Awoo.

Ask the Sonic Generations composers

PC the Hedgehog

From the Sega blog:

There have been many beloved songs in the last 20 years of Sonic Games. Just like Sonic Generations took some of the most beloved levels and remade them in both Classic and Modern formats, Jun Senoue (Crush40, and Musical Director for Sonic), composers Tomoya Ohtani and Kenichi Tokoi, and Alex Makhlouf (Cash Cash) did the same with the music.

You probably have a lot of questions about what it’s like to make music for Sonic, and about the specific tracks in Generations… and here’s your chance to ask them! Post your questions [on the linked page below], and we’ll select some for these musicians. We’ll post their answers here on the blog in a few weeks for all to enjoy.

Post your questions here.

Edited by PC the Hedgehog
  • Thumbs Up 1

*remembers the Live and Learn remix in the "Sonic Anniversary: Through The Ages" trailer*

*brb.jpg*

Ugh, some of these questions, there about as intelligenant as a moss-covered rock. But i do see some Retro members shooting good questions in there.

Well SSMB, what are you guys asking?

• Thumbs Up 1

Ugh, some of these questions, there about as intelligenant as a moss-covered rock. But i do see some Retro members shooting good questions in there.

Well SSMB, what are you guys asking?

I asked why they decided to dont make Main Theme for Generations, How it was to work with Tony Harnell and Ted Poley again, What was Jun's inspiration for Death EGG Robo re-arragment and will we see more Crush 40 in future Sonic games.

I also asked if there were ever plans to make a main theme for the game or whether it was always intended to have an original final boss and ending medley theme as a secondary question.

My main question though was one I'd love to have asked to everyone: Whether they had a favourite stage that they would have loved to have seen return just so they could make the remix for it.

Might also ask when they decide to have vocal songs in the actual game levels (like they did with Sonic and the Secret Rings).

EDIT: Did so, and also had to second someone who asked whar dat Fumie Kumatani is at. 8C <3

Edited by JezMM

Here's what I wrote in.

I have a few questions for these guys concerning the music, from one musician and Sonic music aficionado to another.

First question, to Jun Senoue as the Musical Director. Concerning the extra tracks that one can unlock in-game, what kind of decisions were made over the song choices? What influenced the likelihood of “Song A” (for example’s sake: Marble Garden) being chosen over “Song B” (for example: Ice Cap)?

Second and general questions: Out of all of the songs that you’ve contributed to, which one of them are you the most proud of? Which one of them would you have wanted to work on for a little while longer?

Final question: If you could work on one more Classic and/or Modern arrangement for any stage from previous games, which one would it be and why?

I saw one good question in the comments and that's asking why only Green Hill and Sky Sanctuary have boost tracks.

I asked why they decided to dont make Main Theme for Generations,

I know what they mean, but I find it silly. The game has a main theme, it doesn't matter if it's vocal or non-vocal. I just find it annoying having to constantly see people ask why the game has no main theme.

Is it really that silly? People like vocal themes and we've had one for every single non-portable (and even a few portable) game since Sonic Adventure 2. To be fair the game hasn't REALLY got a main theme anyway. The title screen theme is reprised in the invincibility and credits and... that's it.

I mean it's obvious WHY they decided to not do one this time but it'd still be interesting to know if they considered it.

Edited by JezMM