The Sonic Stadium's 11th Birthday!

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#41 jennytablina

jennytablina

• TSS Member
  • 428 Posts:

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:28 AM

I'm a much more casual member of the fandom, but much appreciate the Sonic Stadiums part of things, it's sort of become the spiritual sucessor of the ages old "Sonic HQ" which way back was one of the original fandom bases (have a hi-five if you remember that place!)

I think the most uncanny thing is knowing this site originated in Southend where I used to live, I lived there for 12 years and never found another (serious) fan. It's the most annoying thing, moved away just as people from the area popped up online...

In any case, sort of been posting since before SOS 2010 - I had a really good time there and decided to become a bit more active in the community (admittedly still more active over at Twitter really but hey) - SOS made me realize the fandom isn't all crazy or obsessed on the little details, though I guess I'm getting a bit too old for the good/bad debates on games. In any case, looking forward to see whats in store for today!

Edited by jennytablina, 24 October 2011 - 03:32 AM.

#42 Sonaos

Sonaos

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:36 AM

Happy 11th Anniversary to The Sonic Stadium!  Here's to many more anniversaries to come!

I remember the day I first discovered the Sonic Stadium.  Well, not the exact date, but that isn't as important.  The first thing I saw was Dreadknux/Svend in a Sonic the Hedgehog mascot suit.  I thought to myself, "That's the founder?  Awesome!". I was 12 years old at the time.  I had a good feeling about this place.

I joined SSMB when my birthday rolled around.  I don't remember a whole lot; I mainly remember me being immature and getting fussed by mods on more than one occasion.  I slowly reduced myself to a lurker status over the years, then stopped coming completely.  I'm here now mainly due to the Sonic Generations hype, and I hope I'm going to stick around this time!

My absolute fondest memory was the first contest I won here.  It was the "Create a Fake Sonic Game Cheat", with my Svend Chao cheat. :P In fact, here it is..  I ended up winning a Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 guidebook from Svend, and a SatSR hoodie, soundtrack, and yellow Sonic sprite shirt from SEGA Europe.  It was really an honor for me to talk to anyone associated with SEGA, and not something I'll soon forget.

I feel that TSS and SSMB has also really helped me mature and improve my English over the years.  I distinctly remember a post made by Flyboy Fox that explained the difference between "there, their and they're", which I had not understood until I read that post.  I think it was pretty awesome. :D

Godspeed, TSS!

#43 Flyboy Fox

Flyboy Fox

Don't forget to hit the save state back at the post ;)

• Retired Staff
  • 5,670 Posts:

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:44 AM

I distinctly remember a post made by Flyboy Fox that explained the difference between "there, their and they're", which I had not understood until I read that post. I think it was pretty awesome. Posted Image

I do not remember that particular incident but it's totally something I would do, oh my XD;; Back in the early days of my time as a moderator, there was a big crackdown on spelling and grammar, and I do remember devoting a lot of my time to encouraging people to tidy up their posts, before I was very comfortable with doing harder actions (locking topics, handling rule-breakers, making announcements etc). Even now, I prefer a verbal (textual?) approach to moderating, and only take heavier action when absolutely necessary... but I'm not afraid of it any more. Being staff here has done wonders for my confidence, even 'IRL', y'know?

As an aside, it makes me very happy to know that I helped someone with their English. My mum is a teacher and I very nearly became one too XD; Perhaps some people can tell?

#44 Hogfather

Hogfather

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:48 AM

I do not remember that particular incident but it's totally something I would do, oh my XD;;

I remeber it.

I also remeber having a conversation with Flyboy fox for around an hour at SOS 2008, afterwards we both said "Well nice to meet you" then aparently we both turned away and said to the people we were with "Who was that?"

It was only afterwards did we twig who the other was.

That was when SOS was just a table in a room with a CD player on an extension cable. Good times.

