Awoo.

What surprised you positively about Generations?

Emmett L. Brown

The level design was mostly pretty great.

Modern Sonic's controls are really nice.

The throwbacks to old games. Really loved Sonic's line about Secret Rings.

All that fantastic music and I can play it on any level/boss I want. Great Great Great!

How fun classic sonic would be! I thought modern sonic would completely blow classic out of the water in terms of fun levels, but classic sonic was just as fun.

Also, the design of the hub world, the inclusion of classic Eggman, and unlockable music are great. I love using Sonic Boom or What I'm made Of for boss battles!

Yay, a positive topic! With all the criticism Generations is getting recently, it seems like we hate the game (which I know we don't)!

Alright, here's my list of standout surprises.

-All the 3d Platforming in Modern's stages. I did not expect all the stages to be like SSH/SS (I did not spoil the other stages for myself). But they all were! Almost all stages had good amounts of 3d and 2d platforming, and when there was a speed level, they compromised by having 2d platforming (like Chemical Plant and Speed Highway. Chemical plant is good, but Speed Highway, now THAT'S how you design a speed level. So many paths!), with Green Hill being the Unleashed-like odd one out.

-The music. OH GOD, THE MUSIC. Something for everyone in this soundtrack, and many of the remixes are better then the originals! My favorite track is probably a toss-up between Crisis City Classic and Rooftop Run Modern. CC Classic just feels so, epic, and the guitar harmony is just made of awesome. RTR Modern feels a lot more bouncy and lively then the original, which is saying something because the original already has the said qualities! And of course, the piano is awesome.

-The dynamic between Modern and Classic Sonic. It was great to see two cocky hogs' interact with each other, and I love the way Classic Sonic kind of seemed to look up to Modern Sonic as a big brother in some situations. The encouraged each other on and helped each other through the adventure.

There's plenty of other good things, but these are the things that REALLY stood out. Overall, despite it's story and length flaws, and the fact that the gameplay can still be improved, this game is still awesome. 9/10. I enjoy it more then Adventure 1 and 2, and I'd say as much as S3K or the other classics.

It's a classic in it's own right, people.

• Thumbs Up 2

classic sonic. i've never was any good on classic game so i thought i wouldnt like classic gameplay but i love it

modern sonic. i was excepting gameplay to be like unleashed (its gameplay was ok....) but what i got was even better than colors

silver.

the great music

the stages

Level design. When the game was first announced I really just expected Modern to play like Unleashed with little to no changes, and Classic to play like Sonic 4. I was pleasantly surprised when I found that, with the exception of Green Hill, practically every level for both mdoes was chock full of multiple paths, smart and fun platforming, and just great game design all around. It sometimes gets annoying when I'm in the Unleashed mindset trying to boost everywhere for the sake of speedruns, but that's just something I'll have to get used to.

The challenges were a lot more fun and diverse than I expected, some of them add a great deal to the level design and are extremely fun with cool and original ideas. No Galaxy-esque originality here, but considering they're just there for the sake of replay value and they're a HUGE improvement over the missions in every single Sonic game before it, I ain't complaining. I really liked the missions that had you skateboarding through most of City Escape, and snowboarding throughout Rooftop Run. Those,especially the latter, are just AWESOME.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm going to have to go with the level design too. The small clips we got from trailers didn't really spoil much, and I'm glad they didn't- The alternate routes and variety of path types in this game is simply amazing. Well done Sonic Team, unlike Colors I can actually go back to this game and explore new routes! happy.png

