Awoo.

Iizuka: “We Will Probably See Sonic Going into Other Genres of Games”

Detective Shadzter

Iizuka: “We Will Probably See Sonic Going into Other Genres of Games”

In an interview with GameReactor.eu, Sonic Team head Takashi Iizuka talks about where we might see the Sonic franchise go in the future. When asked how he sees the next 20 years for Sonic, Iizuka explains that while Sonic Team will keep a focus on Sonic action titles, they would also like Sonic to reach out to a wider audience. To achieve this, Iizuka says “We will probably see Sonic going into other genres of games and also seeing Sonic in different media.”

Source: GameReactor.eu

http://www.sonicstad...enres-of-games/

I can see this news get a lot of rage, but I personally wouldn't mind seeing Sonic explore more genres alongside the main action games.

Im really hoping it isn't drastic. Sonic with a gun to fight in war? Sonic with who knows what. If they adventure off to far like they did with Black Knight ect then Sega will be backtracking instead of moving forward.

Im more afraid then against it. I HOPE he doesn't bring the Sonic Cycle back. Yes a phrase many here don't like, but I hope its good rather then well, sucking.

• Thumbs Up 3

Other genres huh? Another Sonic fighting game please. Aka Sonic Battle 2.

Edited by Torcano Havoc

So in other words, Sonic Adventure 3 with Mech Shooting, treasure hunting and god knows what else?

Here we go again.

Edited by Derpy Hooves

I don't see how this is much different from what we've had already. We've already had more than one fighting game, a party game, three Olympics-themed mini-game collections, a sorta-Metroidvania, a tennis game, a racing game, an RPG... unless we're talking about Guitar Hero Crush 40 or something, I don't see what the big deal is.

"Different media", though; that is interesting. I suppose it'd be unreasonable to hope for a new, non-terrible Sonic cartoon? unsure.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Im really hoping it isn't drastic. Sonic with a gun to fight in war? Sonic with who knows what. If they adventure off to far like they did with Black Knight ect then Sega will be backtracking instead of moving forward.

Im more afraid then against it. I HOPE he doesn't bring the Sonic Cycle back. Yes a phrase many here don't like, but I hope its good rather then well, sucking.

I'm pretty sure this is referring more to spinoffs like the All-Stars games and stuff, not gameplay gimmicks like swords and guns.

SA2-esque mechs and some slick shmup action please, Sega - and if you could, an After Burner-styled section for Tails' tornado sequences rather than the glorified QTEs and rubbish on-rails shooting that we've had so far.

This sits well with me, so long as at least over a third of the gameplay is still the traditional speedy platforming.

Edited by eXtaticus
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sonic already explored other genres so why would the fans raged about this? It's not like Sonic hasn't already done this before. I wouldn't mind another Sonic racing or fighting spin off game.

Edited by sonfan1984

I'm pretty sure this is referring more to spinoffs like the All-Stars games and stuff, not gameplay gimmicks like swords and guns.

Oh well in that case, bring on sega all stars fighting!

• Thumbs Up 4

I don't mind change, as long as its something that can actually match sonic.

Although I preferred the werehog over nearly all the alternate gameplay styles that weren't sonic stages.

Although if there just spin off like All stars racing, I don't really care.

Edited by Mephiles550

Oh no... While I personally don't mind this news myself (as long as the new games are good), this probably isn't going to help the general media's perception of Sonic too much. I thought that Sega would try to release a few more good/great pure Sonic games to fully win the the public over before trying something like this. As great as Generations was, it and Colors probably aren't enough to have the public trust Sega with genre-shifting gameplay again.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic already explored other genres before so why would the fans raged about this? I wouldn't mind another Sonic racing or fighting game.

Just wait until the news hits the SEGA Forums tongue.png Some people don't like change, even if it has happened before and some will claim Iizuka's going to drag Sonic through the mud.

I'd like them to explore more genres myself, though. I enjoyed Chronicles, Battle and the Sonic Riders series. I especially enjoyed SEGA Superstars Tennis and Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing, though they don't really count as Sonic games.

I totally forgot about pinball! Sonic 2 and Adventure are both absolutely fantastic games that benefited massively from their pinball sequences, and Sonic Spinball was also fairly awesome in itself - now THAT is something I'd love to see return in a big way!

FINALLY.

I've been starving for more spin-offs. A fighting game? Another racing game? Goddamnit, I'd even be fine with Team Fortress 2 with badniks or a JRPG headed by Sonic Team.

THIS PLEASES ME GREATLY. Do it to it, you game devs!

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm perfectly okay with that, although I'm more interested in the "different media" part of the quote. I hope that's PR speak for "more shorts." It's still a travesty that such a idea hasn't been tried again since Unleashed.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just wait until the news hits the SEGA Forums tongue.png Some people don't like change, even if it has happened before and some will claim Iizuka's going to drag Sonic through the mud.

I don't go to the SEGA forums and the last time I was there some members who don't like Iizuka were saying that anyway before Colors was released.

ergo, sonic is going to take the Mario route and give us a ton of new spin-offs (Sonic Kart, Super Sonic Sluggers, Sonic Hoops, Sonic the Fighters 2: Battle (oh wait...), Sonic RPG)

I Love This

This is exciting! I love the idea of seeing Sonic in other genres. I wonder what he might be thinking of though? Iizuka has always wanted to do a Sonic RPG, and that what SA1 even started out as. Thus far though he hasn't had the chance, and he didn't even have anything to do with Chronicles. That'd definitely be an awesome one. And racing too. Riders is stale and lame already but a new foot-racer could be amazing. So long as these genres aren't in vein of the Adventures/06/Unleashed and you play different types of botched platforming in what should be a great Sonic game then it's all good.

First person shooter too plz.

So does he mean differeny genres for spinoff titles or different genres for the main titles, cause for the love of god it better be the first. I want my proper Sonic fighting game. And a continuation of Chronicles. AND A SONIC R SUCCESSOR MAKE IT HAPPEN SEGA.

Also:

We will probably see Sonic going into other genres of games and also seeing Sonic in different media."

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG MOVIE

CALLING IT NOW!

EDIT:

New 52 episode Sonic anime based off the Unleashed-Colors-Generations arc followed by a theatrical movie as the series finale, animated by Gainax and using the current english cast.

...I can dream dammit.

Edited by Black Spy
  • Thumbs Up 2

What does that mean though? Sonic has already been in loads of different sorts of media: comics, TV, children's books, etc.

EDIT: Oh, and a (good) Sonic RPG would be great.

Edited by Ekaje