#45 Flyboy Fox

Flyboy Fox

Don't forget to hit the save state back at the post ;)

• Retired Staff
  • 5,670 Posts:

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:50 AM

Now THAT I remember! Good times! =D We at least remembered for next time ^^;

#46 Meow

Meow

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:56 AM

I've been here since 2006, even got myself featured on Groovewatch back around then when I sucked a whole lot too with a really bad cover of His World among other things. My username changed about a zillion times, but I was featured under the name of MFZB on it. I wasn't too much of an active poster if I recall but I did post a lot more in the Sonic sections than I do now and probably got into a ton of debates during that time too when I was more "involved" with the franchise as a whole. I doubt anyone would remember me because I changed my name a thousand times, unless of course you go to SFGHQ in which my username was MFZB there for a lot longer than it was here until some halloween shenanigans over there had people changing their names and mine has been changed ever since haha.

Anyway, my fondest memory of the board were the server wipes actually. I managed to get to be number 13 on the entire board (which is my favourite number) so I was pretty stoked on that. My username was Thirteen for a bit too until I got crazy heavy into Desert Punk and such :D. I also thought the fact that everyone was able to come together and behave so nicely under a board that had very little rules right off the bat and was suuuuper chaotic because of the whole mess was really cool. I think that that was my favourite year of SSMB, despite the fact that the server wipe itself wasn't very awesome, but the aftermath bred a very nice community for a long while :). I usually come here now for the latest news on Sonic really more than anything and am more than content just watching many of the discussions rather than jump in since I just don't have the time or energy to devote to those discussions anymore, but sometimes I do miss it.

Here is to another 11 years though!

#47 Velotix von Skruviktorrius

Velotix von Skruviktorrius

In my own mind I'm a superstar!

• TSS Member
  • 1,802 Posts:

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:09 AM

I'm going to keep remembering odd things as I go, but here's something that really sticks out in my mind as a good memory, mainly because of how bizarre it was. It happens to be a moderation thing. (I think I have a problem here.) Withhold your torches and pitchforks, this story is awesome I swear! XP

I believe this was roughly 2006 and I think it was back in the Sonic Spriters Network subforum, in an Original the Recolour thread. There was an 11-y-o kid doing things an 11-y-o would do, including having crap spelling and grammar, and generally being rude and obnoxious and not appreciating criticism of his OC. This being back in the days when consistently having poor spelling and grammar got you banned if you kept it up, this kid got slapped with a strike by a certain raccoon.

...Then the kid's mother signed onto his account and started chewing Roarey out in public.

So much of this very long conversation is a blur now, but I distinctly recall certain highlights, to paraphrase:

"His spelling and grammar will improve over time as he practices - he's just an 11 year old!"

"I thought this forum was moderated by adults but I see now that I'm dealing with a bunch of immature kids!" (The mods/admins were roughly aged 14-20 at the time.)

"Well, I strike you, sir!"

That strike still stood, by the way, and I don't think that kid was ever seen again. It's funny to think that this kind of thing is even less likely to happen now.

(Man I wish I remembered this better, but I remembered it and it was too awesome not to share.)

#48 Tornado

Tornado
  • Steam:TenchiFreak5
  • XBL:TenchiFreak5
  • PSN:TenchiFreak5

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:26 AM

Remember Username Glow? Half the time threads ended up looking like bad acid trips?

I can say in no uncertain terms that this will be the 8th TSS birthday I will have borne witness to.

Edit: In fact, I still have the e-mails that were sent out when omega13a started doing his "I'mma take down the site for praise and admiration" thing.

Edited by TGaP Tornado, 24 October 2011 - 04:33 AM.

#49 Hogfather

Hogfather

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:45 AM

Ohhhh actually... I think I have *checks* HO! HO!

Yes I dooooo! I still have the email that Dreadknux sent out on January 18th 2005 to announce the forums re-opening for the new year.

In fact theres one paragraph which is quite interesting...

As for you lurkers, there's really no reason to stand in the sidelines, so come in and join the community for real! We encourage everyone to get involved - and there'll be special rewards for taking part and making friends with fellow Sonic fans very soon as well...

Rewards you say? =)

Oh wait... that was going to be the Smash Cards? Wasn't it?

Edited by Hogfather, 24 October 2011 - 04:49 AM.

