Awoo.

The Officially Unofficial Shaping Canon: Where does everything go?

Nintendoga

After a little research, (and by that I mean taking Sonic News Network's Timeline, and comparing it to multiple other timelines throughout the WWW (World Wide Web), it seems like this one may or may not be as close, if not, correct on the non-existent timeline that Sega has given us throughout Sonic games.

P.S. titles with asterisks next to them are confirmed to be canon and fit there, according to the site.

P.S.S. Don't take this fan list too seriously, it's only extremely speculative and meant for fun/clearing up confusion is all they say

http://sonic.wikia.c...Hedgehog_series

Edit (Aug/16/12) Yeah no fuck that. Deleting this shit.

Edited by Nintendoga
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think the Wiki is looking way too far into it. Especially when it comes to spin-offs, the games which aren't even meant to be taken seriously (e.g. Sonic Drift, Labyrinth, R...) A good portion of the games listed are in weird places in the timeline.

Making a 'true', definitive timeline is kind of hard, but if we're talking about the games which are canon/important to the series, the basic timeline would go...

Sonic 1 > Sonic CD > Sonic 2 > Sonic 3&K > Sonic 4 > Sonic Adventure > Sonic Adventure 2 > Sonic Heroes > Shadow > Battle > '06 > Rush and Rivals in some form > Secret Rings > Unleashed > Black Knight > Colours > Generations

Time of release/development should dictate where games fit into the timeline. If it fits in, leave it as it is.

Edited by Neon
  • Thumbs Up 6

There is a certain section of the canon that I still find to be confusing. The SA2, Heroes, Shadow, and Battle canon. I dunno which one comes first and stuff, some characters and settings are similar in Shadow and Battle (Central City), but Shadow comes three months later, after Heroes, so I find putting Battle into the canon somewhat difficult. Then there's the matter of Shadow the characterl. In SA2, he's lost his energy, and seems to have 'died', Heroes and Shadow both show him to have amnesia, but Battle shows Shadow to still need to 'regain his power', which could indicate it following SA2 or Heroes or Shadow. Honestly, to me, this seems to be one of the more awkward canon pieces to put together.

Time of release/development should dictate where games fit into the timeline. If it fits in, leave it as it is.

This. A thousand times this! Why anyone series looks at it any other way is beyond me. If it doesn't make sense, then fine change it. But otherwise just take off the tin-foil hats.

• Thumbs Up 3

games which are canon/important to the series
Sonic Shuffle
what

Anyway I think it's a fool's errand to try and find a place for every single Sonic game, including spinoffs and irrelevant side games with barely any plot to speak of. Stick with the core games, and like Neon said, it's safe to assume the games follow release dates/development periods except where this causes problems.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Spinball.

Stopped reading right there.

Okay, no. That's a lie. I actually stopped reading where it said "we know this isn't true, but let's just ignore that" for Sonic 2 MS, but I did at least skim it until Spinball came up.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 3

what

I actually edited that out before you posted this. laugh.png

Yeah, don't know why I put that in...

Edited by Neon

Yeah, I'm gonna go with Neon here, time of development should dictate where a game takes place. Although, I think the only games that matter are the ones that expand the overall narrative in some way.

Sonic Generations takes place both before and after Sonic Adventure. I just blew your minds.

Wasn't that obvious? I thought that was obvious...

Sonic Generations takes place both before and after Sonic Adventure. I just blew your minds.

Sonic Generations takes place right in the middle of Sonic 1. You get sucked to the white space while in Green Hill Zone in Sonic 1

Sonic Generations takes place right in the middle of Sonic 1. You get sucked to the white space while in Green Hill Zone in Sonic 1

Sonic learns the Homming Attack during or right after Generations. Sonic already met Tails in Gen too.

I think Gen Classic Sonic is right before Sonic 4 Sonic.

Anyway.

Where has it been said Sonic Labyrinth happens before Sonic met Tails ?

Also curious about where was it stated Heroes takes place 5 month after SA2. My European instruction booklet right there states "Amy hasn't seen Sonic in a bit over a month".

Edited by Koopalmier

Also curious about where was it stated Heroes takes place 5 month after SA2. My European instruction booklet right there states "Amy hasn't seen Sonic in a bit over a month".

The product blurb for Sonic Heroes on PSN has that 5 months info, and apparently it's way older than that, too.

As for the Amy bit, isn't it feasible that Amy saw Sonic sometime between SA2 and Heroes? Just because it took place 5 months after, doesn't mean that people haven't met up at all in that time (take notes, Chronicles).

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Portable games are in their own canon(s).

Except for Rush because blaze's profile mentions being the guardian of the Sol Emeralds

Wasn't that obvious? I thought that was obvious...

Yes it was.

I think the Wiki is looking way too far into it. Especially when it comes to spin-offs, the games which aren't even meant to be taken seriously (e.g. Sonic Drift, Labyrinth, R...) A good portion of the games listed are in weird places in the timeline.

Making a 'true', definitive timeline is kind of hard, but if we're talking about the games which are canon/important to the series, the basic timeline would go...

Sonic 1 > Sonic CD > Sonic 2 > Sonic 3&K > Sonic 4 > Sonic Adventure > Sonic Adventure 2 > Sonic Heroes > Shadow > Battle > '06 > Rush and Rivals in some form > Secret Rings > Unleashed > Black Knight > Colours > Generations

THANK YOU! But Riders is canon as AAUK says, just not main.