Awoo.

Chardon HS Shooting - 3 KILLED, + Brother arrested

Autosaver

According to the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, the Monday morning shooting is the worst at a U.S. high school in 11 months and the worst in Ohio since late 2007, Reuters reports. Click to jump to an eyewitness report. One of the four victims is in critical condition and undergoing surgery. A 17-year-old boy is in serious condition, an 18-year-old girl is stable and the condition of the fourth injured student is not known, Reuters reports.

Family of slain student Daniel Parmentor issued the following statement to NBC News: "We are shocked by this senseless tragedy. Danny was a bright young boy who had a bright future ahead of him. The family is torn by this loss. We ask that you respect our privacy during this difficult time. "

UPDATE 2/27/2012 12:08 p.m.: One student injured in the Ohio school shooting Monday morning has died, WKYC reports.

UPDATE 2/27/2012 11:20 a.m.: The FBI is reporting that five students were injured in an Ohio school shooting Monday, according to the Associated Press. All have been taken to area hospitals.

The school was placed on lockdown after the incident reportedly occurred at 7:30 a.m., just before classes started. Students were soon evacuated from the school and transported to a nearby elementary school to be released to parents, WOIO reports. Other schools in the area are also on lockdown.

http://www.reuters.c...E81Q1AD20120227

The sad part is, this was miles away from my school. (For explanation about the Canada flag - I'm Canadian but I live in the USA) We even watched some footage during class.

This is terrible, sick, and I hope the person who did this gets the worst punishment possible. Who could do such a thing? The shooter can rot in hell for all I care. Imagine walking into school thinking you're "Well, another Monday" and then a shooter randomly opens fire.

Edited by Autosaver

What a horrible crime, I feel all kinds of bad for the kids and teachers who bore witness to that atrocity. It's going to take years of therapy for some of those kids to get past all this.

How exactly did this student come to acquire the gun he used to carry out the attack? Please tell me he wasn't allowed to buy it...

Edited by Patticus
  • Thumbs Up 5

I may be wrong, but I think it was in one school. The lower level schools (Middle, etc) were right next to the high school though.

What surprises me is that the kid actually gave himself up instead of killing himself like most of these nutcases that randomly open fired in a public place do. Nonetheless tragic.

Edited by Prince Solaris

I wish schools took better preventions for these kinds of things rather than just useless signs that say "Do not bring guns".

• Thumbs Up 4

I know how you feel, Autosaver. When the Columbine shooting happened I was sitting in my third grade class about, oh, 8 miles away. I don't remember how *I* felt, but I can remember how everyone else reacted. You could just feel the panic in the air, especially once they put the school in lockdown. Just being near a tragedy like that is horrifying enough, I can't imagine being in the center of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wish schools took better preventions for these kinds of things rather than just useless signs that say "Do not bring guns".

Indeed, kinda reminds me of my high school. We had to put our bags through metal detectors to go in. Half the time they were broken and even when they weren't people still got stuff through. I never saw any guns, but I've seen knives, lighters, and stuff. I feel sorry for the ones that had to go through this, but allow me to be blunt for just a second. It really irks me how all the time schools and school boards and stuff are always saying how they want to control weapons being brought in but never really do anything. Take my school for example, which I posted before. If I wanted to get any kind of weapon in, I'd only need to hide it in between some books and I'd be golden. If anything, these places should stop talking about doing something and actually do it. Words alone don't mean shit. Sorry if I got off topic. It really really sucks that the students there had to go through something like this. My condolences to the families of the victims. At least the kid had the balls to turn himself in afterwards and face punishment like a man.

Oh God not again!!

Well, atleast they caught the guy who did it this time, and there weren't many casualties. Still terrible though.

I wish states took better preventions for these kinds of things rather than just useless laws saying "Do not use your legally purchased gun to commit crimes or irresponsibly let it fall into the hands of a minor".

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm not going to be a broken record and say "oh so sad!" like everyone ever on all of these topics ever, but from the description from the shooter's friend I kind of feel bad for the kid. Certainly feel bad for his sister, poor thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why did he feel the need to use a gun and why did he feel need to hurt people and how did he get hold of the weapon in the first place!sad.png

I wish states took better preventions for these kinds of things rather than just useless laws saying "Do not use your legally purchased gun to commit crimes or irresponsibly let it fall into the hands of a minor".

It kinda becomes a double edged sword.

For one, this is a serious matter that I have no idea how much is being done to address it, and very lax areas end up getting taken by surprise. On the other hand, the more you try to address it, the more the school can end up similar to a prison. At the very extreme of these things are zero tolerance policies, something which I believe as a cure worse than the poison as it takes a very minor thing and blows it to disproportionate levels.

I kinda want to blame the parents, but I have no idea who to direct the blame towards at the moment. I kinda doubt gun control would've stopped something like this unless it used something like a metal detector or more at the schools.

• Thumbs Up 2

What surprises me is that the kid actually gave himself up instead of killing himself like most of these nutcases that randomly open fired in a public place do. Nonetheless tragic.

I was pretty surprised by that too. Whenever I hear this kind of story, the shooter would usually take his own life instead of allowing himself to get caught. In fact, I think this might be the first I've heard of it.

My heart goes out to the sister. I hope that kid will get what's coming to him. Practically signed off his future right there!

I hope the bastard who shot those kids gets executed in the most brutal way imaginable. Sorry for that outburst but seriously, murder IMO is the most flat out unforgivable crime next to rape.

I hope the bastard who shot those kids gets executed in the most brutal way imaginable. Sorry for that outburst but seriously, murder IMO is the most flat out unforgivable crime next to rape.

I want to punch myself in the face when people say these things. Murder doesn't justify murder.

• Thumbs Up 1

I want to punch myself in the face when people say these things. Murder doesn't justify murder.

And to add to that, death is an instant pain free death. Prison could be many MANY years of terrible conditions in a closed space.

The real curiosity here is what exactly drove him to commit the crime to begin with.

Was he abused physically or psychologically?

Did he suffer severe paranoia?

Did he hold a grudge?

Or was he one of those nutjobs who thinks he could get away with a crime since he has gotten away with something before, though not on this magnitude?

Or worst case scenario, because he felt like it?

And to add to that, death is an instant pain free death. Prison could be many MANY years of terrible conditions in a closed space.

Ah, forgot about that and you are definitely right. But still, I am really pissed off about this. And a lot of those kids had promising futures and now they'll never be able to live to see their futures because of this guy.

Why do people even do this?

Seriously, people are making stupid as all get out choices, if that wasn't obvious from the title. angry.png

I disagree, but this is a topic about a school shooting; not the death sentence.

It saddens me that stuff like this is still happening; but I honestly can't think of a feasible way to prevent it. Frankly, I like the fact that it's legal for citizens to own a gun if they have a license, and I'm probably going to get one myself in a few years. Criminals will be able to find weapons; and I want a way to defend myself if I feel my life is in danger. Better the thief dies then someone in my family.

It's just... I'm completely at a loss as to how this can be prevented without creating a huge hindrance (like forcing kids to go through airport security every time they want to enter the school).

• Thumbs Up 1

It's just... I'm completely at a loss as to how this can be prevented without creating a huge hindrance (like forcing kids to go through airport security every time they want to enter the school).

Don't some American schools already do this? mellow.png

Don't some American schools already do this? mellow.png

There are likely some. But I don't know of any myself.

At least they would be taking more appropriate steps than those that implement Zero Tolerance policies, but that's not saying much when people can likely sneak weapons in other ways.