Awoo.

Vocaloid

Sami

I'm honestly surprised this topic hasn't been done yet, considering how late this is, but what with my recent Vocaloid obsession, I couldn't resist.

For all five of you who've never heard of it, Vocaloid is a poplar computer program used to create a synthesized voice you can make songs with. Think of it as using a voice as an instrument. Different developers like Zero-G, Power FX, and Crypton make the voices (now linked to different "avatars") and release them in packs, with the most popular being Crypton's Japanese only Hatsune Miku (who has an English voicebank coming soon). Starting out as an obscure program in 2004, Hatsune Miku's release in 2007 started a huge rush of songs and music videos on what's basically Japan's equivalent of YouTube, Nico Nico Douga. For an example of what it sounds like, here are some of my favorite Vocaloid songs: Matryoshka (feat. Hatsune Miku and Gumi) , World is Mine (feat. Hatsune Miku), and Meltdown (feat. Rin Kagamine).

Matryoshka (I can only embed one video, and I think World is Mine Miku hologram has the most eyecatching thumbnail wink.gif)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTXO7KGHtjI

^From a live show in Japan. World is Mine is also the first Miku song to debut in the U.S. thanks to Toyota's Corolla commercials that feature the song, and when it was sold on iTunes, it was the 7th best selling international song. A similar show took place at Anime Expo at Los Angeles, and was the first time Anime Expo had ever been sold out.

Meltdown

Now a worldwide phenomenon, Vocaloid has both an enormous fanbase and its fair share of critics. Many critics dislike it for sounding "too fake" and "robotic". One of my favorite counters to that is from Ryo, one of the most popular artists on Nico Nico Douga, who replied saying "Well, I like processed orange juice more than 100% natural orange juice".

So what do you guys think? Is it a fad that needs to die soon? The next big genre? An opportunity for aspiring artists to take their first step into the music industry? I'm curious as to what a primarily Euro-American non-anime site like the SSMB thinks.

Personally, I think of it as both a good opportunity to introduce new artists to the industry and also hope for it to become a huge genre worldwide. Without Vocaloid, we wouldn't get awesome shit like this (the former being a parody of Matryoshka and the latter being what Ryo moved on to do as supercell. A band that wouldn't exist if not for Ryo's success on Nico Nico Douga with his Miku songs), and that deserves, if nothing more, plenty of credit. I also really like the sound of the voices when used correctly, and consider it no more "fake" sounding than most autotuned singers of today.

Edited by Dissident

Ew, Vocaloid.

I'm glad I can sing without the use of technology.

Wait is this about that?

*edit*

YES IT NEEDS to die soon. Next thing you know, we'll have our instruments on computers and... Nevermind it's already happened...

Talentless jerks....

My question: do you prefer musicians who have worked their ass off in obtaining skill, technique, style, and speed and a sense of poetry and musical structure, than computerized music?

I prefer the musician who worked his ass off.

Edited by TheREVerend
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ew, Vocaloid.

I'm glad I can sing without the use of technology.

Wait is this about that?

*edit*

YES IT NEEDS to die soon. Next thing you know, we'll have our instruments on computers and... Nevermind it's already happened...

Talentless jerks....

My question: do you prefer musicians who have worked their ass off in obtaining skill, technique, style, and speed and a sense of poetry and musical structure, than computerized music?

I prefer the musician who worked his ass off.

You really are an ignorant person. I make music on my computer and its not easy. I have to arrange chords, write rffs and melodies, program drums, record vocals, mix it and master it. Not to mention program synthesizers which probably haven't got a clue how to do.

Try making a bass sound on this.

screen_mmv2.jpg

Yeah thought so. dry.gif

• Thumbs Up 5

You really are an ignorant person. I make music on my computer and its not easy. I have to arrange chords, write rffs and melodies, program drums, record vocals, mix it and master it. Not to mention program synthesizers which probably haven't got a clue how to do.

screen_mmv2.jpg

Yeah thought so. dry.gif

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 5

Wow...

And that's just ONE program, isn't it?

Let's up the intimidation factor to show him further what digital musicians have to work with. Let's say this for example:

07299557691003847803.jpg

This is what working with FL Studio looks like if you know what you're doing. You NEED skill to know how to work with all of that without making a mess of things on ACCIDENT. So exactly what makes us so talentless considering the technology and factors that go into this? Because I bet you wouldn't know how any of this stuff works.

Now that's going too far. It's still J-pop...or at least it's still part of an already recognized genre.

Wow...

