Awoo.

Is the tone of Colors really that bad?

Kuzu

Overgeneralizing much?

Well seeing how the author himself said that everything up until the current point of the comics was all about building up, and the knocking down Sonic & Sally, what am I supposed to think.

One must wonder why the writers for Sonic Games do not take examples from other cartoony games/shows and make it more Sonicy instead of flinging out plots that tend to be nothing but extremes in seriousness and edginess or overly light hearted and not very funny?

ST that's why.

Well seeing how the author himself said that everything up until the current point of the comics was all about building up, and the knocking down Sonic & Sally, what am I supposed to think.

Fair enough. Though I honestly think its because of the "milestone" 225 issue. Im pretty sure when status quo is back (and judging by Sally's ultimate fate), the "furry love story" aspect will most likely be downplayed or nonexistent.

But now? Yeah, I guess I can't fault you.

Fair enough. Though I honestly think its because of the "milestone" 225 issue. Im pretty sure when status quo is back (and judging by Sally's ultimate fate), the "furry love story" aspect will most likely be downplayed or nonexistent.

But now? Yeah, I guess I can't fault you.

Good god I hope so.

I'm talking about tone dude, not the plot itself, I know Colors` plot was.....iffy at best, I'm talking about the overall sillier, wacky tone present.

Could you explain a bit more what do you mean here?^^ I'm not sure if I get it. I think Colors' tone was TOO lighthearted with stupid kindergarten jokes. And combining the lame humor and tedious plot I named it one of the worst Sonic games in my previous post. Am I getting it right now?^^

Could you explain a bit more what do you mean here?^^ I'm not sure if I get it. I think Colors' tone was TOO lighthearted with stupid kindergarten jokes. And combining the lame humor and tedious plot I named it one of the worst Sonic games in my previous post. Am I getting it right now?^^

Ehh more or less, I mean you can't really judge it on its plot because it doesn't really have one to begin with, one of the worst games in the franchise? Really? I mean its bad, but it shouldn't be condemned based solely on its sense of humor(Which I admit could be better, at least in regards to Sonic's, Eggman was fucking gold).

Edited by Shadic93
  • Thumbs Up 4

I don't think Colors is bad at alll, it just loses focus somewhat, but the main plot threads of harvesting energy and Sonic unchaining the planets and whatnot. Not to mention the earlier plot point of the robot arm smashing into the generator DID actually have a point near the end.

The problem was that there was wasted potential and it all in general feels unepic.

But bad? I honestly don't think so.

Ehh more or less, I mean you can't really judge it on its plot because it doesn't really have one to begin with, one of the worst games in the franchise? Really? I mean its bad, but it shouldn't be condemned based solely on its sense of humor(Which I admit could be better, at least in regards to Sonic's, Eggman was fucking gold).

Yes, Eggman's jokes and dialogue in the game is pure genius. I seriously think most of the effort went into his lines cause he has the best lines in the game.

I wouldn't just brush the jokes off like that, while some were cringe worthy, many of them also were quite funny.

"How about we make like Eggman's Hairline and recede?"

"Oh, really? Well good job on building a translator that helped us talk to the aliens, so we weren't running around the park looking like idiots. Oh, wait! That was me."

"Please don't lick the rides, people have been sitting on them, with their BUTTS!..."

"Critical System Failure, Critical System Failure, all passengers evacuate, the park is in need of severe reconstruction. This is all your fault."

"Well, Sonic. I've seen you doing a lot of things, but never talking to a pile of junk."

(I probably got some of those wrong, as I did them from memory.) Even though these jokes might not be that great to you, I actually liked a few of these scenes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, Eggman's jokes and dialogue in the game is pure genius. I seriously think most of the effort went into his lines cause he has the best lines in the game.

Which really makes me scratch my head on why they dropped the ball on Sonic? I guess humor with Sonic only works when he's being sarcastic and witty rather than trying to tell a joke, let's be honest who chuckled at: "Let's you and me make like Eggman's hairline and recede"?

