Awoo.

The Trick System in Generations.

King Frosty

So as we've seen so far, the Trick System is carried from Sonic Rush and it's used as another means to fill up the boost meter. (Considering now it drains even faster I'm not complaining)

But are we gonna get points in our Score for all the tricks we do in the stage? And how else will we use the system in Generations for other Stages or Games?

Basically the question is how do you want it to function? :)

Sorry if this is a bad topic. ._.

So as we've seen so far, the Trick System is carried from Sonic Rush and it's used as another means to fill up the boost meter. (Considering now it drains even faster I'm not complaining)

But are we gonna get points in our Score for all the tricks we do in the stage? And how else will we use the system in Generations for other Stages or Games?

Basically the question is how do you want it to function? :)

Sorry if this is a bad topic. ._.

I want it to be a reward for pulling off certain tricks. Hopefully it won't kill you for not doing them but I want it to reward you with secret pathways and such. Or maybe gaining objects like music or concept art. Later stages will probably increase the difficulty to perform tricks. Buttons would be nice to use in later games. A, B, Y and x would all do different tricks. If they can also use this for other characters besides sonic I would be open to that idea as well.

Edited by Dudehedgehogfan1996

I still find it a bit baffling that the trick system was removed in favour of QTEs in the transition from Rush to Unleashed. Maybe the developers were worried that it would be too complex to include in a game that already made the player learn two different playstyles? I dunno. I'm not surprised that it was left out of Colours, considering that game was all about reining in the boost, but I'm glad it's returning here. The only thing it's really missing are the cheering and confetti from the Rush games; I always loved that.

...I don't think making tricks more difficult or mandatory in later stages makes much sense. Tricking is a move, not just a thing that happens like the QTEs; it can be used in more places than just the big theatrical jumps, so it should be consistent in how it works and what its effects are.

Still don't like Sonic's doing tricks, don't like him being portrayed as extreme, I'd rather have him cool and laxed. And so far we've seen they will use the Trick System far more frequently than QTE's.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Still don't like Sonic's doing tricks, don't like him being portrayed as extreme, I'd rather have him cool and laxed.

Still don't like Sonic's doing tricks, don't like him being portrayed as extreme, I'd rather have him cool and laxed. And so far we've seen they will use the Trick System far more frequently than QTE's.

I think the tricks play more into his show off attitude, I mean yeah he's cool and laxed, but still a cocky little fucker.

Really? Other than the Rush games and Generations I can't remember when it was used.

• Thumbs Up 4

The trick system from the original Sonic Riders would be awesome. Didn't tricks award you air in that game, too? The concept could be brought over in full, replacing air for boost meter... more fullness? Either way, moving the analog stick and trying to stick the landing with your feet instead of your head is more fun than button mashing!

I wish that they added the advance 2 tricks to the trick system like they did in Rush

Hopefully they'll at least use that set up in the 3DS version

From what I've heard, tricks are preformed by moving the left analog stick in random directions to rack up Combos, and you press a certain button (or buttons; it's one of the shoulder or trigger buttons or both... the guy I heard about it from said he wasn't sure and would just press all 4 of them...) to pull of a "FINISH!", which would award you even more Boost Energy. Tricks can only be pulled off when you go off special golden ramps and through the rainbow hoop thingies. And no, tricks aren't the only way to fill up the Boost Gauge; it also fills up a bit when you collect rings, defeat enemies, and drift like in Unleashed. However, only tricks will let you get so much that you EXCEED the base Boost Gauge (meaning you can get more Boost Energy than the Gauge itself can contain). Extra Boost Energy will appear green and be outside of the Boost Gauge, so you can get it ridiculously longer than normal. Also, tricks are not mandatory; they are completely optional, but are recommended if you want/need to fill the Boost Gauge.

Edited by Spider-Man Noir

Not sure what you mean by this lol

• 7 months later...

WOAH.

OLD TOPIC.

Time for a bump.

So what did everybody think of the Trick System now having played it?

Suuuucks.

Waggle the stick (or just hold it if you don't give a shit) to get more energy for a mechanic that is both shitty and yet integral to the gameplay. It's neither interesting nor fun, just busywork.

I could imagine it'd be hard work wriggling the stick a few times for 4 or so seconds.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well I'm used to waggling a stick around so it was fun and easy for me.

Wow, that came out wrong

Edited by Nintendoga
  • Thumbs Up 2

I loved it at first, but now I feel it's kind of pointless. It's still far too easy to get boost anyway and it's kind of awkward. I don't think it's necessary considering how even in Speed Runs, you're trying to retain your boost as much as possible, yet it's quicker to do fewer tricks and a finish than it is to trick all the way to the bottom, as after the finisher you fall faster. Going for points is kind of useless, as S ranks are still easily gained even if you do barely any tricks, considering speed, rings and not dying are still much more important.

And using the control stick and the LB and RB buttons was kind of weird, I may have preferred it if it was more like Rush where you use the actual buttons and finish with one of those.

So yeah, nice little gimmick, but really pointless.

I like them simply because they have some nice aesthetic value. All the tricks are really nicely animated.

I wish that they added the advance 2 tricks to the trick system like they did in Rush

Hopefully they'll at least use that set up in the 3DS version

Hindsight; It's hilarious.

It was okay but yeah overall felt pretty pointless. If it had been usable more often and that was the only way to get boost, it might have felt more worthwhile. I dunno.

Overall I preferred QTEs honestly but I'd rather see them decide routes in the future, like the one before the tree in Savannah Citadel. No insta-death ones. Hell in fact really COMPLETING the QTE should send you to a deadlier route as a proof of competence for entry, while lesser players can fall down and enjoy a longer but simpler route with less bonuses. Other than that simply adding some kind of simple air mobility might be nice so there are multiple landing points, with perhaps some kind of trick system allowing quick movement, sort of like an eight-direction mid-air quickstep.

They were okay, better then QTE's, but still not amazing. I mainly like them because of the aesthetic value: Sonic flipping and spinning around while doing tricks looked awesome.

I liked the trick-system; it was a simple, easy way to rack up points (or boost energy....), you didn't have to nail it to get to the next section of the level.. hell, you didn't even have to do it much at all if you didn't want to; after doing one trick, you could have ended the trick chain. It was a fun little mini-game within the level that did its job.

Definitely an improvement over Unleashed's QTEs and Colors' button-mashing.

They were alright, useful for gaining more boost but at times it felt a bit uncomfortable when moving the analog stick then trying to maintain balance while landing. Perhaps if they added more alternative routes that could go up or in different directions like in Unleashed with the QTEs then maybe they would be less awkward (The same goes for if they use QTEs), the trick system in Generations was also a bit pointless as you don't gain bonus points for performing them.

I think the problem here is that tricking was just what it was a...mini game. It added nothing of much value.

Its for this reason why I also prefer QTE honestly... least in Unleashed tricking had a purpose.

See this is how tricking should have went down...depending on how many tricks you pulled off depends on how you traverse the stage...the best example of this is Sonic Advance 2... despite people disliking the game in general its trick system was fluid and had purpose in its usage.

Instead of Sonic flinging about going through auto rainbow rings why not let people control the direction you want to go b pulling of a trick while your in Air Time? It would totally work if done well and would add meat to the gameplay.

If the next game can have a trick system simlar to Advance 2...I'd be a happy panda.

Edited by Voy-Boy
  • Thumbs Up 3