Awoo.

[Incredibly well made fan-game] Sonic Battle Lost Ending Neo

ilcane87

I don't usually like fan-games, but this one really blew me away: this is NOT a Sonic Battle clone by any means, it's a 2D fighting game that plays like a street fighter/smash bros hybrid, user-friendly but deep at the same time.
Its gameplay is amazingly solid and polished, and all characters feel unique and very well implemented.

The creator is japanese, Ututuya, and is currently working on the next update for the game.

The current playing modes are "Story Mode" (1vs1/2vs2/3vs3 matches against CPU), and "VS Mode" (local multiplayer).

sc1.JPG
sc4.JPG
sc2.JPG

Playable Characters (so far):

Sonic
Tails
Knuckles
Shadow
Rouge
Omega
Silver
Amy
Gamma

Story mode also includes 2 unique boss battles against:

Beta

Mephiles

Next version (under development) will include:

Jet
Cream
Chaos 0
Emerl
...and more...

More
videos:

I warmly recommend that you give this game a chance, you can tell there's a lot of work behind this project, and while it's still labeled as "demo", it feels very complete.
The website is in japanese, so I'll provide a direct link too.

http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~sdside/sblentop.html
Download Link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?bh7ud3w37ch79cw
Easy Patch:

http://ilcane87.webs.com/SBLEN-EasyTypePatch.rar

Be aware that there's no english Tutorial about the game mechanics avaible, so I'll try to write down the basics if you're interested:

You use 6 buttons, A (weak attack), B (medium attack), C (strong attack), D (heavy attack), E (energy charge), F (evasion).

The basic combo would be A, B, C, D(sends the opponent flying), D(homing attack at the opponent); but you'll see that there's a lot of variety using the various Special Moves on ground and air.

All Special Moves are done with combinations like:

-> + attack
<- + attack
Down + attack
Down, -> + attack
Down, <- + attack
Down, <-, -> + attack
Down, ->, <- + attack
Down, Down + attack
<-, -> + attack
->, <- + attack
->, <-, -> + attack
<-, ->, <- + attack

Super Moves use 1 level of your Power Gauge, each character has 3 different ones, and they're done with combinations like:

Down, Down + attack
Down, ->, Down, -> + attack
Down, <-, Down, <- + attack
<-, ->, <-, -> + attack
->, <-, ->, <- + attack

Other useful moves:

- High Jump: Down, Up
- Air Recovery: Up, when at the peak of your flight (regain control of your character in the air)
- Ground Recovery: Up, when about to hit the ground (regain control of your character on the ground)
- Wall Recovery: <- or ->, when about to hit right or left wall (regain control of you character besides the wall)
- Uppercut (sort of): Down + D (sends the opponent upwards, good combo launcher)
- Energy Charge: E (some characters also recharge health or specific ability bars)
- Dash (also works in air): <-, <- or ->, -> (can't be hit at the very beginning of it)
- Aerial (also works in air): -> + F (short leap forward, can't be hit during it; need at least 1 level of the Energy Gauge, and uses 10% of it...at 0 energy level, it's a shorter forward Dash)
- Backwards Evasion: <- + F (a long backwards dash, can't be hit during it; need at least 1 level of the Energy Gauge, and uses a little bit of it...at 0 energy level, it's a normal backwards Dash)
- Force Guard: Down + F (barrier that makes you temporarily invincible, but you can't move; need at least 1 level of the Energy Gauge, and uses 10% of it)
- Throw: -> + C (while close to your opponent)
- Air Throw: -> + C (while close to your opponent, in the air)
- Throw Recovery: C, press quickly when the opponent catches you for a Throw (gets out of the opponent's grasp)
- Guard: <- (can be broken if you guard too many consecutive hits; check the guard meter bar under your health bar)
- Just Defense: <-, guard an attack just before it hits you (stuns the opponent for a short time)
- Blocking: ->, while guarding a series of attacks (counters the attacker)
- Special Ability Derivation: when you hit the opponent with the right Special Move, hold the direction where your opponent is and quickly press the attack button you used to perform that move (the right Special Move is the one that displays the "Special ability derivation!" message when it hits the opponent, but not all characters have one of those; if done correctly, after the special you'll hit the opponent with additional attacks, and the message "Additional special ability SUCCESS!!" will be displayed)

N.B. I listed the commands considering your character is facing the right; when he is facing the left, all directions are obviously inverted.

