Awoo.

Vocaloid

Sami

Actually.. Its not even a struggle. It only takes an hour to cleanse the instrument, and it takes years to master the instrument. See, it's not about the achieving the goal, it's about gaining experience. With learning instruments, comes different styles. (Rock/ Metal/ Jazz) it's also very impressive. It's a much better experience, and a lot of people are looking for Drummers, Guitarists, Bassists, Vocalists.. You name it.

You can't "disagree" about computers serving as instruments. It's a fact, whether you want to appreciate it or not.

Also, you don't seem to realize that nobody's bashing physical instruments. You don't need to act like we're insulting your manhood.

Oh yeah:

The Jimi Hendrix Experience > Vocaloid.

*Looks up The Jimi Hendrix Experience*

... Let's just say that's not my style. At all.

*edit*

O RLY?

*looks at modern music*

All digital and fixed with Auto Tune.

I have no idea what you're talking about, but it might be because I'm in awe at the fact that you still can't seem to understand this: VOCALOID HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH AUTOTUNE. It's like a voice made from scratch, not an edited one.

• Thumbs Up 5

With learning instruments, comes different styles. (Rock/ Metal/ Jazz)
Edited by Rigby
  • Thumbs Up 1

As does making music with computers.

Compare this song here:

with this one:

If those aren't different styles, I don't know what is.

EDIT: Someone's even made a heavy metal song with Vocaloid: http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

You know what... Never mind, stick with your computers and junk. I'm just giving you the easy way out. Vocaloid.. whatever.

Just saying..

I don't know how to lay it out for you guys. I've been playing music for more than 5 years, and all I can say is that it's a lot more exciting to play with the instrument.

*edit*

Edited by TheREVerend
  • Thumbs Up 2

You know what... Never mind, stick with your computers and junk. I'm just giving you the easy way out. Vocaloid.. whatever.

Edited by Dissident
  • Thumbs Up 4

I find it sad that anyone needs to act like electronic music and music made with physical instruments are exclusive. I do both. I love playing guitar, and I love arranging music digitally. I don't understand why anyone thinks they need to act elitist about being skilled at either one. They can each do things the other can't, and when they're blended right, they sound freaking amazing.

And I also don't see why you would bias yourself against any way of making music and act like the people who play that sort are inherently less skilled. I would say that someone who has a good grasp on both electronic and physical music and experiments with many different genres is a better musician than, say, someone who just knows how to play crazy metal stuff.

Edited by Heliumbunnette
  • Thumbs Up 4

What I meant to say in my other posts is: I don't agree with computers acting as "instruments." I prefer the more natural sound of a guitar/ drums/ etc.

What makes a computer-generated synth any less musical, any less meaningful, any less beautiful or any less wonderful than a "real" guitar or a drum? What occurs in the digital music creation process that prevents you from plugging a piano-style keyboard interface into a computer and use it to control the digital synth like you would a "real" piano? And what stops the more traditional styles of instrument and the computational power of modern synthesisers working together to create something truly new and unique?

The real, honest and truthful answer to these questions is thus: nothing. Absolutely nothing. To prove it, allow me to present to you a "real", playable, physical guitar with an integrated synth at its heart: (highlights include 3:28, 5:00, 5:51 and 6:09)

All of that taken into account, I'll ask another question: what makes a digital voice any different to that? Human work went into programming a synthesiser as brilliant and as intricate as Vocaloid, human work went into perfecting the individual voices so that they ended sounding as wonderful as they do, and human work went into using the tool to create songs that would have been left without words otherwise - couple that with the unique personalities and appearances that were assigned to each of the different voices in the series, and you have a singing instrument that is just as real as a guitar, a drum, or even a human voice; all that has changed is the source.

Additionally, the fact that Yamaha was able to construct a totally digital voice from scratch and allow it to sound great while being easy enough to use for musicians to pick it up and start writing awesome music with it instantly, without doing even so much uttering a syllable or singing a note themselves is a miraculous feat in itself - synth isn't soulless; the soul IS the synth. Vocaloid isn't a cheap way to make your own voice sound professional; it's a synthesised voice that your computer sings through - and as we've seen from the aforementioned Moog Guitar, there's nothing wrong with a controlling device using a synth to create, enhance and reinterpret its sound.

So, what's wrong with Vocaloid?

