Awoo.

Modern/Unleashed/Colours gameplay AS OF GENERATIONS.

Chaos Warp

That......is..........AWESOME! That NEEDS to be the next Super Sonic final boss! I love that!

I had the idea a few years back but forgot my Papers that had all my ideas. Then i found it again and decided to just ask around what people thought.

I mean it would give us a change for once. Actually making it FEEL like a FINAL boss. Normally final bosses test you using everything you've learned throughout the game.(The Egg dragoon in generations actually i Think attempted that.) So why not mix both Sonic AND super sonic? Instead of just falling to your death after running out of rings.

Edited by The Boostin Reinhog
  • Thumbs Up 1

That's actually a good idea, one thing I'd slightly tweak however is that instead of it just activating, when it would normally activate, you would get a cue to press a button instead of it just happening, to give the player more control.

The thing is though, the boost is largely dependant on the level design. It'd only be able to activate at areas where the players can gain enough speed. It isn't like the Unleashed boost where you can use it where ever and the key is to know WHEN to use it, it's more focused on maintaining a fast pace to keep your speed up, and in turn, extend the duration of the boost. Giving the player the option of whether or not they want the boost to activate would be largely redundant since there wouldn't be an instance where the boost activating would hinder the player. It'd only potentially hinder them in areas after the initial speed segment where the player would have to actively attempt to keep going to run into complications.

The thing is though, the boost is largely dependant on the level design. It'd only be able to activate at areas where the players can gain enough speed. It isn't like the Unleashed boost where you can use it where ever and the key is to know WHEN to use it, it's more focused on maintaining a fast pace to keep your speed up, and in turn, extend the duration of the boost. Giving the player the option of whether or not they want the boost to activate would be largely redundant since there wouldn't be an instance where the boost activating would hinder the player. It'd only potentially hinder them in areas after the initial speed segment where the player would have to actively attempt to keep going to run into complications.

You have a point. The problem with that is when the player gains a lot of rings, he gains boost mode very quickly, and might start attaining it where he does not want to. Therefore, the button comes in.

Edited by Christmas Warp

Meh, don't care too much for a 3D spindash. It was broken as hell in SA1, and I didn't care too much for it in SA2. What I would like to see in a 3D Sonic are the following though:

1) Good rolling physics. Why has this never been done in a 3D Sonic? It would be awesome as hell being able to earn momentum from rolling down hills, and there are a number of instances in both Colours and Generations (Modern) where good pinball physics would've been really quite nice to use. As many people have said, the slide can be easily replaced by a roll as it retains momentum really nicely. Search up Sonic Dimensions (fan game) on Youtube and try it out and you'll see how they could work well.

2) For Sonic to retain his momentum better on his jump, as well as having much better aerial control for it. Not the crazy amount he hand in the Adventure games or 06, but more than he does in Modern Generations. A nice middle ground. But the jump in Generations is pretty nice, especially when you leap off an incline at high speed. Also, MORE INITIAL JUMP SPEED please. I'd like to be able to at least attempt to accelerate a bit when I jump like I could in the classics. Not only that, but it would mean that constantly having to jump dash in the slower platforming sections wouldn't be as needed and even if it was needed you would have better control over it.

3) As I think others have already said, a boost that doesn't instantly accelerate Sonic, but allows him to accelerate faster and reach a higher top speed as well.

These as well as a number of other smaller things like smoother turning both slow and fast, as well as Sonic's jump being a little less floaty and not uncurling at the last moment but these are the main three I think. With these three it would off a lot of great freedom of movement. Imagine moving at top speed, down a hill, going into a roll, then boosting then WOOOOOOOOSH off an incline. You'd freaking fly through the sky like a rocket and it would feel totally awesome XD

• Thumbs Up 1

Meh, don't care too much for a 3D spindash. It was broken as hell in SA1, and I didn't care too much for it in SA2. What I would like to see in a 3D Sonic are the following though:

1) Good rolling physics. Why has this never been done in a 3D Sonic? It would be awesome as hell being able to earn momentum from rolling down hills, and there are a number of instances in both Colours and Generations (Modern) where good pinball physics would've been really quite nice to use. As many people have said, the slide can be easily replaced by a roll as it retains momentum really nicely. Search up Sonic Dimensions (fan game) on Youtube and try it out and you'll see how they could work well.

2) For Sonic to retain his momentum better on his jump, as well as having much better aerial control for it. Not the crazy amount he hand in the Adventure games or 06, but more than he does in Modern Generations. A nice middle ground. But the jump in Generations is pretty nice, especially when you leap off an incline at high speed. Also, MORE INITIAL JUMP SPEED please. I'd like to be able to at least attempt to accelerate a bit when I jump like I could in the classics. Not only that, but it would mean that constantly having to jump dash in the slower platforming sections wouldn't be as needed and even if it was needed you would have better control over it.

3) As I think others have already said, a boost that doesn't instantly accelerate Sonic, but allows him to accelerate faster and reach a higher top speed as well.

These as well as a number of other smaller things like smoother turning both slow and fast, as well as Sonic's jump being a little less floaty and not uncurling at the last moment but these are the main three I think. With these three it would off a lot of great freedom of movement. Imagine moving at top speed, down a hill, going into a roll, then boosting then WOOOOOOOOSH off an incline. You'd freaking fly through the sky like a rocket and it would feel totally awesome XD

Edited by Christmas Warp

If we're talking about the same Sonic Dimension fan game, then I don't think spin-dash was used properly. All I saw was running and rolling across incredibly LOOONG linear stretches of land.

These are awesome ideas, but you said you don't really care for a 3d spindash. Wouldn't having rolling physics lend itself to having a spindash ala the classics?

Edited by SiLeNtDo0m

Well, not necessarily. Look at Sonic 1 for example ^^ And don't get me wrong, I don't hate the idea of a 3D Spindash at all. I just don't think it's really very necessary considering how Sonic moves in the 3D games.

But a boost filled like Colours lends itself to having levels that don't give you boost until far into the level, and levels that don't have any boost at all. In these situations, a spindash would be very useful. You could even tweak it so you are able to aim it left and right ala the Lazer (except not up or down) while charging, for better aim.

So basically, you guys want the next few 3D Sonic games to play along the lines of this?

Edited by KrazySanta14

So basically, you guys want the next few 3D Sonic games to play along the lines of this?

Edited by Christmas Warp
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't see why you need to nerf the boost. The only reason I see is so you can have the Spin Dash back. But Sonic has gotten powerful enough that he doesn't need to Spin Dash anymore.

If anything, make the Drift work like a type of Spin Dash when your at a Standstill.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't see why you need to nerf the boost. The only reason I see is so you can have the Spin Dash back. But Sonic has gotten powerful enough that he doesn't need to Spin Dash anymore.

If anything, make the Drift work like a type of Spin Dash when your at a Standstill.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 3 weeks later...

Now, before I say this, I still think Modern Sonic controls awesome, and fits perfectly into the game's design.

I've been thinking, my main problems is that Modern Sonic's controls feel like they are designed for going from slow platforming to boosting all the time, which is what you are doing in Modern Sonic's stages. So in that context, he controls perfectly. But, if we changed the design of the game to make it more momentum based, which would mean travelling at more varied speeds, there would be a problem. I'm not sure how I would migate this, any ideas?