Also, there's a password system to resume Story Mode, here are some passwords that you can use to try some special levels immediately, like 2vs2 or 3vs3 matches (it's the only way for now):

Mid Boss : DDEC

Start of 2 on 2 matches: FADC

Start of 3 on 3 matches: ECAC

Final Boss: BAFB

When you input the password (using the game commands, not keyboard letters), you'll get a "you lose" message and return to the Main Menu. Then, choose Story Mode again, pick your character, and you'll start from the level you wanted.

I think that's all, I hope you'll take my advice and enjoy this little jewel.
Also, make sure to check the website in the future for updates. wink.png

EDIT: The game's development is probably abandoned as of now, and the website seems to have problems opening, so I put alternate download links up.

Edited by ilcane87
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'm curious - does this run on the M.U.G.E.N. engine? I could certainly use a few more Sonic characters on my roster.

Nope, it was made with Enterbrain's 2D Fighter Maker engine, if i'm not mistaken. :P

I honestly do not see how a 2v2 or even 3v3 in a street fighter-esc fighting game could possibly be intuitive at all. I'd honestly be more comfortable if they had done it like Marvel vs Capcom.

Not only would everything be nothing short of a cluster-fuck, see first link, but I can also see a greater chance of infinites and massive chains resulting in very one sided battles, especially once a team mate is KOd.

Other than that, the actual game looks AMAZING! Can't wait to try it, though Sonic using Chaos Control?! HAX!! D=<

Edited by Black Spy

I wasn't aware there's any HARDCORE SAWNIKKU FANZU in Japan.

judging from those screenshots (Dail-Up...) the graphics aint pretty, but it seems pretty solid.. I might give it a go after a while.

.... but where the fuck is Blaze? O_O

I honestly do not see how a 2v2 or even 3v3 in a street fighter-esc fighting game could possibly be intuitive at all. I'd honestly be more comfortable if they had done it like Marvel vs Capcom.

Not only would everything be nothing short of a cluster-fuck, see first link, but I can also see a greater chance of infinites and massive chains resulting in very one sided battles, especially once a team mate is KOd.

The problem is 2D Fighter Maker (the game engine) is very limited in terms of playing modes, and that's why tag-battles aren't included.

We'll see if the creator can find a way around it in the future.

But, if you ask me, these 2v2 and 3v3 are lots of fun nonetheless. ^^

Holy shit on a stick, this game looks amazing! Downloading it right now; hope it is as much fun to play as it looks.

Just felt like sharing some tips on playing through (most of) Sonic's story.

Sonic's strength comes in his air combos and quick manuverability. Your main goal is to stay close to your opponent and wail on them when their guard is down. Launch 'em in the air and proceed to whoop some ass. Use the standard attacks to rake up the damage then use the Heavy Attack or down Strong Attack to spike them into the ground with an axe kick or a bounce attack respectively. From there you can bounce on them again if they fail to recover from the fall. Use Down + Down Medium Attack as an approach, and you can set them up for an air combo if you have them pinned to a wall. Try using it when they're stunned on the ground, sometimes they won't have invincibility frames and you can continue hitting them while they're down.

Tails: Pretty easy, though he tends to use is specials a lot which can break your guard easily, just keep attacking and you should be alright.

Amy: See Tails, except she tends to use an air combo a lot which can stun you and cause trouble.

Gamma: He likes to hide behind a wall of bullets and lasers, so try not to keep to much space between you and him.

Knuckles: This is where the game starts kicking your ass. You need to be all out aggressive against him and try to attack when ever you can. He's strong and can combo you easily, so block as often as you can. He does like to use his dig move a lot, which leaves him open for just a second once he jumps out of the ground. Use that as an opportunity to attack. Attack hard and defend hard is all I can say.

Silver: Stay as close to him as much as possible, cause once he puts distance between you, he can easily throw all his shit at you while staying safe. Unlike in 06, he's fast and teleports all over the place, so keep your guard up and try to keep up with his movements. He's most vunerable when he's preparing to launch objects at you.

