Awoo.

The Amazing Spider-Man (The Game)

Eternal EX

Okay, now I'm definitely getting this game for my birthday. Also, from what I've seen so far, this game looks like it could be the Arkham Asylum of the Spider-Man series. Also, given it's another Spider-Man game, and with open worlds no less, but having Stan Lee as playable is just icing on the cake. I'm glad my brother has MSP now because I'm so going to use them to buy the Stan Lee skin. Or even better, if it's available with pre-order. I will gladly draw funds from saving for a DS to get this game. Now let's just hope it uses it's potential well instead of screwing it up...

Also, as for how web slinging goes, I thought the way it handled in Shattered Dimensions worked well for the game, since the levels were more linear and didn't involve as much web slinging, therefore the simplicity worked (and man I just love that web jump move.) However, as this game will be open-world I'd prefer something akin to the style of Ultimate Spider-Man, as I feel that handled the best, being not quite so complicated as Spider-Man 2, but the simplicity worked, and was a whole lot of fun. Although I wouldn't mind something like Spider-Man 3 either as that worked really well, and I loved the ability to use either the wiimote or nunchuk to swing with either hand, along with the motion controls feeling natural as opposed to forced. (though I suppose that won't matter if I'm getting the 360 version.)

Edited by Spider-Derp 2099

The best part about Ultimate Spider-Man's webswinging was the ease of wall-running. In Spider-Man 2 and 3, I tend to spend most of my time actually swinging on webs when I'm going through the city. It's fun, yeah, but it just doesn't feel that cool. I don't get any sense of accomplishment out of getting better at it, and I really don't feel like I can develop my own personal style.

But Ultimate Spider-Man? I don't know about you guys, but I only shot normal webs when necessary or when I wanted a boost in speed. Most of my commuting revolved around webzipping at opportune moments and leaping from building to building (running on the side of them, I mean) to conserve momentum. It's more simplified than Spider-Man 2's system, but it's so much more fun.

• Thumbs Up 3

Hey true believers

STAN MOTHERFUCKING LEE IS GOING TO BE A PLAYABLE CHARACTER (skin?) IN THIS GAME

GOTYAY

Fixed for ya.

Edited by goku262002

The best part about Ultimate Spider-Man's webswinging was the ease of wall-running. In Spider-Man 2 and 3, I tend to spend most of my time actually swinging on webs when I'm going through the city. It's fun, yeah, but it just doesn't feel that cool. I don't get any sense of accomplishment out of getting better at it, and I really don't feel like I can develop my own personal style.

But Ultimate Spider-Man? I don't know about you guys, but I only shot normal webs when necessary or when I wanted a boost in speed. Most of my commuting revolved around webzipping at opportune moments and leaping from building to building (running on the side of them, I mean) to conserve momentum. It's more simplified than Spider-Man 2's system, but it's so much more fun.

I thought I was the only one who did that! Web-swinging in that game was very well done, but simply wall running and web-swinging was a lot of fun. I especially liked to switch to the Peter Parker...err..."costume", just because of how hilarious it is no-one reacts to the fact what looks like an ordinary high-school student beating up gang members and running on walls and such. XD

Stan Lee as a playable character/skin in this game, assuming that's true, is just hilarious. I hope he has actual lines or something, unlike Spider-Man (the one based on the first movie :P) where alternate skins had Spidey's usual dialogue.

But as for the actual game... I think it looks decent. I haven't played a Spider-Man game since Spider-Man 3, and I actually didn't really care for that one too much. The best one out of the one's I played was Spider-Man 2, hands down. That was a very fun game.

OXM scans up! Game looks awesome! biggrin.png

DSX9U.jpg

0Li6f.jpg

qFvRt.jpg

Bullet point format of the facts.

* Oscorp is the source of a "cross-species" outbreak

* Dee Brown, Beenox studio head, talked about this game as "free roaming" and compared it to Arkham City--many missions are set indoors, but you can freely travel around the city and encounter random crimes, fights and so on.

* Amazing's virtual world is quite detailed--but not to the level of Liberty City. (This was a demo they viewed, so it's possible the graphics/detail will be improved.)

