Awoo.

The Sonic Stadium's 11th Birthday!

Dreadknux

Happy birthday Sonic Stadium!

I'm kinda new here, SSMB starting August, and TSS sometime during summer 2011. ^_^

Happy birthday. I only hitched a ride in March, so there hasn't been that much memorable stuff that didn't transform into a meme that died with time.

Edited by Mr.Awesomest

Joined here in 2006 when everybody was talking about Sonic 06.

It was my first year in high school and I had no friends around that time so I used to go to the computer library whenever I got the chance and log onto SSMB.

It was my first forum and was very much stricter than any forum that Ive ever been on, but I did like how it taught to post more proper and feel at home being among other Sonic fans.

I may not be as active these days, but I cant see myself leaving this place anytime soon.

I'd been a non-user/lurker on the forums for a couple of weeks in early 2009 after developing an interest in online discussion and noticing TSS, was just about to register, and *kaboom* SERVERDEATH.

So, on March 5th, I registered as soon as I found out that the site was back up, along with many hundred others.

I started life with a rant on Sonic Unleashed - and I guess that I haven't really stopped since!

Happy b-day to the #1 sonic fansite, hands down no argument.

My memories include being happy this site wasn't blocked during my freshman year of high school (2004-2005) attempting to become a DJ on SSR in 2006...became a DJ for 1 day.....being banned from the IRC chatroom for 2 damn years for politely telling the @sshole of a mod (at the time) to butt out of an argument I was having with another user...coming back 2 years later and becoming a DJ on SSR for the past nearly 2 years. It's been a wild ride...and here's to more excitement!

I joined here sometime in 2008, in October, I think. I was initially turned away from joining this place because this place was ruled with an iron fist, and because I wasn't a comfortable forum-goer then, I felt too scared to join. However, after I became more confident in participating in forums, and after the SSMB became a bit more toned down, I decided to sign up. Even then, though, I didn't actively participate until a only after I turned twenty-three years old. Previously, I only posted here and there. However, my posts climbed up, and I became more upfront, observant, and critical. I grew fonder of the forum and the place altogether, and I grew a reputation based on my knowledge, research, critical thinking, past experiences, and stiff expectations.

While there are ups and downs here, this forum is a fantastic place to talk about Sonic and other material, and I've had a great time talking and meeting many fantastic people here. I hope to see it for another eleven years and then some! :D

feels like I've been around forever but.. let's see.. May 4rth 2009

I don't remember why I joined. wait, yes I do. CUZ IT'S SONIC!

Seriously though, this place seemed the most inviting. (and wasn't dead)

I migrated here during the horrific '05 days when we actually had a spam forum which was then deleted in a very melodramatic fashion, and the upcoming game to slay people over was ShtH. And I think I got chewed out by Roarey once. Good times. Then for awhile I left to make a few homes elsewhere before coming back here after the wipe to make a clean start. Everything is better now and I'm much happier, and I probably won't be leaving SSMB like that again. <3

It doesn't feel like nearly 6 years, but I guess it has been. I joined back in November of 2005. I guess I grew up through my teens on the SSMB, hopefully I'm less of a pain in the ass for the staff than I was as a thirteen year old spamming the Fluff & Party forum with bullshit. Man the craziness when that board got shut down.

I still remember the insane hype when the first trailer for Sonic 06 dropped, people were at each others throats over every little detail and possible interpretation. And the fact it wasn't called Sonic Adventure 3. laugh.png

And Soap shoes. Man I begged my parents for a pair after finding out they were a real brand of shoes on here. They probably made the right decision in denying that since I probably would have broke my neck. I still think they look cool, I wish they could have stayed part of Sonic's design.

And I remember the SSN, back when that stood for Sonic Spriter's Network. I used to come home from school and get on the computer every evening and do pixel art and sprite sheets. Thanks to the SSN I wanted nothing more than to do art for video games, an aspiration I still hold to a different extent in that I'd like to do concept art for video games and illustrations for tabletop games for a living.

Remember when everyone had a fan character? I can't even begin to imagine how many notebooks I filled with doodles and drawings of my fan characters. To be honest I kind of miss that identifying character everyone had even if most of them were recolored game sprites. I may not have drawn my character in years but it was fun back then.

I've met a lot of cool people through here, most of whom I've lost touch with because we all moved on to other things after a while, but that's life.

Good times. And I'm looking forward to more. Even though I've moved on from being a huge Sonic fan, the SSMB is like a second home on the net to me and I figure I'll probably always end up back here sooner or later as long as the site stays online.

Happy birthday, Sonic Stadium! happy.png

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't kno what's more amazing. Seeing Dread actually post something or knowing that this place has been around for 11 years.