Edited by ハリネズミ

• First and foremost: The controls for Modern Sonic. They FINALLY got it right. This is how he SHOULD have been in both Unleashed AND Colors. There's almost nothing wrong with him (I would have preferred bumpers for rail switching, but whatevs)
  • Cindy Robinson's Amy is actually greatly improved from Free Riders. Nice going!
  • Balloon Park Remix! Didn't see that coming at all. Also mixing Quick Race and Balloon Park into one track
  • Mighty, Ray, Fang, Bean, and Bark all made cameos! Even cooler is that the former two are "missing" and the last three are "wanted" which matches their status in the comics.
  • The modern levels. They're so complex! Paths everywhere! They really hit the nail on the head with this one.
  • Just about every Sonic game that isn't on the Game Gear is referenced. This includes both Rushes, both Rivals, all three advances, all three Riders, and even Sonic Spinball. Even Mega Collection gets a nod!
  • Canonizing Secret Rings. I always knew it, but didn't want to admit it because that game sucks so much ass.
  • TIME EATER MUSIC. I had been recently listening to all of Kobayashi's phase 1 boss musics (Metal Madness, Solaris, Dark Gaia, Nega Wisp Armor) and wondered how this game would contribute. Modern Time Eater blows them all away. I didn't know SEGA's sound team could produce something of this quality. It sounds like it'd be in an actual movie or something. If this is Kobayashi again, it's his best work.
  • No main vocal theme, and thus no phase 2 remix of a vocal theme. Let me be the first to say Thank Primus. They dropped the ball on His World when they didn't put the vocals to the superior E3 version, Endless Possibilities was rather weak, and Reach For the Stars sounds like a reject Owl City track. The only decent Phase 2 was His World. The other two weren't all that special, and Endless Possibilities was actually laughable because Ohtani had the nerve to put the Amen Break in an orchestra song. While we're on the subject of theme musics:
  • No sugary ending music! Another life saver. The only good one was the Sweet Dreams remix because they put a sick back beat on it. The other two were forgettable.

• Thumbs Up 2

Crisis City classic.

I knew I was going to love Crisis City, because '06 was so built up for me, hyped beyond words, and the biggest let-down in gaming history to me. Crisis City was the most exciting and promising part of that game and I was very excited to see it finally realised properly in this game, and it didn't let me down. What was a surprise, though, was how good the classic rendition of it was. I always said that, aside from a different art style (and those stupid unnecessary human characters), '06's level designs etc. weren't as far removed from Sonic as everybody claimed them to be, and seeing how well the classic rendition of the level worked just proved to me that I had something there.

Fans of classic Sonic 'secrets' from BETA games etc. will appreciate this - I kept wanting to call the level 'Genocide City' :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Perfect Chaos surprised me with how good it was, same with the ending cutscene and most of the boss fights aside from the last two.

The alternate paths in every level just stunned me, I'm still finding some to this day. Even the most linear levels have at least a couple at almost any given time. Oh and when I found the wall jump panel in Modern Speed Highway with the alternate rocket and the fifth red ring I was like HOLY SHIT the level of detail. Same with the shortcut on water in Modern Seaside Hill which bypasses most of the first 2D segment.

Also surprising was how much fun the alternate tracks were - Sonic Boom in Modern Speed Highway was just GREAT.

I didn't like most of the missions, but the boarding one in Rooftop Run was insane, going up the fucking clock tower.

Oh the control was great, even as classic Sonic. I rarely felt like the game was cheap, just at times it was genuinely hard. But you always had a fair chance to react and bottomless pits were only really at slow sections (Modern Crisis City being the shining star).

Oh goody. biggrin.png

• My first will have to be the cameos. How freakin' awesome was that?!

• Tracks from Sonic R, Battle, Rivals 1 & 2 as well as both US and JAP/EU music from CD and most surprising of all, Knuckles Chaotix!!

• Challenging levels. (I was worried that the levels might be too easy as most of them appeared early on, in there respective games.)

• Being helped by a killer whale on Seaside Hill.

• Watching the sign post drift by Classic Sonic on Crisis City. (It made me laugh.)

• Freakin' awesome Boss/Rival battles! (except Time Eater.)

• I'll have to say level design too. You can't just boost through a level, anything could come at you and you wouldn't have enough time to react. Not to mention possibly missing an alternate route that could be quicker.

