Awoo.

The Sonic Generations Review Topic

Carbo

Hahaha Uncharted 3 actually flopped on gamespot too it was hyped to be a 10 and got a 9....

People are saying they might not get it...this is what the gaming community has become.

What!?! Are you kidding me?! Uncharted 3 looks fantastic! This gaming community has offically gone to hell :-/

• Thumbs Up 5

If anything I think this story will have Unleashed's atmosphere just no where near as bland and lifeless since these writers can do good characterization.

Edited by V0YANT

Well I am one of those people who prefer Storybook and Adventure writting. What I hate about Colors is that cutscene feel pointless compared to other lightearted platformers with jokes. Ratchet and Clank is good example (Jak And Daxter too but its more serious) in R&C games (Future series) I actually laugh durning cutscenes. Cutscenes were funny but they didnt lose their reason (making story progress) If I could do it then I would change Colors writers to R&C Future series writers (at least for jokes. I still prefer Adventures/Storybook writers tho). In Colors cutscenes are well... Pointless. Boss cutscenes are good example.

More than often, games don't build around the writers. It's the writers that build around the game. Sonic Colors doesn't host a goldmine of possibilities in terms of what is possible to execute in writing, and considering what they had to deal with, it was a pretty solid success that wasn't out of this world, but a consistent tone that could be enjoyed by anyone.

Even considering the brevity of what the story of Generations is putting at stake, you can't exactly weave out an Adventure 2 out of a premise that is set to rebuild historic Sonic levels and revisit memories, apart from a huge slew of nostalgia bombs and fanservice.

• Thumbs Up 5

Well, I'll be the weird one and say that SA2's story at the time, along with the coolness of the characters, is what peeled me away from Mario around 10 years ago. ._. Yes, the stories are part of the reason I play Sonic games, especially the main series ones. I know that's looked down upon these days for whatever reason, but meh.

OK...well, I stand corrected tongue.png

I'll just leave this discussion with this song:

I'm sorry but I disagree. If people don't care about the story then that doesn't mean that Sega shouldn't put any effort into it and I hate that people say that "Mario doesn't have a story so Sonic shouldn't have one either!" Well Sonic isn't Mario and he shouldn't always follow behide his footsteps. That's why there's a skip button for people who don't care for story in cutscenes.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 4

Even considering the brevity of what the story of Generations is putting at stake, you can't exactly weave out an Adventure 2 out of a premise that is set to rebuild historic Sonic levels and revisit memories, apart from a huge slew of nostalgia bombs and fanservice.

This...so this.

Your playing a game where confetti blows up around you when Sonic does his finishing trick...this isn't a game that supposed to be super compelling and plot driven its a game focused on celebration. Having a stroy tone like the Adventures in this game would be a bit unfitting considering the tone they are setting out to achieve in this game.

You don't go to birthday party and aspect the atmosphere to be like Titanic or the Crank movies.

Edited by V0YANT
  • Thumbs Up 1

Exactly.Colors brought Sonic stories to their funny 90s roots,back when Sonic wasn't generic anime hero #23.That's why most critics liked it.

Which of these feel more like a Sonic cutscene:

That's why i can't understand these reviews.Anyone noticed that they just say the story is moronic without explaining why. They just wanted something to complain about.

It would make more sense if you compared two cutscenes featuring Sonic. It stands to reason that the villains' side of the story would feel a little different. Regardless, I think people need to accept that their opinions about the narrative can and will differ from those of others' and just agree to disagree. This endless back and forth argument gets us nowhere.

EDIT: Ninja'd for taking a long-arse time to post.

Edited by Lungo

OK...well, I stand corrected tongue.png

It's alright, at the end of the day it all comes down to what the majority wants. If cutting down on the story is what'll get this series recognition again, then I'm all for it. Still I must admit though that as the stories get simpler, my interest in the franchise will continue to whittle away little by little, as one of my reasons for getting into the series is slowly drifting away, just like I lost my interest in Mario despite the quality of his games, and only play Mario games every once in awhile nowadays.

Still, here's hoping for some fantastic gameplay. That's what's really important here.

Edited by Inferno

Well I am one of those people who prefer Storybook and Adventure writting. What I hate about Colors is that cutscene feel pointless compared to other lightearted platformers with jokes. Ratchet and Clank is good example (Jak And Daxter too but its more serious) in R&C games (Future series) I actually laugh durning cutscenes. Cutscenes were funny but they didnt lose their reason (making story progress) If I could do it then I would change Colors writers to R&C Future series writers (at least for jokes. I still prefer Adventures/Storybook writers tho). In Colors cutscenes are well... Pointless. Boss cutscenes are good example.

Well none of the reveiws specifically tell us what about the story was so bad. The story could easily be bad because it derived from SA1 and SA2, which both had insanely atrocious dialogue, made worse by the fact that it was trying to be serious. Or it could be bad because it was being deliberately kiddy and having kiddy dialogue like Colours.

