Awoo.

Digimon - Digital Monsters

Soniman

FUCK YES, DIGIMON TOPIC. :D Digimon is collectively my single favourite anime ever and always will be, and Masaru is my god. Butter-Fly is my favourite song ever followed closely by Brave Heart.

There are actually seven seasons though. (Although Hunters was a bit shit) mellow.png

I'll have a million and one things to say in this topic, but I'm sleepy now. D: So, I'll just leave these here;

MeDigisoul.png

HNI_0079.jpg

d374f714.jpg

83fedcea.jpg

dd7416ca.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

I really liked season 1 and season 2, the other ones didn't grab my attention as much and I lost interest in the series.

What I remember the most is the music in the dub, some people didn't like it but I thought it was awesome. Though the Japanese soundtrack is pretty cool too (though since I had the luxury of living close to the border meant that I could see the spanish dub that had the japanese soundtrack intact)

How I miss the series sad.png

I love Digimon! I used to be obsessed with it. Back in my day, there were only 4 seasons!

Anyway, my favorite season is 3 - Digimon Tamers.

Oh yeah, ill probably cover the movies when I get done covering the seasons. And hell, maybe the music to.

I love Digimon!^_^

My favorite series was Digimon Tamers. The characters in that series got some of the best character development that I've seen in an anime. I love Impmon's whole storyline. That part at the end where Jeri forgives Impmon is one of my favorite moments.

I rewatch the series a few years ago and I was amazed at how much stuff they kept in the dub. I dread to think what might have happen if 4kids had gotten their hands on Digimon.

The first series Digimon Adventure is pretty good as well.

Digimon Adventure 02 starts out well but has a lame ending that feels like it was made up on the spot.

Ah yes, I remember watching half of the first series. I say half, because I was still in my religion then which had some very strict rules when it came to watching TV and when my folks discovered that one villain resembled a demon and another a vampire, then I was banned from watching it. It still bugs me to think back on that, especially since we now find the "rules" as to what we should and shouldn't watch to be a load of superstitious bullcrap.

Years later, I was able to complete the first series on Toon Disney's Jetix and I thought it was a great show, and I was satisfied with finally finishing the series. I started the second series, which I thought was pretty decent here and there. Though I really hated Arukenimon(sp?) and Mummymon due to their similarities to Team Rocket (I really didn't like Team Rocket at the time I was watching it.) but it was a good watch.

After that was series 3, aka Digimon Tamers. Despite my RL friends hating on the third series, I'd go as far as to say it's my favorite. I just loved the story and characters and their development in this one, that's really all I can say. Oh, and also, Impmon and Renamon FTW.

I'm a a bit iffy over the fourth series, honestly. I along with many others didn't like the main characters transforming into Digimon. Can't say it was horrible, just a different direction that I'm used to. I'd say it's my least favorite out of all of them.

The fifth series, Digimon Data Squad/Savers is another one my RL friends hate. I didn't think it was that bad, it was an interesting alternate take on the Digimon series, the Men in Black/secret organization type story was pretty neat.

Never really caught the sixth series actually. I may check it out in the future if It's any good.

Edited by Lyra Heartstrings

Ah, Digimon. One of my biggest guilty pleasures. I can't even tell you how many times my friend and I went to see the movie in theaters. We still quote lines from it to this day. Also a big fan of the original Japanese version, Digimon Adventure. I've seen everything up to about a few episodes into SAVERS (dubbed), but nothing after that... yet.

I have a bit of merchandise, including a season 3 digivice and a bunch of the soundtracks. Also, thrilled to know that the entire Season One is getting a DVD release in the near future. Hope they end up releasing each season in full.

Was always a bit of a Mimi fan. She just cracked me up. I tell ya, it's the cowboy hats.

Also, BEST THEME EVER:

Edited by Snatcher2047

LOVE me some Digimon. I've been hooked ever since I first discovered it after watching a random episode of Adventure on Fox Family all those years ago and I've never stopped being a Digi-maniac.

In terms of seasons, my favorite is obviously Tamers. It did SO much right, was incredibly well written, and had a lot of my absolute favorite Digimon characters in it. (I freakin' LOVE Impmon. Also, Melissa Fahn's voice in anything is <3.)

My second favorite would probably be Data Squad. The writing was pretty good, the characters were memorable, it was a nice return to traditional partner-based Digimon, and to this day, it's one of the only shows that I've seen where I absolutely HATE the villain's guts. You know a show is succeeding in its narrative when you actually hate the antagonist.

I'd rank Adventure at #3, since it started the show off well, had a great cast, and proved that just because you're a blatant toy commercial, that doesn't mean that you should have a bad story, too.