• Thumbs Up 1

The cutscenes. I would've preferred more, but I really enjoyed them. The comedy was cringe worthy like Colors' (Which I also found funny) and they just made me smile. Still, next time I want a bit of a bigger story.

And being able to change the boring Time Eater music to "It Doesn't Matter", making the fight a lot cooler.

Edited by MarcelloF

Two things I forgot to mention were how the game looks amazing and gorgeous from textures to details, to how they made Silver look cool. I never had a problem with the guy, but I know a lot of people did, and I'd say this made up for his début appearance.

Alright, aside from all the obvious stuff like the great 3D platforming and general awesomeness and references, here are my specific things:

- The Sonic 3D Remix. Made me smile SO much when I realised what it was.

- Silver getting crushed under the debris ball when you defeat him - not because I dislike Silver but just because it was a cool, clever idea that was really satisfying, they could have easily just been boring and cut to him falling over or something.

- The way some of the missions change the time of day - that was one of my favourite touches in the DLC levels of Unleashed and glad they kept it up.

- All the beefed up/remixed versions of music you can unlock.

- Crisis City's sign post flying away before you reach it.

- Chemical Plant's explodeyness and general grounding in reality Unleashed style

- Eggman interactions

- Rooftop Run, the level I was most looking forward to, did not dissapoint at all. <3 The music in particular was just beautiful, especially modern.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 7

I would say the fact that there's an enormous portion of Sonic goodness put into this one game. The music, the stages, the visuals, sense of speed...everything! I just get an incredibly good feeling when playing it. Ah yes, last but definitely not least: the PC version. I love you, Sega. <3

1 - The references and throw backs.

2 - Classic Sonic's reactions.

3 - The interaction between Classic and Modern Tails.

4 - The way Tails doesn't remember GHZ but remembers CPZ

By the way, in the Japanese voice-over, they don't "feel like" they were in CPZ before. They totally "know" that they were in there.

5 - Classic Crisis City. Dat dam ending post... Made me go "Holy SHI-" the first time.

6 - Modern Levels. They were beautiful and all the alternate paths... THE PATHS I TELL YOU!

7 - Music.

8 - The way they "Scramble some Eggman. SUPER SONIC STYLE!". That line is as cheesy as "the SUPERPOWER of TEAMWORK" but for some reason... I LOVE IT!

9 - The controls... It's so easy to Speed Run with Modern Sonic like a mad hog.

10 - The hub world after completing all the challenges, it looks so alive.

11 - The boss and rival battles 'cept the final one.

12 - Hard modes of the said bosses. I mean Egg Dragoon was so much fun. You can hit him 4 or 5 times until the first 2D section ends. And another 4 or 5 'till the end of the second 2D which goes to freefalling.

13 - Classic Sonic Homing Attack. The way he does tricks after HA is so freaking cute.

14 - Modern Sonic telling Classic Sonic to "Enjoy his future since it's going to be great!"... Didn't someone in this forum say that he would be happy if "Sonic tells Sonic to no matter how bad things get in future, he should never give up" as in a reference to the latest games and to the fanbase? Well, he got his wish I think.

15 - THE FREAKING PC VERSION! It plays and looks even better than on Xbox360 or PS3.

16 - The thorny path that SEGA chose when they did Sonic '06. You know, the path where they tried new thing even if they failed? That's what made this game possible.

17 - SEGA and Sonic Team.

I guess that covers it for now...

Edited by sayi50
  • Thumbs Up 3

How much Sega has improved to be honest.

Pretty much this.

Both the classic and modern Sonic stages are fun to play, but honestly I love the modern stages a bit more, the graphics, the attention to detail, the music remixes, etc. This game is just beautiful. Now all I need for Sega is to make a good story and make the other characters playable and I'm a happy camper. <3

Additionally, and the shortcut in Modern Speed Highway where you jump over the first trick ramp and fall down, only to boost just after seeing those evil springs on the wall and going through a hoop, skipping the first part of that first 2D section up to the yellow thing. Speed Highway has so many insane shortcuts and mini-paths that only the daredevil players will ever reach, even in the Classic one.

