Awoo.

Sami

So I just beat Persona 3 Portable last night and... why the hell isn't there already a thread for this? I mean, it isn't like there's nothing to talk about. Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena (which I am aware there is a thread for) has a trailer out and gameplay videos, Persona 4 the Golden has been announced, and the Persona 4 anime just started airing a few days ago. So I decided to make a topic that'll be the go-to place for Persona discussion because Persona is fucking awesome.

So I'll start (Persona 3):

The Nyx fight was crap. Seriously. The entire game was all about being incredibly unique and awesome and stylish and different, and then they made the ending just like every shonen anime to ever exist (and by that I mean the whole power of friendship bullshit). The actual ending (as in, after the battle) was great though. The death of Minato (the MC) was tragic, I liked how everyone got their memory back, I loved Aigis' "I will always be by your side" just as you "see the light". Now that was well executed. As far as I'm concerned though, The Answer doesn't exist. I read a synopsis and it sounded stupid as hell. Hopefully one of you guys can prove me wrong on that.

For those who don't know about Persona, I'd say this is a good start. It uses music from the game, and from what I've seen from P4, seems to follow it pretty faithfully.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyo6QTccHXE&feature=related

Edit: Oh, and how the hell can I talk about Persona without mentioning how amazing the music? I mean, seriously, just listen to this stuff. They've got hip-hop (that's actually good. Woah), rock, jazz (or whatever the hell this is), opera, and a new genre they invented called face-fucking awesome. Check it out.

Edited by Dissident

Indeed, Persona is an awesome series. I haven't beaten P3P yet, mostly cause I'm taking a short break from it as I do all games I obsess over, that way I can keep obsessing over it. I love the music, and I find myself listening to parts of the soundtrack (particularly "Burn My Dread", "Master of Shadow", and "Persona") over and over again because they're so catchy. I can't wait until the P3/P4 fighting game comes out, I have a feeling it's gonna be amazing. I'm also still pissed that the Audio Tehchnica ATH EM700 SV headphones are discontinued, not only are they great headphones, but they're the same ones used by the Protagonist in P3.

Indeed, Persona is an awesome series. I haven't beaten P3P yet, mostly cause I'm taking a short break from it as I do all games I obsess over, that way I can keep obsessing over it. I love the music, and I find myself listening to parts of the soundtrack (particularly "Burn My Dread", "Master of Shadow", and "Persona") over and over again because they're so catchy. I can't wait until the P3/P4 fighting game comes out, I have a feeling it's gonna be amazing. I'm also still pissed that the Audio Tehchnica ATH EM700 SV headphones are discontinued, not only are they great headphones, but they're the same ones used by the Protagonist in P3.

Cosplayers pretty much obliterated everyone's chances of getting a set of those headphones legitimately >_> I think they were limited edition to start with, to make things worse, so there's even less!

You can buy a similar style made with a wood backing, but unfortunately you cannot quite achieve that MC look

Persona 5 was teased at TGS, I speculate that there's going to be a reveal around the beginning of next year since it's been a good 8 months since Catherine was released in Japan.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sounds interesting

never played the games, but i freaking love the comic dub.

STEAKSTEAKSTEAKSTEAKSTEAKSTEAK

shut up adachi

Edited by Doctor Jackstraw

I like what I've played from the series a lot, yup.

I've beaten both the PS2 titles (well, technically I'm only halfway through "The Answer" in P3FES, but I'm letting my cousin borrow the game). Of the two, I think that Persona 4 has the slight edge. I don't know what it was about it, but I really felt more attached to the characters.

I just got "Persona 2: Innocent Sin" the other day. It's a hell of a lot different than the PS2 games, plus somewhat overwhelming since the game just sorta throws you into everything. That said, I'm having a lot of fun with it. Really eager to see where the plot will go.

DD: I never really played the series. I've watched friends play through it, though. Really like the animated cutscenes.

• 3 weeks later...

I got Persona 2 and I'm loving it right now. I also beat Persona 1

Edited by NintendoSoul

I've always seen Persona in the distance, but never tried it until recently.

Persona 3 Portable was my first Persona game and I loved every minute of it. The characters, the designs, the rockin' music!!

As a result, I've already purchased the first Persona for the PSP from the Playstation Network store

When I finally get the confidence to cosplay, I've been seriously considering playing as Persona 3's Male main character, as I've already seen the outfit and wig on ebay, and they don't seem as expensive as I thought they might be.

Now I gotta track down Persona 2 and 4, and I don't care what it takes to get them. I might try the other versions of Persona 3 too. I didn't know there was a Persona 4 anime out either, that's freakin' awesome!! XD

• 4 weeks later...