Which really makes me scratch my head on why they dropped the ball on Sonic? I guess humor with Sonic only works when he's being sarcastic and witty rather than trying to tell a joke, let's be honest who chuckled at: "Let's you and me make like Eggman's hairline and recede"?

*raises hand

I liked the overall new writing style for Colors. Not all the jokes were comedy gold, but there wasn't any moment when I cringed in disgust like I did for several other Sonic games. I especially like how they gave Sonic more personality, making him a bit more of a showoff, though I admit sometimes it was a bit much.

The only thing I didn't like was that most of the cutscenes were just Sonic and Tails, or Eggman and the robots, just standing around spewing jokes. In the future I wouldn't mind the new writing staff trying to make the plot a little deeper. It should never reach the dark and melodramatic levels of 06 or Shadow the Hedgehog, but I'm not against a more interesting story.

Hey guys. You missed the BFRE.

Best. Forum. Replying. EVER.

Next stop, the Sonic Stadium. Enjoying our Sonic fanbase is the perfect way to celebrate your next birthday. Or to avoid reaching it. Please don't be concerned by any screaming fanboys. The screams are how they communicate. Really. I promise. Please refrain from throwing coins, trash, or small children into the forums. Thank you.

No copyright law in the universe can stop me! I know I say this every time but really, nothing will stop me! Yeah, I'm stretching. You got a problem with that? I want to be able to fully enjoy talking to you without a pulled muscle slowing me down.

Y'all Want Fries with that? Please don't lick the post.

So what's the verdict? It's cheesiness knows no bounds. That's the best thing I've wrote all day! I know, I've already written it down. Hasta la bye-bye, suckers!

Ouch! I think I gloated so hard I pulled a muscle!

mini-happy-cheese-pillow-5.jpg

It burns!! So much cheddar.

Next stop, the Sega Forums. Enjoying our Sonic fanbase is the perfect way to celebrate your next birthday. Or to avoid reaching it. Please don't be concerned by any screaming fanboys. The screams are how they communicate. Really. I promise. Please refrain from throwing coins, trash, or more small children into the forums. Thank you.

*dancing troll faec gif*

I don't think I like Colors' tone as the direction for the rest of the series' plots (I'd prefer something more along the lines of Unleashed for the entire series), but as a one-off thing it serves its purpose well and is a refreshing change of pace. Besides, I lurv the writing and characterization. HATAHS GONNA HATE.

\The only thing I didn't like was that most of the cutscenes were just Sonic and Tails, or Eggman and the robots, just standing around spewing jokes. In the future I wouldn't mind the new writing staff trying to make the plot a little deeper. It should never reach the dark and melodramatic levels of 06 or Shadow the Hedgehog, but I'm not against a more interesting story.

ITs not really about depth or not, its the fact that the plot is barely referenced throughout the game, I mean we're introduced to the plot then the game completely forgets about it(In favor focusing on the humor) until the ending, that's shitty storytelling whether a story has depth or not.

I hope the plot in Generations doesn't completely lose itself among the humor or whatever the writers decide to focus on, and actually attempts to bridge the plot along.

That was Sonic's best joke, really. *Raises hand*

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, I don't want to say Colors is a bad game. It's bad in terms of plot execution, humor and whatnot. The graphics and music is great, especially graphics. I'm not too fond of Unleashed gameplay and I don't like the very idea of having 2D parts in a main 3D Sonic game at all, so I won't say anything about it. But it's not a bad game. It's just somewhat shallow, has short levels, too much 2D, it lacks many things and it just gets boring playing it after a while. Er..Sorry. I've been carried away a bit. I really think it's not a bad game. But it's not great either.

I agree, Eggman's announcements were very funny, too bad I couldn't hear almost any of them while playing the game.

• Thumbs Up 3

No, Colors is pretty much overwhelmingly loved for its tone and style. The nay-sayers are just very, very loud. I'm not saying they don't have a point, but I am saying they make it seem like they're the majority opinion when they are definitely not.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't know if it was wrong. But it's really not the kind of story that I want to see in a Sonic game.