Fourth on my list is Frontier, which I enjoyed, though, it definitely had its weaknesses. For starters, losing the whole Digimon/Partner relationship made the show lose a bit of the appeal that it had. I wasn't a fan of that. Secondly, the final half is REALLY tedious. Most of the episodes are literally just "The Royal Knights attack, the kids arrive to try and stop them, Takuya and Koji evolve and fight them, and they lose." As a result, most of the kids get completely neglected in the final half and at times, you even wonder why they're there except to tote the rest of the spirits around. This season definitely needed some more balance.

Finally, we have Adventure 02. First, don't get me wrong. I LOVE this season on a nostalgic level and I still enjoy watching it. However, it definitely has the most consistent story flaws of any other season that I've seen. The plot keeps jumping around from arc to arc, certain characters are underdeveloped or underused, and the ending is one of the most cobbled together epilogues I've ever seen. It's like they threw a dart at a board with a bunch of careers on it and assigned them to each character depending on which one that their dart landed on. So, yeah, it was a bit of a mess. However, I will say that I enjoyed Ken's storyline, most of the Digimon, and the epic battle music. MY GOD, THE BATTLE MUSIC. Just listen and embrace the epicness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExP2ei65wzU

I can honestly tell you that there's no better song that I can imagine beating someone up to. Run Around is one of a kind and always has a spot on my track list.

I've never seen Xros Wars or Hunters (I'm waiting for the eventual dub.), so I can't rank them.

Also, on one final note, SOOOOOOOOOOOO looking forward to to DVD release of Adventure. Hopefully, it does well enough to warrant the release of more seasons. Once I have Tamers on DVD, I can die a happy man. biggrin.png

Edited by chaoscontrol14
  • Thumbs Up 4

I love digimon so muuuch. I was far more interested in it than Pokemon when I was little. I think it had to do with all the different forms and how the digimon could return to previous forms. And there were just so many of theeem. I especially liked Digimon World 3. There was a lot of grinding for sure, but I liked having my little team of Kotemon, Renamon, and Guilmon. :3

It reminds me when I used to go to latchkey in elementary school. They'd let us into the computer lab sometimes to play on the internet, and I would play the little games they had on the Fox Kids website.

Used to be a big fan of Digimon. I remember owning a big plushie of Patamon, my favourite. <3 I also loved Gatomon, she was so cute (for a Champion Digimon!)!

I only ever watched the first two seasons when I lived in the Netherlands. For some reason season three was never dubbed. I do want to watch it eventually though since it seems to have the most acclaim from Digimon fans.

Hmm, I always wondered just how many different Digimon there are..

"Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon are the champions"

Ah I loved watching the first two seasons when I was a wee lad. It was a huge part of my childhood just as much as Sonic was. I thought the third season was okay, but the fourth one was just a huge steaming pile of garbage and I gave up on the franchise at that point. I'll always hold fond memories of the adventure series though.

>Inb4 someone says something about how Pokémon was waaaay better.

Tamers was a great season though compared to all the others. XD Wish that Pokémon's anime was much more like that.

I'm a pretty good fan of Digimon I've watched every episode of Adventure 1 and 2, skipped Tamers and stopped after finishing Frontier.

Ok, let me start from the beginning. I began my love for Digimon during the days when it was a hot contender against Pokemon. The first episode instantly had me hooked because it was just awesome. Though it was pretty much a rip off of Pokemon I didn't care. Unlike Pokemon, the show had a concrete storyline and characters whom I could see grow along with me, unlike Pokemon which felt like an eternity of nothingness occuring.

Now I grew up with the dub, and I didn't rightly care about the puns because most of them just flew over my head. Upon rewatching the dub the lines make me cringe plenty of times but I also have a good laugh because of how terrible they are. Also, the dub music is wonderful, JesseOtaku made it cool to hate on the dub music, but the people parroting her have got it mixed up; she didn't think the music was bad, just that it was used in inappropriate times, and I admit that she has a point. The orchestrated tracks are lovely, but the guy who had to put them in episodes sure didn't know what he was doing.

Overall, I love the first series with all my might. I love Tai, Matt, Mimi, Joe, Izzy, TK, Kairi, Sora and their digi-pals.

Digimon Adventure 2, now I really liked this show too... in the beginning. I think JesseOtaku summed it better in her retrospective. It isn't that Adventure 2 was bad; it's that late in the show's time it really began to get confusing. When I was a kid I didn't understand anything that was going on, and I was sure that I hadn't missed a single episode. As for the epilogue. I haven't watched it too much recently so I can't tell if I hate it or just don't care.

