Awoo.

Do you like SEGA's spoilerific marketing?

Detective Shadzter

Lol, need I even post. 8C

I avoided Colours' trailers towards the end and was delightfully surprised by Aquarium Park and Asteroid Coaster as a result. Would have done the same with Generations but since the leaks had already been spoilt all over the shop even if you weren't following them, I watched the trailers anyway this time. But yeah they should really stop.

In a sense the 3DS version is actually exciting me just slightly more because I don't know almost everything about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't like it. I mean sure, it's okay to reveal a few stages to get the fans' blood pumping and get everyone on the hype train. But reveal everything....well just about everything before launch is crap. I understand why they might have done it with Generations. I mean so much crap was leaked in the demo in june. But not Unleashed and a few other games. I really hope sega does not continue to do this in the future. It kills the surprise of when you get to play it. And it sucks for people like Shadzter who has to report all sonic news since that's his job. Shadzter I feel bad that you had to find out about Sonic Generations (console). At least you can still be surprised with the 3DS version.s

• Thumbs Up 2

At least you can still be surprised with the 3DS version.s

• Thumbs Up 1

It's really hard to say. One one hand, I like to know what I'm getting into, but on the other hand I really like to be surprised.

So I can't say that I actually like how Sega spoiled all the levels for Generation, but it's a safe way to know what I'm potentially getting into. And add to this the idea that they may be doing this to avert how they came off with the last anniversary game...maybe.

But next time, I would like for them to keep a lot of these things in the dark while giving us enough to get by. Maybe that's what they've already done and I'm exaggerating, but a lot of Colors' was helped by the fact that we did not know very much other than the details they gave out. So...yeah.

Can they really help it? :P Leave us lot without any reveals for 3 weeks and we go nuts. Can you imagine what this place would be like if we still had NO idea about the other levels other than Green Hill?Half of us would have killed each other in debates about it by now.

SEGA need to keep feeding us big bits of info or else we'll die. We are one impatient fanbase.

• Thumbs Up 1

I gotta agree with Envy. There were moments where it was like "WE NEED MORE BECAUSE SEGA IS NEGLECTING US >: (" and I'm all like "but we just got a trailer like four seconds ago". People were constantly craving more information and trailers and screenshots, but then when its out people go back on that and complain that SEGA is spoiling it all for them haha.

It hasn't made one bit of sense to me this entire time. Personally I like it, I am pumped to be able to play the game. In a game that doesn't really have a deep or meaningful story by any means (Sonic games never really have imo) there really isn't anything I consider to be a 'spoiler' anymore. Yeah I like a little bit of an element of surprise but I'd rather go in knowing that I think the entire game looks wicked rather than just knowing I might like the first level tongue.png. If it was a different franchise that was more story heavy (or actually had stories I really cared about) I'd have a different opinion on the matter.

Edited by Punk

Like I said earlier, I reckon they reveal as much as they can to get as much good publicity as possible. If the world can see that the whole game is good, not just the first level, then it would help Sonic (even if only on a subconscious level) gain a little more respect.

We may not like it, but we're Sonic fans. We already have an emotional investment in the series. What advertising all the stages does, is give people a reason to trust SEGA and Sonic Team and believe that they have put out a quality product.

• Thumbs Up 1

Can they really help it? :P Leave us lot without any reveals for 3 weeks and we go nuts. Can you imagine what this place would be like if we still had NO idea about the other levels other than Green Hill?Half of us would have killed each other in debates about it by now.

SEGA need to keep feeding us big bits of info or else we'll die. We are one impatient fanbase.

It's scientifically proven that if you know what you're getting, you'll enjoy it more.

SEGA is just making you like the game even more!

To be honest, I'm only going to feel really spoilt if we get to see playthroughs of every level, which is pretty doubtful.

When I was little, I would get a real kick out of playing a new 16-bit Sonic game without foreknowledge of the stages to come.

So, no, I personally don't appreciate having games spoiled for me; be it by inconsiderate previewers, e-morons who spoil stuff for shits 'n giggles, or anyone else. However, in Sonic's case, these days it's very hard to tell if his latest game(s) will be worth playing unless you do spoil yourself to a degree. I'm not the kind of person who just swallows anything Sega shits out, haven't been for years now, so I kinda need to get myself a little wet. I therefore sort of appreciate Sega going out of its way to do that for me. Now it just needs to get its very latest demo build out and about (and on XBL/PSN!!).

P.S. Wrong topic, I know, but the who 'pinball stage DLC' thing is a load of shite. Why not proper stages?

Since its the big 20th game, i would have personally thought they'd tease us a little, do a few game trailers, and leave about 4 levels for us to find out about. But nah, their so happy with what they've done, they can't help but show stuff early. Can't say i blame them, if i were on the team, i'd want to show every level off in a awesome trailer too.

This might be stupid but...what if the demo was "incomplete" and was missing a few stages on purpose by Sega? I haven't looked at the list of stages leaked, but somehow, I keep thinking that Sega has kept a stage or two in the dark, resulting in having absoltuely no data of it in the demo (therefore, couldn't have been leaked). Though, this is probably me just being Naive and/or in denial...