#50 Tornado

Tornado
  • Steam:TenchiFreak5
  • XBL:TenchiFreak5
  • PSN:TenchiFreak5

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:50 AM

Hogfather, why would you post such nostalgia but not post the whole email?

Heya Tornado,

This is Dreadknux here from The Sonic Stadium's Message Board (SSMB). This email is just a quick reminder to those who don't know, that the SSMB has now gone "back to form" as you knew it; we have started to re-open registrations and have a fully dedicated staff that are both friendly and upholding of the rules of the board.

There has been some recent drama of the SSMB "going down": let me assure you this is not the case. The only thing that was wrong with 2004 was the entire year. Before January 2004, the SSMB was the most popular Sonic forum online, originally it was the biggest Sonic Message Board on the internet, bar none. Then we had that server crash. Since then, the rest of that year was only spent rebuilding the community from the shock of losing what we had built as a community. Now that the rebuilding is over, and the year is over, we can look forward to 2005 and the exciting things that will bring. New Sonic games from Sonic Team? Check. Exciting E3 '05? Check. Coverage on The Sonic Stadium? Check. Non-stop fun community chatter on the SSMB Forums? Double-check.

This email's purpose is to inform all the members that a new dawn is beginning on the world's favourite Sonic the Hedgehog forum (...no, you silly billy, the SSMB! ;D), and to wake up all those people who registered some months ago but still haven't made a post. Shame on you. Posted Image

If you're getting this email but you don't remember anything about an 'SSMB', believe me - you've registered. So why don't you come along and see how cool the community is? Of course, you don't have to (.. boring. Posted Image *killed*), but then why did you register in the first place, eh? Try it. You might just like it. First 10 there get a free taco! ... Oh, too late ;D

As for you lurkers, there's really no reason to stand in the sidelines, so come in and join the community for real! We encourage everyone to get involved - and there'll be special rewards for taking part and making friends with fellow Sonic fans very soon as well...

The SSMB is still the best and most exciting place for decent Sonic the Hedgehog discussion - seeings as you registered, be a part of it and support it. Warmest regards for 2005 for all of you - read the SSMB Rules, abide by them and have fun! Posted Image

Like a taser to the base of the spine, that.

I like the "the only thing wrong with 2004 was all of it" bit at the beginning. Oh, EZ Boards. You so silly.

Edit: Ooh, does everyone remember when Dread and (I think) Roareye did the first live announcements of the SSA? That was quite a thing to listen too.

Edited by TGaP Tornado, 24 October 2011 - 04:58 AM.

#51 Crazizzle

Crazizzle

• TSS Member
  • 382 Posts:

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:12 AM

I'm new at this forum, but obviously the Stadium is one of the big sites in Sonic fandom. I've lurked around the Sonic fan community for a decade, but I never really joined since I assumed I'd have trouble relating to a message board full of people much younger than me lol. The only place I was ever real active at was Camp Sonic LOL. Obviously, I missed out on some fun times though. Maybe I'll be here for the next big shindig.

So, congratulations to the Stadium. You're good peoples.

#52 bmn

bmn

my face when ponies

• Root Admin
  • 2,056 Posts:
  • Twitch:gogobmn
  • XBL:gogobmn

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:52 AM

Does TSS still do game reviews? I haven't seen one since like Unleashed.

Certainly does.

I like the "the only thing wrong with 2004 was all of it" bit at the beginning. Oh, EZ Boards. You so silly.

YaBB, actually. The ezboard went byebye mid-'04.

#53 Raxz

Raxz

Sonic the Hedgehog: Thinking since 2003

• TSS Member
  • 186 Posts:

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:11 AM

I haven't even been here long enough to have any more profound memories than silly things like fads and users whom will not be named screwing up the forum for a few hours to a few days.

SSMB Women's Day, lul. When was the exact date of that again? July 10th? And remember the time there was like 3 or 4 different topics about "Should [Character] get their own game?" Those are just a couple of examples of the fads.

