Awoo.

Sonic Generations: PC Discussion

Remy

So the game works for me at (almost) constant full speed at the highest possible default settings. Fantastic.

I also got a ge force card as well @_@ so I guess ill have problems as well.... sad face

It's not. It's having trouble with laptops using Optimus Technology.

Ah, that's my problem, my version of Nvidia does not have a view menu in the control panel. Thank you very much for trying to help, though, Phos. happy.png I do feel better at least having clearer idea of the problem. smile.png

I guess we'll just have to wait until an Nvidia Optimus fix shows up. I'll probably have to turn the quality of the graphics down in order to play, but I'd much rather do that than not play at all.

Sounds like you have an old driver, you might want to try updating it maybe?

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Whoops, I'm on it.

Memory:

memoryck.jpg

Graphics:

graphicse.jpg

EDIT: Might as well update the CPU stats:

cpua.jpg

You're above minimum requirements, you can see where else you check out by going here since I'm not 100% how you are http://systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/ , but I know for a fact that you're above the minimum.

You're above minimum requirements, you can see where else you check out by going here since I'm not 100% how you are http://systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/ , but I know for a fact that you're above the minimum.

Oh wow, thats actually an interesting website. This makes sure your computer can run it correct? It won't make mistakes or not?

Oh wow, thats actually an interesting website. This makes sure your computer can run it correct? It won't make mistakes or not?

I haven't had any regrets because of it....yet =p

Sounds like you have an old driver, you might want to try updating it maybe?

http://www.nvidia.co...aspx?lang=en-us

I feel a bit silly, now, as I have realized that I have neglected to research properly, and overlooked some very simple things. Firstly, it turns out that I'd mistakenly believed that Optimus tech was something that was in both laptop and desktop Nvidia cards. So, while I hope peoples with laptops will receive I fix, I misdiagnosed my problem.

Secondly, after I checked that link, I realized that my driver was up to date, but the card itself was not. So, thank you for that, Phos. ^_^ As it turns out, the type of card I have, a Geforce 6200, is far too old and out of date, and I need a Geforce 8800. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to afford one anytime soon, but I was able to get one for about fifty-six dollars off of Amazon. So, problem solved. XD

• Thumbs Up 1

I feel a bit silly, now, as I have realized that I have neglected to research properly, and overlooked some very simple things. Firstly, it turns out that I'd mistakenly believed that Optimus tech was something that was in both laptop and desktop Nvidia cards. So, while I hope peoples with laptops will receive I fix, I misdiagnosed my problem.

Secondly, after I checked that link, I realized that my driver was up to date, but the card itself was not. So, thank you for that, Phos. happy.png As it turns out, the type of card I have, a Geforce 6200, is far too old and out of date, and I need a Geforce 8800. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to afford one anytime soon, but I was able to get one for about fifty-six dollars off of Amazon. So, problem solved. XD

Pretty cheap o: you got a laptop or desktop? Cause remember, if you dont know how to put the card in yourself, you might need to pay someone from best buy or something (geek squad) to help you install it.

Pretty cheap o: you got a laptop or desktop? Cause remember, if you dont know how to put the card in yourself, you might need to pay someone from best buy or something (geek squad) to help you install it.

Oh, I've got a desktop, so I hope that should make things easier...If I'm not mistaken, putting a card into a laptop would be a lot more difficult and risky, unless I've got things backwards in my mind.

Oh, I've got a desktop, so I hope that should make things easier...If I'm not mistaken, putting a card into a laptop would be a lot more difficult and risky, unless I've got things backwards in my mind.

No your right, just make sure, your PC can handle the graphics card and also, your PC isnt to old. Some low end non gaming computers might not have the slots to put the newer high end graphics cards in.

Installing hardware in a desktop nowadays is fairly straight forward. The only things you need to know/be concerned about is A. does your motherboard have the proper slot, PCI-E x16 is a fairly common standard now; and B. will your computer's current power supply handle the added load of the new card, just as a offhand example this card requires a 600 Watt power supply just to be on the safe side.

