comfortable around here and started really coming here alot. I don't have a great memory for the place because everyday is great here. I would've loved to see the 06 fiasco, but I was here for the Unleashed and Sonic 4 one :V.

Happy birthday TSS/SSMB, and many thanks to everyone who has worked on the site, forum, radio station and everything else associated with it - both past and present! smile.pngLet's have a booze-up!

But I'm too young :(

I just remembered another memory that sticks fondly with me. The various events we've run here on the forums. A few stick out:

Hallowe'en Pumpkin Competition

This was the first forum event that I singlehandedly ran. It was moderately successful; I remember we got about 11 entries, which isn't bad for a competition requiring people to actually make something. I remember making banners and running announcements and basically just having SUCH a good time.

Christmas Sig Swap

One year we had an event where you could sign up and be paired with another member, and you'd make a signature for the other person. It was a lot of fun and about half the forum went around with crazy signatures for a month or so.

Mixtape Exchange

This was just such a cool idea. I love expanding my music collection, and physically sending CDs to each other just made it extra special. I feel incredibly guilty however as I still owe Vasco a mixtape!!

SSMB Man of the Year

I forget exactly what the event was called, but it was the male version of a pageant. Guys could sign up and had to do three different things. I'll always remember this incredibly fondly because I entered and came third XD;

And of course there have been plenty of other wonderful events! April Fools, game tie-ins, competitions... It's one thing I really want to keep going. Community events. I love them so.

• Thumbs Up 1

Let's see......I remember lurking around back in early 2007 and joined around October of 2007 (I remember because I joined shortly before I left to go on a short vacation). Generally, my foundest memory is when I got more comfortable around here and started really coming here alot. I don't have a great memory for the place because everyday is great here. I would've loved to see the 06 fiasco, but I was here for the Unleashed and Sonic 4 one :V.

I was here into Sonic 4 I think, but I was definitely here for the Sonic Colors fiasco.smile.png

Edited by Abominal Taz

I joined on the 6th of May 2005 when I was 17 after observing since early 2004. Found the site and forum through SonicHQ's top 10 websites list :D

I may have had an occasionally bumpy ride (Disillusionment, stepping down from TSS Staffhood of my own accord) but my time here has been extremely fun and I made so many RL friends too! And haha, so many memories. The days when SSN was about, Sonic Cage Dome, fluffy was slaughtered etc are such fun memories :) Anyone else remember when there was a Sonic characters week? Where members would apply for a Sonic character and imitate them for a week? I got in on it early and got Sonic! That was awesome. I even remember that cute little game at Christmas time when a mod (Can't remember exactly who it was) posted a drawing of a christmas tree and members would take it into their paint program and put something on it of their own creation then repost it. That was classic!

I still remember the bomb that was the revelation of Shadow's own game XD People were readily posting their astonishment and cries of "HOAX!" and then there was the explosion when it was revealed to be real bwahahaha! I also remember with perfect clarity the reception of SONIC '06, people saying it'd be the best Sonic game ever and how SatSR looked boring in comparison. How wrong they were!

I still remember truly excellent members around that time that I don't believe I've heard from since; Fusionhype, Mint/Maia, Lily the Hedgehog, Speedla, ShadowKnux, Icee etc. Those were some memorable days.

• Thumbs Up 2

Geez Louise!

Looking at all these posts about the pasts makes me remember a lot more about this place than I ever have! So many thing seem so vaugely familiar. I'm pretty sure I never registered, but knowing me, I probably did and didn't remember. Plus, if I did, I probably never used it. XD

Anything from some kid with an email address that was johnnyd/97/@/hotmail/./com? (remove the slashes) That was me. That was most certianly me as a young 6 or 7 year old. I probably posted 1 sentence posts if I actually posted. Back then, I was a ridiculously slow typer, but I always made sure my grammar was ok.

