Awoo.

Modern/Unleashed/Colours gameplay AS OF GENERATIONS.

Chaos Warp

Because the SDD is just a more Sonic-y animation for the drift, and the spin-dash itself is something different all-together? Also, Spin-dash/Momentum rolling has been a signature part of Sonic's gameplay, and I I want it to make an appearance again?

Well instead of going after the slide, why not have Sonic spindash to start a Boost? Boost basically has the same role as classic Sonic's spindash anyway. Think of it like a "charge-less" spindash I guess....

Bah that doesn't sound right. I just like it as it is now, though they could add it to his movelist (crouch+jump)

As regards to the Spindash Drift shenanigans from the last page, I think you guys may need to actually think of it as a proper car drift. Even from the demo, I found that the drift worked kinda like a car drift. It depends on where in the curve you use it. A general rule with drifting in racing games is to start from the outside of the curve and work your way in. It depends entirely on the positioning of the drift.

Me? I find it's the best drift ever. Colours' was tight, but totally worthless and kinda sluggish. Unleashed's was kinda sloppy. This just feels and LOOKS awesome XD

Because i don't actually own the game, and Green Hill Zone is the only staged i've played and is played at full throttle due to lack of turning, i can't really tell you what i think of Sonic's general controlling fro experience. However, it looks extremely tight and satisfying in stages like Seaside Hill and Sky Sanctuary from what i've seen. The quickstep was pretty much only used on, like, three (main level, i dunno about missions) occasions on this game which goes to show that we can live without it. The drift also sounds like it takes a lot of skill to use, which helps create a gap between true blue speedrunners and just core players. All in all, it all seems pretty good. Expect the need for spindash.

I was thinking, and balancing the spindash and the boost is completely doable. The spindash can be used as much as you want but requires a slope to make full functioning out of. The boost is self-propelling but you need to have your gauge filled the tiniest but to be able to do it. The boost can be altered to have a set speed (i know everyone wants it to work more like an actual boost, but this works better if we want the spindash around) so that it is the fastest medium of travel uphill, but rolling and the spindash are a lot faster on the downhill and for a while on any flat land after a downhill. So just by tweaking the boost a tad bit more, we can slap the spindash in there and we're looking pretty good!

BrainScratch dudes made an impressions vid. These guys are extremely entertaining in general. If you haven't subbed to them, DO IT NAO!!

• Thumbs Up 2

Because i don't actually own the game, and Green Hill Zone is the only staged i've played and is played at full throttle due to lack of turning, i can't really tell you what i think of Sonic's general controlling fro experience. However, it looks extremely tight and satisfying in stages like Seaside Hill and Sky Sanctuary from what i've seen. The quickstep was pretty much only used on, like, three (main level, i dunno about missions) occasions on this game which goes to show that we can live without it. The drift also sounds like it takes a lot of skill to use, which helps create a gap between true blue speedrunners and just core players. All in all, it all seems pretty good. Expect the need for spindash.

I was thinking, and balancing the spindash and the boost is completely doable. The spindash can be used as much as you want but requires a slope to make full functioning out of. The boost is self-propelling but you need to have your gauge filled the tiniest but to be able to do it. The boost can be altered to have a set speed (i know everyone wants it to work more like an actual boost, but this works better if we want the spindash around) so that it is the fastest medium of travel uphill, but rolling and the spindash are a lot faster on the downhill and for a while on any flat land after a downhill. So just by tweaking the boost a tad bit more, we can slap the spindash in there and we're looking pretty good!

I don't think it has to be that complex.

1. Make boost be filled like in Colours (and speed-cap it so you can not use it unless you are in a arms-behind run), making you smart, and restricted about where you use it

2. Replace sliding with rolling/spindash to gain speed when you have no boost/want to save it.

3. Add momentum-based platforming to compliment the existing great level design/spindash and rolling and SMART use of the boost.