EDIT:

I feel this is an appropriate video to post in this topic:

Edited by voice
  • Thumbs Up 3

Installing hardware in a desktop nowadays is fairly straight forward. The only things you need to know/be concerned about is A. does your motherboard have the proper slot, PCI-E x16 is a fairly common standard now; and B. will your computer's current power supply handle the added load of the new card, just as a offhand example this card requires a 600 Watt power supply just to be on the safe side.

Is anybody here experiencing glitchy oddities with modern Sonic just randomly side-stepping to the side in 3D sections? I've experienced it in Sky Sanctuary and Seaside Hill a few times, and it fucks me up.

Is anybody here experiencing glitchy oddities with modern Sonic just randomly side-stepping to the side in 3D sections? I've experienced it in Sky Sanctuary and Seaside Hill a few times, and it fucks me up.

Me, I think it might be because of the controller that I'm using. I'm using a Saitek Cyborg v3, and it started happening after a good hour but didn't happen when I used keyboard controls =|

I'm using an old-fashioned 360 wired controller. However the driver I'm using is XBCD. Not sure what it is but it might not be the controllers themselves. Kind of hard to determine what triggers the glitch, too.

Some screenshots of the PC version on full settings at 1080p. It's planet wisp for those who don't wanna be spoiled on anything, I guess it's not much of a spoiling but just as a warning.

Modern Planet wisp 1

Modern Planet wisp 2

Modern Planet wisp 3

Edit some more:

Perfect chaos 1

Perfect chaos 2(lol)

Perfect chaos 3

And some classic spice.

Sky sanctuary 1

Sky sanctuary 2

Sky sancruary 3

Some screenshots of the PC version on full settings at 1080p. It's planet wisp for those who don't wanna be spoiled on anything, I guess it's not much of a spoiling but just as a warning.

Modern Planet wisp 1

Modern Planet wisp 2

Modern Planet wisp 3

Edit some more:

Perfect chaos 1

Perfect chaos 2(lol)

Perfect chaos 3

And some classic spice.

Sky sanctuary 1

Sky sanctuary 2

Sky sancruary 3

Utterly and completely gorgeous. Especially the water effects in Perfect Chaos's fight.

I've experienced this, using a PS3 controller with the MotionJoy drivers.

Relieved it's not just me. :P

Direct link to the post with a more promising fix: Click here

Found a working fix

First of all, I want to thank everyone that gave me ideas, this is kind of a mashup of all fixes I've found that only worked partly. Unfortunately I don't remember where I read everything, so, thanks to everyone who tried to get the game running.

Second, this fix requires no extra screens or cables.

I cant guarantee it will work on every laptop, but if you have an Nvidia Optimus card, try it. Here's how to:

Begin with opening Nvidia control panel. In the "Manage 3D settings" tab, go to program settings and click add.

Navigate to your Steam installation path, and go to \steamapps\common\Sonic Generations\ and choose the sonicgenerations.exe file. Force it to use your Nvidia card. I don't know if it's necessary, but I also did this with the config exe.

After you have applied the settings, go to your desktop.

Right click and select screen resolution. In this window you should click detect. If you can see two displays that are grayed out and named after your video cards, you're probably good to go.

Choose your Nvidia card and select "Attempt to connect anyway on (VGA in my case)". Don't remember which drop down menu it is, just fool around a little. When you found it, click apply.

Then, choose extended desktop and apply again. This will force-activate your discrete GPU.

Now the fun starts.

The guide is edited from here

Open the Sonic Config tool and check if your Nvidia card is present. But instead, choose your Intel card and whatever other settings you want.

Now start Sonic, and it will propably work.

What's technically happening is that Sonic starts on the integrated GPU, But since the Nvidia card is active through the fake monitor, it will force itself to render Sonic thanks to the changes in the Nvidia control panel.

