Awoo.

The Sonic Generations Review Topic

Carbo

One paragraph review? Screenshot of the wrong game?

Well... it's certainly nice to see that people put in a great amount of effort into their reviews for games that aren't shooters... or Batman. Way to treat the "little guys" just as fairly as everyone else. Great job! ^__^

Edited by V0YANT

If you're a fan of the genre, you should add a point to the review. If you're a fan of the series, add a point and a half. That's usually how I've looked at things. As a platformer fan, I look at Kirby getting an 8 and think MUST HAVE. A non platformer junkie would see it as good, and not a must have.

So, an 8.5 Generations review screams must have to a Sonic fan like me.

Objectively speaking, a 8,5 is not bad when you put sonic generations next to other games.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the game get 7's however

a 7 for visuals is quite accurate though.

If you're a fan of the genre, you should add a point to the review. If you're a fan of the series, add a point and a half. That's usually how I've looked at things. As a platformer fan, I look at Kirby getting an 8 and think MUST HAVE. A non platformer junkie would see it as good, and not a must have.

This implies a "everyone is out to get me" attitude that I quite frankly do not think exists the overwhelming majority of the time.

• Thumbs Up 2

Um, no. It has nothing to do with people "out to get me". A racing game that gets an 8 is more likely to appeal to racing fans as excellent then gamers in general. It's pretty simple in regards to criticism of art. In fact,old review scales used to say scores of 7's meant "good for fans of the genre". I didn't create this idea, it's nothing new. Review scores are aimed at the general market, people who are into certain types of games will naturally have an inflated opinion of games within a certain genre.

This applies in reverse. I'm not a big fan of action games, so I really only check them out if they're 8.5 and up. I'll check out platformers and RPG's that are 7's though, as a fan of the genre. I'm speaking in terms of the subjectivity that we all have as gamers. We all take reviews with a certain degree of skepticism, and it's reasonable (when trying to decide what appeals to you) to understand that the general consensus of gaming is not your opinion.

And yeah, it's not perfect. I love RPG's, but thought Final Fantasy XIII was meh.

Edited by Crazizzle
  • Thumbs Up 1

The problem being that the reviews are already generally written by (and therefore based on the opinions of) reviewers who are fans of the genre (gaming sites and magazines generally don't hand off Final Fantasy games to sports reviewers, for example), and thus those "corrections" are unnecessary, and thus they are the result of a "they are out to get me" mentality. You also show a critical misunderstanding of what the phrase "good for fans of the genre" actually means (It merely means that it is unlikely to attract the attention of those who weren't already considering the game. It does not mean that people who are interested in the genre will automatically find it better than others), which is probably where your perceptions come from.

Edited by TGaP Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

The problem being that the reviews are already generally written by (and therefore based on the opinions of) reviewers who are fans of the genre (gaming sites and magazines generally don't hand off Final Fantasy games to sports reviewers, for example), and thus those "corrections" are unnecessary, and thus they are the result of a "they are out to get me" mentality. You also show a critical misunderstanding of what the phrase "good for fans of the genre" actually means (It merely means that it is unlikely to attract the attention of those who weren't already considering the game. It does not mean that people who are interested in the genre will automatically find it better than others), which is probably where your perceptions come from.

Don't want to get in the generic "Defend the Reviewers" argument, but games nowadays are not solely intergected to people who are interested in set franchise or genre...some places might be like that, but not everywhere.

Also you seem to be going a bit "Up in Arms" and doing a lot of assuming. Writing a paragraph about Sonic Generations and then putting a 3DS screen for an example of the game when its a Playstation 3 review is a perfect of what I'm talking about.

There some people who are going to review the game that don't really give a fuck...and personally as a person giving out professional crtical views of the game..I expect...you know... profession. There no excuses for stuff like that when your word is consider mightier than the general public.

None!

Edited by V0YANT

I was just checkin' Sonic Wikia(or News Network) and they had this posted at the reviews article:

In issue 270 of Empire magazine they had the first review of Sonic Generations. they gave it 4 Stars out of 5 and said "Generations is a delirious race down memory lane, only let down by a moronic story that makes the movie sequences a toe-curling embarrassment.".

So, 2 reviews so far have complained about the story? What the...

only let down by a moronic story that makes the movie sequences a toe-curling embarrassment.".