I joined this place back in like 2006 (I THINK) and it was nothing like it is now. Only faces I still see are like the mods and the people who use to be a mod but went back to being a normal member. So much has changed around here. I use to just pop in at first to see what's new then I slowly became attached to this place and Sonic Wrecks. Then that thing happened years ago where it wiped everything. SSMB you are my favorite place to hang out in on the internet. Destroys facebook and twitter.

Does TSS still do game reviews? I haven't seen one since like Unleashed.

• Thumbs Up 1

I migrated here during the horrific '05 days when we actually had a spam forum which was then deleted in a very melodramatic fashion, and the upcoming game to slay people over was ShtH. And I think I got chewed out by Roarey once. Good times.

Don't forget that "Sick of Shadow fans" topic. At least you can thank Roarey for deleting that flamefest of a topic back in the past. Good times indeed! cool.png

I'm a much more casual member of the fandom, but much appreciate the Sonic Stadiums part of things, it's sort of become the spiritual sucessor of the ages old "Sonic HQ" which way back was one of the original fandom bases (have a hi-five if you remember that place!)

I think the most uncanny thing is knowing this site originated in Southend where I used to live, I lived there for 12 years and never found another (serious) fan. It's the most annoying thing, moved away just as people from the area popped up online...

In any case, sort of been posting since before SOS 2010 - I had a really good time there and decided to become a bit more active in the community (admittedly still more active over at Twitter really but hey) - SOS made me realize the fandom isn't all crazy or obsessed on the little details, though I guess I'm getting a bit too old for the good/bad debates on games. In any case, looking forward to see whats in store for today!

Edited by jennytablina

Happy 11th Anniversary to The Sonic Stadium!  Here's to many more anniversaries to come!

I remember the day I first discovered the Sonic Stadium.  Well, not the exact date, but that isn't as important.  The first thing I saw was Dreadknux/Svend in a Sonic the Hedgehog mascot suit.  I thought to myself, "That's the founder?  Awesome!". I was 12 years old at the time.  I had a good feeling about this place.

I joined SSMB when my birthday rolled around.  I don't remember a whole lot; I mainly remember me being immature and getting fussed by mods on more than one occasion.  I slowly reduced myself to a lurker status over the years, then stopped coming completely.  I'm here now mainly due to the Sonic Generations hype, and I hope I'm going to stick around this time!

My absolute fondest memory was the first contest I won here.  It was the "Create a Fake Sonic Game Cheat", with my Svend Chao cheat. :P In fact, here it is..  I ended up winning a Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 guidebook from Svend, and a SatSR hoodie, soundtrack, and yellow Sonic sprite shirt from SEGA Europe.  It was really an honor for me to talk to anyone associated with SEGA, and not something I'll soon forget.

I feel that TSS and SSMB has also really helped me mature and improve my English over the years.  I distinctly remember a post made by Flyboy Fox that explained the difference between "there, their and they're", which I had not understood until I read that post.  I think it was pretty awesome. :D

Godspeed, TSS!

• Thumbs Up 2

I distinctly remember a post made by Flyboy Fox that explained the difference between "there, their and they're", which I had not understood until I read that post. I think it was pretty awesome. biggrin.png

I do not remember that particular incident but it's totally something I would do, oh my XD;;

• Thumbs Up 1

Now THAT I remember! Good times! =D We at least remembered for next time ^^;

I've been here since 2006, even got myself featured on Groovewatch back around then when I sucked a whole lot too with a really bad cover of His World among other things. My username changed about a zillion times, but I was featured under the name of MFZB on it. I wasn't too much of an active poster if I recall but I did post a lot more in the Sonic sections than I do now and probably got into a ton of debates during that time too when I was more "involved" with the franchise as a whole. I doubt anyone would remember me because I changed my name a thousand times, unless of course you go to SFGHQ in which my username was MFZB there for a lot longer than it was here until some halloween shenanigans over there had people changing their names and mine has been changed ever since haha.

Anyway, my fondest memory of the board were the server wipes actually. I managed to get to be number 13 on the entire board (which is my favourite number) so I was pretty stoked on that. My username was Thirteen for a bit too until I got crazy heavy into Desert Punk and such :D. I also thought the fact that everyone was able to come together and behave so nicely under a board that had very little rules right off the bat and was suuuuper chaotic because of the whole mess was really cool. I think that that was my favourite year of SSMB, despite the fact that the server wipe itself wasn't very awesome, but the aftermath bred a very nice community for a long while :). I usually come here now for the latest news on Sonic really more than anything and am more than content just watching many of the discussions rather than jump in since I just don't have the time or energy to devote to those discussions anymore, but sometimes I do miss it.

Here is to another 11 years though!