I remember that I really got into the Sonic fandom when Unleashed was announced, watching trailers, checking the main site for info every single damn day, it was great. i finally joined up when the Sonic Colors wisp contest was announced. I ended up being one of the US winners, even though everyone who entered got one. XD

I've been posting ever since. The SSMB tinychat actually helped me get comfortable, thanks to the likes of Mr. Ninjashark, Mimi, Serperior, Noir, Gear, Silva_Rymes, Kamicciolo, and a few others I cannot seem to recall at this moment. So yeah! Thanks for the great times, TSS! Here's hoping for another 11 years!

Anyone else remember when there was a Sonic characters week? Where members would apply for a Sonic character and imitate them for a week? I got in on it early and got Sonic! That was awesome.

I would ABSOLUTELY do that again. This is the kind of thing that's just so silly and fun... We don't even need a fluff/forum games subforum when we have occasional events like this throughout the year ♥

I even remember that cute little game at Christmas time when a mod (Can't remember exactly who it was) posted a drawing of a christmas tree and members would take it into their paint program and put something on it of their own creation then repost it. That was classic!

We did this for two years, and one of the years I was the one who made the tree and topic. Maybe we could revive it this year? (:

I would ABSOLUTELY do that again. This is the kind of thing that's just so silly and fun... We don't even need a fluff/forum games subforum when we have occasional events like this throughout the year ♥

It really stuck out to me as memorable because I even changed my username to "Sonic the Hedgehog", my country to Indonesia/Christmas Island (Didn't know back then that Christmas Island is technically a part of Australia) and my gender to male for the sake of imitating Sonic down to the wire XD!

We did this for two years, and one of the years I was the one who made the tree and topic. Maybe we could revive it this year? (:

I for one would love to see that and other cutesy and fun participatory games on the forum ♥

Sonic Stadium is 11? Crikey.

I remember lurking here back in 2005. I was too nervous to join until 2006 where I joined for 06 info. Ah, the days we pronounced Mephiles as "Me-files". I remember April fools day 2008 where the site seemed to be down but had a pic of Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games. Many people called Bull. That was sooo wrong eh?

I attended Summer of Sonic 2010 and 2011. I hardly knew anyone but I at least chatted! I recognised a few faces around like I knew Flyboy was at the comics table in 10 and I saw HogFather at the door in 11.

Lastly I tip my hat to something that was spawned from this forum. Sonic Relief! This thing ran for a good few years and united all us Sonic fans for a good cause! It was incredible in 2011 and gave me a glow to see us all working for a good cause!

Biug Congratulations for Dread! You've worked hard and it has all payed off for you. Hope you, the Mods and everyone else here keeps on juicin'!

I feel even younger than I already did now, but I guess that's better than feeling old, right? happy.png

I got my start with the Sonic community around '04 when Shadow was in development; browsing GameFAQS, mostly. I always lurked, and due to being a shy ten year old at the time, felt pretty weird posting my own thoughts. It wasn't until '08 that I became an active member of the SEGA Forums. I stayed on there until September of 2010, got banned for not being an idiot, and came here looking for a decent message board to go to. Fortunately, I got something ten times better, and have since never browsed the internet without having a tab open for SSMB.

I didn't have Broadband Internet till 2007 ;_;

So anyway, this is a bit awkward considering I only joined these forums last year. Fun times and strange times have been had. I knew about the site, but I only really joined recently.

Oh, my my my ... Epic skin is epic! Shadow under text, glowing buttons, I love it all and I haven't even spent a minute with this thing, w00t~

• Thumbs Up 5

How have we got this far without someone mentioning the epic SSMB Nazi Rap? Oh I wish I'd thought to save a copy of that, but then again it did seem to go on forever.

Anyway, I myself joined late-April 2004, and within a month we had to escape to EZ Boards temporarily. Then of course there was when slimy g got caught. And since then, from as far as I'm concerned, its been steady. Occassional outages (including the day Shadow was announced - that was ironic), debates on how many generations of members we've had, and all the other activities that I rarely take part in and prefer to watch from the sidelines.

Oh, and Summer of Sonic is brilliant.

I may not be the most active of members, but I hope to still be coming here for many years to come.