*raises fist to the sky*

"Colors Writeeeeers!!" >8U

• Thumbs Up 7

I was just checkin' Sonic Wikia(or News Network) and they had this posted at the reviews article:

In issue 270 of Empire magazine they had the first review of Sonic Generations. they gave it 4 Stars out of 5 and said "Generations is a delirious race down memory lane, only let down by a moronic story that makes the movie sequences a toe-curling embarrassment.".

Nobody likes Sonic stories really.

This one has had a throwaway plot from the beginning. It only exists to tie together all the random jumping from era to era, game to game.

Toe-curlingly embarassing is dependant on the person. If people dislike self-referential humour, they they ain't gon' like it.

Don't want to get in a "Defend the Reviewers arguments", but games nowadays are not solely intergected to people who are interested in set franchise or genre...some places might be like that, but not everywhere.

Have no idea what you are trying to say here.

Also you seem to be going a bit "Up in Arms"

He stated what I find to be an inaccuracy. I'm telling him why I find that to be the case. Call it what you want.

and doing a lot off assuming.

ohwow.jpg

Writing a paragraph about Sonic Generations and then putting a 3DS screen for an example of the game is a perfect idea of what I'm talking about.

There some people who are going to review the game that don't really give a fuck...and personally as a person giving out professional crtical views of the game..I expect...you know... profession.

Neither of these things have anything to do with what I'm talking about, nor with Crazizzle's initial assertion.

I'm really interested to see why the story is supposed to be just so bad.

Edited by Neon

I love how we are already starting to RAGE over 2 reviews. Lets wait for other ones before we say much more.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmm so I guess they traded off the story for gameplay again. Oh well. The 4 out of 5 is good anyways.

Edited by Torcano Sanctuary

I don't understand why you're being so condescending and dismissive. I'm just speaking in regards to the fact that I only like three genres of games, so a lot of games I view as 9's would be viewed(by someone into more styles of games) as 7's or 8's. Like Unleashed was generally a 7 at best to many gamers, but to me it ranked higher since I don't play games that might be considered objectively better.

You also show a critical misunderstanding of what the phrase "good for fans of the genre" actually means (It merely means that it is unlikely to attract the attention of those who weren't already considering the game. It does not mean that people who are interested in the genre will automatically find it better than others), which is probably where your perceptions come from.

No, I get that entirely. In fact, I have thought that all along. I'm not an idiot. Of course, no review means someone will "automatically" like a game. Not even a 10/10. Subjectivity exists for a reason. All I'm saying is that all reviews exist in comparison to other games. Games rate higher or lower based on their competition. If Sonic Generations is, in your eyes, being compared to Uncharted and Modern Warfare and other high quality AAA titles than the game might rate as an 8/10. If, however, the roster of games it compares to in your mind is limited to what you play...it's competition this season is limited to games like Kirby's Dreamland and the like. So, your personal view of the game would be higher due to facing less competition.

And it's objectively true that mascot platformers other than Mario games get max scores of about 8.5 nowadays. I'm just saying that 8.5 means it's an excellent platformer and one of the best in it's genre this year...along with Kirby. Does Mario 3D land come out this year? I can't remember.

I don't want to argue, though. Let's let it be, c'est la vie.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, the story IS moronic in many ways. I'm not even going to list all that nonsense.

We WILL get out 9's, I'm sure of it. Have no worries, guys.

Edited by ArtFenix

That's because the story is not dark and deep as my friend T-Man would saytongue.png

Cartoony tone in a game with cartoony looking characters is bad apparently...

>Complain about dark stories in Sonic games

>SEGA gives light-hearted stories

>Complains about light-hearted stories in Sonic games

WHAT DO YOU GUYS WANT!?

I want a balance of both. That's like, literally all I want. Not complaining though....much

• Thumbs Up 4

I probably phrased my comments poorly out of the fact that I'm just rushing my posts and I wasn't trying to be clear, it's all good. It's all entirely offtopic, as well. I think the reviews thus far are excellent and full of valid criticisms. It won't lessen my enjoyment of the game, but we all value different things in our games.

Just looking at numbers isn't enough. Soak up the pro's and cons, read what is being said, If you don't value storylines, then a weak story won't lessen your experience. Don't just get caught up in thinking that someone else's priorities match yours. Subjectively, we're all different.

Edited by Crazizzle