SEGASonic Radio
RSS Feed
Follow the Sonic Stadium's Facebook Page
Follow TSS' Twitter

Photo

What surprised you positively about Generations?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#21 SpikySprinter

SpikySprinter

• TSS Member
  • 952 Posts:

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:55 PM

Metal Harbor, Emerald Coast, and Original Chemical Plant were three nice surprises to counterbalance the disappointing renditions of Open Your Heart, Live and Learn, and Sonic Heroes.

#22 Saber

Saber

"I ask you.... are you my master?"

• TSS Member
  • 719 Posts:

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:08 AM

In the way beginning... seeing that SEGA actually allowed themselves to put Classic Sonic made the game for me really, cause once they passed that mark, they could do anything from designing classic songs and tracks.

#23 Johnny the Tyrantrum

Johnny the Tyrantrum

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:12 AM

How they made Silvers boss fight my favorite one in the entire game. Heck I'm surprised he didn't say his infamous line.

#24 DestroyerOfKnothole

DestroyerOfKnothole

• Banned
  • 9 Posts:

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:21 AM

The fact that they actually made Open Your Heart BETTER than it previously was!

#25 VizardJeffhog

VizardJeffhog

Snowman tried to approach me and got leery!

• TSSnet Staff
  • 3,718 Posts:
  • Steam:VizardJeffhog
  • NNID:VizardJeffhog
  • XBL:VizardJeffhog

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:49 AM

SA2:B was my first Sonic game.
Imagine my surprise seeing the pre-Shadow fight cutscene. Screw nostalgia boners, nostalgic tears of joy seem more appropriate!! ;A;

At the beginning of Classic Planet Wisp, look at the Wisp in the grass. See it dance? Exactly like Yacker in the Colours loading screens!

The game's soundtrack. It covers just about EVERYTHING in the series, and I love it! Not that I like this version more, but the fact that they remixed the US version of Stardust Speedway Bad Future for those who preferred that version better is touching.

Just to name a few.

#26 Frobman

Frobman

A man with many non-confusing confusing stuff!

• TSS Member
  • 335 Posts:

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:00 AM

As I am all about playing good cop in these topics, I may as well mention all the positive stuff I like in the game. Some of this is already mentioned, but ah well!
  • First off, the two gameplay styles. You've the classic game play everybody knows and love, and the modern game play which has evolved to the best one yet.
  • Classic characters in 3D has it's own charm.
  • Platforming goodness, of course. And multiple pathways to warrant more replays. Y'know, like the old classic games. Those were short games, but you still played them over and over again.
  • The simple and funny story. Sure, it may've elaborated a bit more on some details, but that may be unnecessary. Again, like the classic games, there was barely any story in those, but we still loved them regardless. We can always fill in the blanks ourselves.
  • Recreating all the well known and loved stages from scrap rather than just copy and paste. Lots of effort gone there.
  • Easter Eggs abound. Always love me some Easter Eggs in anything at all, from posters to dancing wisps. There's fun to be had with these inclusions.
  • Brilliant remixes of music. While I may've liked the originals they were based on already, some of them just made me love them even more. (Particularly Sky Sanctuary and Stardust Speedway)
  • Didn't think the use of custom music would actually be another fun factor in itself. I find myself enjoying Time Eater a lot more once I set "It Doesn't Matter" as the tune, or "Endless Possibilities" with the Egg Dragoon. (Both were pretty challenging, but the music makes things better!). And of course using Super Sonic Racing for any stage~.
  • Reaping on our nostalgia! Sonic CD was my first owned Sonic game, and I always remembered the Metal Sonic race the most out of the game. Seeing it recreated here is just oodles of fun. And hearing the remixes of the Sonic 3 File Menu and the Sonic 3D intro just make me smile!
  • Ranking may seem a bit easier to do compared to the last few games, but then again, I'm more into getting S-Ranks than I was for games like SA2 or 06.
  • Some challenges I find both amusing and frustrating when it comes to S-Ranking. I know it's not necessary to get an S-Rank on them, but I'm always filled with satisfaction when I do.
  • Boss fights are a hoot to play through. While I may have trouble in getting S-Ranks with some of them, I still find them fun. Especially the Metal Sonic race.
  • My Collector's Edition~!
Think that's about all I can say about it for now. So yeah. Guess you can say I love the game, despite what minor problems it might have. Trying so hard to not play it when I want to get some other stuff done or take a break. Ah well! Once I'm done completing it 100%, I'll most likely leave it be for a while (and focus on other games and stuff) and take it out every now and again for some fun.