Just started playing P4, and I'm definitely loving it so far. Persona is completely unparalleled in terms of immersion, and that's probably my favorite thing about it.

I was introduced through the comic dub, and then I decided to check out a Youtube walkthrough...I want to play this so badly; The characters seem interesting as well as the story, and I just want to play it.

Back in PS2 times I really wanted to play Persona but I had to many games to play. To many hits you know the drill. I catched up a year or 2 ago when Persona 3 Portable was relased. It was godly I loved every second of it. Characters were just so interesting. Story was brilliant. You really cared about characters. They were just full of personality.

I dont know if someone felt like this while playing the game but on my 1st playtrough I wanted to see whats next. What will happen now. But at the same time I didnt want to go further cause I never wanted it to end. That game was just masterpiece. One of a kind.

I'm not touching Persona 4 till Golden Edition is relased in EU or US (I will import it if needed) which considering Catherine relased in EU fairly soon after JP relase should be right before Summer. Cant wait! I wont touch anime or anything. I am afraid of spoilers.

Edited by HUNTER297

I've been playing Persona 4 and watching the anime at the same time, albeit very carefully, so as not to accidentally skip ahead. I have to say, I'm loving this just as much as I did Persona 3 Portable, if not slightly more thanks to the anime cutscenes and the fact that stuff's actually happening on screen now when people are talking.

Edit: Okay, I can't be the only one who awkward as hell fighting

Shadow Rise,

right? I'm constantly on edge afraid one of my parents is going to walk in at any moment.

Edited by Dissident

I've heard of this series, but in the past I've had little to no money to actually try it out. It's on my list of game series to try but I'm still confused on the actual series. They were Playstation 2 games and then were remade for PSP? Have there been any lately? I've heard of other Shen Megami Tensei games, such as Devil Survivor, but I've never played any of them. Is this like a specific section of Shen Megami Tensei games because I thought the original was a Famicon game.

If I'm going to start with one, which would you recommend?

Edited by Big Ran Over By A Reindeer

I've heard of this series, but in the past I've had little to no money to actually try it out. It's on my list of games to buy but I'm still confused on the actual series. They were Playstation 2 games and then were remade for PSP? Have their been any lately? I've heard of other Shen Megami Tensei games, such as Devil Survivor, but I've never played any of them. Is this like a specific section of Shen Megami Tensei games because I thought the original was a Famicon game.

If I'm going to start with one, which would you recommend?

Edited by gnth®

Persona 4 is probably the least SMT-ish game of the series, if only because for once the biggest appeal is in the characterization and stories rather than the actual game play and mythos (which is still good). P3 might have been the framework for which the series was ultimately recognized for but it still retained the cynical and dark atmosphere of the metaseries. If I didn't know better I'd almost call a lot of the parts in that game clichéd by today's standards, but it's still rather timeless.

Overall though, there's no denying that P3 was incredibly unique back when it first came out. The concept of Evokers for example, while disturbing, was also thrilling. P4 might be the better game for many and a much better starting point, but if you only have to play one Persona game in your lifetime I say make it P3, even though both are definitely worth your time.

• Thumbs Up 1

My preference for P4 leaves the news of the PS Vita port aggravating to me, especially with the recent news of how the real pricing for the device is (great as it is, it's too rich for my blood). Wasn't a Persona game announced for 3DS? Whatever happened to that one?

• 3 weeks later...

So... Naoto's starring in his own spin-off novel, apparently. as of now it's only been confirmed for Japan, so all we can really do is hope for an official English translation.

http://extrovertedotaku.blogspot.com/2011/12/shirogane-naoto-as-main-protagonist-in.html

Wasn't a Persona game announced for 3DS? Whatever happened to that one?

I wasn't aware of this, though I wasn't a fan of the series until last August. I wouldn't be surprised if it was just another port of Persona 3 though, if only because of the opportunity to name it Persona 3D. xP

Slight P4 spoilers:

Also, I know Naoto's actually a chick. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, as predictable as the plot twist was.

I dunno how, but I got into Persona through a Sonic video.

It was a long remix, and at the beginning played something not familiar to me, but it sounded awesome. I thought it was the actual remix, but no. It was Reach Out To The Truth's Genesis version. So I found a video of it playing by itself in full, I saw it came from a game called "Persona 4" I decided to watch a walkthrough and got hooked because the gameplay looked good and the story was enticing.

I've been wanting to play a Persona game since...and my latest chance will be Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena. And Persona 5 is (Hopefully) In development for 3DS or PS3. I'm into a game series I haven't played yet...that says a lot about the quality man.

