Awoo.

modern demo?

jords

edit: Honestly if you're defending Generations' crappy rolling, I have to wonder how the fuck you played the Genesis Sonics.

Didn't think you'd stoop so low as to insult people defending this game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Is anyone noticing any lag on the jump button in the PS3 version? Because someone on the internet has uploaded a very interesting video trying to prove it does.

When you break the bridge at Modern Sonic stage there is some lag.

And in Sonic 4, it's actually possible to gain speed by rolling downhill. Which is one of the most basic and defining aspects of the classic games.

This is so wrong it's painful...

• Thumbs Up 8

Didn't think you'd stoop so low as to insult people defending this game.
That's not an insult, it's a question. I don't understand how you can play the Genesis games without realizing how important the rolling is to them.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well, once my initial usual "omg so awesome" reaction faded, and I had the ability to actually analyze what I was looking at, I went in cautiously.

Fair enough.

And in Sonic 4, it's actually possible to gain speed by rolling downhill. Which is one of the most basic and defining aspects of the classic games. I also don't feel compelled to do a near-instant spindash every time I want to go fast.

Play Sonic 4 again and hold down without holding forward. It is NOT possible to gain speed this way.

So the spindash counts as a "fix", but holding forward doesn't? Many people have argued that Sonic 4's physics are fine once you adjust to them (by holding forward all the time). Are Generation's physics fine once you adjust to them (by using the spindash instead of rolling)?

It's a fix for no momentum vs a fix for slow rolling, dude. It's hardly comparable. And it's not so much that you spindash the whole time so much that you use it when you want to pick up speed in an area you're otherwise having trouble in. I dunno, I guess it just doesn't bother me as much because the game isn't designed around holding down at the right time.

edit: Honestly if you're defending Generations' crappy rolling, I have to wonder how the fuck you played the Genesis Sonics.

With rolling physics, of course. I'm actually going to enjoy seeing your brain fry trying to figure out how I can play one game a certain way then play another game another way.

EDIT: Aw heck, I'll be nice. Rolling physics were necessary for how the Genesis games were designed, but they aren't for Generations. The game maintains a fun and consistent sense of flow without it, so I'm not impulsed to roll all the time, therefore it doesn't bother me.

Edited by Indigo Rush

http://yfrog.com/ne62619046z

^ That's the video in question that is trying to "prove" that the game has button lag on PS3. I told him to connect his PS3 to his HD TV with hd cables instead of SD, but he assured me he was using HD, and posted this picture: http://p.twimg.com/AcO05JUCIAEDxCa.jpg

So wtf?

Strange. I'm playing the PS3 version and not experiencing any input lag at all.

So the spindash counts as a "fix", but holding forward doesn't? Many people have argued that Sonic 4's physics are fine once you adjust to them (by holding forward all the time). Are Generation's physics fine once you adjust to them (by using the spindash instead of rolling)?

I'd assume so. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't really use the roll during gameplay. When it comes to loops, I just spindash which gains the speed for me. The only Sonic title I use the roll in often is Sonic 1, because there WAS no spindash at that point.

Honestly if you're defending Generations' crappy rolling, I have to wonder how the fuck you played the Genesis Sonics.

Once again, I don't know about anyone else but I'm not defending the roll. It's crap, I admit it, but I don't think it's so major as to break the classic side of the game. But that's just me. One question I have for you, do you use the roll often in games it's in? Just curious.

Edited by Red Cap-Blue Spikes

Moving on.

Another thing I noticed about this demo is that it didn't seem as taxing on the eyes, and I was actually able to keep my eye on Sonic throughout the level. I dunno what they did but it worked, or maybe it might by my new TV. :P

• Thumbs Up 2

@Phos

I laughed pretty hard at this.

EDIT: Perhaps I should elaborate:

So that sky sanctuary level, it splits, but they're still just hot wheels tracks, it's just like some kind of junction between tracks.

What were you expecting? Rather what is it you want? It has plenty of solid platforming. Plenty of branching paths. Or are you one of the folk that want an "Open world" Sonic level, which you can "explore"?

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 1

Play Sonic 4 again and hold down without holding forward. It is NOT possible to gain speed this way.
I'm well aware of that. That's the "fix" for 4's crappy physics.

I dunno, I guess it just doesn't bother me as much because the game isn't designed around holding down at the right time.

With rolling physics, of course. I'm actually going to enjoy seeing your brain fry trying to figure out how I can play one game a certain way then play another game another way.

So at what point did you miss the connection between Classic Sonic and classic Sonic? Or do you just not care?

http://yfrog.com/ne62619046z

^ That's the video in question that is trying to "prove" that the game has button lag on PS3. I told him to connect his PS3 to his HD TV with hd cables instead of SD, but he assured me he was using HD, and posted this picture: http://p.twimg.com/AcO05JUCIAEDxCa.jpg

So wtf?

I bet it's the TV. i had a TV once(Samsung) with input lag. Never notied it untill i played 2D platformers and fightinggames.

Instant new non-samsung-branded-tv.

Problem solved.

Edited by Michael Myers

I'm well aware of that. That's the "fix" for 4's crappy physics.