So yeah. Good game!

#27 Inaba

Inaba

Tewi

• TSS Member
  • 27 Posts:

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:29 AM

The fact that Sega included the original It Doesn't Matter, I am... All of Me, and Sonic Boom as unlockable tracks. Also, the remixes to Perfect CHAOS Revival!, because I honestly didn't think the track would be remixed, or even used. I find the hub world's rendition especially awesome. <3 Oh, and the modern version of Seaside Hill, level and music. Even though I liked Sonic Heroes, I never really cared much about this stage or its music before now.

The fact that I am enjoying this game sooooo much is the biggest surprise of them all though. I knew I'd like the game, but I never thought it would be this much...It's one of the very few games I'm actually bothering to 100%, so that's saying something.

#28 speedfreak

speedfreak

• TSS Member
  • 2,988 Posts:

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:33 AM

The level design was mostly pretty great.
Modern Sonic's controls are really nice.
The throwbacks to old games. Really loved Sonic's line about Secret Rings.
All that fantastic music and I can play it on any level/boss I want. Great Great Great!

#29 DudeManGuy

DudeManGuy

• TSS Member
  • 45 Posts:

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:45 AM

How fun classic sonic would be! I thought modern sonic would completely blow classic out of the water in terms of fun levels, but classic sonic was just as fun.

Also, the design of the hub world, the inclusion of classic Eggman, and unlockable music are great. I love using Sonic Boom or What I'm made Of for boss battles!

#30 Chaos Warp

Chaos Warp

I have no idea what to put here

• TSS Member
  • 5,146 Posts:
  • Skype:bmxskiawesomeness55 (say you're from SSMB when adding me)
  • Steam:chaoswarp
  • NNID:chaoswarp19 (say you're from SSMB when adding me)
  • XBL:son1c14 (say you're from SSMB when adding me)
  • PSN:chaoswarp19 (say you're from SSMB when adding me)
  • Location:Somewhere in the deep depths of Mystic Cave Zone......

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:49 AM

Yay, a positive topic! With all the criticism Generations is getting recently, it seems like we hate the game (which I know we don't)!

Alright, here's my list of standout surprises.
-All the 3d Platforming in Modern's stages. I did not expect all the stages to be like SSH/SS (I did not spoil the other stages for myself). But they all were! Almost all stages had good amounts of 3d and 2d platforming, and when there was a speed level, they compromised by having 2d platforming (like Chemical Plant and Speed Highway. Chemical plant is good, but Speed Highway, now THAT'S how you design a speed level. So many paths!), with Green Hill being the Unleashed-like odd one out.

-The music. OH GOD, THE MUSIC. Something for everyone in this soundtrack, and many of the remixes are better then the originals! My favorite track is probably a toss-up between Crisis City Classic and Rooftop Run Modern. CC Classic just feels so, epic, and the guitar harmony is just made of awesome. RTR Modern feels a lot more bouncy and lively then the original, which is saying something because the original already has the said qualities! And of course, the piano is awesome.

-The dynamic between Modern and Classic Sonic. It was great to see two cocky hogs' interact with each other, and I love the way Classic Sonic kind of seemed to look up to Modern Sonic as a big brother in some situations. The encouraged each other on and helped each other through the adventure.

There's plenty of other good things, but these are the things that REALLY stood out. Overall, despite it's story and length flaws, and the fact that the gameplay can still be improved, this game is still awesome. 9/10. I enjoy it more then Adventure 1 and 2, and I'd say as much as S3K or the other classics.

It's a classic in it's own right, people.

