Awoo.

Why Is Generations Recieving More Hate Than Colors?

CanofEpicSauce

Forgive me if I'm raging a bit, but can I please ask just why in the fuck Generations has a lower score than Colors on Metacritic, and why is it the flaws are more exaggerated in Generations than Colors, even though they were more prominent in that game. Here we have the best Sonic game since S3&K and it's getting a lower score than Colors. Why is this? And what are your thoughts on it?

I am abit shocked to see Generations get even lower than Colors (and it pisses me right the fuck off that we may never see an 80% average for a Sonic game especially if its THIS good) but whatever, maybe *sigh* next time.

To me, it's mainly because Colors was tied together better as a whole. Sure, Generations has more content, but it has a similar problem as Colors - It isn't gonna drag you in. I'm practically forcing myself to keep playing it. Another reason is that the story is actually SHORTER than that of Colors. This is Sonic's 20th! I was expecting a bang! Instead, what we got was more like a poot.

Also Colors made you wanna play after you beat the final boss, too.

Edited by Heart
  • Thumbs Up 2

Well, to summarize some of the reviewer's thoughts:

Cream, Amy, and Crush 40 is in it.

The Modern Era.

Not enough classic levels.

The story is as child-friendly as the Teletubbies.

Just a few, insignificant, yet major in reviewers' eyes, complaints.

Personally I ignore the crap reviews. Unless they give reason why they bash the game they have no say. I mean yeah the songs are kinda hit and miss and I have been seeing some framerate drops (Speed highway & Crisis city) it shouldn't have half the impact it did. It's more like they don't want sonic to return. That's all.

Nah. After I beat that game I had to force myself to go back. Unleashed and Generations are the opposite. Everything about this game was pure sex. And moving at mach 1 for the first time in Unleashed was a feeling that I have never felt before in any game. EVEN F-zero.

Edited by Super Eternal

But would you guys view the controls complaints as legitimate?

And how many reviews actually complained about the controls and level design.

Edited by CanofEpicSauce

To me, it's mainly because Colors was tied together better as a whole. Sure, Generations has more content, but it has a similar problem as Colors - It isn't gonna drag you in.

It fascinates me how people can say this type of thing about Unleashed but not the two better games with more content (thats not filler), better design choices, etc etc

• Thumbs Up 3

I think it's the consoles and the hype. The Wii seems to have a reputation of not having as many good games as the HD consoles due to it's gimmicky nature, so when a good game does come along it's like a surprise and is more welcomed (and Nintendo games are always well received in reviews, even Metroid: Other M got decent review scores despite the controversy and hate surrounding it, so Sonic has to compete with them too), whereas HD games are judged more harshly against other games and whatnot because there's more "hardcore" games and less gimmicky stuff that appeals to families. Or something like that, not really making much sense tonight.

More importantly though, Colours kind of just came out of nowhere and stunned everyone, whereas Generations has had masses of hype built up over the past few months, and it's just not gonna ever live up to it in some reviewers eyes, if for decent reasons or for biased ones. For Colours it came out of nowhere and people were like "okay we'll give it a shot" but for Generations there's so much demand for stuff to be put into the game that it ALL couldn't possibly be put in that people will bitch and not everyone will be pleased.

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 2

To me, it's mainly because Colors was tied together better as a whole. Sure, Generations has more content, but it has a similar problem as Colors - It isn't gonna drag you in. I'm practically forcing myself to keep playing it.Another reason is that the story is actually SHORTER than that of Colors. This is Sonic's 20th! I was expecting a bang! Instead, what we got was more like a poot.

Exactly, the storyline is poop. Thing is, there are many here that will defend the storyline like no tomorrow because the reviewers spat at it. I agree its not good, the game was made for gameplay only, just like the Gens games almost.

It fascinates me how people can say this type of thing about Unleashed but not the two better games with more content (thats not filler), better design choices, etc etc

I actually feel like speedrunning Unleashed. Not so with Generations. Which is unfortunate, because I really like Generations.

I also wish S ranking was a challenge.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe, Maybe Not. But It Doesn't Matter. Whats important is that WE know its a good game. If the reviewers won't see reason, then pity the fools and move on. Sonic Team have shown that they can Live through the storm and Learn from their mistakes, even if they still have a tendency to screw up in some areas. This Machine has survived and now it will chug forward and Never Turn Back.

I see what you did there. And I like it.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well I guess I should be a bit more optimistic. Gamespot review isn't out yet. And there's only been about 21 reviews when Colors received about 58.

To me, it's mainly because Colors was tied together better as a whole. Sure, Generations has more content, but it has a similar problem as Colors - It isn't gonna drag you in. I'm practically forcing myself to keep playing it. Another reason is that the story is actually SHORTER than that of Colors. This is Sonic's 20th! I was expecting a bang! Instead, what we got was more like a poot.

So true man, this what I've been saying for weeks.

Edited by Modern Inferno

Maybe because the HD console reviewers have different standards? *shrugs*

Personally i kinda saw it coming for that reason. But I wouldn't say the score is an indication of which game is considered better. They're just scores

Wait, how the fuck is Generations shorter than Colors? Doesnt it have more levels AND missions!?

Wait, how the fuck is Generations shorter than Colors? Doesnt it have more levels AND missions!?

He probably meant in terms of cutscenes, Colors has 30, while Generations had 13. In terms of content though, yeah, Generations has moar.

Generations' additional levels and missions are for the most of the part completely optional. You just need to finish one extra mission per level to get boss keys and then beat the Rivals for Chaos Emeralds.

I'm not sure it deserves worse than Colors, but...

...well you guys already know I don't have a very high opinion of this game. Maybe, y'know, some of the complaints are actually legitimate?

• Thumbs Up 1

Generations' additional levels and missions are for the most of the part completely optional.

Optional or not, there is a lot more content than in Colours. The extra acts and challenges are occasionally longer and more challenging than some of Colours' main acts.

...well you guys already know I don't have a very high opinion of this game. Maybe, y'know, some of the complaints are actually legitimate?

Yeah that's all well and good, but the journalists are complaining about the wrong things and praising the wrong things. They complain about later acts because things slow down and get difficult, whilst praise earlier stages for being straightforward and easy. They also complain about friends being there and the fact that the stage is revisiting the stages from all of Sonic's 20 year stint, instead of the first 5.

Generations is by no means a perfect Sonic game. Fuck no, it has plenty of problems that need addressing, its just that it has a whole lot more content and better controls and level design than Colours (bosses are no better/no worse). It deserves at least an 8. A 9 would be pushing it waaaay too far.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 3

Of course some of them are. The few that have been properly justified. But the majority of them aren't.

If Generations' problems are worse than Colours, then it deserves to recieve lower scores. It's as simple as that, really.

Personally, I don't see it. The game seems to have better level design, better levels, better music and better controls all round. But it's different strokes for different folks y'know? I may change my mind when I actually get my hands on it.

I don't know why because I think this game kicks the shit out of Colors, but eh.. I don't really care.

I stopped caring about reviewers years ago.

• Thumbs Up 7