Omega: This one is strong. He's like Gamma but also has some strong physical attacks as well. Your best bet is to approach him from above and try not to get in his line of fire. He has the disadvantage of having a large hit box so hitting him won't be too hard. His attacks are also pretty predictable so try and guard when you see him preparing to hit you. Though when he uses his special, get high up as fast as possible cause it is guaranteed to break your guard.

That's as far I've gotten so far.

I wasn't aware there's any HARDCORE SAWNIKKU FANZU in Japan.

Some of the best speed runs from Unleashed come from Japan too. I suppose he's getting more famous over there.

Edited by redmenace

You were right on how good it looked. The combat looked fast and frenetic, totally suiting Sonic. The game also seemed to be free of glitches and the like. I'll keep an eye on it.

Well, I've played it now. If you ask me, it is far too complicated for it's own good.

There are FOUR standard attack buttons: light, medium, heavy, and knock back. Then there are two special buttons: one used for aireal manuevers that I never got the hang of, and another that does... well, you press down and use it and you get a temporary shield. That's six buttons. You'd better hope you have a controller pad.

Then there are the special attacks. Most of them are just so asine. Yes, there are the standard hadokens. But every other attack requires something just odd. You either press down twice before pressing an attack button, or away and forward quickly plus a button. And all three of the attack buttons have one or more special attack assigned to them. That is a hell of a lot of special attacks, and I don't see how all of them are necessary.

Super Specials are even harder to pull off, but only because you have to try every manuever with every button combination to find what activates it. Some even require you to imput the same directions TWICE before you press a button; who's going to think of that? Granted, if you could read Japanese I'm sure the website gives a good description of how to do every attack.

None of this would be that big of a problem though, except the AI is impossible. Sure, it may not seem hard at first, but the matches last far too long. Over half of every match I played ended in a draw, because the timer ran out. And if the timer runs out... bullshit ensues. If you have more health when the timer goes down, you AND your opponent score one win. But if your opponent has more health at the end, then only they get a point. What if you have more health two times in a row? Game Over. BULL FRICKIN' HORSE SHIT.

Maybe that difficulty patch will help things, but like I said, it isn't the difficulty so much as the fact that it takes far too long to kill an opponent.

And those special attacks are still crap to pull off. Take a hint from Capcom and SNK, game designers.

Edited by Legendary Emerald

I absolutely adore the game but the main thing that's bugging me is that I have absolutely no idea how to do

The main site for the game doesn't seem to be of much help either. Edited by Top Cat

I've managed to get up to the vs Silver and Amy fight before quitting as Sonic, here are my thoughts and hints on each fight.

Tails- Being the first fight, Tails is pretty easy, except for his cyclone special which can rack up some decent damage if it hits and you aren't able to block. Other than that you can just corner him and as long as he doesn't block too much he's as good as dead.

Amy- Amy is like Tails, however she can occasionally pull out an annoying dashing hammer combo if she is far away from you.

Gamma- You need to stay as close as possible to Gamma during this whole fight due to the ffact that alot of his attacks fail at close range, such as the one where he shoots 3 crosshairs and fires a load of bullets at you. He is pretty powerful though and has a nasty habit of spamming projectiles if you get too far away, just stay close and you'll be fine.

Silver- This fight is extremely easy if you can time your dashes, blocks and jumps well. Alot of the time his attacks can be easily avoided and you can attack him after the attack is done.

Knuckles- Knuckles can be annoying if you don't know his tactics. He has an annoying tactic of digging and throwing boulders alot, however you do have a few seconds to hit him after each of these attacks. He also has an odd habit of using a long air combo if you're on the ground sometimes and when he is done he is extremely vunerable because he'll be defenseless as he falls.

Omega- This is where the game gets hard. Omegas power and range is absolutely immense. He has a horrible tactic of hitting you with his electric bomb cluster and then doing an air combo that can easily take off up to a third of your health. You can't even outrange him either due to him having energy spheres and a wide slash that moves him forwards and that annoying special where he dashes across the whole stage with a massive hitbox and damage output. The best thing to do would be to just combo him and hope for the best.

Rouge- This fight is just awful, she is always either attacking you or blocking. Alot of her attacks have decent range and power, they can also lead her into easy air combos. My advice here is to just try and hope for her to be left vunerable and rack up as much damage as possible.

