Awoo.

Sonic Generations sales topic

Detective Shadzter

Thought we could do with a topic discussing Sonic Generations' sales, because we now have our first set of chart results and we should see more in the coming weeks.

UK Chart: Sonic Generations Just Barely Makes the UK Top 10

Last week’s UK chart results are in and Sonic’s big 20th Anniversary title Sonic Generations has just barely managed to make it into the top 10 All Formats chart at the number 10 spot, which isn’t bad for just two days of sales. In the Individual Units chart we can see the Xbox 360 version sold more than the PS3 version at the 14th and 21st positions respectively. In both of the Xbox 360 and PS3 charts, the game has ranked 6th place.

We should a better idea of how Sonic Generations is faring with the public next Monday when the game will have a full week of sales behind it.

Source: Chart Track

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it's really good start. In top 10 with only 2 days out. I'm not expecting to beat Battlefield or Uncharted but it will go higher.

Solid Start for Generations. I hope it goes up from here. There are some big names coming so i won't be disappointed if i don't see top 3 or something.

EDIT: Shame on me for forgetting. THANKS A LOT SHADZTER! =D

Edited by MoDeRn frokenok3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wasn't Sonic Generations the most preordered Sonic game of all time, even beating out the incredibly high-selling Sonic 2, Sonic Adventures 1 and 2, and Sonic Heroes (the latter of which was in still the UK Top 10 over a year after its release)? I think it will do just fine in sales.

And I hope it does, it's an excellent game, though I hope the Metacritic average helps Sonic Team to understand this game's short-comings and improve upon them for future titles.

Edited by EXshad

Wasn't Sonic Generations the most preordered Sonic game of all time, even beating out the incredibly high-selling Sonic 2, Sonic Adventures 1 and 2, and Sonic Heroes (the latter of which was in still the UK Top 10 over a year after its release)? I think it will do just fine in sales.

And I hope it does, it's an excellent game, though I hope the Metacritic average helps Sonic Team to understand this game's short-comings and improve upon them for future titles.

Yes but remember this, back then Pre ordering wasn't a big deal, and not a popular thing. Today, everyone's advertising gamestop and what not to get pre orders in, so you gotta count that in as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's been in the top sellers category on Steam for I think at least a week now. It was in the third spot behind MW3 and Skyrim until today. Now it's been knocked to fifth place by Football Manager and Dungeon Defenders.

I hope this game sells well.

Chart Track only record retail PC sales, so we won't see a PC entry for Sonic Generations until the boxed retail version comes out later this month. If someone is able to get records for the Steam version, feel free to post them here. I don't have a Steam account, as I don't game on my PC.

I thought VGChartz was incorrect or unreliable.

That's what i heard too. Oh well, they can't be really that much off the mark. Anyway i will wait for SEGA to officially announce sales just how they did with Colors.

VGChartz updated as of Nov. 5th...

http://www.vgchartz....rica&date=40846

http://www.vgchartz.....php?date=40846

Americas

6. Sonic Generations (360) - 98,748 units sold (72,593 preordered week before)

15. Sonic Generations (PS3) - 71,127 units sold (54,740 preordered week before)

I thought VGChartz was incorrect or unreliable.

That's what i heard too. Oh well, they can't be really that much off the mark. Anyway i will wait for SEGA to officially announce sales just how they did with Colors.

VGChartz is notorious for being incorrect and unreliable. Their figures are unofficial and complete guesswork.

• Thumbs Up 2

VGChartz is notorious for being incorrect and unreliable. Their figures are unofficial and complete guesswork.

Thanks for the heads up Shadzter!

If someone is able to get records for the Steam version, feel free to post them here.

If my memory over debates on the sales of all versions of Deus Ex: Human Revolution isn't lying to me, I think Steam doesn't release sales figures...

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people were waiting for reassurance from friends and reviewers that the game really is good this time, so I actually expect the week one sales to be poorer than they should be and later sales to improve significantly.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people were waiting for reassurance from friends and reviewers that the game really is good this time, so I actually expect the week one sales to be poorer than they should be and later sales to improve significantly.

Well from my experience, my friends, media, and in general costumers in Sonic games. They tend to pick up slowly rather than making a bang. I mean Colors first 2 weeks were good but not THAT good. In the end it managed to sell over 2 millions.

Sonic never sell with a bang. Unleashed/ Colors sold well as the weeks go by, Don't expect a Mario thing, where first week its a million sold. In the end? Like stated above, Colors, even Secret Rings got over 2 million. Sega Racing over one million for Wii (system that sold best on) so give it time. Im actually expecting not great numbers this week.

I don't expect to see very high numbers, whether you like to admit it or not I don't think the Sonic franchise's reputation is at that high a level yet to warrant high numbers (thank you Sonic 06), though Generations is a very good start. Don't get me wrong though, I'd love to hear the game is selling extremely well, particularly on PC, I want more PC releases damnit! :P I think it'll take Sonic Team one more bullseye or two to get the franchise selling high numbers upon release. Like everyone else has said, you'll probably see a bit of a pickup in sales as word of mouth spreads.

People are saying the sales are amazing. I think I might have to disagree here.

Uncharted 3 sold almost 4 million copies on day 1.

Modern Warfare 3.. I can't even go there.

Skyrim has had 300k playing the game today on Steam.

Super Mario 3DLand sold 300k in Japan - Nearly 2 weeks worth of shipments.

(/party pooper)

But I would have to agree that Sonic Generations will probably end up selling a bunch in the long run. At least 1 million copies by next year.

Well something i was afraid will happen.

So many Major releases near each other was bound to make Generations drop.

MW3, U3, SM3DLand, Zelda, BF3, AC:Revelations, Skyrim, Rayman, UMVC3 etc.

It was a bad release date for SG. If they released it at the end of the month it would have been much better.

Having said that though i don't think Generations will do bad in General in all consoles. Like i said before Sonic games pick up slow and steadily.