Awoo.

Sonic Generations: PC Discussion

Remy

Oh hey, this topic's not locked? Could've sworn it was...

tumblr_nqxbjqQDsP1rtr7mwo5_1280.jpg

ANYWAY;

Ambient Occlusion is a handy setting in most PC game to do with how ambient light affects the environment and stuff. Many games like Grand Theft Auto V have it as a thing in the settings, but some, like Sonic Generations, don’t. In these cases, the Occlusion compatibility of other games that do support AO can be used instead.

Sonic Generations used to be compatible with the Mirror’s Edge AO, but a driver update apparently broke that; either way, it doesn’t work anymore. I did some digging to find a fix, and all I could find was a suggestion to use ArmA 2′s AO compatibility. 

Whilst ArmA’s compatibility works fine with Generations in terms of producing AO, it’s not ideal; 2D graphic effects such as the HUD become incredibly bugged, and the effect itself is very dark and kind of… unnatural. So I did some more digging, and found that Hawken’s AO was apparently useful for some games. Whilst the effect was more natural, it still had the same glitches as the ArmA compatibility; so I continued testing.

The last suggestion I found was Race Driver GRID’s compatibility settings. This was on a guide for Resident Evil 6, but fuck it, I was desperate. Surprisingly… it worked! It created the most natural effect of the three compatibility settings I’d tried, and had none of the weird HUD glitches from the other settings!

My findings are all above. TL;DR - GRID’s compatibility is the best. 

So yeah; I got it working. Now to figure out how Anti-Aliasing works with this thing, since all the game can do via the in-game settings is FXAA…

Full AO compatibility comparison images are here: http://trackertheblog.tumblr.com/post/123132160894/sonic-generations-an-adventure-in-ambient

The game runs terrible on my laptop. Even with the lowest graphical settings. My laptop isn't too weak either.

DLAFtFH.jpg

Updaaaaaate

Still going to do more testing with Warmonger AO.

OfjFPiS.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

I think this is why Unleashed project doesn't look quite exactly the same as the original 360 Sonic Unleashed. The Sonic in Generations has a very distinctive blue-ish glow to him, whereas Unleashed's Sonic is more realistically shaded. I really look forward to this being further implemented, and I wish that I knew enough to say more than I have.

I think this is why Unleashed project doesn't look quite exactly the same as the original 360 Sonic Unleashed. The Sonic in Generations has a very distinctive blue-ish glow to him, whereas Unleashed's Sonic is more realistically shaded. I really look forward to this being further implemented, and I wish that I knew enough to say more than I have.