And that's just ONE program, isn't it?

Let's up the intimidation factor to show him further what digital musicians have to work with. Let's see you make a full song with this for example:

07299557691003847803.jpg

This is what working with FL Studio looks like if you know what you're doing when making high quality songs. That's more than 20 programs all rolled into one for use within the main VSTi.

You NEED skill to know how to work with all of that without making a mess of things on ACCIDENT. So exactly what makes us so talentless considering the technology and factors that go into this? Because I bet you wouldn't know how any of this stuff works.

Edited by Aquaslash
  • Thumbs Up 1

BTW, about Vocaloids.

It turns out third Vocaloid (Vocaloid3), with the name of the project «i-style».

The main character: Aoki Lapis.

Personzh looks stunning, feminine and very beautiful.

So, 13 August, plan to show us the project. I want to see him soon.

Now there is a trailer for this show and it highlighted the main character's model:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N56mP-yGwQ0

Official Site: http://i-style.surpara.com/

Creators: StudioDEEN

I never understood the hype with vocaloids. I think the Miku concert is some really cool stuff though, and the fact that /that/ many people go to them is... really something.

I remember when it was just Miku, then there was like, Ren and Len (Or however you spell it) and now theres too many, lol.

I never had a problem with the vocaloids, it has a respectable fanbase that doesn't really get in the way of anything from what I've encountered, so I don't have a reason to hate it or anything =p

I absolutely love Vocaloid; Yamaha and Crypton Future Media have designed what I perceive to be one of the most fantastically awesome-sounding digital instruments ever created - and then they gave it a personality, a name and a cute face. Genius stuff, and the live concerts that Sega put on to publicise their excellent Project Diva titles are utterly wowing - if you haven't already checked out the 39's Giving Day performance of Meltdown, (featuring one of Crypton's second Vocaloids, Rin Kagamine) then prepare to be have your mind blown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih-inAjtozQ

Simply incredible stuff.

Edited by eXtaticus
  • Thumbs Up 1

My middle sister is obsessed with Vocaloids. I, Personally never took the time to listen to them that much, but from what I've heard, they are pretty catchy and interesting.

screen_mmv2.jpg

Yeah thought so. dry.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah, Here's the deal with Computers.

The "Musicians" suck LIVE.... Unless you want to DJ. That's something else... I like DJs

Do you know how hard it is for someone to make computerized music of such decent quality? Let me tell you, it's not a walk in the park.

Digital musicians work their ass off in obtaining skill, technique, style, and speed with poetry and musical structure as much as those who play real instruments. It's just a matter of the way they do it.

Not only that, but watch the live video. In the background (behind Miku's screen) you can see people playing real instruments. Not everyone who can play an instrument is that good at singing, but what if you want to have vocals in a song anyway? The answer: Vocaloid.

I think this video illustrates it best:

It's both an effective advertisement AND a good song. =D

Anyway, I've recently become a fan thanks to the efforts of Dissident. I think it's a great way for beginning artists to get into music, and if they're used properly, the songs can sound pretty freaking awesome.

Some really great ones:

Love Is War:

Black Rock Shooter:

Kokoro:

(Also, I love how all the concert goers in that live video are holding leeks XD)

EDIT: This one's really freaking addictive:

Edited by Rigby

Fuck that EmoOtakuGirl Miku, bring Ulala back for real Grown-ups FFS!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5OHs7XyF_A

Ah, Here's the deal with Computers.

The "Musicians" suck LIVE.... Unless you want to DJ. That's something else... I like DJ's

Honestly, I have no problem with Digital musicians, but I think it's better to just... Learn how to play an instrument. I think it's "cheating" when people Auto-Tune their voice. Synthesizing is ok for some parts here and there, but Auto Tune is just bad.

More power to you if you like the music.

I don't think you're understanding something here: Vocaloid is an instrument.

Also, regarding the whole "musicians who have worked their ass off in obtaining skill, technique, style, and speed and a sense of poetry and musical structure" thing: What's easier, getting pure juice and adding Calcium Hydroxide, Vitamin D3, Fish Oil, Fish Gelatin, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin E Acetate, Calcium Citrate, Beta Carotene, Malic Acid, Citric Acid, and other natural flavors, and then mixing it perfectly enough so that it looks delicious as opposed to resembling some kind of unholy abomination? Or holding an orange, crushing it, pouring the juice into a cup and calling it a day?

