Awoo.

So Does anyone have it?

sjmaster92

Yeah It was released today and there don't seem to be any vids or impressions anywhere, yes I know most games aren't available on release date, but usually somewhere out there someone is playing and posting vids. So does anyone here have it? And if you do is it any good?

I want to get it but can't afford an overly priced device just for one game....

I hope my family does the paying instead because the total price is my entire paycheck DX

I wish i had it......

I bet there are no traces of if because of how limited it is. Its only available in North America and you have to pay $200 for it.

*Story spoilers*

There's really not much to say except there is a second world grand prix. Also, Metal Sonic makes a return near the end because he collects all of the racers data. The story was not fun because nearly all of the missions were to stay above s certain speed or whatever.

http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/sports/sonicfreeriders/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-57019479&pid=997715&tag=topics;title

Metal Sonic's profile on the official site mentions copying everyone's data. Could Metal Sonic be the final boss like in Heroes again?

http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/sports/sonicfreeriders/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-57019479&pid=997715&tag=topics;title

Metal Sonic's profile on the official site mentions copying everyone's data. Could Metal Sonic be the final boss like in Heroes again?

Wait he got a Kinect (personal friend)? I am going to bug him to tell me about the game when he gets on today, though that would explain why he hasn't been on. XD;

Going to see if I can ask him to record some cutscenes and such, he has a dazzle but likely playing first.

Edited by Dusk the Horror Keeper

Looks like aside from Fantasy, I'm the first one here with the game then. I've just got back from a rally crappy day though, and it looks like I'll have to go out again :|

I tell you all what, I'm gonna play through the whole thing first, collecting data all the while and then post stuff when I'm done. I'll try to wrangle up the theme song as well if no one has already.

Thanks Aquaslash! :D

Miles Prower CC says he's half way done and sounds like he's really pushing himself to beat it.

He's shared some more info and story details, too:

Most of the jokes are childish fun, Storm being dumb and Jet blaming his mistakes on others. Wave is getting all the blame stacked on her for a mechanical failure during a major Baylon vs Heroes race.

Sonic and Knuckles are too caught up in the competition to care about the technical aspects of the race, leading them to pile up the maintenance on Miles who wishes they'd pitch in.

Then there is Amy upset that Sonic won't take it easy on her, and Vector is going crazy cause his team(Team Rose) sucks and he really wants the prize money.

Rouge threatens to steal the prize money if Team Dark is beaten while Shadow and Jet's pride clash with one another.

I just finished Team Hero's campaign, moving onto Team Babylon.

Whew man just finished Team Babylon's campaign which unlocked Team Rose and Team Dark. I gotta take a breather though, my legs are starting to feel the burn!

Team Rose will be up next. Apparently they were not planned to be in the Grand Prix but arrived just in the nick of time. Cream originally came just to watch but Amy convinced her to ride, she also hired Vector to race knowing he wouldn't be able to resist the alure of cold hard cash prizes.

More talk of voice actors.

Amy is more high pitched, but her actor speaks clearly and has good inflection. I think she's about equal to the old Amy, just need time to get used to her.

Cream is a little less soft spoken, but is still similar overall.

Vector is very pretty similar, not much change with him.

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?350553-Sonic-Free-Riders-Central-Intelligence&p=6317274&viewfull=1#post6317274

Here's an important note, worthy of another post.

If you're confused on how to skip conscenes, hold your hand up like you're saying "Stop" and you will get confirmation to skip a scene.

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?350553-Sonic-Free-Riders-Central-Intelligence&p=6317386&viewfull=1#post6317386

First I gotta get there, my fur is messy from all this sweat and my legs are killin me! Need a little time to recover here!

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?350553-Sonic-Free-Riders-Central-Intelligence/page4

I got the Kinect Bundle with this last night at the midnight release. =w=b

Still tryin' to figure out these damn controls.

Frag me sideways, I can't do jump tricks D: I can't jump that high regardless, never mind do a spin! And I need to do it too so I can see the rest of the tutorial on how to use weapons :/

Also Smith is such a better Sonic than Griffith it's not even funny. Sonic has the same intro line as he did in the other riders games and it sounds SO MUCH BETTER. In fact, I'll record it next race.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Have you tried crouching low and then jumping high? I have a feeling there is more a chance of things working well when exaggerated.

I tried that. I actually got it by being LESS exaggerated. Uploading the clip. I'll post it in one of the voice threads

Man I am tired. What a work out. The controls need to be tighten up a bit and it would be awesome. For now its good just need lot of practice.

