Awoo.

The Sonic Generations Review Topic

Carbo

Lets see...

Awesome Gameplay...

Deeper Story...

hmmm...

I'l take the gameplay thank you very much!

• Thumbs Up 6

Actually I've got Biology exam in like 10 hours and I should learn but after I saw some comments here I just need to speak.

WHAT THE FUCK DOES GAMEPLAY HAVE TO STORY!!! Story is done by writers and gameplay by gameplay designers. Now tell me whats better? Great gameplay+no-complex/lazy/Bad written story or Great Gameplay+Great/Deep/Well written Story? The latter makes game better because you dont lose anything from gameplay but you add great story to the mix. WE DONT HAVE TO CHOOSE PEOPLE!!! Next time some people need to think before posting.

Why are we talking about the story so much anyway. We still don't know how the tone is except a couple of reviewers didn't like it (that should be expected) but they didn't explain why with no detail so we're just assuming that the story will be like Colors. I'm holding my judgement until I get the game or hear from more reviewers that explains why.

Edited by sonfan1984

This is stupid. Neither rules out the other.

For me no its isn't...if the games reverted back to story telling like in did in the classics with pantomime expression. I wouldn't care as long as it was decent. Gameplay is what been lacking in Sonic...NOT story.

In the end of the day you can have Sub Par story and still have a game that you can replay and have fun with. Compared to a shitty game at levels of 06 in gameplay quality, but still have a great story. Great gameplay can make up for some short comings in other areas...look at Mario in terms of story telling in its main titles as a great example.

It would be different if Sonic series was story driven like Dues Ex or something, but its not.

Now would it be great to have BOTH? HELL YES! But one is indeed more important than the other. To me at least.

Edited by V0YANT

Why can't we have both great gameplay and a great story? ;<; Why is it only one or the other?

I agree there is no reason why one of the two should not be included as much because in the end both are important and are a part of the game.

Reviews are pretty positive so far. Nothing incredibly outstanding, but at least, so far, it looks like it will do at least as good as Colors. So yeah.

Now I'm just eager to see what IGN gives it........

Gamespot for me. They seem to be the toughest to please, what with giving Unleashed a 3.5, so I sorta see them as the "final boss" as far as reviews go, and I nearly had a heart attack when they gave Colors an 8.0.

Can't wait to see what they rate Generations.

Stories in Sonic games are serious business, apparently.

I don't care either way, a good and bad story is subjective as far as I'm concerned, if the story is good, bravo, if its not, I still have gameplay to have fun with.

What I'm trying to say is: Move the fuck on and enjoy the rest of the game, story is like what? a third of the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

To be honest I'm going to be very neutral with this game review wise...and hype everything at an AA level...I don't think we going to get sprinkled scores with this one. On the Wii its easier to achieve because the Wii has lower standards than consoles.

People thought Colors was good "for a wii game" (Thinking from general gamer perspective). HD Console wise I can't tell were the scores are going...I don't think C. Sonic is good enough to get some people to care enough, but we shall see.

Edited by V0YANT

For me no its isn't...if the games reverted back to story telling like in did in the classics with pantomime expression. I wouldn't care as long as it was decent. Gameplay is what been lacking in Sonic...NOT story.

In the end of the day you can have Sub Par story and still have a game that you can replay and have fun with. Compared to a shitty game at levels of 06 in gameplay quality, but still have a great story. Great gameplay can make up for some short comings in other areas...look at Mario in terms of story telling in its main titles as a great example.

It would be different if Sonic series was story driven like Dues Ex or something, but its not.

Now would it be great to have BOTH? HELL YES! But one is indeed more important than the other. To me at least.

Actually, it depends on the game itself. Cinematic games that focus largely on storyline would be garbage if the storyline was bad, because it's such an integral part of the game. Could you imaging if a game like Heavy Rain (for example) had a terrible stroyline? It just wouldn't be enjoyable at all.

However, as regards to the Sonic fanbase I would still favour gameplay over storyline since although there are a lot of cutscenes, we don't really need to know what happens in the story to enjoy the game properly.

I know it could actually be their opinion, but the more I read "oh god the story is so awful cringe-worthy ugh" from reviewers, the more I get the idea that they're just looking at other previous Sonic game reviews and copy-pasting.

Really anticipating seeing the IGN & Gamespot reviews. Also somewhat willing to see the Gameinformer one for the sake of some hurr and durring.

• Thumbs Up 2

I bet if the game didn't tell the player to hold the X-Button for a Boost, it would score some points lower.

Edited by ChikaBoing

I wonder what Gametrailers are going to give Generations as I recall they gave low scores to Unleashed (HD) and Colo(u)rs (Wii Version) I can't remember what they got I know it was low/medium score though.The DS version of Colors got higher and I think they gave Shadow The Hedgehog a high/decent score too (8.0) at least I think that's what they gave them...

Could you imaging if a game like Heavy Rain (for example) had a terrible stroyline? It just wouldn't be enjoyable at all.

Heavy Rain looks like an awesome rated R movie then a video game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Heavy Rain looks like an awesome rated R movie then a video game.

Not as good as Metal Gear Soild 4...now THAT my friends...was a great "Movie". :V

Anyway yeah Silent I do agree with you...but in this case Sonic isn't something that story driven...so its not so much a priority for me.

Edited by V0YANT
  • Thumbs Up 1

wut.

Isn't the story for this game here just to give Sonic a reason to go back to old levels?

That's exactly what it is.

Just like how fighting games give a lame reason for everyone to want to beat the crap out of each other.

And as you mentioned, Mario's stories are just an excuse for to go on what ever adventure he's going on.

This is just giving us another reason as to why Classic Sonic and his stages are intertwining with Modern's world, and vice versa.

Colors was very light in story, and was a departure in the traditional Sonic story that we've gotten used to since the classics, since it was more like a Saturday morning cartoon. And that worked imo and the script while some say it fell flat I felt it was really well written compared to past Sonic's that stumbled upon translation, I don't really know if I want another DBZ Sonic game story. I would like to see the characters represented in a good way. I think Generations will be as light as Colors.

But on topic:

I really can't wait to buy this along side Uncharted 3 next week. My life will be complete.

Regardless of the review scores, I know I will enjoy the game, but hopefully some reviews don't scare anyone away.

If Genera

I'm not going to worry too much about the story until we get a review that devotes more than a sentence to the subject. It's the aspect of the game that I'm most interested to hear about in reviews because... well, it's pretty much the only bit that hasn't been trailered to death.

There's really no Sonic game in existence that I'd say had a legitimately good story anyway, though (I love 'em to death, but you know it's true), so unless Generations' is uncommonly poor I doubt I'll be terribly disappointed. An actually great story is always something I hope for in a Sonic game, but my ultimate enjoyment never hinges on it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I want to bring something up that I'm surprised no one said anything...but one of those reviews stated that there are indeed skills that improves rolling....if that is true...

I will laugh so hard...

I want to bring something up that I'm surprised no one said anything...but one of those reviews stated that there are indeed skills that improves rolling....if that is true...

I will laugh so hard...

Strange I didn't notice that one. I did notice the one that allowed for Sonic to more easily run up slopes.

I just want to be able to upgrade Classic Sonic's jumping. I can deal with shitty rolling, but the jump is way too short and heavy.