Awoo.

modern demo?

jords

The Classic gameplay isn't perfect by a long shot, but even though I've been playing the old demo almost non-stop since June, I still prefer it to Modern Green Hill (can't speak for gameplay on a whole at this point). It's so much much less forced, more fluid and I don't feel like I'm having control taken away from me every five seconds.

• Thumbs Up 3

The Classic gameplay isn't perfect by a long shot, but even though I've been playing the old demo almost non-stop since June, I still prefer it to Modern Green Hill (can't speak for gameplay on a whole at this point). It's so much much less forced, more fluid and I don't feel like I'm having control taken away from me every five seconds.

• Thumbs Up 1

no demo, i have a feeling its coming out the same time at around 4:30 - 5:00pm like yesterday with xbox live

• Thumbs Up 1

FINALLY managed to get my hands on the demo with HUGE thanks to the awesome guys a Sonic Retro :D Classic doesn't feel too different to the last demo to me, I'm not noticing much difference on the controls and physics but I never had a big grudge to them before so it's all good. Really enjoying Modern, that's the one I've really been digging into here, feels the same as SoS really, just really fun. This will keep me happy until release.

Modern Green Hill = 1:50:07 for me now. Working to bring it down even further. wink.png

Edited by crush40rocks

i've played modern sonic over 50 times now plus played in French, spanish and italian now im waiting for ther PSN demo which is the real deal for me since i pre ordered the ps3 game

I'm surprised no one has brought this up when discussing Classic physics and rolling in GHZ (tho if someone has, I apologize..!) I did a quick side by side comparison of the size of the loops, keeping the size of the Genesis/Generations sprites the same, and it becomes VERY apparent why those classic physics everyone's after would never work in Generations. The distances travelled in the original level were a fraction of the length they are here. Those loops are HUGE and definitely require considerable momentum to get around them...in many ways, this justifies the overpowered spindash. That said, if ST were to change the physics so that you're going fast enough to go around the loops like you did on the Genesis, the feel of Classic Sonic would drastically change. I'd venture he'd feel even less like his Genesis counterpart. If the Team were going to change anything, it'd be to make Generations model larger in relation to the environments so that the current physics better emulate the Genesis set-up.

It's funny, when we first got a glimpse at CPZ I was shocked by how small Classic Sonic looked in relation to the level itself. Perhaps this is the chief issue plaguing the physics. If the overall model was larger, he'd essentially have less distance to travel and would have fewer issues getting around those loops (and rolling too I'd imagine!)

2w2la35.jpg

• Thumbs Up 5

Not really keen on the motion blur in the Classic stage. I wanna admire the pretty level, dammit!

The PC version will probably let you turn it off, and if it doesn't I think it could probably be achieved via hacking.

That said, if ST were to change the physics so that you're going fast enough to go around the loops like you did on the Genesis, the feel of Classic Sonic would drastically change. I'd venture he'd feel even less like his Genesis counterpart.
I can't imagine that simply building up speed faster on a roll would feel less classic than not building up any.
  • Thumbs Up 1

*text*

2w2la35.jpg

Why didn't I pay attention to this before? Classic Sonic looks so tiny in those levels. (It makes him look even more badass.) Perhaps SEGA wanted to expose the pretty environment.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's pretty damn funny how Modern Sonic was the underdog (or should I say *puts on shades*...'underhog'! HURR HURR!) when this game was first revealed...now almost everyone prefers him over Classic Sonic.

LOL, funny stuff.

• Thumbs Up 2

My only problem with Modern Sonic is how they've moved the homing attack back to the jump button. It was perfect for me in Unleashed where it was simply the boost button while in the air.

I'm getting bad memories of the Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog controls >.<

Well, I took the demo for a whirl last night, and I can honestly say I thoroughly enjoyed it. I enjoyed it so much after playing it so many times, I tried to find a bunch of funny ways to kill myself off Green Hill. xD

In any case.

Classic Sonic? It feels awesome to play as you again. I had a lot of fun with the Genesis style gameplay, it felt smooth, the Spin Dash may be overpowered but it's incredibly fun. xD

Jumping, namely on enemies in a row, will take a little getting used to, but that I can live with.

Modern Sonic? A lot of improvement in control since Unleashed and Colours. Everything felt more precise, though I admit I nearly screwed myself over on the first try trying to remind myself that the Homing Attack is A-A now, not A-X when there's an enemy [bWOOSH INTO A PIT]. Although for some reason, I can't boost when I'm on rails... Hopefully that'll be fixed. If not, meh.

With that, I practically played the demo about a good 10 times for each hedgehog. My only real complaint is that it's not the full game, but with this? I can wait. smile.png

Edited by VizardJeffhog

Really? I had no problems with it. I've had too many accidental death moments in Heroes and SthH to forgive the Jump/Homing Attack combination D:

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 2

And not with it being on the same button as an uncontrollable powerful push forward?

Edited by Blue Blood

PS3 Users over in EU... The demo has finally come! Downloading as we speak.

Weighs in at 665 MB just as Shadz reported.

See you... in an hour or so!

Edited by CobraRoll

PS3 Users over in EU... The demo has finally come! Downloading as we speak.

Weighs in at 665 MB.

See you... in an hour or so!

Edited by Tmsp

At this point, I'm still getting used to bopping enemies as Classic Sonic to reach higher paths. I actually sometimes wish I had the homing attack lol. I appreciate Sega trying to integrate their homing attack chains into Classic gameplay, but it feels uncomfortable and against my own instincts. I'll probably get used to it at some point, like I did with spindashboost. The platforming is fun, the layout is solid. I just have to fight my Sonic 3 instincts.

I'm really enjoying Modern Sonic's feel in 3D. I decided to just run in circles within the corridor and I can feel the difference since Unleashed. Sometimes running in arenas in Unleashed would...feel very awkward, like trying to turn around a car. Moving Sonic at slow speeds in Generations feels perfect. At faster speeds, Sonic gets looser controls to compensate. I likey. There is risk/reward not just for boosting but even for running fast, wheras going slow allows you to be precise and safe. Good balance, there.

Edited by Crazizzle