Awoo.

The Sonic Generations Review Topic

Carbo

I was kind of saying that I want it to be genuinely hard if it's gonna be challenging, not cheap stuff that just fucks you over because there's no way to react to it first time or whatever.

Yeah, challenge is GREAT and VERY rewarding if done correctly.

Edited by KrazyBean14

It says UNLOCKABLEEESS!!!

SO it's gonna be like those unlockable videos we got in unleashed but maybe something else I'm not too sure yet untill we see for ourselfs but those are not cutscene videos since they would have more for than that.

Also good score is good not that care roll on 1st of Nov for soundtrack rip & 4th of Nov for the game =D

jesus talk about BAWWW WTF SEGA lo

But werent most on unleashed videos considered unlockable since you had to find video tapes? I am happy about the good scores though.

Man, this is the first time I've ever followed a game from announcement to release so in-depth. The day is almost here... But as for the reviews, solid start no doubt about it. I've been expecting 8-9's, so two 8.5's right off the bat is pretty cool. Now, to many of us this will be our game of the year because we're Sonic fans. Don't be surprised to see some negative reviews. Different strokes for different folks.

Pretty sure they mean 13 unlockable videos that aren't cutscene related. If I remember correctly, the amount of cutscenes was exposed in the first demo leak, and that number was much higher

That is true.

The 13 might be special videos. There are more cutscenes than that.

I guess i didnt think my reply through vary well. Hopefully the rest of the reviews will be good to.

Every boss has cutscenes before and after, you add the intro and ending...that's 14 cutscenes already. So yeah, there are more than 13 cutscenes.

A 7 for graphics? The Hedgehog Engine is a damn impressive piece of hardware! An 8 or 9 would've been better. Hell, I think it's better looking than Battlefield 3. It's a shame the HE can't run at 100% on consoles because it's so damn powerful and advanced.

LOL, people at the SEGA Forums want to sue videogameszone.de for their review because they gave Sonic Generations an 85%...LMAO!

When was 85% a horrible score? People need to work on their judgement skills.

It's pretty much because most people seem to have this mindset that anything below a 9 or 90% isn't worth their time and is shit.

Anyone else remember the Twilight Princess 8.8 fiasco?

A 7 for graphics? The Hedgehog Engine is a damn impressive piece of hardware! An 8 or 9 would've been better. Hell, I think it's better looking than Battlefield 3. It's a shame the HE can't run at 100% on consoles because it's so damn powerful and advanced.

It's so unrefined and not all that advanced, THAT's why it struggles. How much do you actually know about graphical engines, outside of what you know about the HE?

Also, it's not hardware.

• Thumbs Up 1

This game's low end, barring an anomalous review or two, will be in the eights. Remember, these reviews come from Xbox magazines right? Not exactly hotbeds for platforming fandom.

The real test for this will be IGN and sites like that which routinely review platformers and have a fondness for classic games. You can compare the score against Mario titles, which will be interesting. XBox reviewers probably see great sound as "epic orchestral music" and whatever. I want the multi-platform folks looking at this.

This game's low end, barring an anomalous review or two, will be in the eights. Remember, these reviews come from Xbox magazines right? Not exactly hotbeds for platforming fandom.

The real test for this will be IGN and sites like that which routinely review platformers and have a fondness for classic games. You can compare the score against Mario titles, which will be interesting. XBox reviewers probably see great sound as "epic orchestral music" and whatever. I want the multi-platform folks looking at this.

Yeah, I just really want to see IGN's review...and I think we'll get a review from them THIS FRIDAY since you Americans are getting it next Tuesday (lucky)

Where's Voyant's old signature, we need to adjust it to accommodate for gamer mentality as well.

I'm expecting 8.0s and 9.0s across the board, a lot more of the former than for the latter, a few 7s, and even fewer 9.1+s. The game is by no means perfect, but it does everything nicely with little problems. The 8.5s today reflect that, and I'm not disappointed at all.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sterling liked the good half of Unleashed, didn't he? I'll be cautiously optimistic, considering he usually hates great games.

So we get an average game according to reviews! Nooooooo....seriously though this is hilarious.

Anyway looks good and i just noticed the 13 unlockable vids. Really curious to see what it will be.

8.5 seems like a good score so far :) not bad, I'm puzzled though why are some people upset over the score? it's not like it scored a 4.5 or 3.9, some people are acting like it got that type of score. If you think this is a bad score then this only the beginning there are many reviews comming which could be even worse than this but also good reviews around the corner. unsure.png Expect the worse but hope for the best, the game won't be perfect and it won't include everything expected but it will include most things that a lot of fans love. I'm expecting many 8.0s and 9.0s inbetween...and possibly a couple of 7's.

The bitching seems to be centered around Graphics getting a 7, or Music getting an 8...not the overall score. It reminds me of when Unleashed got a bad score for music in the Unleashed review. A lot of people thought it was odd, since the music was loved by most Sonic fans.

That's why compartmentalized scores are bigger headaches then they are worth, it's even MORE subjective than anything else gaming wise.

To be honest nowadays the standards of gaming has raised this year due to all the great games that have been coming out. So an 8.5 would have been considered a 9 last year. Take it what you will.

For example Videogame Zone gave Dues Ex: Human Revolution an 88% so this game got 3% lower than Dues Ex. If anything is ALMOST as good as Dues Ex and its Sonic related people will notice lol.

What I find even funnier are people who freak out when a game is given too high a score. Case in point, I rated Rise of Nightmares a B+. It was a legitimately fun game with that kooky SEGA originality found in games like Seaman, Typing of the Dead and Space Channel 5. But no, B+ was too much because it's a Kinect game and Kinect games deserve F's. Lesson learned: you can never satisfy anybody with a review, fanboys are still alive and well and the internet is serious business.

• Thumbs Up 3

If you're a fan of the genre, you should add a point to the review. If you're a fan of the series, add a point and a half. That's usually how I've looked at things. As a platformer fan, I look at Kirby getting an 8 and think MUST HAVE. A non platformer junkie would see it as good, and not a must have.

So, an 8.5 Generations review screams must have to a Sonic fan like me.

Edited by Crazizzle
  • Thumbs Up 1

D:

modern_x_classic_quickie_by_segamew-d3dp3wz.png

But seriously, I expected/hoped that the game would get ratings in the range of 8-8.5. If it gets more, then great. If it gets less, then... that's a shame, but we're off to a promising start. :]

mellow.png Uh...I think I need a shower.

Edited by KrazyBean14
  • Thumbs Up 1

Think I'll postpone the review roller coaster for a bit. See you all in a week.

Edited by Balding Spider

In terms of reviews I think the game is doing pretty well. Expecting more and a couple 9's.

Edited by Torcano Sanctuary

silversunset23 in the TSS comments says PlayStation The Official Magazine (don't know if it's the UK one, the US one or elsewhere) has given the game an 8/10.

Playstation the Official Magazine had a short review for the game in their december issue. They gave it an 8 out of 10, but since it was around a one-paragraph review there isn’t anything specific on why it was marked down, just all positive. One odd thing about it is that for some reason they used a screenshot of mushroom hill, aka a 3DS stage.