* Amazing's world will not have traditional day/night cycles, but some missions will occur at night.

* Helping you get around the city is a toggleable mini-map depicted as PP's cell phone with GPS.

* Beenox has removed the health bar and overall HUD to give you a greater feel as Spidey.

* The camera is closer than normal over-the-shoulder giving the player and intimate sense of the action.

* The sound effects are top notch.

* Pedestrians make comments as you are swinging thru the streets.

* Spidey's animations are much improved over past Spidey titles. "As he sails thru the air, his body rotates in graceful spirals like he's swimming underwater; springing from poles, to window ledges, he twists and flips with the energy of a hyperactive trapeze artist."

* Web rush explained: Essentially a long distance dash (RB) takes you to one of several fixed points in the immediate environment-a sign post, the side of a bldg, top of a car--all subtly highlighted on screen.

* There is a bullet timey slowdown effect that can be used to make Spidey move faster during chaining Web rushes together.

* Web rush also plays a part in combat by allowing you to perform quick dodges, crippling enemies, etc.

* During the demo they encountered a random crime of several cars fleeing a bank robbery--it involved using several button prompts to trap the cars in a web going across the street.

* Dee Brown when explaining the combat used the word "free flowing" and said Arkham City is one of his favorite games.

* The combat looked less button mashy and more fluid than in past Spidey games and you got rewards for getting high combos without being hit.

* hitting B allows for Spidey to perform a finishing move--webbing a thug to the floor, grabbing a guard with your legs and slamming him to the ground, etc.

* There will be silent takedowns.

* In one of the screen shots Spidey is seen hanging from the ceiling ala Spidey iconic upside down pose and is eavesdropping on some guards.

* The screen shots provided show excellent overall detail. Graphics look great.

* Per combat-- "Battles seem like the kind of nimble, rapid fire fun we expect in a Spider-man game. The combat looks very Arkham City-ish."

* They got to see the part of the Rhino fight--and you fight him more than once.

I have to admit, I am getting pretty excited for this game. A detailed city, smooth animations, NPCs that make comments, stealth, eaves dropping on enemies, taking all the right cues from the Arkham games and previous Spider-Man games, the web rush mechanics sounds fun, a toggable bullet time the mini map being depicted as Peter's cell phone with GPS, the draw distance looks really good, the graphics look great, the random crimes sound like they will be fun and Beenox seem like they know what they're doing.

I am really loving the sound of the Web Rush. It sounds like it will be used to really capture Spider-Man's agility. It seems like you can use it to make Spidey automatically got to a spot using his agility and such. Considering how important Spidey's agility is and how hard it is to capture it well in the game, it seems like a great idea, especially in use with the bullet time mechanic.

Consider me excited! biggrin.png

Edited by PeanutButterDerp
  • Thumbs Up 4

That screenshot where spidey is fighting that HUGE robo mech looks amazing. Well graphically. I can tell the lighting in this game is gonna be good.

Oh, you definitely aren't alone there. Spider-Man 2 was the most well known of the games, and for good reason: With my personal exception of Ultimate Spider-Man (which I slightly prefer), it was the best of the Spider-Man games by far. Spider-Man 3 HD was horribly unfinished and reeked of laziness and mediocrity; it's practically the Sonic 06 of Spider-Man games. I haven't played any of the games since that one either, but only because I've yet to see anything that had the same amount of care put into it as Ultimate Spider-Man or Spider-Man 2.

Surely you're not saying that the HD version is worse than the PS2/Wii counterpart? While I do like some things about SM3 Wii, overall it feels like an absolute joke. And I'd also say it feels waaaaaaaaay more unfinished than the HD counterpart ever did. Just look at the pedestrian animations, missing building textures, laughable voice acting, and the numerous game-breaking glitches. Hell, if you eradicate a gang only for it to turn out you needed to interrogate them for a story mission, you're shit out of luck. SM3 HD has it's flaws, but nothing like these.

Mind you, I can't say I share the common disdain for the HD game (Or the movie, for that matter). It's not as good as Spider-Man 2, but I still think it's miles ahead of most other movie-licensed games. It certainly had more genuine effort put into it then, say, the Iron Man or Transformers games.