Wasn't a Persona game announced for 3DS? Whatever happened to that one?

I wasn't aware of this, though I wasn't a fan of the series until last August. I wouldn't be surprised if it was just another port of Persona 3 though, if only because of the opportunity to name it Persona 3D. xP

I wasn't aware of Persona until fairly recently either, so I searched for any info on a Persona 3DS. It was mentioned in a list of 3DS titles before it was launched back in June 2010.

http://www.siliconer...arty-3ds-games/

So it does exist, but I couldn't find anymore details. And I also couldn't find any official info of it being canceled, so I'm assuming it's still being made.

• 1 month later...

Its sad that this thread isnt active. So I am going to say something.

I am re-playing P3P and I must say that its a timeless game that will be still awsome after years. I swear that I will make my 2 and 3 years old cousins play it when they'll grow up. Its just very touching. I think that this is my favourite game from the series (I played 1 and 2 too but havent played 4th one yet).

And whats your favourite Persona game? And maybe favourite characters?

And one more thing (P3 spoiler)

Am I the only one who pretends that "The Answer" never happened? I mean recently I found myself pretending that we just fell asleep in the end of P3... I mean I almost cried when Yukari said "I just want to see him again" in "The Answer". I just like to pretend Protagonist still lives.... This explains how amazing this game is... Call this weird but thats how I feel

Edited by HUNTER297

I'm playing the PSP port of the first game on and off right now and I find the story quite interesting so far. I'm currently working my way through the facility of that corporation (can't remember what it's called).

Btw, anyone else see this?

http://p-atlus.jp/p4u/

It looks interesting. I'm not much for fighting games but a fighter with Persona characters looks neat.

I'm playing the PSP port of the first game on and off right now and I find the story quite interesting so far. I'm currently working my way through the facility of that corporation (can't remember what it's called).

Btw, anyone else see this?

http://p-atlus.jp/p4u/

It looks interesting. I'm not much for fighting games but a fighter with Persona characters looks neat.

So I just beat Persona 3 Portable last night and... why the hell isn't there already a thread for this? I mean, it isn't like there's nothing to talk about. Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena (which I am aware there is a thread for) has a trailer out and gameplay videos, Persona 4 the Golden has been announced, and the Persona 4 anime just started airing a few days ago. So I decided to make a topic that'll be the go-to place for Persona discussion because Persona is fucking awesome.

So I'll start (Persona 3):

The Nyx fight was crap. Seriously. The entire game was all about being incredibly unique and awesome and stylish and different, and then they made the ending just like every shonen anime to ever exist (and by that I mean the whole power of friendship bullshit). The actual ending (as in, after the battle) was great though. The death of Minato (the MC) was tragic, I liked how everyone got their memory back, I loved Aigis' "I will always be by your side" just as you "see the light". Now that was well executed. As far as I'm concerned though, The Answer doesn't exist. I read a synopsis and it sounded stupid as hell. Hopefully one of you guys can prove me wrong on that.

For those who don't know about Persona, I'd say this is a good start. It uses music from the game, and from what I've seen from P4, seems to follow it pretty faithfully.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyo6QTccHXE&feature=related

Edit: Oh, and how the hell can I talk about Persona without mentioning how amazing the music? I mean, seriously, just listen to this stuff. They've got hip-hop (that's actually good. Woah), rock, jazz (or whatever the hell this is), opera, and a new genre they invented called face-fucking awesome. Check it out.

P3 spoiler(ish)

Sorry but I have to disagree. Maybe "The Power of Friendship" syndrome is a bit overused in media (movies, games, books) but in a game where your power comes from bonds you formed with people its actually working. I mean 50% of game is about friendship.

About "The Answer". I kinda dont know what you mean. After playing "The Answer" myself I must say that, this epilogue was fu**ing crazy. I mean the game itself was complicated but after playing "The Answer" I got a strange impression that Atlus was inspired by Bible! Seriously! Not that it was bad but I just pretend that Minato havent died. Its just too sad to me.

And yeah music is freaking awsome. Actually only game OSTs I've got on my phone are InFamous 2 one, Lots of Sonic games OSTs and Persona 3 OSTs. I would love for Atlus to relase whole P3 OST on one OST. I mean all tracks from P3, P3P and P3 FES. That would be instant buy for me.

EDIT: Oh my God! Sorry for Double Post mods :( I am on smartphone and mobile theme always merges posts when you double post. And you cant multi-quote or edit with quote so I always do it like that. Sorry...

Edited by HUNTER297