I really hopes this works for you.

I'll try to clarify what has to be done:

1) Go to NVIDIA control panel (right-click on desktop and you will see option for it). There go to 3D settings and go to application settings. Just in case add both config tool and game .exe-files and for both choose to use NVIDIA high performance graphics card. Click apply, just in case - after each of the changes.

2) Again right-click on your desktop and choose option for desktop resolution. Click on find button and you should see your actual display and "non-real" integrated one, choose the second and select the option for forcing to use VGA. Then return to your actual display and select option for extended desktops. Click apply after every change.

3) Launch game config tool, it should give you options for selecting either your integrated card or NVIDIA one. Try to select NVIDIA one, save the settings and launch the game. If it didn't work, try to select integrated card in config tool instead. One of this options should work.

I will be trying it after my meal and some cleaning-up, and then I will post the results.

Edit: It works! This way, I cannot connect my laptop to an external monitor using HDMI (it just somehow wouldn't let me choose that instead of VGA). My NVIDIA card showed up in the configuration, but launching the game with it would have me crash. but selecting the integrated card (Intel® HD Graphics Family) and launching the game now lets me play smooth-smooth-smooth! I hope this works for everyone having the problem until a permanent fix is made!

Okay, I found one nasty problem area concerning the sidestepping glitch I mentioned earlier - I don't know if this applies to anyone else experiencing this problem, though. It seems that whenever I start the game up and select Planet Wisp or Sky Sanctuary modern (I don't know if this happens in any other stages), Sonic constantly sidesteps to the left after I homing-attack an enemy, and it happens every time without fail. Exiting the level and going back to it does nothing. I can temporarily fix the problem by selecting another level first and then go back, but it comes back once I exit the game, open it again, and select Planet Wisp/Sky Sanctuary. Sky Sanctuary in particular doesn't even do this right at the beginning of the stage, it does it at those two Eggbots near the checkpoints leading to a rail going upwards. EDIT: Fuck, it does it in Seaside HIll, too. I'm assuming every stage is affected by this.

This is practically rendering the game unplayable for me, lest I do the temp. fix everytime I start up. I'd love to know what the chances are that a bugfix would be released for this game in the near future, because this is a pain in the ass.

I'm using the default controller driver installed when you plug a wired 360 pad in and do not have any of the issues you are describing, which leads me to believe the driver is the problem here.

That is unless I'm a moron and we're talking about the same driver. ^_^;

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, I found one nasty problem area concerning the sidestepping glitch I mentioned earlier - I don't know if this applies to anyone else experiencing this problem, though. It seems that whenever I start the game up and select Planet Wisp or Sky Sanctuary modern (I don't know if this happens in any other stages), Sonic constantly sidesteps to the left after I homing-attack an enemy, and it happens every time without fail. Exiting the level and going back to it does nothing. I can temporarily fix the problem by selecting another level first and then go back, but it comes back once I exit the game, open it again, and select Planet Wisp/Sky Sanctuary. Sky Sanctuary in particular doesn't even do this right at the beginning of the stage, it does it at those two Eggbots near the checkpoints leading to a rail going upwards. EDIT: Fuck, it does it in Seaside HIll, too. I'm assuming every stage is affected by this.

This is practically rendering the game unplayable for me, lest I do the temp. fix everytime I start up. I'd love to know what the chances are that a bugfix would be released for this game in the near future, because this is a pain in the ass.

What kind of controls are you using? If you have a 12-button gamepad you can trick the game to think the gamepad is an Xbox 360 controller with this: http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/

Just beat the main story mode and even though it has some control issues, I still loved the game. Anyone having issues with the Rooftop Run mission with the snowboard? If I try to take the high route next to the last checkpoint, Sonic just randomly decides to change directions and go the wrong way...then fall to the nearest bottomless pit. And by the way maybe either I went through the game too fast, but I hardly saw any of those "signs" in the later stages...just nitpickin'.