Awoo.

Super Mario Bros. Z

Kuzu

Thought we could use a topic about this.

For those who don't know, Super Mario Bros. Z is an ongoing Flash series on Newgrounds created by flash artist Alvin Earthworm.

Smbz.jpg

As the name suggest, its a parody of Dragon Ball Z using the cast of Mario, but also incorporates Sonic as well turning it into a crossover of sorts. The premise is basically the same as the Android saga of DBZ, with the characters taking up some of the roles in the respective arc.

Mario=Goku

Luigi=Gohan

Sonic=Future Trunks

Shadow=Vegeta

Despite the blatant recycling, it does at least stay true to the character's respective series(for the most part) and their characters and background,and some some details are different.

The series is basically about Mario, Luigi, Sonic, and Shadow trying to gather the Chaos Emeralds before Mecha Sonic(Who is a combination of the traditional Metal Sonic and bunch of other Sonic bots) can and destroys the earth. Mecha Sonic murdered all of Sonic and Shadow's friends, as well as Eggman himself. And Bowser also is involved in the madness.

The series` real catcher though are the fight scenes, which are damn near awesomely animated considering the series uses sprites and 2D backgrounds, with the occasional 3D drop.

Behold:

The series has been running since 2005 and has produced 8 episodes so far, with the ninth in production after a 2 and a half year hiatus.

Episode List:

http://www.newgrounds.com/collection/supermariobrosz

SO yeah, if you never liked DBZ, you probably won't like this series, and anyone looking for anything more developed, don't hold you breath.

Edited by Shadic Claus

It's an alright series, sprite work is really nice looking. Has too many long stretches between episodes, but that's the fate of almost all Newgrounds "series".

Edited by Ekaje

It's an alright series, sprite work is really nice looking. Has too many long stretches between episodes, but that's the fate of almost all Newgrounds "series".

Its a shame too, because this one is actually good.

I've had an incredible love/hate relationship when it comes to this series. I admire Alvin's creativity when it comes to handling source material unlike most other video game tributes out there. It's also one of the only crossovers I've seen actually work in terms of character interaction, and for it's time, the battle scenes had some of the most unique and innovating techniques ever utilized in a flash movie. Considering sprite movies was one of the few things that I first kicked off doing in a public light, I saw him as a massive inspiration.

On the other hand the creativity and written tone of the series creates the same misstep I felt that Sonic and The Black Knight fell into by being relatively well presented and narrated but by being absolutely cliché'd up the ass, and on top of that it borderlines pretentiousness and is in dire need of cutting down so much of it's dialogue.

Also, Alvin can't write jokes to save his life. Many of the latter episodes are terrible because of the over-abundance of lolsorandom humor, angst and not so much lampshading it's jokes as it is hanging goddamn spotlights over them. This series is pretty much one of the chief definitions of flanderization, especially when it comes to how Luigi and Shadow interact with the other characters.

My favorite episode would probably be Episode 7, because regardless of the fact that it's the worst offender of all of the things I hate the series for, it also has the most unique fighting scenes and I loved the way he handled the throwback to 8-bit sprites.

• Thumbs Up 4

Alvin has stated that the fans were pushing his buttons and

The "Long streches" are the fact that Alvin IRL issues got in the way and for awhile he just lost his motivation towards finishing it even going back to his old habit of drawing furry art for awhile.

But lately he has migrated his DevART account for his furry art and is using his old one for SMBZ projects. He seems to be getting back on track. But lately his latest YTP has a sad message behind it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8AkWyza7Ag

Online, I'm known as the creator of Super Mario bros Z. But many people have been wondering what job I do in real life. Well, here ya go. Just loop this video for 10 hours and you'll experience one of my typical work days. Now you know why my motivation has been so shot for the last few years.

It's a thankless job, but....... nope, there are no buts. It sucks balls...

I know how hes feelin being stuck in my worthless job like that.

Edited by goku262002
  • Thumbs Up 1

On the other hand the creativity and written tone of the series creates the same misstep I felt that Sonic and The Black Knight fell into by being relatively well presented and narrated but by being absolutely cliché'd up the ass, and on top of that it borderlines pretentiousness and is in dire need of cutting down so much of it's dialogue.

Oh sweet god yes, the dialogue really needs to be cut down in this series. Like you said, Episode 7 is the worst offender in terms of this, as it just pads out the scenes longer than needed, which funnily enough makes it even more like DBZ. This is probably why episode 8 is more action orientated, and severely shorter by comparison.

Yeah, after waiting for more than 2 years for Ep. 9, I kinda gave up expecting him to actually finish it any time sooner.