4. Profit!

On the drift thing, I really can't see why people don't like it, O_o. In previous games with it, it felt like it I was going to fall off the side of the path if I didn't start the drift at an absolute perfect time. With Generations, I feel like I have WAY more control over what I'm doing, and can even turn side to side if I wish for quick fixes.

As for the topic at hand though, I'm largely thinking it might be reviewer nit-picking to be honest. Here's a game that's supposed to represent Sonic's entire 20 years of gaming in 9 short levels. Everyone is going to have their opinions on what should be represented, and how large of a scale at that. Some will want larger story, some will want next to none. Some will want a large focus on the Genesis era, some want more of the Dreamcast era. There's Endless Possibilities here. *nuked*

• Thumbs Up 3

The spindash drift doesn't make any sense, why is it that his ball form has more directional control? And while I'm at it, why are the slide's physics a bettter approximation of rolling than classic's rolling?

Generations's modern stuff still doesn't do it for me. There are some places where it isn't basically a ski run, but there's still no cohesiveness to the levels and the "struggle for altitude" design of the game's levels saps spontaneity almost as well as bottomless pits.

• 1 month later...

So I wanted to add something to this. Does anyone think Modern Sonic is a little too stiff? While I still really love how well he controls, I think he should be able to keep a little more speed while turning at low speed ala SA1.

Edited by Christmas Warp

The spindash drift doesn't make any sense, why is it that his ball form has more directional control? And while I'm at it, why are the slide's physics a bettter approximation of rolling than classic's rolling?

Former, stylistic choice. Latter, you got me!

Generations's modern stuff still doesn't do it for me. There are some places where it isn't basically a ski run, but there's still no cohesiveness to the levels and the "struggle for altitude" design of the game's levels saps spontaneity almost as well as bottomless pits.

Yes, well your requirements and expectations for Sonic's gameplay are ridiculously specific, if a little unreasonable.

Also, what does the last section; "Struggle for altitude" mean? And what makes them incohesive? The segregation of the speedy bits and platformy bits? Speed and platforming has been segregated from the start, slopes that enabled you to gain any serious speed rarely featured any platforming, if at all.

After playing Generations...lets just say that I'm super psyched for the next Sonic game.

Incorporating Classic Physics in 3D would be as hard as hell though...

I don't want to jinx them and encourage this if they don't think they're ready, but I honestly think they should attempt a few mainstay gimmicks for the next title so it can stay a cut above Generations. Kinda like how they did with the Wisps in Colors, but with a bit more longlasting, if not permanent until the end of the level or until you get hit like they've done with the shields in the Classics.

Either way, Sonic Team have some serious brainstorming for the next title.

...Sonic Dimensions!!!! LOL, but seriously, thinking about the next Sonic game has never been this fun!

I'd prefer it if they come up with new graphics for the next game.

Agreed. The Hedgehog Engine produces super-smexy graphics, but I want Sonic Team to try out a completely new art style for the next Sonic (ala Rayman Origins)

Edited by KrazySanta14

Here's an idea. If we have a nerfed boost, I feel, with his current acceleration speed, Sonic would feel a little sluggish. So, why not give him a "faster acceleration" button that makes him accelerate faster like he has the Acceleration skill equipped, separate from the boost? I think it would be really cool, dude.

Edited by Christmas Warp

Here's an idea. If we have a nerfed boost, I feel, with his current acceleration speed, Sonic would feel a little sluggish. So, why not give him a "faster acceleration" button that makes him accelerate faster like he has the Acceleration skill equipped, separate from the boost? I think it would be really cool, dude.

No offense, but I really fucking hate the idea Sonic has to press a button in order to gain more speed.

Even his Modern Counterpart focuses on gaining speed and inertia in order to overcome/bypass obstacles but also risk running into other things or slipping up at one point while you have power over a burst of Unleashed (lawlseewatididthar) speed. I think it should stay that way.