And honestly? I know this is bound to get some people in arms, but I genuinely like SM3 HD better than Ultimate. I like Ultimate for its story missions, but I felt the open world aspect was a huge step backward from SM2, especially the web swinging. What once felt like a high-octane extreme sport felt more like a way to get around, and nothing more. The trick races felt a little sloppy to me, and I could write an entire essay on how disappointed I was with Venom. SM3 brought back the more exhilarating web swinging, and I felt like the side activities were more polished and better put together. The story missions weren't as good, but I didn't find them horribly offensive either. Though the boss fights sure sucked.

Edited by Speederino

Surely you're not saying that the HD version is worse than the PS2/Wii counterpart? While I do like some things about SM3 Wii, overall it feels like an absolute joke. And I'd also say it feels waaaaaaaaay more unfinished than the HD counterpart ever did. Just look at the pedestrian animations, missing building textures, laughable voice acting, and the numerous game-breaking glitches. Hell, if you eradicate a gang only for it to turn out you needed to interrogate them for a story mission, you're shit out of luck. SM3 HD has it's flaws, but nothing like these.

Well, that wasn't the version of the game anyone cared about. It was clear from the start that the PS2/Wii version was just the crappy throwaway version, so nobody payed any attention.

Well, that wasn't the version of the game anyone cared about. It was clear from the start that the PS2/Wii version was just the crappy throwaway version, so nobody payed any attention.

Heh, they sure had me fooled. Back in the Wii's early days, I had no reason to suspect it would be a cash-in game. I knew it was going to be a different build, but the Wii's reputation for shovel-ware hadn't quite kicked in, you know?

Edited by Speederino
  • Thumbs Up 1

Heh, they sure had me fooled. Back in the Wii's early days, I had no reason to suspect it would be a cash-in game. I knew it was going to be a different build, but the Wii's reputation for shovel-ware hadn't quite kicked in, you know?

Don't forget the game was pretty much hidden form public view until right before release. The only thing that ever got any exposure was the HD version; that fact alone got me pretty skeptical.

• Thumbs Up 1

I never played Spider-man 3 because I refused to put my money in a project based on that abomination of a Spider-man film. I tolerated the first movie. Was okay with the second. That was the final fucking straw.

Fucking standards,man.

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't forget the game was pretty much hidden form public view until right before release. The only thing that ever got any exposure was the HD version; that fact alone got me pretty skeptical.

Oh that's nothing, you should have seen what they did with the Wii version of Web of Shadows. They didn't even tell us which build it would be until a week before its release, maybe two. Keep in mind that I only had a Wii back then, so this was pretty damn suspenseful stuff for me. laugh.png

I had at least seen screenshots of SM3 Wii a couple months before its release.

Edited by Speederino

Personally, I had nothing but a Wii for awhile, so I've never minded the Wii ports too much myself. Plus the fact that the Wii versions are cheaper, and the HD graphics are worthless when I lack an HDTV. That said, I will probably get this game on the 360, if only for any DLC/pre-order bonuses. Anyways, I'm so gld to see that this game is essentially the Arkham City of Spider-Man games, because that's exactly what I was hoping for, and it's exceeding my expectations so far. :D Now, there's only one thing that could make this game more epic, and that is the ability to spin the large, round spider-webs that he uses for rescuing citizens, "trapping thieves just like flies," ect. The fact that you can make webs to catch car thieves gives me hope, but if they do have the ability spin webs like that, I'm going to screw saving for a 3DS, screw waiting to get this game for my birthday, and just get it on release date.

I originally brushed off this game because I thought it was going to be yet another crappy cash in. After seeing those trailers, my god, I think I might just consider getting it. ESPECIALLY after seeing Rhinos design. I can only wonder what mysterio would look like.

I originally brushed off this game because I thought it was going to be yet another crappy cash in. After seeing those trailers, my god, I think I might just consider getting it. ESPECIALLY after seeing Rhinos design. I can only wonder what mysterio would look like.