#31 chillycheif

chillycheif

• TSS Member
  • 15 Posts:

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:01 AM

classic sonic. i've never was any good on classic game so i thought i wouldnt like classic gameplay but i love it
modern sonic. i was excepting gameplay to be like unleashed (its gameplay was ok....) but what i got was even better than colors
silver.
the great music
the stages

#32 Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Moe~

• TSS Member
  • 1,903 Posts:

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:49 AM

Level design. When the game was first announced I really just expected Modern to play like Unleashed with little to no changes, and Classic to play like Sonic 4. I was pleasantly surprised when I found that, with the exception of Green Hill, practically every level for both mdoes was chock full of multiple paths, smart and fun platforming, and just great game design all around. It sometimes gets annoying when I'm in the Unleashed mindset trying to boost everywhere for the sake of speedruns, but that's just something I'll have to get used to.

The challenges were a lot more fun and diverse than I expected, some of them add a great deal to the level design and are extremely fun with cool and original ideas. No Galaxy-esque originality here, but considering they're just there for the sake of replay value and they're a HUGE improvement over the missions in every single Sonic game before it, I ain't complaining. I really liked the missions that had you skateboarding through most of City Escape, and snowboarding throughout Rooftop Run. Those,especially the latter, are just AWESOME.

#33 ハリネズミ

ハリネズミ

• TSS Member
  • 73 Posts:

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:55 AM

I'm going to have to go with the level design too. The small clips we got from trailers didn't really spoil much, and I'm glad they didn't- The alternate routes and variety of path types in this game is simply amazing. Well done Sonic Team, unlike Colors I can actually go back to this game and explore new routes! Posted Image

Edited by ハリネズミ, 07 November 2011 - 02:55 AM.

#34 SpikySprinter

SpikySprinter

• TSS Member
  • 952 Posts:

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:10 AM

One nice feature that more than makes up for the lack of the true Live and Learn and Open Your Heart is the fact that all alternate music remains unaltered when boosting. I was so relieved. I guess the reason that I keep mentioning that other problem is because it's such a tiny mistake that can be easily fixed but probably never will be. But I digress.

The Time Break skill is awesome for levels where you need super-precise jumps like C. City Escape. Was not expecting it.

The fact that every single level barring Modern GHZ and Classic Planet Wisp is superior to its original counterpart.

The length, diversity, enjoyability, and sheer number of missions (90 of them?! Get outta here!).

The first time I realized that when jumping underwater Sonic gets a sort of extra propulsion by holding in a direction.

The juicy brightness of the Red Rings. Seriously they look holy. Not to mention the rings themselves. They've never looked better.

Being able to play any music anywhere even if I raise an eyebrow at some of the choices made in this area.

The satisfaction of beating Shadow.

#35 Legendary Aqua

Legendary Aqua

It's Super Mega time

• TSS Member
  • 3,058 Posts:

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:28 AM

• First and foremost: The controls for Modern Sonic. They FINALLY got it right. This is how he SHOULD have been in both Unleashed AND Colors. There's almost nothing wrong with him (I would have preferred bumpers for rail switching, but whatevs)
  • Cindy Robinson's Amy is actually greatly improved from Free Riders. Nice going!
  • Balloon Park Remix! Didn't see that coming at all. Also mixing Quick Race and Balloon Park into one track
  • Mighty, Ray, Fang, Bean, and Bark all made cameos! Even cooler is that the former two are "missing" and the last three are "wanted" which matches their status in the comics.
  • The modern levels. They're so complex! Paths everywhere! They really hit the nail on the head with this one.
  • Just about every Sonic game that isn't on the Game Gear is referenced. This includes both Rushes, both Rivals, all three advances, all three Riders, and even Sonic Spinball. Even Mega Collection gets a nod!
  • Canonizing Secret Rings. I always knew it, but didn't want to admit it because that game sucks so much ass.
  • TIME EATER MUSIC. I had been recently listening to all of Kobayashi's phase 1 boss musics (Metal Madness, Solaris, Dark Gaia, Nega Wisp Armor) and wondered how this game would contribute. Modern Time Eater blows them all away. I didn't know SEGA's sound team could produce something of this quality. It sounds like it'd be in an actual movie or something. If this is Kobayashi again, it's his best work.
  • No main vocal theme, and thus no phase 2 remix of a vocal theme. Let me be the first to say Thank Primus. They dropped the ball on His World when they didn't put the vocals to the superior E3 version, Endless Possibilities was rather weak, and Reach For the Stars sounds like a reject Owl City track. The only decent Phase 2 was His World. The other two weren't all that special, and Endless Possibilities was actually laughable because Ohtani had the nerve to put the Amen Break in an orchestra song. While we're on the subject of theme musics:
  • No sugary ending music! Another life saver. The only good one was the Sweet Dreams remix because they put a sick back beat on it. The other two were forgettable.