Dialogue in Sonic games has never been good. I can find at least 1 moment in any Sonic game which made my toes curl with how utterly garbage the writing was. And that includes SA2, Black Knight etc.

Complaining about how the story in this game is so bad, implies that the stories have actually been good. As far as I'm concerned, at least in terms of dialogue, they never have been.

EDIT:

Colours' Story was also much better received critically than any of the stories that came before it. Mostly because whilst it was cringeworthy, it was at the very least self-aware. The problem with the pre-Colours stories, was that they were trying to be serious, but were still cringeworthy, which leaves a much sourer taste in the mouth.

Edited by Scar

Well none of the reveiws specifically tell us what about the story was so bad. The story could easily be bad because it derived from SA1 and SA2, which both had insanely atrocious dialogue, made worse by the fact that it was trying to be serious. Or it could be bad because it was being deliberately kiddy and having kiddy dialogue.

Now that I think about...we haven't had someone actually explain why right? I would totally laugh if this game actually went a bit on the serious side of things and that the reason why its "cringe worthy" and "pointless". Making this entire argument pretty moot. Colors writers do have the ability to do shit like this...and now I'm worried that perhaps they took our advice too much to account.

From the cutscene screen shots though...I have a big feeling this is the case...considering from just looking at them I could tell the tone was a bit different compared to Colors.

Edited by V0YANT

So how did a review topic turn into a Sonic story topic?

On topic: Just got this month's Game informer. Nothing about sonic. Seems like next issue is it then.

Edited by Eternal BOOOOOOOSH

Because people keep bringing it up when we don't really know anything about the story to discuss about.

Edited by sonfan1984

Because people used two review's dislike of the story as yet another reason to bash on the writers.

Dialogue in Sonic games has never been good. I can find at least 1 moment in any Sonic game which made my toes curl with how utterly garbage the writing was. And that includes SA2, Black Knight etc.

Sonic 1, 2, CD, and 3K would like to have a word with you prove you wrong.

• Thumbs Up 4

Because the wait is killing us and we need to bitch about something.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic 1, 2, CD, and 3K would like to have a word with you prove you wrong.

I think he's talking about in the 3D games that has actual cutscenes and full voice acting.

I think he's talking about in the 3D games that has actual cutscenes and full voice acting.

I know, but I'm just messing around. =P

It's only natural for the conversation to have a few twists and turns when more reviews haven't come in yet. When you get right down to it, we're kinda still on topic, considering this current convo stems from a reviewer's comments on the story.

But like, I guess it is time to simmer down some. Guess we are starting to get into off topic territory..

*waits for more reviews*

• Thumbs Up 4

Yeah peeps, drag this thing back on topic now yeah, if you want to talk about other things then find/make other topics XP.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll just leave this discussion with this song:

Congratulations, you've managed to find something even more cringe-worthy then BBBE. Now I can appreciate Colors' story to its full extent.

It's alright, at the end of the day it all comes down to what the majority wants. If cutting down on the story is what'll get this series recognition again, then I'm all for it. Still I must admit though that as the stories get simpler, my interest in the franchise will continue to whittle away little by little, as one of my reasons for getting into the series is slowly drifting away, just like I lost my interest in Mario despite the quality of his games, and only play Mario games every once in awhile nowadays.

Still, here's hoping for some fantastic gameplay. That's what's really important here.

I feel the exact same way. The story is a reason that Sonic Adventure 2 is my favorite game in the series. Having that game as a favorite is often looked down upon, but I show my tastes loud and proud. It's something that separated Sonic from Mario back then, and is a reason I was never a big Mario fan because I just thought it was badass how edgy Sonic felt like. Sonic should always have this edgy feeling and well, I hate to sound like that 11 year old kid trying to fit in, but the light hearted atmosphere, combined with its moronic jokes and simplistic story, just isn't as appealing anymore.

And really, I'm not going to get angry over it, but I probably will never be into Sonic as much as I was before. But that's what happens when a series changes. I would be the happiest person ever if we could EVER see something that gives off the kind of feeling this video gives off.

• Thumbs Up 1

Exactly.Colors brought Sonic stories to their funny 90s roots,back when Sonic wasn't generic anime hero #23.That's why most critics liked it.

Which of these feel more like a Sonic cutscene:

This:

or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmclkUKitdQ

That's why i can't understand these reviews.Anyone noticed that they just say the story is moronic without explaining why. They just wanted something to complain about.

Ive been playing sonic games since the begining and id pick the SA2 cutscene because i liked its story more and it had a good mixture of dark and light story elements.

I still like colors but the story would be a little less light hearted, but only a little.

And really, I'm not going to get angry over it, but I probably will never be into Sonic as much as I was before. But that's what happens when a series changes. I would be the happiest person ever if we could EVER see something that gives off the kind of feeling this video gives off.

sonicg3.jpg

On topic: So... IGN's review's on Friday, right?