I'll reiterate my cumulative answer to all of the questions that I asked throughout the duration of this post, in case you hadn't already worked it out for yourself yet: absolutely nothing.

Edited by eXtaticus
  • Thumbs Up 6

Ah so you're saying that Vocaloid is like an "effects pedal"... (Synthesizer, Wah- Wah, Crunch.)

Why didn't you just say that in the first place?

I've messed around with those a lot, They sound cool when you're going for an Acid Blues solo. tongue.gif

Nothing different about that.. Effects have been around since the 1950's.

*edit*

I also messed with music making programs like: Guitar Pro.

I write my music and put in my laptop to play along with the guitar, and record the Drums.

I've messed with those a lot.... I was getting confused with the whole " Out of scratch" thing.

Edited by TheREVerend

I've messed with those a lot.... I was getting confused with the whole " Out of scratch" thing.

In this case, "from scratch" meant "from nothing" - you type the words, you type the notes, you play with effects, the computer sings it for you. Different versions of the software have different voices, too, so you're not stuck with just one. wink.gif

Only thing I've ever had experience with is the MarioPaint program. If I could just figure out how to use these things and know a little bit more about Chords and harmonization I could write make some good songs with such a program. I could make remixes by ear alone if I knew how to use it too.

Mutha Suckas up in here confused me with different information.

Yeah, that's exactly how it works in Guitar Pro 6. I write the guitar parts and I establish the sound (Depending on what sound I want: Metalcore to be exact.) Bam, I have my guitar part, and my guitarist can learn it.

Vocaloid = Guitar Pro 6. (Something alike.)

You could have used another example that wasn't so foreign to me.

Actually.. Its not even a struggle. It only takes an hour to cleanse the instrument, and it takes years to master the instrument.

Some people don't want to be bothered in cleansing an insturment, and they don't want to be limited to just one if they want to make a full song. And they don't want to be bothered with maintaining so many insturments when they can simply have the sound of all of them to work with.

Taking years to master a single insturment is precisely why some don't even want to bother, because they want do the same thing on computer and be able to work with as many as the want with less of the stress in learning the insturment as part of the experience. The only thing that takes them as long as mastering an instrument is making the insturment sound realistic or to whatever standards they're going for.

See, it's not about the achieving the goal, it's about gaining experience. With learning instruments, comes different styles. (Rock/ Metal/ Jazz) it's also very impressive. It's a much better experience, and a lot of people are looking for Drummers, Guitarists, Bassists, Vocalists.. You name it.

It's the same damn thing regarding digital insturments, especially if you want to make them of the same genre and style. It's not easy matching the sound and quality of the insturments, but even with digital insturments, there comes different styles be it the same way as real ones.

And just as a lot of people are looking for Drummers, Guitarist, Bassists, Vocalists, and such, a lot of people are looking for digital musicians.

O RLY?

*looks at modern music*

All digital and fixed with Auto Tune.

That doesn't make it any less musical, and not all modern music has Auto Tune because not all modern music is of the same genre.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

tron miku is best miku

tumblr_lfob1uRAox1qb3vq6o1_500.jpg

also

you now can not get that song out of your head.

Angel Miku disagrees.

pd2piaprocostumes1.jpg

Also, just found out about a really talented artist called NEGI, who posts a bunch of Vocaloid art on Pixiv.

*Edit*

Bah, Pixiv isn't letting me hotlink. Here's a pic of his I found on the Wikia.

NEGI_Avatar.png

*Edit of the edit*

He often collabs with another guy: Hiro Tamura. I'm really liking his style as well.

Edited by Dissident

I suppose that the most famous song featuring a Vocaloid has to be this:

But it's far from the best...

Hah, our band's ex-singer was based on Vocaloid. She was meant to be the "Anti-Vocaloid" because Miku's bubbly and nice, whilst Smoker was bitchy and self-centered. xD Before our ex-artist explained that, I actually didn't put two and two together...

224227_10150157553656404_108052136403_6744059_1649183_n.jpg

Edited by Aptiva

I think this is horrible. What happened to learning how to sing?

Well, all singers are stuck up and/or are impossible to work with. :V At least Vocaloid is as dedicated as the person using it.

Andrew Lee totes needs to be made into a Vocaloid of his own.

Or you can use a Vocaloid. If you want to get your music out there, it's a lot faster and easier than having to spend a long time learning how to sing.

And I doubt anyone's needed a Vocaloid more than Andrew Lee.