I got this game on its release. It is totally super duper awesome. The stage design is fantastic, the most notable being the Expert stages which are very complex and full of creative intricacies that seem to take inspiration from the best parts of the first two outings, whilst adding a whole bunch of new stuff that greatly improves the experience. The stage gimmicks are also pretty rad this time about - instead of the hum-drum Control Stick rotation sections of the first Riders, the bobsleigh, dolphin, and minecart sections are actually pretty darn fun. Also, unlike Heroes, all 4 stories take place on a different set of tracks to keep things from getting too stale. The writing's pretty funny as well (Vector: "Aww yeah, I'm eating DINNER tonight!"). The only thing I don't like about it is that it's a Kinect title. Oh god my calves they are sore. Apparently 8-hour gaming sessions are no good. Bah.

Overall, I'd say it'd easily be the best out of the three Riders games if it weren't for its Kinect exclusivity.

Edited by HunterTSF
  • Thumbs Up 3

it'd easily be the best out of the three Riders games if it weren't for its Kinect exclusivity.

..and if there was a proper story with normal and CG cutscenes.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Overall, I'd say it'd easily be the best out of the three Riders games if it weren't for its Kinect exclusivity.

Thanks for the write up! Nice to hear a fan's perspective. B)

I'd argue though that if it weren't for Kinect, we probably wouldn't have seen a Riders title at all. SEGA already had one Sonic racing title this year, and Wii has it's share of Sonic titles for this fall already, so I really can't imagine an alternate universe where Free Riders was released as a controller-only game for the 360, Wii or otherwise.

• Thumbs Up 1

Picked it up yesterday, it's a fun game. Not "omfg amazing", but it's as fun as playing a game of Ollie King at the arcade (aka it's fun). Motion controls were accurate. The key is to be far back enough so that the game can see your feet (most Kinect titles track your legs, but I feel that Free Riders relies on legs AND feet). Also, to effectively turn you have to turn with your waist AND arms. The difference is almost night and day. my first race I placed 2nd, my second race I placed 1st. My first online race I placed 2nd. I will say that it is the best Riders game I've played and unlike the first game, I actually feel the need to complete it.

Other notes:

-music and voices are great

-menus are "meh", but voice controls nearly fix the problems. What's wrong with the menus is that rather than relying on the usual UI, they attempted this wonky 3D spinning thing that is just too had to control until you find the ideal arm sweeps to navigate. After my first hour of playing, I mastered the menu. :P

-I like the character designs/models. Much more in line with the other Sonic releases this year

-Online play is fun!

If you have a Kinect and like Sonic, pick this game up! But don't buy Kinect FOR this game alone. Buy Kinect for Dance Central and the promise of future great titles. Space Channel 5 part 3 please?

Edited by Barry the Nomad
  • Thumbs Up 1

Enjoying it so far. My only motion I'm really having trouble with is power character punching. That darn Knuckles mission in the icy place took me ages.

Agreed the menus are annoying, but voice commands work fine for me.

Anyone else keep pausing by accident though? Dunno what I'm doing but drives me nuts. XD Happens about once every few races.

Oh, and for anyone having trouble steering, I find keeping my legs straight and pretending I'm a giant joystick helps.

What do you use for some of the voice commands? I mean, I tried saying 'select' a few times, but then that seemed to stop working. D:

And yeah, I keep pausing it by accident, too. DX I still have some issues with tight corners, as well.

I think some menus (such as the in-game pause screen) do not support voice. If you don't see the mic icon, then it isn't set to listen.

I think some menus (such as the in-game pause screen) do not support voice. If you don't see the mic icon, then it isn't set to listen.

Right, it IS "select" then. I have no trouble choosing my option, but "confirm!" "Yes!" "select!" "okay!" - nothing seemed to work so I always dragged once I'd chosen. I'll try speaking "select" more clearly next time.

Yeah, I remember when I first tried to figure it out. "Yes! Go!... Start! Okay!...... select?"

They really needed a little "select" within that arrow button. Otherwise people play the guessing game.

• 1 month later...

I definately won't be getting Kinect, it's like buying an extra console and i'd only really want Riders for anyway.

If you have a Kinect and like Sonic, pick this game up! But don't buy Kinect FOR this game alone. Buy Kinect for Dance Central and the promise of future great titles. Space Channel 5 part 3 please?

Yes, yes, yes. After the success of Just Dance just throw in a freestyle mode and they'd be rolling in monies.

I'm suprised they haven't done it for the Wii yet actually. Or the Move, the DS, the iPhone...

COMON SEGA! WAKE UP! SC5P3!