If Sega lays off the automation and adds some curves and space to each path with fun level design, they don't have to nerf the boost.

If Sega lays off the automation and adds some curves and space to each path with fun level design, they don't have to nerf the boost.

Yay, then everyone will be happy! It's the best of both worlds.

But that would still be a boost. I want an actual spindash, in which you charge up from a stop. The boost makes that kind of redundant. Therefore-Nerf boost.

I agree with what Diogenes said in another thread, where he said the homing attack is weak right now.

When there are no enemies, and you HA in the air ("Air Dash") you go about two feet in front of you and drop.

BOOOOO.

In the Silver boss battle and other sections where Sonic runs forward uncontrollably, the air dash (not talking specifically about the HA yet) feels so great as you continue moving forward when you use it.

I personally don't think Modern Sonic needs his jump to carry his momentum, but the air dash should a LITTLE bit.

Now, the actual Homing Attack.

As Diogenes said, the HA needs to carry you forward (like the balloons in Rooftop Run and such) when you attack with it, rather than cancelling all movement and sending you upward.

Try homing attacking some balloons.

Feels fucking fantastic.

Now do some robots.

Bleh.

Let's fix this mofo.

But that would still be a boost. I want an actual spindash, in which you charge up from a stop. The boost makes that kind of redundant. Therefore-Nerf boost.

Still propose implementing the Advance 2 boost.

I agree with what Diogenes said in another thread, where he said the homing attack is weak right now.

When there are no enemies, and you HA in the air ("Air Dash") you go about two feet in front of you and drop.

BOOOOO.

In the Silver boss battle and other sections where Sonic runs forward uncontrollably, the air dash (not talking specifically about the HA yet) feels so great as you continue moving forward when you use it.

I personally don't think Modern Sonic needs his jump to carry his momentum, but the air dash should a LITTLE bit.

Now, the actual Homing Attack.

As Diogenes said, the HA needs to carry you forward (like the balloons in Rooftop Run and such) when you attack with it, rather than cancelling all movement and sending you upward.

Try homing attacking some balloons.

Feels fucking fantastic.

Now do some robots.

Bleh.

Let's fix this mofo.

Its still a step forward from Sonic 06. Dear god that is the worse HA I ever seen,

Edited by Sonimas032

Still propose implementing the Advance 2 boost.

That's actually a good idea, one thing I'd slightly tweak however is that instead of it just activating, when it would normally activate, you would get a cue to press a button instead of it just happening, to give the player more control.

I like 3D gameplay in Generations, I just wish they would go back to something more like the Adventure Games. And bring back the ability to spindash. Definetly better than Colors and Unleashed.

• Thumbs Up 1

I like 3D gameplay in Generations, I just wish they would go back to something more like the Adventure Games. And bring back the ability to spindash. Definetly better than Colors and Unleashed.

I'm not really too fond of the spindash in the Adventure games TBH...for one thing, you can spam the crap out of it. At least the Boost has a limit (at least in Colours and Generations)

Edited by KrazySanta14
  • Thumbs Up 1

Can we discuss super sonic here?Like super sonic since unleashed? Because i amd a post which i think is a really good idea for super sonic. I'll quote it. This is a idea for a final boss.

Like for example Your fighting starting out as super sonic and if your ring meter depletes to zero You turn regular sonic And have to collect 50 more rings while dodging his attacks by running on platforms like debris Using skills you've learned througout the game. If you reach a goal ring before you reach 50 that equals 100 rings and you go super again and then proceed. You could attack said boss as regular but would only really stun him and not do that much damage.
. What do you guys think? Edited by The Boostin Reinhog

Can we discuss super sonic here?Like super sonic since unleashed? Because i amd a post which i think is a really good idea for super sonic. I'll quote it. This is a idea for a final boss. . What do you guys think?

That......is..........AWESOME! That NEEDS to be the next Super Sonic final boss! I love that!