Awoo.

Could SEGA Surprise Us?

Legendary Emerald

The more I think about it, the more I realize just how unfitting it is for Sonic Generations to lack a true "Final Zone". Sure, Planet Wisp might end up being the last level we unlock, but does that environment feel climactic to you? I suppose SEGA could try to get around that by making it so a boss fight is the last thing you encounter before taking on the Time Eater himself, but that still seems like a cop-out to me.

Consider Unleashed. You got keys, activated temples, and fought bosses in every continent. All pretty locations, but none that filled you with a sense of urgency. And then you got to Eggmanland, and you just knew the you'd reached the final battlefield. It'll be a pretty big missed opportunity for Generations if it lacks a climactic final zone to race through, and just sets you down in front of the Time Eater with seven rings[/] emeralds in hand.

If SEGA has decided to go the full mile and provide us with a "Final Zone", I expect it to be either completely original, or based on an existing Final Zone from a past Sonic game. And I would be a VERY happy camper.

All that said, chances are extremely low. No data was found for any such location in any of the demos and websites dissected. However, if SEGA really wanted to, I'm sure they would be able to keep such a zone a complete secret by never having any screenshots of it on any of their media servers or included in any demo data. Slim chance, I know. But possible.

I'm not exactly holding my breath here, but, well... what do you think of the idea?

Well there was the ??? and the "Genesis" symbols on the dissected demo, I doubt Sega would leave Planet Wisp as the final level, because it clearly lacks the feel and atmosphere a final level is supposed to have.

Demo says the final boss is

Time Eater

, and as with others, I expect it'll have its own boss stage.

Well, there's been a lot of talk about an "Egg Planet" in rumors of the game's plot. Apparently Time Eater's reason to going back in time is to gather the best of Eggman's creations to enact his ultimate plan. Originally, I thought this to be a silly rumor and nothing more, until Eggman's Japanese voice-actor mentioned Egg Planet during Jun Senoue's performance of Emerald Coast at TGS2011. Guess it's not just a rumor... So that COULD be where the final zone takes place, if there is one. That, or the final boss battle against Time Eater could be one-part boss, one-part level, sorta like Dark Gaia. So we'll see what happens. Personally I'd love to see a final level, perhaps a massive, distopian, mechanical city with references towards numerous past final levels in the franchise's history. That'd be cool

tongue.png

Edited by EXshad
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'm sure there's some kind of extra stage after Planet Wisp, just like Eggmanland and Terminal Velocity.

I hope it's this Planet Egg business that we heard about.

Edited by ENVY

Well there was the ??? and the "Genesis" symbols on the dissected demo, I doubt Sega would leave Planet Wisp as the final level, because it clearly lacks the feel and atmosphere a final level is supposed to have.

??? could be used for the Final Stage (but I doubt it considering all the data extracted from the demo), while Genesis means the Genesis emulator (which is listed as MegaDrive in the Japanese/European texts).

Demo says the final boss is

Time Eater

, and as with others, I expect it'll have its own boss stage.

Well yes, but boss stages don't count when all you can do in them is fight a boss. :P

Actually, "Sonic and the Black Knight" was kind of cool in that after beating the Dark Knight, you were able to return to the track you fought him on do optional missions that involved dodging obstacles, collecting rings, and killing enemies. However, no other game has taken thought route, so I don't expect Generations to.

I don't see any reason to believe we'll see anything much beyond what we already know.

• Thumbs Up 5

Death Egg, bro.

It may be listed as a boss, but there is still the potential for expanding it. I really hope that Time Eater is executed well, my hopes for it would be along the lines of '06's End of the World, only with 100% less insta-death orbs.

And Planet Egg? Bitch please.

Well, if I recall correctly the previous two games got no publicity on their final stages(Terminal Velocity for Colours and Eggmanland for Unleashed... even though the former hardly counts as a stage).

I expect something interesting at least to happen, if not, Planet Wisp is a pretty good characteristic of the series theme(nature:technology) to end it all on.

Unless wisp gives us that final stage feeling, I expect Sega to hit with one. Hopefully as hard as eggmanland.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm fully expecting a final area or level, probably some dimensional-based weirdness a la End of the World, before the Time Eater.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the surprising part is the greatest selling point of this game. I really didn't expect all the great references and content. Hearing about other tunes being played in missions is getting me pumped as well. Hopefully they're remxes

If there is a Final Level, I hope that it's like Eggmanland in difficulty, atmosphere and style except not riddled with unfair death pits. Style as in you play as both Sonics switching between the different parts of the level.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well yes, but boss stages don't count when all you can do in them is fight a boss. tongue.png

Actually, "Sonic and the Black Knight" was kind of cool in that after beating the Dark Knight, you were able to return to the track you fought him on do optional missions that involved dodging obstacles, collecting rings, and killing enemies. However, no other game has taken thought route, so I don't expect Generations to.

Yeah, but there was nothing in the leaked stuff that suggested we'll get anything more than a boss stage after Planet Wisp. It'll probably just be a long drawn-out thing like recent boss battles to make it more climatic.

• Thumbs Up 1

I dunno, we haven't seen anything that would indicate a special final level, unless the Death Egg acts as both a mini-stage and a boss. Though in the little bit we got to see of it, Planet Wisp doesn't seem much changed to be more final level-y. So I'd say it's either just the death egg or something made by the Time Eater that mixes all the stages. Sort of like '06's final stage, but good.

I wouldn't be surprised if Time Eater is a mixture of level and Final Boss, like Dark Gaia in Unleashed. You have those running segments entwined between all the actual "final-bossing".

• Thumbs Up 1

Have any of you ever stopped to realize that this "Egg Planet" thing is being completely over exaggerated upon?

Think about it. We just heard Eggman's Japanese VA say that right after the Tropical Resort piece was played during the Tokyo Game Show "Sonic 20th Anniversary Special LIVE" event.

He said "Eggu Puraneto Paruku". "Egg Planet Park".

The Japanese name to "Doctor Eggman's Incredible Interstellar Amusement Park" is "EGG PLANET PARK".

Sonic Colours Cutscene 1 - Japanese Dub

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNmPyGh0MbQ

Sonic 20th Anniversary Special LIVE - Tropical Resort/Emerald Coast

Seriously, did ANY of you stop and think that for a moment? Jesus, no one does their research.

• Thumbs Up 6

Death Egg, bro.

It may be listed as a boss, but there is still the potential for expanding it. I really hope that Time Eater is executed well, my hopes for it would be along the lines of '06's End of the World, only with 100% less insta-death orbs.

And Planet Egg? Bitch please.

Seriously, did ANY of you stop and think that for a moment? Jesus, no one does their research.
  • Thumbs Up 1

To be fair, this is something I wouldn't even think to check. I don't usually play games in a language I don't understand, so I wouldn't likely realize there was a different name for it.

But, good job debunking that theory.

Seriously? It's the Japanese name for Eggman's Interstellar Park...? Nothing more? It's not related to Sonic Generations after all?

.....thank God, Egg Planet sounded stupid as all hell. Especially when there's already an Egg Planet called the DEATH EGG in the game.

But yeah, I want a really big, grand boss battle. Yeah, the simple Egg Nega Wisp, in it's simple 1-part, non Super Sonic glory was a refreshing change of pace, but this is the fucking 20th anniversary final boss. They better pull ALL the stops.

Edited by EXshad