Awoo.

Can boost and spindash coexist in the same game?

Chaos Warp

What they could do is spit the spin dash in 2. They could make it so the boost ONLY makes you increase speed and if you smack into an enemy, you lose your rings, then they can change the slide to a roll instead so if you wanted to "spin dash" you would have to boost first then press the crouch button to roll.This gives you the spin dash, doesnt make the game "BOOST TO WINNN!!!" and makes the enemies more relevant, Kinda kills 3 birds with one stone... Which isnt very nice, dont kill birds *nods*. And if you think about it, it makes more sence(not that it should seeing as this IS a video game) Sonic will use his spikes to kill the enemies again instead of headbutting them at the speed of sound xD

What they could do is spit the spin dash in 2. They could make it so the boost ONLY makes you increase speed and if you smack into an enemy, you lose your rings, then they can change the slide to a roll instead so if you wanted to "spin dash" you would have to boost first then press the crouch button to roll.This gives you the spin dash, doesnt make the game "BOOST TO WINNN!!!" and makes the enemies more relevant, Kinda kills 3 birds with one stone... Which isnt very nice, dont kill birds *nods*. And if you think about it, it makes more sence(not that it should seeing as this IS a video game) Sonic will use his spikes to kill the enemies again instead of headbutting them at the speed of sound xD

So you want a Super Peelout?

I'm still voting for "run button". Hold a button to increase acceleration and top speed, lets you better manage your speed than going from "quick jog" to "I missed my exit 20 miles and 3 seconds back", doesn't automatically destroy everything in your way.

• Thumbs Up 1

Except you dont have to charge it...Doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. It seems to solve everyones problem with the boost so sure, I'm all for a super peelout.

I'm still voting for "run button". Hold a button to increase acceleration and top speed, lets you better manage your speed than going from "quick jog" to "I missed my exit 20 miles and 3 seconds back", doesn't automatically destroy everything in your way.

That could work, or if they add an unlimited sprinting option like the werehog had, minus destroying objects of course.

If it replaces the need of redundant dash pads, I am all for the spin dash coming back.

Pointless dash pads will always exist now, spindash, boost or nothing.

For all I rage against the HD boost, the Wii boost is even worse. Taking control away from the player is not a solution.

It is if you want to limit it's use. I say it's a solid option to give the spindash back some viability. It could sort of work like the boost from Sonic Rivals, or something along those lines, and would something meant to be used more sparingly than not. And hey, maybe pressing the X or square button while boosting could stop it?

Edited by Classic EXshad

I'd forgive the Boost in relation to the Spindash more if it didn't kill everything you run into, so at the very least you'd still have to break into a roll or a spindash to auto-kill things on the move. I honestly don't think much more than that will need to be done for them to work side-by-side without one rendering the other completely redundant - spinning kills things, boosting gives you instant momentum, do we really need more than that?

• Thumbs Up 2

Although i really like the boost I'm open to idea like the one dio had about a sprint button.Then that would give the spindash some spotlight. then they could give SS the boost. Or just azukara's idea.(although i like the stompsad.pngtongue.png )A lot of these ideas are great and really my ideas have already been said so yeah I'd be open to them replacing the boost.(or just nerf the boost and make it so it can't destroy enemies and add the spindash or homing attack for that. )

It is if you want to limit it's use.
If you're limiting its use by making it a shitty mechanic, why have it in the game at all?

Boosting into enemys and losing RINGS makes no sense at all.

Unless they're covered in spikes or discharging electricity.

• Thumbs Up 1

Running headfirst into an object of superior mass at high speed and expecting it to just bump aside without harming you makes even less sense.
  • Thumbs Up 3

edited.

It made sense for every single game in the series before Sonic Rush.

Game design comes before real-world logic. If real-world logic gets in the way of good gameplay, realism gets the axe.

• Thumbs Up 2

I was actually pondering this a couple days ago.

I would like to start off by saying that I am in no way fond of how boosting has made Sonic nigh invulnerable. Blowing through enemies effortlessly completely negates the fact that they're there to provide an obstacle and try and HURT you. I mean really, if you can just plow through them as if they weren't even there, then what's the point of them being there in the first place?