Edit: Also, it would be cool if people did the same as Rigby and posted their favorite Vocaloid songs as well. I mean, this is the topic about a musical program, it's kind of the best place for that. xD

Edited by Dissident
  • Thumbs Up 1

<

Ah, Here's the deal with Computers

The "Musicians" suck LIVE.... Unless you want to DJ. That's something else... I like DJ's

Honestly, I have no problem with Digital musicians, but I think it's better to just... Learn how to play an instrument. I think it's "cheating" when people Auto-Tune their voice. Synthesizing is ok for some parts here and there, but Auto Tune is just bad.

More power to you if you like the music.

If you still haven't got a clue. A Syntheziser is an instrument most of them have keyboards, just because it isn't a Guitar or Piano doesn't make less of an instrutment.

Not all Synthesizers are Digital some are analogue!tongue.gif

Most of the Metal music you adore is recorded and arranged and edited on computers by engineers and producers.

And some Electronic Acts live are awesome like Orbital and Jean Michel Jarre there are countless overs too....

Hell, you can plug you guitar into a audio interface and use software to make your guitar sound like its coming from a hundred amps it sounds pretty convincing.

Sorry I am really really nerdy when comes to music making.happy.gif

Edited by BW199148

My step mother wanted to take me to the Expo this year. >< I should of went, but Miku is amazing!

If you still haven't got a clue. A Syntheziser is an instrument most of them have keyboards, just because it isn't a Guitar or Piano doesn't make less of an instrutment.

Not all Synthesizers are Digital some are analogue!tongue.gif

Most of the Metal music you adore is recorded and arranged and edited on computers by engineers and producers.

And some Electronic Acts live are awesome like Orbital and Jean Michel Jarre there are countless overs too....

Hell, you can plug you guitar into a audio interface and use software to make your guitar sound like its coming from a hundred amps it sounds pretty convincing.

Sorry I am really really nerdy when comes to music making.happy.gif

Musicians "record" and edit the sound to make it sound cleaner. I have to say (after a talk with my guitarist.) it's a lot easier to pick up an instrument and learn. I've used synthesizers before (The Devil Wears Prada.)

Yes it is digitally edited, but when a band plays live, it shows that they can really play what was recorded on the album. Well, maybe I'm not laying this out right.

Techno is ok.

Modern POP is bad.

What I meant to say in my other posts is: I don't agree with computers acting as "instruments." I prefer the more natural sound of a guitar/ drums/ etc.

• Thumbs Up 2

What I meant to say in my other posts is: I don't agree with computers acting as "instruments." I prefer the more natural sound of a guitar/ drums/ etc.

Not everyone can play an actual guitar or a certain other insturment to save their life, and might not have much of the time to train themselves of the hand movements that go along with it. Sure they can learn, but it's a matter of whether they want to give themselves the time to do so and the resources that could enable them. And there comes plenty of other drawbacks with it such as maintaining care of the insturment physically and the stress it does to the body that it requires you to play with, such as your hand, or your lips and lungs.

So some opt for another alternative that lets them play guitar without actually playing the insturments. As an added bonus, they can play a lot of other insturments instead of just one. But they just have to overcome the drawbacks if they find it the better choice.

It's not like computers are going to replace everything, because not everyone can master the digital alternative compared to those who can't master the physical one.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Not everyone can play an actual guitar or a certain other insturment to save their life, and might not have much of the time to train themselves of the hand movements that go along with it. Sure they can learn, but it's a matter of whether they want to give themselves the time to do so and the resources that could enable them. And there comes plenty of other drawbacks with it such as maintaining care of the insturment physically and the stress it does to the body that it requires you to play with, such as your hand, or your lips and lungs.

So some opt for another alternative that lets them play guitar without actually playing the insturments. As an added bonus, they can play a lot of other insturments instead of just one. But they just have to overcome the drawbacks if they find it the better choice.

It's not like computers are going to replace everything, because not everyone can master the digital alternative compared to those who can't master the physical one.

Actually.. Its not even a struggle. It only takes an hour to cleanse the instrument, and it takes years to master the instrument. See, it's not about the achieving the goal, it's about gaining experience. With learning instruments, comes different styles. (Rock/ Metal/ Jazz) it's also very impressive. It's a much better experience, and a lot of people are looking for Drummers, Guitarists, Bassists, Vocalists.. You name it.

Oh yeah:

The Jimi Hendrix Experience > Vocaloid.

*edit*

O RLY?

*looks at modern music*

All digital and fixed with Auto Tune.

Edited by TheREVerend
  • Thumbs Up 3