Awoo.

What surprised you positively about Generations?

Emmett L. Brown

How many people liked it. I expected it to be a sort of "mild" success, where everyone kinda shrugs it off or says things like "It was pretty okay, but mediocre.", or especially "Classic Sonic was cool but WTF is that modern shit doing in here?!". I got a whole bunch of people who used to play Sonic on the Genesis to (at least) try the game, and most of them went out and bought it soon after, saying stuff like "Why didn't anyone tell me Sonic didn't suck anymore?". Most of them preferred the modern style gameplay as well, with a few of them liking both equally.

So yeah. Most pleasant surprise? The warm reception. <3 (Though there still are people who don't like it (I can respect that), or are idiots.)

• Thumbs Up 3

Aside from the obvious thing(remixes,levels graphics) I'd have to say the amount of time i've played it just looking for nostalgic refereces alone! Seriously i've found so much nostalgia that i didn't know about originally. Like that Classic Rooftop runs theme had that chao theme from SA2, or the tower part of planet wisp was a reference to the hamburger and tree parts from unleashed and colors. The werehogs(short but sweet)reference in classic RR. There's the hydrocity reference but thats pretty obvious. I just wish lava reef got a nod in crisis city. then i would have gone nuts!

The REMARKABLE job Cash Cash did with the music. I am a fan of those guys and support them staying with sonic. Other music like door into sumer was just amazing! The troll moves sega put in the game like the goal post, The live and learn intro during time eater then turns into sonic 4's theme. The amount of love i could tell went into classic sonic's levels. Like for example planet wisp classic was actually a mix to me of both planet wisp and bad future. There is a TON of stuff i could mention about this game but these are just the small things i liked to look at and treasure. REMARKABLE JOB SONIC TEAM.

Oh and the reaction to the game! It made me smile just knowing that many actually truely love this game.smile.png

Edited by The Amazing Spiderman

or the tower part of planet wisp was a reference to the hamburger and tree parts from unleashed and colors.

Or, you know, Act 4 of the original level :x

Or, you know, Act 4 of the original level :x

Well that is true, but i nonetheless like to consider it kind of a reference to all tower like segments in sonics recent history. DON'T RUIN IT!!!!tongue.png Edited by The Amazing Spiderman
  • Thumbs Up 1

I REALLY liked the graphics of the levels. I loved how deep they looked and they looked amazing. A couple examples are Green Hill and Planet Wisp where you can look in the background at all the scenery. It made me want to jump onto those parts and explore way over there.

Also that part in Rooftop Run where you grind from the top of the clock tower, that bit's incredible! It looks SO HIGH and the stuff like the hot air balloons make it look more beautiful to look at and fall past.

Being chased by the GUN truck in City Escape is a guilty pleasure of mine. A lot of swearing from me but I love it. XP

Of course the music too is excellent, it's a great nostalgia trip. My personal favourites are the Death Egg Robot and Big Arms Boss themes (although I haven't played the 3DS version yet, I did buy the soundtrack).

Classic Sonic also, he's adorable. The fact that they decided to not have him speak made it open for them to have him communicate through exaggerated actions and facial expressions. He was excellent.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

I liked the style transitions for each area between old-school and new(ish)-school Sonic.

I liked how the Death Egg Robot (The Narcis-bot in my mind) was handled, the way he walked made me chuckle. Considering how much I played Sonic 2, the Generations version is harder to me now.

The Metal Sonic battle was a brilliant tweak, it went from a death race to keep running and beat him up when he WAAAAAYYYY over does it with his attacks leaving him vulnerable from using so much energy.

The Shadow battle really got my blood pumping and still does.

And the "double the fat genius, double the true blue (gold?) humiliation."