Mysterio's been confirmed? I didn't like him much in Spider-Man 2, but seeing as how he's a master of illusions, a boss fight with him has a lot of potential.

Mysterio's been confirmed? I didn't like him much in Spider-Man 2, but seeing as how he's a master of illusions, a boss fight with him has a lot of potential.

I didn't say he was confirmed, I just saying how I wondered what Mysterios appearance would be like if he made the cut. But now that you mention it, a boss battle would be awesome.

New trailer showing webswinging, parkour, web rush and(Once again Beenox, showing how much of Spidey fans they are) Iguana! Also new screenshots and two articles for the game and Iguana.

Article about the game.

http://ps3.ign.com/a.../1220658p1.html

Article about iguana like the one for Rhino.

http://www.ign.com/w...objectid=120284

Screens.

http://www.ign.com/i...-man-ps3-120284

the-amazing-spider-man-doesnt-suck-20120313105951305_640w.jpg

the-amazing-spider-man-doesnt-suck-20120313105949940_640w.jpg

the-amazing-spider-man-doesnt-suck-20120313105948930_640w.jpg

the-amazing-spider-man-doesnt-suck-20120313105947208_640w.jpg

the-amazing-spider-man-doesnt-suck-20120313105945936_640w.jpg

the-amazing-spider-man-doesnt-suck-20120313105944531_640w.jpg

the-amazing-spider-man-doesnt-suck-20120313105943162_640w.jpg

the-amazing-spider-man-doesnt-suck-20120313105941821_640w.jpg

the-amazing-spider-man-doesnt-suck-20120313105940533_640w.jpg

the-amazing-spider-man-doesnt-suck-20120313105939214_640w.jpg

the-amazing-spider-man-doesnt-suck-20120313105935539_640w.jpg

Now as for my opinion of this game from what i have seen... HOLY CRAP! THIS GAME LOOKS AWESOME! The webswinging looks fluid and swift, the Web Rush looks like an amazing way to pull off Spidey's trademark agility, Spidey is using the webbing with his environment, the fighting looks awesome and Spidey like, Spidey's model is fantastic, the animations are great, the draw distance looks really good and it looks all around like a great game that uses the stuff that worked from previous games and improves upon them.

This game looks so freaking awesome! biggrin.png Hell yeah, Beenox!

• Thumbs Up 3

Looks pretty damn fun. mite b kool.

By the way, The Iguana, he's an obscure villain who only appeared in like 1 issue in the 70s. Seems to tie in to the plot perfectly, I assume a failed test subject of Conners and Oscorp

Edited by Sgt. Jackstraw

A nagging voice in the back of my head is telling me to stay away from hype.

I think I'll put him away for now. I want to be happy for once.

Again who is Iguana? I guess me not knowing who he is makes me not the big fan I thought I was. I'll leave now.

*Kayne west stops me*

"That exit will be great and all but I gotta hand it to The amazing spider-man game. Shit looks great"

Again who is Iguana? I guess me not knowing who he is makes me not the big fan I thought I was. I'll leave now.

*Kayne west stops me*

"That exit will be great and all but I gotta hand it to The amazing spider-man game. Shit looks great"

http://en.wikipedia....Iguana_(comics)

Image1175.gif

It pays to have games developed by fans of the actual character and comics.

This game looks really fun! I've never played an open-world Spider-Man game, only Shattered Dimensions (which I adore), but the open-world parkour-swinging aspect of this one looks like it might overtake SD in terms of enjoyment (if it's good)!

Okay. I am a huge Spider-man fan and I didn't even expect to hear about the Iguana. Might as well bring in every obscure Spidey villain that has appeared and associates with villains. I am talking Walrus-man, Lobster-man, Joe Quesada(I want this to happen. ALL OF MY MONEY!)

This game looks really fun! I've never played an open-world Spider-Man game, only Shattered Dimensions (which I adore), but the open-world parkour-swinging aspect of this one looks like it might overtake SD in terms of enjoyment (if it's good)!

You've really been missing out then. Open world Spiderman games are the best. Seriously. Well that's just my opinion. I hated SD because I was not able to just kick back and web swing where ever I wanted too.

• Thumbs Up 1