I also liked how there's actually momentum at some Modern points - like the main middle road at the start of Chemical Plant, where you can jump on the hill to reach a red hoop and a trick hoop. Or how if you're going faster and keep jumping you can reach platforms more easily in Crisis City as there's actually acceleration of some sort. I mean it's a small point, but I noticed it more in this game.

Oh and Modern Crisis City not only turned out to be really fun despite typical platforming jumping design, but it felt really tense and nervewracking, especially considering the beautiful music that I didn't anticipate AT ALL. It's not the best designed of the Modern levels, but it's atmosphere and aesthetics really made it stand above some of the other levels because it felt so... unique, and shows how good aesthetics can make games better. Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night is another example of this, with great level design and gameplay, but it's the art style and the soundtracks that really elevate it.

Edited by Semi-colon e

A few more things I loved:

- Robotnik, being called Robotnik. I got so excited about that.

- When Robotnik asked who Shado and Rouge were and Eggman answering "They are insignificant!" I really started laughing at that. Although, part of me would've preferred it after all of the Modern characters.

- References to old games were subtle, which I really liked. Like Tails talking about the Mega Mack making him really nervous.

- I ended up really liking Classic Speed Highway's music. Not as much as Modern, but still..

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh man. There's so much I love about this game that I could go on for ages. But for my all time favorite moments. I'd pick

- This remix.... it's outstanding. I shead tears of joy when first hearing it.

- Modern Seaside Hill

- Modern City Escape

- Classic Crisis City

- The rival and boss fights

- Both Sonic's meeting

- The reveal of the Time Eater scene

- The credits. I mean wow!

There is so much more I could go on for. But these are a few of my favorite moments. It's easily my favorite game in the series now tied with S3&K.

Edited by BlueEagle21

Oh yeah and the bouncing works great for classic sonic. I really dig how they've implemented it in a way that bouncing from enemy to enemy is a part of the level design. I like sonic bouncing back to his height like in the classics, but if they ever brought it back, i would love them to combine it with sonic gens's implementation. It feels really good

Edited by Djawed
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh yeah and the bouncing works great for classic sonic. I really dig how they've implemented it in a way that bouncing from enemy to enemy is a part of the level design. I like sonic bouncing back to his height like in the classics, but if they ever brought it back, i would love them to combine it with sonic gens's implementation. It feels really good

Yeah. See, the funny thing is S4 has the same bounce mechanic as this game, only it's physics are much worse and you're supposed to tackle extensive HA chains instead. What they did in Generations was very unclassic, but it fit very nicely. If they'd added the classic part to it as well then that side of things would be perfect.

I love how, this game, is a museum of sonic games's game-play, you know, you have almost every character, stage thing, and sonic's ability available in this game from a simple shield, trough that spring-fan things from sky rail in SA2, and even the wisp from colours, you can use homing attack with classic, you can use almost every shield of sonic story, you can even use the skateboard, and that just for classic! i didn't unlock to many modern's skill but still want to try all of them biggrin.png

Also, from Crisis City i have 3 awesome surprises, the first, with classic, with the "that tornado is carring a singpost!"; the 2nd one, you know, in classics game, that moment that you don't have any life and you are in the middle-last part of the level? well i fell it again, i didn't fell like this in almost 10 years ago (actually it happened to me in classic's level too), and the 3rd with modern, i lost all of my rings, and then i found myself in a lava section with those platforms and something inside me say "WHERE IS YOUR BOOST NOW?" that was awesome (and scary) moment tongue.png

PD: sorry for my bad english xD

Edited by SuperGuzzi

• 4 weeks later...

Lots of things, but the main two were:

Taking a level from SA2 and making it enjoyable.

The fact that if you spindash up a wall in spike form in Planet Wisp and revert to normal, Sonic will still be running up the wall.