I missed the first few arcs of Tamers, so I was pretty much lost when I started the show. XD

When I first started watching Frontier I didn't like the premise just like everyone else. I really didn't like the idea of replacing Digimon with humans, but eventually the show grew on me. I just watched it as spinoff instead of a main show and it worked well enough.

Yeah, I don't have much else to say about that season.

By the way all you digi fans. For those of you who missed my announcement in the Anime and Manga thread. Digimon Adventure is finally coming out on DVD September 9th, all 54 episodes on an 8 disc set.91FRBDV3FoL._AA1500_.jpg

Yeah, there are some downsides to these new discs.

- Sadly, it's going to be dubbed only, and it's going to cost 80 55 bucks.

Personally, I'm going to buy it for the sake of having it. I never watch the Japanese versions anyways so it's not like it's going to impact my purchase.

Edited by VisionaryBlur
  • Thumbs Up 1

I was a big fan of Digimon back in the early 2000. I watched the whole first season non-stoping, everyday at Fox Kids. I also used to beg my parents to buy me all the Digimon related toys (even those cheap China falsifications). I still have an original Wargreymon figure, maybe I post some pictures of it later. I also had lots of Tazos, sticker albums, a backpack, cups. Even Digimon cookies.

I watched half second season and stoped because I didn't really enjoyed it. After that I've really lost my interest in Digimon, but it's still a well-loved anime by me (one of my favorites actualy, over Pokémon) and since it made part of my childhood.

One nice thing is that all the original japanese soundtrack was used in my country's version. Well, except the opening, which is a translation of the english version -'- And hey, someone here saw the Movie on the theater? smile.png

But yeah guys, tears =,)

Edited by Jango

Oh my god, this one of the show that completely dominated my childhood.

But yes, I fucking love Digimon, some seasons are better than others(severely), but I always managed to stay interested in each of them. Savers and Tamers are my favorites, with Adventure coming second. The one thing I loved about Digimon, other than the action of course, are the characters; yeah most of the time they remain flat archetypes(in the case of Adventure 02), but other times they're really fleshed out, I mean the fact that a mon series could have such good characters always escaped me, but I dealt with it.

Savers as a whole wasn't amazingly good(better than Frontier, and arguably 02 tho), it's definitely a lot more Shonen than the previous seasons what with the protagonist being more of a Hot Blooded Determintor than any leader before him, and the artstyle of it. But this stands out as one of my favorite scenes in the franchise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxDnzmiwAv8

So much Badass.

Best. Film. Ever.

Seriously, what an amazing film.

I loved this show, was rather excellent. Much better than Pokemon ever was (bar the Poke games). I have some of season one on dvd, but they never really released them properly over here in the UK on dvd.

I absolutely love the first series, and really like the second series. I remember being extremely disappointed with Tamers back in the day just because it seemed to switch everything up so much (then found what few episodes of Data Squad I managed to watch "not bad", but not on par with the first two series). What kind of drives me nuts though is that I have all of the first season recorded on video EXCEPT the last two episodes and I don't think I ever watched them. I forgot to set the tape to record for one (where I was out later), and I missed the other because I got locked out of my house! I have them downloaded, but I need to make the time to watch sometime!

I also bought one of the original Digimon virtual pets in France for about £1, but can I find it anywhere? Of course not.

My favorites were always Adventure 2, 1 and Tamers. Data squad was good but on par with the first 3 seasons. Frontier was a huge WTF to me. The story was blah, the characters were blah and that whole human+digimon soul thing was a crappy gimmick. And besides who could not love this lovable blue monster?

Veemon.png

• Thumbs Up 1

I knew that the TP would hate on Season Four (Frontier). I personally loved it and favored it greatly over Tamers. Of course, the first season and Zero Two being my top two favorites.

And man.... the first three seasons... best American opening ever

I think Digimon as a concept is the perfect kids' show. Why, exactly? Because (for the most part anyway), it nails the suspension of disbelief perfectly. Watching the show as a kid, it feels so believable and you can imagine it happening to you.

In most of the series (bar Frontier and arguably Savers), the kids are, and throughout the course of the series stay, ordinary, normal kids. They don't get super powers, they don't turn into superheroes (err, well... except Frontier); they're just regular kids with real-life problems, who meet these cool monsters and try and do all this stuff whilst keeping it a secret from their parents and the world at large. It just makes it seem so relatable and, well, possible. Sure, it usually gets a bit bast the suspension of disbelief line at points, but still.

I don't know what it is, but no series has ever resonated with me quite as strongly as Digimon has. Sure, it's flawed in quite a few places and some of the series and concepts are outright bad, but even then, I can almost always find some kind of enjoyment in them and like them for what they are. I'm not blind to Digimon's flaws by any means. I don't even overlook them. I just acknowledge them, accept them, and still manage to love the series as a collective whole anyway. Frontier was definitely one of the weaker links, Xros Wars was average at best and hugely flawed in terms of writing, and the less said about Xros Wars Hunters the better.