Rolling doesn't work regardless of whether or nor you hold down the directional pad. It doesn't fix much at all to be perfectly honest.

So at what point did you miss the connection between Classic Sonic and classic Sonic? Or do you just not care?

I don't care much to be honest, recognise it as a flaw, but I don't think it will have much of an effect on the overall enjoyability of the game. The level design is solid and fun, the gameplay ain't perfect, but it isn't broken. I don't see the problem with taking such a stance.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 1

Fuck, everyone. Didn't we all decide five pages back that Dio pretty much is always right? Why go into the exact same arguments over and over again? I came here asking a very important question, and this whole mess is now making it so I'd be downright ashamed to post the thread to the person who's complaining of lag issues.

I'm well aware of that. That's the "fix" for 4's crappy physics

Problem is, you still don't gain significant speed.

Well, one has a capital letter, and the other doesn't, you see...

...the answer is neither of those. Of course I got the game's intention to replicate retro Sonic gameplay as close as possible, and one of the things I was concerned about were rolling physics. Moreso than that, even, momentum was at the top of my list. They improved so much over what damage Sonic 4 did, I'm willing to FORGIVE them for rolling problems, enjoy the game without it's reliance on the rolling mechanic, and still hold out expectations for the next title. I have trust in Sonic Team to provide a fun and enjoyable experience, and so far this is what they're providing. I'll be surprised if rolling isn't fixed next Sonic Team-made game. It's Dimps that I don't trust anymore.

Fuck, everyone. Didn't we all decide five pages back that Dio pretty much is always right? Why go into the exact same arguments over and over again? I came here asking a very important question, and this whole mess is now making it so I'd be downright ashamed to post the thread to the person who's complaining of lag issues.

That's why I hate him. While he may show some good points, he always drives everyone into the same goddamn discussion.

"HURR PHYSICS." Cue Sonic Wars #42648.

• Thumbs Up 1

Moving on.

Another thing I noticed about this demo is that it didn't seem as taxing on the eyes, and I was actually able to keep my eye on Sonic throughout the level. I dunno what they did but it worked, or maybe it might by my new TV. tongue.png

Lemme just squeeze through this argument...there we go. I really like the blur effect in the background, it makes it much easier for you to keep your eyes on the foreground (it also looks cool).

Or, you can agree to disagree like two gentlemen based on the fact that it seems you two won't come to an understanding.

Thing is, I don't entirely disagree with what he was saying.

And I did nothing ungentlemen like, so I'm not sure what you were reading.

It's funny when people try to act rational, by butting into something that doesn't involve them, but at the same time try and make any discussion seem like some huge argument.

Edited by SpeedsMyGame

That's why I hate him. While he may show some good points, he always drives everyone into the same goddamn discussion.

Maybe because every time he posts a flaw in the game, everyone wants to rant and rant about how wrong he is or that he should give the game a chance, yet no one says a damn thing when nothing but praise is going towards the game, you guys are just as bad because you make it seem like its perfectly fine to praise and love the game, but the second someone comes in with a legitimate complaint, they're suddenly considered evil.

• Thumbs Up 4

Lemme just squeeze through this argument...there we go. I really like the blur effect in the background, it makes it much easier for you to keep your eyes on the foreground (it also looks cool).

Guess that means it's useless to even waste time going back through the past pages. Good. The blur effect is pretty nice actually. It's not to blurry or too plain. Nice mix. But I still kinda prefer the Unleashed version. I really felt a strong sense of SPEEEEED. Maybe I'll get my feel in later stages. *drools about Crisis City*

I don't think that's fair by any means. He has a different opinion, nothing to hate him over.

Has anyone noticed that whenever Modern Sonic isn't boosting, he doesn't cling properly to the ground? Take the tunnel after the jump into that waterfall for example. If you stop and hold left inside the tunnel, Sonic will flip upside down and fall off the walls/ceiling of the tunnel. But if you boost he'll completely circle it and continue to do so until you run out of boost or stop.

Edited by Red Cap-Blue Spikes

No one discuss anything on here, especially with Dio. Since apparentlymellow.png ...

Discussion=ridiculously over heated argument, on here.

• Thumbs Up 2

Guess that means it's useless to even waste time going back through the past pages. Good. The blur effect is pretty nice actually. It's not to blurry or too plain. Nice mix. But I still kinda prefer the Unleashed version. I really felt a strong sense of SPEEEEED. Maybe I'll get my feel in later stages. *drools about Crisis City*

Classic Sonic has better blur in his background though.

Maybe because every time he posts a flaw in the game, everyone wants to rant and rant about how wrong he is or that he should give the game a chance, yet no one says a damn thing when nothing but praise is going towards the game, you guys are just as bad because you make it seem like its perfectly fine to praise and love the game, but the second someone comes in with a legitimate complaint, they're suddenly considered evil.

Nobody said it isn't a flaw. Heck, I agree, the rolling is pretty poor. Its just, it really isn't that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. Sure it won't play exactly like the classics any more and level design will be different, but it won't automatically make the game any less enjoyable to play, at least not to me.