Awoo.

Do you like SEGA's spoilerific marketing?

Detective Shadzter

So, for every Sonic game in recent years, SEGA always gradually outs every level and most boss fights in the game in the lead up from announcement to release. It's just been done again for the latest game Sonic Generations. We often get things like this leaked one way or another, but officially, we still find out every level and most boss fights anyway.

I personally don't like that they do this, since the only effective way to avoid this information is to avoid the gaming websites, fansites and forums. I shouldn't have to do this, though, and as a writer for TSS, I can't very well avoid the info, as I have to report news like level revelations. I think we should at least have a few levels kept as a surprise for when we finally get our hands on a game.

What do you guys and gals think?

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't like it. I know I could technically ignore the trailers, but I'm weak laugh.png In general, I don't like the idea of showing the whole game. They should really think of keeping most of the levels a surprise.

• Thumbs Up 2

I can't say that I'm a fan of this either.

Theres virtually nothing left to suprise you anymore. I made a point to stay out of the Sonic Generations forum ever since the game was announced just because I wanted to avoid being spoilt and because I wanted as fresh an experience as possible.

I've done this with tons of games in the past GTA 4, Dark Souls (despite all the info thats come out, I know very little about the game), even past Sonic titles. But with this one it was futile to do so, I was so enraged when people would post spoilers from the demo asset in the status box, then Sega started to do their level trailers, it was totally impossible from this moment on to avoid it, it's not just Sonic sites that this stuff appears on either, so don't give me that crap about 'oh take time off from Sonic sites.'

Even if you don't watch the trailers, all you have to do is accidentally look at the wrong place on a mainstream news site and you get this message "New sonic trailer shows us Sky Sancturary, Chemical Plant, Metal Sonic & Shadow!"

Some people like finding out every detail about the game, well thats lovely, thats why we have spoiler topics and why others have the choice not to go in there. But the constant barrage of trailers from Sega showing off entire levels, boss fights and music, what exactly is there thats left to suprise us anymore?

Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 3

I completely agree. It's much easier to avoid spoilers when they're simply leaked from a demo and only spread through forums. That's the way it should be. Fans shouldn't have to deny themselves the internet to avoid knowing every stage of the game. Plus not knowing what's gonna happen next is a part of the fun of playing games

• Thumbs Up 3

I've already spoiled myself from looking at the leaks and level list but I stopped myself from watching the Dreamcast and Modern era trailers. I want to still be suprise by the stage when I'm playing it for the first time.

I also like the element of surprise, that's why I'd like SEGA to keep some of the levels(as well as bosses, rivals, etc) a secret.

Edited by Mark1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I've never found it an issue, as far as games go. Now, for actual videos of someone playing a level, I can see where that might detract from the fun of finding your own way, but just a trailer or a few screenshots of a level? Especially given that it's typically compressed down to a few inches rectangular, there's a LOT more to see on the actual TV than in the trailer clip. For an actual puzzle-based game, seeing someone solving the puzzles could definitely detract from enjoyment of working them out yourself, but Sonic is rarely if ever truly puzzle based, outside of a few obvious switches where you have to find the matching key.

For movies and books, there I prefer to avoid spoilers, because I want to experience the story myself, but I never get much 'experience' of a game from watching someone else play it. Sonic games simply aren't story-based enough for that aspect to bother me.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really don't like spoilers myself but...

....Its....so.....hard......to......resist.....!

D:

• Thumbs Up 8

I completely agree. It's much easier to avoid spoilers when they're simply leaked from a demo and only spread through forums. That's the way it should be. Fans shouldn't have to deny themselves the internet to avoid knowing every stage of the game. Plus not knowing what's gonna happen next is a part of the fun of playing games

Agree with this. It's annoying when a company reveals these things and they spread all over the internet

It's scientifically proven that if you know what you're getting, you'll enjoy it more.

SEGA is just making you like the game even more!

• Thumbs Up 2

If anything, all of these level spoilers make it more exciting and interesting for me personally XD!

I've had a taste of how epic Sky Sanctuary is. I've had a taste of how goddamn gorgeous Planet Wisp is. I've also had a taste of how undeniably cool City Escape is too and these showings just expotentionally increase my desire for the game.

I've heard Door Into Summer in Sonic's house. That makes me seriously curious as to whether or not they'll be remixing even more awesome yet obscure music from other lesser-known Sonic titles.

I've seen Classic's silent badassery when it came to pwning Metal Sonic. I seriously want to see what else that little cutie will pull-off. I'm also seriously curious as to how he will get across his feelings and opinions through Classic Tails considering SEGA had to keel over to cater to warped interpretations but even then, the concept of a silent Classic Sonic is nonetheless fascinating even if the reason behind that silence in the first place rubs me the wrong way.