I'm going to keep remembering odd things as I go, but here's something that really sticks out in my mind as a good memory, mainly because of how bizarre it was. It happens to be a moderation thing. (I think I have a problem here.) Withhold your torches and pitchforks, this story is awesome I swear! XP

I believe this was roughly 2006 and I think it was back in the Sonic Spriters Network subforum, in an Original the Recolour thread. There was an 11-y-o kid doing things an 11-y-o would do, including having crap spelling and grammar, and generally being rude and obnoxious and not appreciating criticism of his OC. This being back in the days when consistently having poor spelling and grammar got you banned if you kept it up, this kid got slapped with a strike by a certain raccoon.

...Then the kid's mother signed onto his account and started chewing Roarey out in public.

So much of this very long conversation is a blur now, but I distinctly recall certain highlights, to paraphrase:

"His spelling and grammar will improve over time as he practices - he's just an 11 year old!"

"I thought this forum was moderated by adults but I see now that I'm dealing with a bunch of immature kids!" (The mods/admins were roughly aged 14-20 at the time.)

"Well, I strike you, sir!"

That strike still stood, by the way, and I don't think that kid was ever seen again. It's funny to think that this kind of thing is even less likely to happen now.

(Man I wish I remembered this better, but I remembered it and it was too awesome not to share.)

• Thumbs Up 1

Remember Username Glow? Half the time threads ended up looking like bad acid trips?

I can say in no uncertain terms that this will be the 8th TSS birthday I will have borne witness to.

Edit: In fact, I still have the e-mails that were sent out when omega13a started doing his "I'mma take down the site for praise and admiration" thing.

Edited by TGaP Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ohhhh actually... I think I have *checks* HO! HO!

Yes I dooooo! I still have the email that Dreadknux sent out on January 18th 2005 to announce the forums re-opening for the new year.

In fact theres one paragraph which is quite interesting...

As for you lurkers, there's really no reason to stand in the sidelines, so come in and join the community for real! We encourage everyone to get involved - and there'll be special rewards for taking part and making friends with fellow Sonic fans very soon as well...

Rewards you say? =)

Oh wait... that was going to be the Smash Cards? Wasn't it?

Edited by Hogfather

Hogfather, why would you post such nostalgia but not post the whole email?

Heya Tornado,

This is Dreadknux here from The Sonic Stadium's Message Board (SSMB). This email is just a quick reminder to those who don't know, that the SSMB has now gone "back to form" as you knew it; we have started to re-open registrations and have a fully dedicated staff that are both friendly and upholding of the rules of the board.

There has been some recent drama of the SSMB "going down": let me assure you this is not the case. The only thing that was wrong with 2004 was the entire year. Before January 2004, the SSMB was the most popular Sonic forum online, originally it was the biggest Sonic Message Board on the internet, bar none. Then we had that server crash. Since then, the rest of that year was only spent rebuilding the community from the shock of losing what we had built as a community. Now that the rebuilding is over, and the year is over, we can look forward to 2005 and the exciting things that will bring. New Sonic games from Sonic Team? Check. Exciting E3 '05? Check. Coverage on The Sonic Stadium? Check. Non-stop fun community chatter on the SSMB Forums? Double-check.

This email's purpose is to inform all the members that a new dawn is beginning on the world's favourite Sonic the Hedgehog forum (...no, you silly billy, the SSMB! ;D), and to wake up all those people who registered some months ago but still haven't made a post. Shame on you. tongue.png

If you're getting this email but you don't remember anything about an 'SSMB', believe me - you've registered. So why don't you come along and see how cool the community is? Of course, you don't have to (.. boring. tongue.png*killed*), but then why did you register in the first place, eh? Try it. You might just like it. First 10 there get a free taco! ... Oh, too late ;D

As for you lurkers, there's really no reason to stand in the sidelines, so come in and join the community for real! We encourage everyone to get involved - and there'll be special rewards for taking part and making friends with fellow Sonic fans very soon as well...

The SSMB is still the best and most exciting place for decent Sonic the Hedgehog discussion - seeings as you registered, be a part of it and support it. Warmest regards for 2005 for all of you - read the SSMB Rules, abide by them and have fun! biggrin.png

Like a taser to the base of the spine, that.

I like the "the only thing wrong with 2004 was all of it" bit at the beginning. Oh, EZ Boards. You so silly.

Edit: Ooh, does everyone remember when Dread and (I think) Roareye did the first live announcements of the SSA? That was quite a thing to listen too.

Edited by TGaP Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 3

I'm new at this forum, but obviously the Stadium is one of the big sites in Sonic fandom. I've lurked around the Sonic fan community for a decade, but I never really joined since I assumed I'd have trouble relating to a message board full of people much younger than me lol. The only place I was ever real active at was Camp Sonic LOL. Obviously, I missed out on some fun times though. Maybe I'll be here for the next big shindig.

So, congratulations to the Stadium. You're good peoples.