Awoo.

What surprised you positively about Generations?

Emmett L. Brown

The balance of the universe demands that if there's gonna be a thread about what people were disappointed by, then there must be one about what people were pleasantly surprised to see. And I know I'm not the only one who would like a break from reading about how Generations failed to live up to expectations.

Here's a few of mine:

- No quicktime events. Thanks for removing the most bothersome part of the Unleashed daytime levels.

- Most detailed branching paths in 3D ever. That really impressed me. Not just shortcuts, but actually enough alternate paths to give every single act at least three different playthroughs without repeating.

- Every boss is unique. Metal Sonic is a completely different playstyle than Shadow, same for Shadow and Silver, and same for Silver and Metal Sonic. Not to mention the three era bosses. Came as a happy surprise after both Unleashed and Colors had you fight the same bosses again with more lasers.

- Sonic controls better than ever. Subjective, I know, but unlike Unleashed I rarely missed a jump due to failures of game physics rather than my own misjudged timing. And with homing attack happily separated from air boost, it makes correcting undershot jumps easy and useful.

- Skill systsem didn't nerf the unequipped characters like in Secret Rings. Huge relief, especially since all the missions are played skill-free.

- Unlockables for just about everything. Going for red rings was a lot more satisfying than before when every single one unlocked something instead of having to stockpile them for future rewards.

- Finally a ranking system that encourages instead of insults. No resseting the score to zero for every death, like you sucked too hard to play a Sonic game if you couldn't do a non-death run every time. No need tor obsessive boosting and dashing to barely meet the mark for a good rank.

- Great musical call-backs. I was expecting music from old games, but never something as rare and obscure as tracks from Knuckles Chaotix and the menu music from Sonic Mega Collection.

• Thumbs Up 7

Great topic idea!

For me;

- Bosses (except Time Eater). I had a blast with every last one of them, even Metal Sonic!

- How much fun it is using the musical replacement option; Sonic Boom in Classic Sonic races is too fun!

- DAT 3D PLATFORMING. This is the funnest 3D Sonic I've played since Colors!

- The missions. Some people complain about them, but I thought most were fun, varied, yet still felt "Sonic-like" save a small amount

- Rooftop Run Classic. Did NOT expect it to be my favorite Classic Sonic level.

- Unlockable movesets are lots of fun to experiment with, and Red Rings doing more than just unlocking artwork, but also music and movesets too!

I was suprised how well they compensated the few ringloss(instead of all) with placing very few rings in the levels. I actually found myself with 0 quite some times. That said, I would have still prefered the all ring loss as that would have only make it more challenging.

I was surprised at how well they got the right idea with how classic sonic works conceptually. The level design is just excellent all around. You can just see they tried their best replicating it.

I was suprised with the spamdash being useless most of the time because I remember thinking that it would make the classic portions feel like boost fests in their own spamdash ways. But the original way is of course still better.

Most things that surprised me were negative speculations that were created from earlier builds. Honestly they managed to polish everything up quite well.

Edited by Djawed

The amazing amount of multiple pathways found in the Act 2 stages really threw me for a loop the first time I played through them. Sky Sanctuary Act 2 is my absolute favorite stage in the game for this exact reason. It really makes for tons of replay value. Replay value being one of the core things needed for me to truly love a game.

I was also pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the majority of the boss battles in the game and how they seemed to get better and better as you moved on from one to the next. I do wish they were more challenging but at the end of the day it's how much fun you get out of playing them that matters and most certainly got a lot out of them.

Finally, I'll echo what was said above me about the selection of songs remixed for the game including Door Into Summer for the Collection Room. It's hardly something to note for most people here, but my face completely lit up after realizing that Emerald Beach from Sonic Battle was remixed for use in some of the Challenge Acts. I love Sonic Battle and I was not expecting any sort of shout out to that game at all.