But the series is pretty awesome. Unlike some of the other sprites with DBZ influences where the characters wind up gaining the ability to fly and all sorts of powers they wouldn't have in their own series, this one keeps things fairly grounded in what is established in their series and uses the powers accordingly (with some exaggerations here and there).

You really don't find many fan crossovers like this.

Love this series! Never loved DBZ all that much, but the fighting in this seems more fast paced then in DBZ, so I love the fighting! Have to echo what everyone else has said, so I'll just quote something lazy person style.

Yeah, after waiting for more than 2 years for Ep. 9, I kinda gave up expecting him to actually finish it any time sooner.

But the series is pretty awesome. Unlike some of the other sprites with DBZ influences where the characters wind up gaining the ability to fly and all sorts of powers they wouldn't have in their own series, this one keeps things fairly grounded in what is established in their series and uses the powers accordingly (with some exaggerations here and there).

You really don't find many fan crossovers like this.

My favourite episode would have to be 5-6, for the best fighting scene music I heard in my life, and the badass super Sonic/Mario transformation.

Edited by Chaos Warp

Yeah, and as with all Sonic/DBZ crossovers, Shadow is a blatant Vegeta rip off, but at least he went out of his way to explain why he was such a dick.....ok, more of a dick than usual.

[stuff]

Pretty much this. I really don't care much for most of the story and dialogue (the Mecha Sonic killed everyone thing is amazingly out of place, both for Mario and Sonic, but even with the tone of most of SMBZ), but the action scenes are really great.

Edited by Ekaje

I really liked it when I first saw it though I kid of forgot about it for a while, had not even realized it has been two years.

Pretty much this. I really don't care much for most of the story and dialogue (the Mecha Sonic killed everyone thing is amazingly out of place, both for Mario and Sonic, but even with the tone of most of SMBZ), but the action scenes are really great.

I think he only did that so the series isn't cluttered with loads of characters, but it feels like a major cop out. I mean we'll never see what a fight scene with Knuckles or Tails is like.

Ah yes, SMBZ. The flash series that started my hobby of making fan made Sonic forms.

http://sweecrue.devi...156133?offset=0 *cough*

Fun fact: I actually tried to contact Alvin, to have my design of Fire Sonic in there,

but he said he was too far into episode 8.

And besides, I did'nt have a sprite sheet or anything for my design.

Edited by Sweecrue

Oh. SMBZ. That series I used to constantly think about, everyday, until last year. Twas fun, and episode 9 will likely make me a fanboy again.

I used to talk with docile-chinchou, someone close to Alvin. I helped him in his French learning, and he'd give me a couple li'l info in exchange (stuff you guys don't know about... yet). Buuuut I swore to not say anything, and honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Alvin changed stuff - he does write the series as the animation goes after all.

I absolutely love the series. How close to its respective universes it is (even being in 2D mode most of the time). I love how every single move in an action scene is a reference to something Mario or Sonic related (or manga related, but that's rare in comparison). I love how in-character and in-universe everything is (to the point it wouldn't be too insane to say it could be... gasp, canon ?). The musical and sprite choices are wonderful too, just as the animation and 3D effects.

Honestly, can't wait for episode 6. I mean 7. I mean 8. I mean... GAH WILL THIS NEVER BE OVER (trololo)

I actually forgot about this series.

I was heavy into back then but once it went on haitus I forgot about it. Good to see that it didnt die out.

Woah geez... Super Mario Bros. Z, huh?

That's not just some series. That name holds a lot of things that meant a lot to me.

*gasp!* Backstory!

00SiSq-114881584.jpg

Gather 'round, everybody. I got a story.

In my earlier days on the internet, there was SMBZ. Even now, I admire the series as it was and look forward to what it will have to offer in the future should it continue.

Of course, back then, it began a trend. Numerous clones of the series popped up, almost all of them mediocre. SMBZ was all the rage wherever I went.

Then I discovered its homepage. It was once aptly named the SMBZ Forum, ran by the aforementioned docile_chinchou, Faltzer, and a few other moderators whose names escape me. It went through numerous changes and domain alterations, usually due to bandwidth being exceeded.

In general, where I was simply Jeffhog, that forum was known as VGLan.

VGLan_Logo.jpg

It was my first internet forum, and I've remained there for years. It was an okay place save a few people (especially a couple of mods whose names, again, still escape me), but I've made numerous friends on there and became a familiar member of the community. Although I've mostly spent my time in the RP board, I ventured out onto the main site often.

Sadly though, because Faltzer couldn't afford to keep the site running and that activity on there seemed to be running low (curiously though, I've never found it to be), the site has been shut down a little over a year and a half ago. It came as a shock to everyone, especially towards the more dedicated members including myself towards the end.