Ehh, can't say that I like it, but Sega have to promote their games like hell otherwise people aren't really going to care, I do that element of surprise though.

But to be honest I get more excited for seeing the stories unfold rather than what stages am I going to play.

Anyone who looked at the leaked level list had the potential surprise ruined for them anyways. Still, for those who were strong enough to steer clear of spoilers, it'd probably be best if Sega kept a few things hidden. At the same time, there's a lot of content in the game that has only been briefly mentioned on rather than being shown, so I still think the game will have a lot to offer for those who have watched all the trailers.

I don't mind it really I like to know what kind of levels would be in the game. I like getting little snippets of levels that they show us they're not major spoilers like the leaks IMO. But I see why people would rather refrain from seeing them since they want to be surprised during their own play through of the game.

Yes/No.

In the case of Sonic Generations, a game designed to bank on Nostalgia, it's the perfect marketing. Previous games? Not so much, if you're introducing completely new content then it's best to trickle limited information, show case the early levels sure. But later stages? Naw, keep 'em secret honestly.

I've never found it an issue, as far as games go. Now, for actual videos of someone playing a level, I can see where that might detract from the fun of finding your own way, but just a trailer or a few screenshots of a level? Especially given that it's typically compressed down to a few inches rectangular, there's a LOT more to see on the actual TV than in the trailer clip. For an actual puzzle-based game, seeing someone solving the puzzles could definitely detract from enjoyment of working them out yourself, but Sonic is rarely if ever truly puzzle based, outside of a few obvious switches where you have to find the matching key.

This right here. All the trailers in the world can't give you the full experience of actually playing the game and experiencing all the little quirks and things.

Personally for me and Sonic games, I have to know as much as I can before I go in. Otherwise I'll have all sorts of expectations and hopes built up, and to say that I don't handle disappointment well while playing a game is a gross understatement.

TBH no. Although in this case, the dipshit hackers at retro revealed everything for us, so it didn't really matter this time.

TBH no. Although in this case, the dipshit hackers at retro revealed everything for us, so it didn't really matter this time.

But it did...

Like I said and was so angry about, keep that confined to the topics in question and you can avoid finding out about it, like I did for Unleashed and all the other Sonic games I avoided.

Release a trailer showing off everything in the game and you can't avoid it.

But it did...

Like I said and was so angry about, keep that confined to the topics in question and you can avoid finding out about it, like I did for Unleashed and all the other Sonic games I avoided.

Release a trailer showing off everything in the game and you can't avoid it.

I don't mind level spoiling so much, it's videos like that one that that german review site put up that grind my shit. I didn't watch it because of the major spoilers.

It was a really novel way to market Unleashed considering one of the themes of the game was world travel, and the consistent feed of trailers, artwork, blogs, and new places to unveil got people really indulged and subsequently excited about the game, despite essentially being spoiled on every level there was sans the finale. There was no real point to it in Colors from a thematic angle, and Generations was the game where they should have stopped it completely and certainly attempted to prevent leaks by releasing a clean, standalone demo. It's a marketing gimmick that's lost its impact over time, or at least has proven not to be appropriate for every single situation.

It doesn't bother me as much with this game since these stages already previously existed. It's no real surprise, even if it is all too gorgeous to look at and admire. Besides, it's not showing too much of anything regarding level design, nor is it showing anything about the story. So I am fine with it.

It would be a problem if this was an all-new game, with all new levels. It worked for Unleashed (being about world travel) and it works for this (because the levels already existed), but I don't think it should be used for any other games past these.

Edited by Azukara

True, they're all levels we've seen before, but the real surprise was in seeingwhich levels would be remade, and a recurring conversation on here was which ones you were hoping for and what your dream list would be. Without that element of surprise to talk about, the main facet of the marketing has lost all of its impact. This is why the City Escape reveals elicited the most response from so many people. Even though it was a natural choice, we ultimately didn't know.

It was still a surprise to me to see just how much they changed and improved the stages since their original appearances, even if I already know what the levels are. =P

After all the leaks SEGA has experience in the past few years with Sonic games, I think they just decided to run with it.

Anyway, I don't really care. They should at the very least have 3 stages set up for marketing purposes prior to launch. Just having "XYZ Zone Act 1" being shown for 6-8 months is a waste of time and fucking annoying.

Also, I reckon Sonic Team are showing so much stuff because they need to convince the general gaming public that the whole game is good, not just the first stage. Unfortunately its going to take a few more games AFTER Generations for the pre-emptive "Its gonna suck LAWL".

Edited by Scar