Shadow- THIS PESKY TEENAGER HAS MADE ME TEAR EVERY HAIR FROM MY BEAUTIFUL HEAD! Shadow is just pure pain, he can easily combo you, and nearly all of his attacks do massive damage, not to mention he has huge range due to his guns, homing attack and chaos spear. His chaos control is just horrible, you're stuck and he can beat you up as much as he wants and you can't even do anything. Just hope for the best here.

Beta- Beta is easy, you can just win this fight by button mashing, he has about 3 attacks that all have pitiful damage.

Gamma and Omega- Omega needs to be taken out first, otherwise him and Gamma can build up damage on you and Tails extremely quickly. The same tactics apply for each of them on thier own.

Silver and Amy- I have yet to beat these two, and with good reason, Amy seems to have got better at fighting and is now able to pull off several combos at close range while Silver showers you with projectiles, I don't know what to do on this fight because Tails always seems to get himself killed quickly, leaving you to get mauled by Silver and Amy.

Jesus, this game is LONG. As if the single battles weren't hard enough, now we gotta do 2v2 AND 3v3?! Christ did this guy design this game with hard mode as the default difficulty setting? >_< Oh, and if you thought the regular battles were impossible, the final boss is hell. It's like trying to kill Cthulhu with a pea shooter. He BARELY TAKES DAMAGE! Though he doesn't kill you quickly, nor are his attacks all that hard to avoid, you can barely put a dent in this guy's health!

And I have to agree with Legendary on the attacks. There are WAY too many and way too many to memorize, and the more useful moves, read: specials, super specials and auto combos, are all mapped to completely different button inputs for each character. It was hard enough having to learn where all the attacks were for just ONE character but now I have to relearn the same moves for each character?!

And most of the time I find the game being VERY picky about whether it registers a button combo and performs the special. I have to be very specific with my inputs before it lets me do the appropriate attack. In the heat of battle, the last thing I need to worry about is inputing a button combo to the games liking. This also happens with recovering. I can't be pressing any other directional button when attempting to recover, and even then it seems there needs to be a specific criteria for whether it'll let me recover after getting hit a certain way. It may be because of my keyboard but I've never had that kind of trouble when playing Marvel vs Capcom.

The game also seemed to be free of glitches and the like.

The most crippling and MOST noticeable, and practically unavoidable one is whenever you cross over your opponent while in the air. Your controls get reversed and you don't turn around until you hit the ground. It makes playing this game smoothly almost impossible.

Edited by Black Spy

Well, I've played it now. If you ask me, it is far too complicated for it's own good.

There are FOUR standard attack buttons: light, medium, heavy, and knock back. Then there are two special buttons: one used for aireal manuevers that I never got the hang of, and another that does... well, you press down and use it and you get a temporary shield. That's six buttons. You'd better hope you have a controller pad.

Actually, the 5th button is just for recharging energy, and the 6th button handles both evasive maneuvers and the barrier depending on which direction you press with it, that's quite simple.

Since those buttons are barely ever used, the most you have to handle are 4 attack buttons, which isn't much at all for a 2d fighting game.

Granted, this is a game where you need practice to master a character, you can't just jump into it like in a smash bros match where all characters basically behave the same way (in terms of commands); again, it's a common thing for 2d fighting games.

Also, you should by all means check out the english Tutorial I wrote down in my first post, to learn the basics first. :P

Then there are the special attacks. Most of them are just so asine. Yes, there are the standard hadokens. But every other attack requires something just odd. You either press down twice before pressing an attack button, or away and forward quickly plus a button. And all three of the attack buttons have one or more special attack assigned to them. That is a hell of a lot of special attacks, and I don't see how all of them are necessary.

And those special attacks are still crap to pull off. Take a hint from Capcom and SNK, game designers.

As I said, you are supposed to practice (you can use Vs. Mode) using a character before you can hope to be proficient with it, as in before you've learnt all of his specials and when to use them.

Sure, you can just mash buttons and still get decent combos, but there's just no way you'll beat the stronger opponents if you aren't well trained.

If there's one thing I really like about this game is that special attacks, while they may look like they were added for the sake of it at first glance, are actually all useful in different situations. You'll notice if you really get good with a character.