I still miss the place. There's a new SMBZ forum now, but the site is now a shell of its former glorious self, and I doubt it'll even regain that glory. *sigh* It's sad. It's like seeing your favourite restaurant being renovated but it ends up being worse than it was.

*backstory rant over*

In any case, as for the actual series itself, I still find myself watching a random episode every once in a rare while. The fights are amazingly done, the jokes and dialogue are pretty funny (last thing I expected was a Bowser's Kingdom cameo, another flash series VGLan was the host of), and it's always a blast to watch. I don't find myself as hyped as I was when I was little, but I'll gladly watch new instalments.

The only cancerous thing SMBZ has spawned was the numerous and mediocre rip-offs and look-a-likes trying to reap from its success. You think [insert something here] is internet cancer? Well, there's all of the SMBZ clones.

• Thumbs Up 5

LOL this is the series that got me interested into Flash animation (namely for creating sprite battle animations). Of course my favorite aspect of the series are his action sequences. The huge battle between Epi 6 and Epi 7 between Team Mario, The Axem Rangers and The Koopa Bros. I think was probably the best out of all of them yet.

BTW I heard that Episode 9 was going to be released on April Fools day this year.

I think he only did that so the series isn't cluttered with loads of characters, but it feels like a major cop out. I mean we'll never see what a fight scene with Knuckles or Tails is like.

Hey. I was on the SMBZ Forums too (then later on VGLan). Didn't go there often, just for SMBZ news, because my English was poor and I was even more associal than right now. I went on there once in a while as "Paper Luigi". :U

Zinos, there is NO WAY to know when will the episode be released, as Alvin has no deadline. But episode 8 was released at the same time as Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (October 9), so it doesn't sound crazy to me that he'd kinda try to release it at the same time as a Mario game. Mario Party 9 releases in March, Paper Mario 3DS releases in Summer.

Also, we learn that Knuckles DID put up a fight with Mecha, but he still ended up losing. I wish we'd see more of Mobius' destructon.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey. I was on the SMBZ Forums too (then later on VGLan). Didn't go there often, just for SMBZ news, because my English was poor and I was even more associal than right now. I went on there once in a while as "Paper Luigi". :U

Woah, you were Paper Luigi? Well whaddya know, the world keeps getting smaller and smaller!

• Thumbs Up 1

I love this series. Superb flash work! I was beginning to think Alvin would never comeback to the series. I use to watch this all the time at school when nothing was going on.

Also, we learn that Knuckles DID put up a fight with Mecha, but he still ended up losing. I wish we'd see more of Mobius' destructon.

Classic case of jobbing, makes sense its a DBZ parody so anybody no plot relevant would be a jobber.

Love this series, very creative use of sprites and flash for the action scenes. Highlights include the entirety of Episode 6, the retro fight from Episode 7 and the Fire Sonic segment from Episode 8. However, writing for the most part is pretty bad. I mean it's ridden with cliches and internet jokes/memes/references that had stopped being funny years before the episodes were even made. Glad to hear there's a ninth episode being made though!

• 1 month later...

The dream is dead guys:

I have drafted this journal several times before but never had the courage to actually post it, but now I think it's high time I did this.

This is a very difficult thing for me. I have had this on my mind for quite some time now and I have no doubt that it will be a very unpopular decision, but I think it's time I finally lay Super Mario Bros Z to rest. I have been fooling myself into thinking I would continue the series because part of me really wanted to see it finished. But the fact is, it is a time consuming process and I have grown tired of working on it. Sprite animation no longer has the same appeal to me as it did several years ago. What was once a fun hobby of mine has now turned into a chore from the constant demand, which clearly shows from the lack of updates since episode 8 was released. I could blame my lack of motivation on my monotonous job and the impatient fans. (Not saying all my fans are impatient, of course. I'm only referring to the vocal minority). I have been keeping the series on life-support this long, hoping that some day my creative spark would return to me. Unfortunately it never did.

In any case, I would like to thank everyone who stuck by the series this long. It really pains me to do this to all of you after years of false promises, but it's high time I gave myself a reality check.

With that said, this old account has no real purpose anymore since my furry artwork has migrated to my new account *Link to his account* I may leave this one inactive or just outright deactivate it. I haven't made my decision yet. I would greatly appreciate that you only watch my new account if you like the subject matter. I will not tolerate anything related to SMBZ being posted on it, or else you will be removed.

Thanks again for all the support (or hatred) you have given me throughout the years.

Peace.

So yeah, thats it. its over. Its stuff like this that makes me wish it was never started to begin with y'know, its just disheartening to hear after soo much waiting.

Edited by goku262002