The lack of QTEs. I hated those with a passion in unleashed and rejoiced when I found out they were gone. I also actually like the trick system. The actual 3D platforming was nice as well and I was surprised by all of the alternate routes and open spaces.

Finally some positive stuff!

- I thoroughly enjoyed the boss battles. I felt all of them were far better than their original incarnations and they're all unique. Only one I didn't like was of course the final one

- The visual design is absolutely stunning. Every area is full of life and charm. Take Speed Highway for example. The backdrop isn't just some pasted buildings, it's a whole city full of tall skyscrapers and flashing lights and cars on the highway. You're in a section of a world, rather than being boxed in some tiny arena like place.

- The level design is easily some of the best in the series. I enjoyed pretty much every moment of every main act. And there are so many little satisfying tricks you can do for both Classic and Modern Sonic. I could go into loads of detail on how much I love the level design, but I think it speaks for itself

- The skill system is awesome. The system compliments the rest of the controls and gameplay, rather than overpowers it like in Secret Rings.

- Amazing soundtrack. There's something for everyone.

- THE REFERENCES. NOSTALGIAGASM EVERYWHERE!

• Thumbs Up 3

The missions, most definitely. Most are kinda short but some are long enough to become another Act, which was quite heartening. Also liked some of the interesting abilities in the co-op missions, Rouge's, erm, charm and Vector's Chaotix-style throwing being good examples. And of course, the improved Modern formula, subtle throwbacks, and the sheer amount of unlockables were all pleasant surprises.

The biggest surprise, however, had to be

The Sonic 4 invincibility theme's cameo as one of the themes played during the Time Eater battle...

Yay, a positive topic! biggrin.png Honestly, you would think the game was horrible with all the negativity. People are all talking about what they didn't like over the many things the games actually did right.

The 3D platforming surprised me. I was expecting very little but there is quite a bit actually. You wouldn't guess that by looking at Green Hill. I also love the alternate paths in 3D. It's like Adventure level design mixed with the Unleashed

formula and a lot better controls.

The controls also surprised me. The demo did please me with them but later levels like Sky Sanctuary with more enemies and 3D platforming made me realize that this is the best Sonic ever controlled. unlike Adevnture and Colours, I have no problem jumping on to platforms or enemies in 3D.

Edited by PeanutButterDimond
  • Thumbs Up 1

The biggest surprise, however, had to be

The Sonic 4 invincibility theme's cameo as one of the themes played during the Time Eater battle...

It blew my mind the first time I watched the sequence and still does. Positively epic, if you ask me. smile.png

- I was surprised by just how complex level layouts are for both Modern and Classic Sonic. I always see something new on new playthroughs and they're so fun to explore.

- I absolutely love the musical variety and the remixes of songs from non-main series games and obscure games like Chaotix. Also the way other songs are mixed into level themes. Like Endless Mine in City Escape Classic, Sonic's theme in City Escape Modern and Ocean Palace's theme in Seaside Hill Modern.

- The cutscenes that differ depending on which Sonic you used to finish acts or enter bosses. You can actually see Modern's view of the mirror cutscene when he sees Classic for the first time. Most characters have different reactions depending on what Sonic saved them.

- The references to other games whether it be character animation/poses, level aspects or references in cutscenes such as Sonic referencing SatSR. Such a cool way of establishing canonicity.

• Thumbs Up 3

- The cutscenes that differ depending on which Sonic you used to finish acts or enter bosses. You can actually see Modern's view of the mirror cutscene when he sees Classic for the first time. Most characters have different reactions depending on what Sonic saved them.

I had no idea there were two versions of the mirror cutscene. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll definitely try clearing the stages with the opposite characters for my second playthrough.

Being able to choose whatever song you unlock in any stage, even the Final Boss! =D

Edited by Future-Hedgehog
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for pointing that out, Verte. I didn't realise the Mirror and Seaside Hill cutscenes differed depending on your Sonic aswell. I got the Modern side for the mirror scene.