Super Specials are even harder to pull off, but only because you have to try every manuever with every button combination to find what activates it. Some even require you to imput the same directions TWICE before you press a button; who's going to think of that? Granted, if you could read Japanese I'm sure the website gives a good description of how to do every attack.

Actually, you ARE supposed to think of pressing a direction button twice, since you ARE supposed to have learnt how to perform your character's supers. ^_^'

None of this would be that big of a problem though, except the AI is impossible. Sure, it may not seem hard at first, but the matches last far too long. Over half of every match I played ended in a draw, because the timer ran out. And if the timer runs out... bullshit ensues. If you have more health when the timer goes down, you AND your opponent score one win. But if your opponent has more health at the end, then only they get a point. What if you have more health two times in a row? Game Over. BULL FRICKIN' HORSE SHIT.

Maybe that difficulty patch will help things, but like I said, it isn't the difficulty so much as the fact that it takes far too long to kill an opponent.

As for the AI, it really is strong at higher levels, but then again, weren't the AI challenging, what would you be left with in a game without Online play? You'd have nothing to achieve, just randomly beat characters to death, like you do with the first encounters of the story mode.

(well, there actually is a way to play online, but I'll save it for when more people get into the game :P)

Yea, there's also the Easy Patch, but since the whole challenge of this game is to become good enough to compete with strong CPU, I recommend you don't install it.

One thing I must agree with you on is the Timer though: I'm sure it might be lengthened or entirely removed in later versions, since it happens quite often to not be able to finish off your opponents in time, unless you're really good.

Black Spy, I think what I wrote addressed your post as well, except for:

The most crippling and MOST noticeable, and practically unavoidable one is whenever you cross over your opponent while in the air. Your controls get reversed and you don't turn around until you hit the ground. It makes playing this game smoothly almost impossible.

This, I must agree with: it gets confusing in the heat of battle, and should definitely be fixed in later versions.

Due to the fact that I loved Sonic Battle with a passion, I'm going to give this an attempt. From the video previews, good engine, nice sound effects. I won't focus on the negative atm, but I'll give this a try and post my honest opinions about it after I've run it through.

-Iceman

I absolutely adore the game but the main thing that's bugging me is that I have absolutely no idea how to do

The main site for the game doesn't seem to be of much help either.

<-, ->, <-, -> + A

Btw, when you can't get how to perform a special or super move, just check the Tutorial i wrote in my first post and try out all the combinations I put in there. ;)

(the moveset on the website is outdated)

Edited by ilcane87

Well I just finished the story mode as Sonic... yes, THE WHOLE THING on easy! Even the final boss. And let me say this one thing despite my earlier concerns with the 2v2 and 3v3 matches, they are actually LOADS of fun. I guess for the simple fact that working in co-op with a partner is far more exhilarating than with just two opponents. So fun that I'm gonna go BACK and go play from the 2v2 matches. I especially love combining specials to completely pwn the opposition, though me and Tails took it real good from Omega and Gamma who both used their specials at the same time and raped us so hard, it was AWESOME!

Guess I'm just a sucker for co-op fights.

I'm enjoying the game very much so. Although with most fighting games I can pick up most combos in about 15 mins this game still has me compleatly baffled with specials and power moves, I can pull off like 1 every 5 trys.

Gave the game a try and it's pretty good/interesting. I'll give it another try later with my Ps2 remote... YAY for Ps2 to USB adapters!

From what I could grasp on the japanese website, the next version should be coming very soon, here's the update showing 4 new character silhouettes:

http://66.196.80.202/babelfish/translate_url_content?.intl=us&lp=ja_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww7a.biglobe.ne.jp%2f%7esdside%2fsblentop.html

They're Jet, Cream, Chaos 0 and Emerl.

Can't wait! B)

Edited by ilcane87

So.. out of boredom I was thinking of making a visual how-to guide on how to play the game.

Should I go for it? Would people here even bother using it?

So.. out of boredom I was thinking of making a visual how-to guide on how to play the game.

Should I go for it? Would people here even bother using it?

I think the tutorial I wrote in the first post is clear enough... if you're really that bored, you could write a full move-set for every character, it'd be more useful and much appreciated. tongue.gif

EDIT: since the download link for the game is currently down, here's a Megaupload link:

Edited by ilcane87