Awoo.

Biafra Republic

It's that time again for the annual spawning of the Mixtapes and Mixdiscs.

SSMB's Mixtape project is where members willing to share music swap music discs with another user at random. The only change from last year under Urth (aside from going back to 1 per person), is that Urth's Excel spreadsheet has been laid off and replaced with the Random.Org RNG.

THE RULES (which are both ancient and just):

1.) Send all necessary details via PM (for obvious reasons, you would need to be willing to give your mailing address to the other .

2.) Once your partner has been chosen, send your mailing address via PM. Keep in mind the person you are sending your disc to will most likely be different from the one you are receiving from.

3.) While I do not care whether or not little Tiffany Wotsherface gets your collection of Marilyn Manson and Slipknot tracks, keep in mind that this is a 'family oriented' message board, and parents might object to children getting explicit tracks via post.

4.) By tradition, Nickelback tracks are strictly prohibited.

5.) Sign up by leaving a comment (cursing and throwing of inanimate objects optional).

6.) 1 disc per person.

The deadline this year is going to be October 10th, 2011 (timing it with Columbus Day/Canadian Thanksgiving).

GET GOING!

SIGNUP IS CLOSED. Here are who you are sending to...

Signed up

1.) Dan Dyer -> eXacticus

2.) SHAX Hedgefox -> Biafra

3.) cdrom1019 -> SHAX Hedgefox

4.) eXacticus -> Dan Dyer

5.) Biafra -> cdrom1019

I Should be able to get involved with this and actually remember to do it this time. So yeah, Sign me up! :D

Yeah, if someone wants some music, I'm willing to fork out 25 dollars to send a CD to the UK/US.

I'm in. I'll try to get it done this year. For the record, I think it should be noted that just buying a CD really defeats the purpose of the swap for a few reasons. 1 being this IS the MIXTAPE project, as in it usually involves more than one artist. The second being making it yourself gives it that personal touch (no homo)

• 2 weeks later...

Quick reply to encourage people to sign up, so...

DO EET! DO EET NAOW!!!!!

I don't know about anyone else but having to pay to ship a CD possibly overseas and giving out my address are hardly attractive ideas. I've always wondered, why not do this digitally? I'd sign up in an instant then.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't know about anyone else but having to pay to ship a CD possibly overseas and giving out my address are hardly attractive ideas. I've always wondered, why not do this digitally? I'd sign up in an instant then.

You know what, This has occured to me before, but yeah, When we have stuff like Spotify and whatever else, Why don't we do it digitally? After all, i can do a better mixtape if i can actually, y'know, Mix mine on decks ;)

Hey, I'm just wondering... Do these have to be from famous artists, or can someone here on the SSMB put in there own music they made. I'm not really interested for myself, but an online friend (who's on this board) makes some of his own music, and I don't wanna be like "Hey! You should get in on this!" and have him not be able to put his own music on...

I'm in, so long as I only send my CD to someone in this country - I can't pay pointlessly massive shipping charges for overseas items.

So that's UK only!

Same, I would sign up right away if it were digital. I don't have any source of income apart from my parents, and they won't be interested in paying any more than a penny to send something to one of you guys.

Same, I would sign up right away if it were digital. I don't have any source of income apart from my parents, and they won't be interested in paying any more than a penny to send something to one of you guys.

While yes, it is a risk to ship anything overseas and to someone you don't know outside SSMB, the risks are even greater with sharing digital files over services in the form of file sharing complaints. Also, the few international music stores available are either a.) not available everywhere, and b.) have restriction regarding inter-territory sharing.

Plus, with CD media being dirt cheap and shipping one costing only a couple bucks (less than most subscriptions in the US), it's actually cheaper and easier to use CD media as opposed to digital

You know what, This has occured to me before, but yeah, When we have stuff like Spotify and whatever else, Why don't we do it digitally? After all, i can do a better mixtape if i can actually, y'know, Mix mine on decks wink.png

Spotify (an example of the scenario from the above posts) isn't available in all countries yet. Hell, Spotify Free is only available as an invite only service, and the wait on it stretches back several years... As for mixing your own mix, there's nothing stopping you, so long as you burn it to disc afterwards.

Hey, I'm just wondering... Do these have to be from famous artists, or can someone here on the SSMB put in there own music they made. I'm not really interested for myself, but an online friend (who's on this board) makes some of his own music, and I don't wanna be like "Hey! You should get in on this!" and have him not be able to put his own music on...

Nope. Quite the opposite. I received a disc of music from up and coming artists, oldies, and modern tracks. All you need to do is burn it to disc and mail it.

• 2 weeks later...

About why this isn't digital: the whole point of a mixtape is that it's personal compilation from one person to another, a gift of sorts (that works as an ad for your favourite artists, but still). It's so much more special to receive an actual physical item someone has laboured just for You in mail, rather than just getting a cold and soulless zip of mp3s someone chucked together. It spreads good music around, gets people interacting with eachother and leaves an actual impression instead of just getting a bunch of digital files. I know we're in a digital age now and I understand the logistics issues and insane paranoia about how every single person in SSMB is secretly a stalker killer out to hunt you down, but digital transfers are never going to feel as fun. Plus the hard space limit of a CD gives people the incentive to actually think about what they send instead of lazily throwing half their music collection to someone else.

If the pressure and demand really is so high, feel free to change it to digital stuff but as the guy who started this whole thing (not that it obliges you to do anything seeing as I'm more or less AWOL from here most of the time), I just think it kills the point of the whole thing. I've still got my mixtapes from the earliest years of this thing safe in my CD shelf, and while I'd be lying if I said I listen to them often I do think they're lovely memorabilia items that I'm glad to have around, rather than just some digital files I would have probably deleted ages ago.

Quite nice to see that you guys have still kept this little thing going as well smile.png.

Edited by Flint

About why this isn't digital: the whole point of a mixtape is that it's personal compilation from one person to another, a gift of sorts (that works as an ad for your favourite artists, but still). It's so much more special to receive an actual physical item someone has laboured just for You in mail, rather than just getting a cold and soulless zip of mp3s someone chucked together. It spreads good music around, gets people interacting with eachother and leaves an actual impression instead of just getting a bunch of digital files. I know we're in a digital age now and I understand the logistics issues and insane paranoia about how every single person in SSMB is secretly a stalker killer out to hunt you down, but digital transfers are never going to feel as fun. Plus the hard space limit of a CD gives people the incentive to actually think about what they send instead of lazily throwing half their music collection to someone else.

If the pressure and demand really is so high, feel free to change it to digital stuff but as the guy who started this whole thing (not that it obliges you to do anything seeing as I'm more or less AWOL from here most of the time), I just think it kills the point of the whole thing. I've still got my mixtapes from the earliest years of this thing safe in my CD shelf, and while I'd be lying if I said I listen to them often I do think they're lovely memorabilia items that I'm glad to have around, rather than just some digital files I would have probably deleted ages ago.

Quite nice to see that you guys have still kept this little thing going as well smile.png.

Thank you kindly, Flint.

Oh, For everyone's info: Signups are still open. There's a little under 4 weeks to go before they close on Canadian Thanksgiving / Columbus Day.

• 2 weeks later...