In the way beginning... seeing that SEGA actually allowed themselves to put Classic Sonic made the game for me really, cause once they passed that mark, they could do anything from designing classic songs and tracks.

• Thumbs Up 1

How they made Silvers boss fight my favorite one in the entire game. Heck I'm surprised he didn't say his infamous line.

SA2:B was my first Sonic game.

Imagine my surprise seeing the pre-Shadow fight cutscene. Screw nostalgia boners, nostalgic tears of joy seem more appropriate!! ;A;

At the beginning of Classic Planet Wisp, look at the Wisp in the grass. See it dance? Exactly like Yacker in the Colours loading screens!

The game's soundtrack. It covers just about EVERYTHING in the series, and I love it! Not that I like this version more, but the fact that they remixed the US version of Stardust Speedway Bad Future for those who preferred that version better is touching.

Just to name a few.

As I am all about playing good cop in these topics, I may as well mention all the positive stuff I like in the game. Some of this is already mentioned, but ah well!

• First off, the two gameplay styles. You've the classic game play everybody knows and love, and the modern game play which has evolved to the best one yet.
  • Classic characters in 3D has it's own charm.
  • Platforming goodness, of course. And multiple pathways to warrant more replays. Y'know, like the old classic games. Those were short games, but you still played them over and over again.
  • The simple and funny story. Sure, it may've elaborated a bit more on some details, but that may be unnecessary. Again, like the classic games, there was barely any story in those, but we still loved them regardless. We can always fill in the blanks ourselves.
  • Recreating all the well known and loved stages from scrap rather than just copy and paste. Lots of effort gone there.
  • Easter Eggs abound. Always love me some Easter Eggs in anything at all, from posters to dancing wisps. There's fun to be had with these inclusions.
  • Brilliant remixes of music. While I may've liked the originals they were based on already, some of them just made me love them even more. (Particularly Sky Sanctuary and Stardust Speedway)
  • Didn't think the use of custom music would actually be another fun factor in itself. I find myself enjoying Time Eater a lot more once I set "It Doesn't Matter" as the tune, or "Endless Possibilities" with the Egg Dragoon. (Both were pretty challenging, but the music makes things better!). And of course using Super Sonic Racing for any stage~.
  • Reaping on our nostalgia! Sonic CD was my first owned Sonic game, and I always remembered the Metal Sonic race the most out of the game. Seeing it recreated here is just oodles of fun. And hearing the remixes of the Sonic 3 File Menu and the Sonic 3D intro just make me smile!
  • Ranking may seem a bit easier to do compared to the last few games, but then again, I'm more into getting S-Ranks than I was for games like SA2 or 06.
  • Some challenges I find both amusing and frustrating when it comes to S-Ranking. I know it's not necessary to get an S-Rank on them, but I'm always filled with satisfaction when I do.
  • Boss fights are a hoot to play through. While I may have trouble in getting S-Ranks with some of them, I still find them fun. Especially the Metal Sonic race.
  • My Collector's Edition~!

Think that's about all I can say about it for now. So yeah. Guess you can say I love the game, despite what minor problems it might have. Trying so hard to not play it when I want to get some other stuff done or take a break. Ah well! Once I'm done completing it 100%, I'll most likely leave it be for a while (and focus on other games and stuff) and take it out every now and again for some fun.

So yeah. Good game!

• Thumbs Up 1

The fact that Sega included the original It Doesn't Matter, I am... All of Me, and Sonic Boom as unlockable tracks. Also, the remixes to Perfect CHAOS Revival!, because I honestly didn't think the track would be remixed, or even used. I find the hub world's rendition especially awesome. <3 Oh, and the modern version of Seaside Hill, level and music. Even though I liked Sonic Heroes, I never really cared much about this stage or its music before now.

The fact that I am enjoying this game sooooo much is the biggest surprise of them all though. I knew I'd like the game, but I never thought it would be this much...It's one of the very few games I'm actually bothering to 100%, so that's saying something.

• Thumbs Up 1