#54 Vemus

Vemus

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:29 AM

Hmm, well, I don't post all too often, but I guess I can show some input. Originally I wasn't even part of the site here, I had only been to the site's "official" tinychat because of one Silva Rymes. It was there that I met Ninjashark, Kamicciolo, Serperior, Mimi, Noir, and others. After about a month of being there, I figured why not join the site, it can't be that bad from what Silva's told me. I ended up staying here, moving completely from the Sonic thread on Gaia Online. I haven't been there in a LONG time, heheh. I'm glad I decided to stay too, this place is a lot more friendly than Gaia ever was, and despite how I don't post all too often (I'm more of a lurker in the shadows), I've met some cool people and mods. Anyhow, happy birthday SSMB ^^

#55 The_Kid

The_Kid

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:43 AM

I really only found the forum in 2009, and even then I made a few posts and sort of forgot about this place. It wasn't until last year that I came back and really stayed. There hasn't been anything really that memorable for me since I've been here except stumbling upon a few interesting topics and watching some users get perma-banned due to their own stupidity.

Maybe in a couple years I'll have more concrete memories of this place. Still have that sinking feeling that this place won't be around that long but we'll see.

WE. WILL. SEE.

#56 Wishbone Wolfy

Wishbone Wolfy
  • Steam:Wolfblur
  • NNID:Wolfblur
  • PSN:Wolfblur

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:46 AM

*comes from the shadow in the corner and lights a cigarette*

*cough* It was September 4, 2005. *long-drawn inhale* That's the day I signed my life over to internet.

But yeah, I joined the SSMB then looking for guitar tabs since I was really into doing guitar covers of Sonic songs at the time lawl. Never joined a forum, and didn't really know what it was either, but hot damn those shiny chaos emeralds under people's avatars made me want to post LOL. So over time I got to know some folks, watch them go, and welcome new members. It's really hard to think that I spent 6 years of my life here. That's over a 1/4 of my life span, that's how nuts that is. That said, I don't think I'd be the same person I am today with out this site, so I really owe it one.

So grats SSMB! My soul really does still belong to you, =D!

#57 Ruby Havoc

Ruby Havoc

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:09 AM

Well I really didn't get into the internet until 2007(well 2006 to be exact) so I didn't have any knowledge of this place until around 2008, back when Sonic Unleashed was the hottest thing.
I joined in 09( like only a few hours after that whole wipeout of the boards no less) but didn't post until last year do to " things that really shouldn't have bothered me at the time". But yeah I'm glad I did. This can be quite the fun place to talk about Sonic and the like. Happy birthday Stadium!

#58 Voyant

Voyant

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:17 AM

Man I been lingering around the stadium since 2005....sad though as I really didn't start coming out and expressing myself till Unleashed came out...lol back then I was known as Chaotic!!! and had this weird fixation with Dark Super Sonic.

Unleashed days were the best days I ever had at this place...I miss those days so much...any happy B-day SSMB/TSS and I hope your still around when I'm 32 in 10 years and I have kids and shit possibly.

What? Like I'm gonna ever stop playing Sonic....hahah even at 32 I'ma be spanking my kids in Sonic games ;P

Edited by V0YANT, 24 October 2011 - 08:19 AM.

#59 Marcello

Marcello
  • NNID:MarcelloF

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:02 AM

I've only been around for 2 years...

My best memories here are either the pre-Sonic 4 announcement contests and it's last few hours or the E3/TGS Press-Conference topics.

Happy Birthday!

Edited by MarcelloF, 24 October 2011 - 10:03 AM.

#60 JonoD

JonoD

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:35 AM

Wow... TSS HAS been around for a long time hasn't it?

The earliest memories I have coming here are from around late 2004 when all the hype surrounding Shadow the Hedgehog was just starting up (and that initial trailer had made us all scratch our heads in bewilderment).

I only went and joined the boards back in 2008 following Unleashed's release. If I remember rightly... I wanted a board to sign up to so I could voice my opinions on the game... and out of all of the ones I knew of back then, SSMB put me off the least XD.

Heres hoping it will continue to be around for a long time and congratulations to TSS staff!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users