Also, To my knowledge, we haven't had a Final-like stage like confirmed/leaked like say, Eggmanland, Final-Egg or DeathEgg have we? (If it was, please DON'T tell me what it is...>.<)

Finally, no. I do NOT like having the entire game revealed before playing it (Brawl had this same problem, but it wasn't too bad, because finding out that Sonic was confirmed on the dojo-website made my whole freaking year). I also highly dislike reluctantly looking at TSS's Frontpage, hoping I don't spot an article on the lines of say, "Sky Sancuary and Chemical Plant gameplay shown in Trailer!" or something like that. I mean, I know it qualifies as "news" but...can't ya put something like "Level Spoilers" first? -.-

Every level on the leaked list has been revealed by Sega via trailers. Of course it's possible there is a final level that went undetected, but as far as extra areas in the different eras go, the chances of that being true at this point are slim to none.

Eh, it doesn't really matter to me. It's one thing seeing something in action and another thing playing it.

Besides, I really don't mind if (almost) everything in Generations is unveiled, because (almost) all of it of it is from past games.

You can't really blame Sega.

When they made their Shadow TH and '06 trailers, it was mostly from a CG or cutscene/ story esque angle. After those games, people couldn't trust Sega anymore because they thought that Sega was lying to people by showing some pretty CG and not being transparent with how the game would actually play.

Now, ever since Unleashed, Sega's trying to win that trust back by being as transparent as possible with their Sonic game trailers, showing what the gamers really wanna see to know that their not being lied to or whatever.

Personally, I liked the old way of doing things back when the sonic game stories were moar srs business and they showed off cutscenes in trailers and went the story angle with them, but this works too. Gamers don't care about the story, they wanna see the gameplay. Still though, they don't need to show off every single level, but still.

Edited by Inferno

I hate it, because it's one thing if stuff gets leaked, but if the company itself is spoiling their own product, that's pretty stupid. And it puts me in positions like this:

"Okay, I'm not going to look at any spoilers at all. Especially for levels that haven't been revealed yet."

(Sega throws the new content at us)

"What? More trailers? C'mon Sega, stop it! I'm not looking this time...................sigh." *watches it*

When stuff gets leaked, I try to avoid it, but when Sega themselves are revealing every single little detail, it's very hard to ignore. Mario doesn't really have this problem since his recent games have like 50-something unique locations, but for a game with 9 main areas (or in Sonic 4's case, 4) they should be keeping details sparse. The only thing they don't seem to reveal officially are the very last boss and stages, but at this point I wouldn't even be surprised if they did.

I think it is okay if some of the levels get leaked. However, I still like a surprise. The one thing I totally disagree on is revealing most of the bosses. At least keep those a secret.

• Thumbs Up 2

Personally, I liked the old way of doing things back when the sonic game stories were moar srs business and they showed off cutscenes in trailers and went the story angle with them, but this works too. Gamers don't care about the story, they wanna see the gameplay. Still though, they don't need to show off every single level, but still.

• Thumbs Up 1

So they've now shown all of the bosses and rivals except for Time Eater, who they still teased at the end.

I'm REALLY annoyed with SEGA's spoilerific marketing now. I'm still hyped, but there's really no need for them to show every stage and 90% of the bosses and rivals.

• Thumbs Up 4

So they've now shown all of the bosses and rivals except for Time Eater, who they still teased at the end.

I'm REALLY annoyed with SEGA's spoilerific marketing now. I'm still hyped, but there's really no need for them to show every stage and 90% of the bosses and rivals.

• Thumbs Up 6

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know anything about upcoming games and I find it really easy to avoid spoilers because I just don't go into the Sonic sections of the board. I don't visit the main site anyway, and I don't talk to many people outside of the board so that's not an issue either.

It really bugs me when people put stuff in their sigs/avatars before a release or very soon after because I can't avoid those, and no I won't turn them off because I remember people by them because names change quite often. I think it's mean because not everyone gets to play a game straight away/finish it as quickly. Give it a month at least! I try to do that myself anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

It really bugs me when people put stuff in their sigs/avatars before a release or very soon after because I can't avoid those, and no I won't turn them off because I remember people by them because names change quite often. I think it's mean because not everyone gets to play a game straight away/finish it as quickly. Give it a month at least! I try to do that myself anyway.

snapback.pngENVY, on 06 October 2011 - 12:11 PM, said:

Can they really help it? tongue.png Leave us lot without any reveals for 3 weeks and we go nuts. Can you imagine what this place would be like if we still had NO idea about the other levels other than Green Hill?Half of us would have killed each other in debates about it by now.

Agreed. If SEGA kept everything tight lipped about everything at this point we would be severally distrustful to SEGA and even wondering if this game was worth an investment at all. SEGA needs to show not only us rabid fans but former fans/haters and reviewers that maybe this game won't be a total piece of shit like they already conjured up in their heads and if it means spoiling the levels and bosses, so be it. remember here SEGA is trying to win people back and trying to get rid of the back wards retard thinking that sonic is still stuck in his 2006 & warehog rut.

Its not going to stop you guys from buying the game, playing the shit out of it, and enjoying every second of it and you'll forget this topic even exists come time for generations' release. Just have self control keep yourself blacked out if you see a screencap or 2 on a blog or news site it isn't going to ruin things either just scroll alittle slower and if you see a sonic related header coming up just scroll right past it as fast as you can scroll tongue.png.

As for the displays and sigs containing spoilers I'd have to side with Mollfie here. you guys can spoil people who are trying to keep themselves blacked out and it isn't as easily avoidable as avoiding a blog or site post it doesn't stop you from posting whatever you want but you should be more considerate. Blue Blood is a good example of still supporting Generations without blowing something from a recent trailer.

Edited by goku262002