I prefer Sonic to have a more serious storyline

• Thumbs Up 4

I wont talk about actuall plot since people already know my opinion on it. Its.... Bad at least. Somehow boring and dont push you forward like Adventure ones or even 06 and ShTH ones. But I understand this since you cant do much in one "small" (compared to other games) location that is EGGMAN theme park with just 2 Main Characters (Sonic and EGGy) and Tails, Yacker, Orbot and Cubot as secondary. Thats why I give them another chance with Generations.

Now about tone. Its somehow too lighthearted and there are too much jokes. For new games they should put less jokes in so you arent like "Oh. Next cutscene so another joke huh..." like I and probably some other people were while playing Colors. Jokes should take you by surprise to be funny. And too many of them make them "unfunny".

Tone overall is nice (excluding jokes) but I think next games after Generations are in desperate need of Adventure/Unleashed/Storybook writers. If tone is like in SA1 with some heavy emphasis (not sure if spelled right) on Characters personality and SOME jokes (Not evry cutscene and most of them in the begginig when story is more light and go darker towards the ending) then here goes my Dream Tone/Plot for Sonic Game.

• Thumbs Up 2

I prefer Sonic to have a more serious storyline

How about a plot that is more rounded in where it applies it serious moments and it's goofy ones? Honestly, in this day and age, a lot of people seem to have this mindset that serious = good story, as opposed having the plot vary when necessary.

• Thumbs Up 8

No, Colors is pretty much overwhelmingly loved for its tone and style. The nay-sayers are just very, very loud. I'm not saying they don't have a point, but I am saying they make it seem like they're the majority opinion when they are definitely not.

Really, I always feel like I was in the minority when I say the tone is too lighthearted. I have nothing against lighthearted and simpler tones but there is a difference between lighthearted/simple and overhaul on jokes (half of which I can't force myself to laugh at, even if I was like 5 years old; but the other half are good or at least decent) and little to no plot focus in the middle of the game.

If I want a lighthearted simpler game, I shouldn't have to settle for a game with no plot. That isn't what lighthearted is. Nor is a bunch of jokes.

With all that said, I don't think Sonic Colors is a bad game. I love the game. Not because it's lighthearted, but because it's fun. If Sonic 06 had great gameplay but the same ridiculous plot and dark theme, I wouldn't call it bad. I would still think the plot and tone could be better but the game is still good. The only reason I'm saying this is because people seem to think that just because people don't like the tone of the game, it means that they outright hate the game and think it sucks.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, Colors' plot is what Heroes' plot should've been. It wasn't very heavy with the story, but it wasn't as paper thin like the latter game.

Character's didn't get involved simply to stop Eggman. In fact that was kind of the point for Colors, Eggman was acting as if he was re-formed, and there was doubts to whether he was truly being evil that time. Heck, it's plot was even smarter than Heroes on the count of Eggman keeping his plans completely secret from Sonic the whole flipping time. Even when Sonic ruined his plans, he did it entirely on accident and still didn't know what Eggman was planning.

Now there's more that could've been done, but it deserves credit where it is due. There were some loose ends it didn't tie up, and no those shouldn't be overlooked, but at the same time, it had elements that were lacking in some of the previous games. It wasn't as massive as Unleashed, but it still holds strong.

• Thumbs Up 1

Colours' plot was about a billion times better than the tripe that was Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog and the unfinished fanfiction that was Sonic 06. Yeah it wasn't amazing, but it was forgettable fun, as it was intended to be. Heck SEGA admitted on numerous occasions how they were caught off-guard by its resounding popularity.

I think the reason for the underdeveloped plot and questionable dialogue was mainly because Sonic Team weren't expecting much from it. Remember Colours was living in Sonic 4's shadow. Heck we didn't even know of its existance prior to it being revealed. I think SEGA expected Sonic 4 to be the bigger title in terms of sales, but with 2 million+ worldwide sales, it ended up being much more successful than its older brother.

Edited by Scar