#36 DistantJ

DistantJ

• TSS Member
  • 935 Posts:

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:38 AM

Crisis City classic.

I knew I was going to love Crisis City, because '06 was so built up for me, hyped beyond words, and the biggest let-down in gaming history to me. Crisis City was the most exciting and promising part of that game and I was very excited to see it finally realised properly in this game, and it didn't let me down. What was a surprise, though, was how good the classic rendition of it was. I always said that, aside from a different art style (and those stupid unnecessary human characters), '06's level designs etc. weren't as far removed from Sonic as everybody claimed them to be, and seeing how well the classic rendition of the level worked just proved to me that I had something there.

Fans of classic Sonic 'secrets' from BETA games etc. will appreciate this - I kept wanting to call the level 'Genocide City' :P

#37 Semi-colon e

Semi-colon e

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:14 PM

Perfect Chaos surprised me with how good it was, same with the ending cutscene and most of the boss fights aside from the last two.

The alternate paths in every level just stunned me, I'm still finding some to this day. Even the most linear levels have at least a couple at almost any given time. Oh and when I found the wall jump panel in Modern Speed Highway with the alternate rocket and the fifth red ring I was like HOLY SHIT the level of detail. Same with the shortcut on water in Modern Seaside Hill which bypasses most of the first 2D segment.

Also surprising was how much fun the alternate tracks were - Sonic Boom in Modern Speed Highway was just GREAT.

I didn't like most of the missions, but the boarding one in Rooftop Run was insane, going up the fucking clock tower.

Oh the control was great, even as classic Sonic. I rarely felt like the game was cheap, just at times it was genuinely hard. But you always had a fair chance to react and bottomless pits were only really at slow sections (Modern Crisis City being the shining star).

#38 DanielJ86

DanielJ86
  • 3DS:2320-6238-1537
  • NNID:Dan-imeJ86
  • PSN:Dan-imeJ86

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:56 PM

Oh goody. Posted Image
  • My first will have to be the cameos. How freakin' awesome was that?!
  • Tracks from Sonic R, Battle, Rivals 1 & 2 as well as both US and JAP/EU music from CD and most surprising of all, Knuckles Chaotix!!
  • Challenging levels. (I was worried that the levels might be too easy as most of them appeared early on, in there respective games.)
  • Being helped by a killer whale on Seaside Hill.
  • Watching the sign post drift by Classic Sonic on Crisis City. (It made me laugh.)
  • Freakin' awesome Boss/Rival battles! (except Time Eater.)
  • I'll have to say level design too. You can't just boost through a level, anything could come at you and you wouldn't have enough time to react. Not to mention possibly missing an alternate route that could be quicker.

#39 Marcello

Marcello
  • NNID:MarcelloF

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:04 PM

The cutscenes. I would've preferred more, but I really enjoyed them. The comedy was cringe worthy like Colors' (Which I also found funny) and they just made me smile. Still, next time I want a bit of a bigger story.

And being able to change the boring Time Eater music to "It Doesn't Matter", making the fight a lot cooler.

Edited by MarcelloF, 07 November 2011 - 04:05 PM.

#40 Frobman

Frobman

A man with many non-confusing confusing stuff!

• TSS Member
  • 335 Posts:

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:14 PM

Two things I forgot to mention were how the game looks amazing and gorgeous from textures to details, to how they made Silver look cool. I never had a problem with the guy, but I know a lot of people did, and I'd say this made up for his début appearance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users