I will not accept, "but crush, sometimes certain ones are programmed to punch you" as a retort to defend this obviously overpowered state.

I would also like to mention that, as a hedgehog, Sonic seems to almost never spend time as a ball anymore. Sure he does a sort of rapid mid-air summersault when he jumps, but you never see him roll or spindash anymore. They replaced the drifting animation with a proper spindash-esque animation, and I appreciate this change a great deal. While I would like to see rolling appear just a bit more, this is a good sign in my opinion.

in order to make it a bit more balanced, I would like to see him actually take damage if he runs smack into an enemy while boosting. That's right, I said it. So how then shall we get past enemies in our way without breaking the pace? Why, by pressing a rolling button while boosting (or not boosting, either one), of course! It would introduce an element of nostalgia in a proper way without cramming nostalgia in the faces of the newer generations of players who may not want things like Classic Sonic (whoever the hell that may be) to be in their games. More importantly, it would certainly make Sonic more balanced and versatile in my opinion. Also, remember in the Genesis days when you would ball up on a slope or when entering a new area simply for your own protection just in case a badnik decided to jump in your way? It's the same principle.

Oh, and for a little added bonus, after snapping out of the "spindash drift" shoud they keep it, I would like to see a little boost. Signifying that it does more than just provide a visceral effect.

How do my fellow Sonic fans feel about this modification? I'm curious to see how it would be taken by others.

Edited by crush40rocks
  • Thumbs Up 2

This is how I've always wanted it to be. And if Sonic had C.Sonic's Spindash from Generations (with a bit of momentum physix applied), it wouldn't be all too jarring to make the change.

*gasp* We don't say the "P" word anymore! How da... oh, wait, you spelled it funny. Nevermind, we're safe. lol XD

When I saw this topic title I immediately thought of Rush and thought "No", but then I remembered Colours. The Pink Wisp was so good in that game an convinced me that not only does the spindash still have a place in the franchise but that it can be used alongside the boost. Now the boost in Colours was limited, not only because you had to defeat enemies and get powerups to use it,which made you use it sparingly, combined with the level design which meant you couldn't just spam the boost (not that you can spam boost in other games anyway, but less so in Colours). The Pink Wisp was great as I noticed it actually being affected by momentum and such. I wouldn't relegate the spindash to a powerup and I don't think I would give it the ability to climb walls which would make it overpowered but being able to charge up to get that momentum while having to conserve boost energy sounds like the right idea.

I also have an idea of having the spindash be all about momentum while the boost is unaffected by physics. That means that there will be situations where even if you can use the boost, you would rather use the spindash because that is faster, say for example when you're going uphill, boost is best but you have a limit to your top speed with the boost whereas is if you take advantage of the level design and use physics and momentum correctly with the spindash you can go a lot faster, like down a really big slope. Boost would be a quick burst of speed while spindashing is used to reach max speed.

I also like the idea of being damaged while boosting, making it a modern day, non-chargeable Super Peel Out. (Even though you can already get hurt by boosting, in Unleashed you didn't get hurt by running into the enemies normally, only when they attacked). I also agree with the idea of using Wii/PS2 Unleashed version of the boost as a way to stop spamming of the boost (not that you could effectively spam it anyway) and to limits it use as a quick speed-up tool rather than the best way to reach max speed.

• Thumbs Up 1

If it replaces the need of redundant dash pads, I am all for the spin dash coming back.

This. I don't mind pinball mechanics too much, but would prefer if they were less automated (e.g. having to actually bounce off walls instead of their being convenient springs, and using spindash or boost instead of having dash pads everywhere.)

• Thumbs Up 1

I dont mean just simply running into them. Sonic is accelerating at nearly top speed with lots of force AND releasing all that built up Ring Energy.

How does that change anything? You are basically saying that it doesn't make sense because it makes sense that it doesn't make sense.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 5

Why are we arguing whether or not the boost makes logical sense? Shouldn't we get back to throwing poison in each other's eyes on whether or not boosting or spindashing is better?

OK I HAVE A PLAN

1) take out slide

2) replace with roll

3) spindash when holding button while standing still, used for breaking objects unboostable and accessing hidden passageways and momentum

4) ????

5) profit!

• Thumbs Up 6