The Trick System in Generations.

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Carnage Warp

Carnage Warp

I have no idea what to put here

• TSS Member
  • 5,256 Posts:
  • Skype:bmxskiawesomeness55 (say you're from SSMB when adding me)
  • Steam:chaoswarp
  • NNID:chaoswarp19 (say you're from SSMB when adding me)
  • XBL:son1c14 (say you're from SSMB when adding me)
  • PSN:chaoswarp19 (say you're from SSMB when adding me)
  • Location:Somewhere in the deep depths of Mystic Cave Zone......

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:36 PM

They were okay, better then QTE's, but still not amazing. I mainly like them because of the aesthetic value: Sonic flipping and spinning around while doing tricks looked awesome.

#22 EXshad

EXshad

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

I liked the trick-system; it was a simple, easy way to rack up points (or boost energy....), you didn't have to nail it to get to the next section of the level.. hell, you didn't even have to do it much at all if you didn't want to; after doing one trick, you could have ended the trick chain. It was a fun little mini-game within the level that did its job.

Definitely an improvement over Unleashed's QTEs and Colors' button-mashing.

#23 C.J

C.J

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:17 PM

They were alright, useful for gaining more boost but at times it felt a bit uncomfortable when moving the analog stick then trying to maintain balance while landing. Perhaps if they added more alternative routes that could go up or in different directions like in Unleashed with the QTEs then maybe they would be less awkward (The same goes for if they use QTEs), the trick system in Generations was also a bit pointless as you don't gain bonus points for performing them.

#24 Sean

Sean

I keep seeing you from the dark with you above me

• Retired Staff
  • 8,380 Posts:

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:47 PM

They're easier to pull off than QTEs but it doesn't make them any less horrible.

#25 Voyant

Voyant

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:59 PM

I think the problem here is that tricking was just what it was a...mini game. It added nothing of much value.

Its for this reason why I also prefer QTE honestly... least in Unleashed tricking had a purpose.

See this is how tricking should have went down...depending on how many tricks you pulled off depends on how you traverse the stage...the best example of this is Sonic Advance 2... despite people disliking the game in general its trick system was fluid and had purpose in its usage.

Instead of Sonic flinging about going through auto rainbow rings why not let people control the direction you want to go b pulling of a trick while your in Air Time? It would totally work if done well and would add meat to the gameplay.

If the next game can have a trick system simlar to Advance 2...I'd be a happy panda.

Edited by Voy-Boy, 04 March 2012 - 11:01 PM.

#26 KHCast

KHCast

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:04 PM

I found it a lot better than QTE's. They didn't feel manual and forced compared to QTE's. Those out of place panels were gone. and sonic looked cooler. Although improvement is needed. A advance like system would be cool. Or maybe depending on how many tricks you pull off will send you into different areas. Having total control of were you go kinda sounds weird. Maybe buttons also instead of analog sticks.

Edited by Hedgehogs Boost, 04 March 2012 - 11:09 PM.

#27 Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Moe~

• TSS Member
  • 1,903 Posts:

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:12 PM

I like them, it's a fun little mini-game that helps you get more boost mid-stage. Nothing mind-blowing but it's not meant to be, it's just a fun little diversion that looks cool. I only wish they included this in Colors instead of "Mash A a lot" because that was the stupidest QTE-related idea I've ever seen.

Edited by Solid SOAP, 05 March 2012 - 10:18 PM.

#28 MegaMan_EXE

MegaMan_EXE

NT Warrior

• TSS Member
  • 944 Posts:
  • 3DS:4124-5940-2103
  • PSN:rklpz

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:02 AM

Is awesome. Why? I felt the Rainbow Rings had a bigger purpose than getting more points.
Not only did it boost up the Boost bar (LOL), but it also made Sonic look cooler than he already does.
Anyone agree?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users