I think Xros Wars Hunters was the worst series by far, not only in that it was a bad series (seriously, they had about 4-5 rushed episodes of actual plot in a 25-episode series, everything else was filler) but because it went in promising so much and ended by basically shitting in the faces of the fans. Despite this, let me tell you something; during the final episode, even when I wasn't sure how the story was going to go yet, (probably because I didn't know, actually), I was so excited I was actually shaking. I don't hate Hunters, even if I can openly admit it's a bad series and I probably should. If nothing else, it gave Masaru some more screentime. laugh.png

Personally, I'd rank the series in order;

Savers > Tamers > Adventure > 02 > Xros Wars > Frontier > Xros Wars Hunters

, although I'd probably rank Xros Wars and Frontier about equally.

Oh, in case people aren't aware, Crunchyroll are actually streaming Xros Wars legally here , and they also have 02 and Tamers, but the latter two are region-locked to US-only.

I saw Adventure through Tamers dub-only, and saw everything from Frontier onwards in Japanese. Admittedly I've seen bits and pieces of the first three series in Japanese (I own a few of the Japanese Tamers DVDs, have seen the first 2/3 of 02 on Crunchyroll via a region bypass and a few fansubs of the early episodes of Adventure). I do play to one day watch all of 02 and Tamers on Crunchyroll in Japanese, which would make Adventure the only series I've seen dub-only.

I have to confess, as someone who loves Digimon as much as I do,I actually haven't seen all of the movies. mellow.pngThe only ones I've seen in Japanese are Our War Game and the Savers movie, other than that I've only seen the dub movie which must not be spoken of. D:

I'll probably have more to say later, but I think I'll cut it here for now. Let me just leave this here- easily the best thing to come out of Xros Wars Hunters (except possibly Masaru screentime);

Edited by -Mark-

Oh man Digimon was AWESOME! Me and my little cousin spent countless hours watching it, seasons 3 & 4 kicked soo much ass

28wbp4.jpg

Here you have some of my Digimon cards.

I used to have a German magazine and the movie too.

Damn, I remember watching this show. I watched up to the 3rd season to the part about the ones that looked like the chinese horoscopes. That's as far as I can remember. I kinda stopped after that and saw it here and there. I swear in one of those later seasons they're using ipods as devices.

3rd season has to be my fav.

I even remember watching the "movie" in the theaters and the film strip actually broke when Tai was hitting the computer.

Looking back at that (and seeing the review of it on TGWTG) it made no sense at all. :V

Ah, Digimon. I watched the first four seasons as a kid, but once I got back into the franchise more recently, I realized that the original Japanese versions of the anime had so much more to offer. That's not to say the dubs were terrible, if anything, they were mostly fine, but I vastly prefer the originals, especially due to the music.

If my current handle and avatar didn't give it away, Digimon Savers is my favourite series out of the lot (classifying them as 'seasons' is completely wrong, they're actually separate anime series). It was, in spirit, a hot-blooded super robot show, heck, pretty close to Gurren Lagann, even (including a type of power similar to spiral energy). It had great characters, brought in just as many classic conventions as it discards, epic battles, and an antagonist who made Myotismon from Adventure look like a saint, a reminder that humans can be just as monstrous as an evil Digimon, and made Yggdrasil's debut in the anime proper. It explored the potential of the bonds between humans and Digimon, both positively and negatively. It started out a little slow, but once Falcomon was introduced, things REALLY got going.

Masaru and Agumon themselves would not look out of place in Gurren Lagann. Masaru is a hot-blooded street fighter who can be somewhat abrasive sometimes due to his personality (especially with Touma, good grief, especially early on and when they get to the Holy Capital and afterwards, though they do make peace), but he legitimately cares for others, especially his family and friends, and his reactions to Professor Kurata's actions are nothing but pure outrage. A good deal of his personal quest is trying to find his missing father, which culminates in the Royal Knights arc...

Seeing Masaru finally seeing the face of his father would normally be heartwarming... Except, it's Yggdrasil in his father's body, and he doesn't realise that, meaning that Yggdrasil's dismissive attitude of him and his declaration to destroy the human world despite Masaru's attempts to try and question him is simply crushing. You can't help but feel sorry for the poor guy.

So he talks about what's happened with his mother and sister... And decides to go back up to the World Tree and get some damn answers, even if it means beating the hell out of his own father.

Which results in him punching out a god. Twice. The second time, Yggdrasil exploded.

Edited by Masaru Daimon
  • Thumbs Up 2