Awoo.

Sonic Generations sales topic

Detective Shadzter

For the last week though.

Generations has been ranked number 1 at my local HMV, whilst I suspect they just didn't replace them with MW3's for it to have been put up there must have meant that they had a lot of orders for it, or at the very least it was selling well otherwise it wouldn't have been put up there.

Its not just the major releases... hell old old games are beating it. Mario Kart Wii, New Super Mario Brothers Wii, Wii Sports....even...Mario vs DK March of the mini's seriously .__.' im guessing people forgot generations rather quickly, even with all the hype and commercials.

Its not just the major releases... hell old old games are beating it. Mario Kart Wii, New Super Mario Brothers Wii, Wii Sports....even...Mario vs DK March of the mini's seriously .__.' im guessing people forgot generations rather quickly, even with all the hype and commercials.

It looks like us sonic fans are the only ones that can keep sonic alive really. at this point the majority of people that wanted it got it the first few weeks, and those that haven't yet will but they will be less in numbers.

What, guys? Did you really expect SG to be on the top with the games like COD or TES? Modern Sonic games are nowhere as popular as they were in times of the classic games or Sonic adventure. Let's just be happy that Generations gets such high score from the majority of reviewers!

I couldn't care less about charts.

What, guys? Did you really expect SG to be on the top with the games like COD or TES? Modern Sonic games are nowhere as popular as they were in times of the classic games or Sonic adventure. Let's just be happy that Generations gets such high score from the majority of reviewers!

I couldn't care less about charts.

charts matter alot as well. it allow Sega to gauge how well the game was recieved and how much money they recovered after all there development. If it doesn't sell well then Sega may never attempt another anniversary titles.

charts matter alot as well. it allow Sega to gauge how well the game was recieved and how much money they recovered after all there development. If it doesn't sell well then Sega may never attempt another anniversary titles.

Couldn't they just like...count money? I thought it was them who's got actual numbers, not some charts, reviewers and whatnot.

Couldn't they just like...count money? I thought it was them who's got actual numbers, not some charts, reviewers and whatnot.

the charts signify sales sure they could count the money but it would then ulitmately lead to charts that the execs would see, so if sales weren't what they expected they would try to do the same thing again. looking at you Shadow the Hedgehog.

im guessing people forgot generations rather quickly, even with all the hype and commercials.

Hype and commercials? Lolwut? Maybe it's different in other countries, but here in the UK I haven't seen a single ad for Sonic Generations. Aside from some posters in shop windows(which are overshadowed by posters of other more well known releases) and the fact there was a demo, it's very difficult for the average gamer out there to even know of the existence of Sonic Generations. Only people that regularly go on video game websites really know about Generations, and even then it didn't get anywhere near as much coverage on those sites as other big releases do.

Hype and commercials? Lolwut? Maybe it's different in other countries, but here in the UK I haven't seen a single ad for Sonic Generations. Aside from some posters in shop windows(which are overshadowed by posters of other more well known releases) and the fact there was a demo, it's very difficult for the average gamer out there to even know of the existence of Sonic Generations. Only people that regularly go on video game websites really know about Generations, and even then it didn't get anywhere near as much coverage on those sites as other big releases do.

in the US 4 kids runs the ads for generations, but i honestly have seen more mario & sonic ads on tv than generations

Like team chaotix said, Chart Track is the official sales charts website for the UK. They aren't like that unofficial US site VGChartz that posts up guesstimates. The chart position gives an idea of how well a game is selling, so these lower and lower drops for Sonic Generations aren't very good for SEGA's sales at all. If the drops continue, then next week it won't be in the Top 40 All Formats chart at all.

in the US 4 kids runs the ads for generations, but i honestly have seen more mario & sonic ads on tv than generations

Here in the UK I see a Mario and Sonic London 2012 Olympics ad all the time. Over here that game has as much tv coverage as any other big release out there.

Generations will sell well no doubt. It's sure not gonna sell big numbers like call of duty, but it will still sell well regardless.

• Thumbs Up 1

It is basically why I have always been critical on the quality of todays sonic games. If they cant even be better than past generations games on a technical level, how the hell do you reach the general audience with so many quality games kind of blocking it's reach?

ESPECIALLY in sonic's case it's a major problem because sonic's reputation isn't all that great. Sonic needs to blow away people again like he did in the 90's. Sonic generations may be great, but it's far from mindblowing.

It's also why average/mediocre games like last years free riders and the 3ds version of generations piss me off so much. They're not helping at all.

Edited by Djawed

Here in the UK I see a Mario and Sonic London 2012 Olympics ad all the time. Over here that game has as much tv coverage as any other big release out there.

Well here in the US, I see alot of commercials on Generations, I also even saw NYC bus's with posters of it. I guess it depends on where you live. But regardless, around the world, it isn't doing well.

It is basically why I have always been critical on the quality of todays sonic games. If they cant even be better than past generations games on a technical level, how the hell do you reach the general audience with so many quality games kind of blocking it's reach?

ESPECIALLY in sonic's case it's a major problem because sonic's reputation isn't all that great. Sonic needs to blow away people again like he did in the 90's. Sonic generations may be great, but it's far from mindblowing.

It's also why average/mediocre games like last years free riders and the 3ds version of generations piss me off so much. They're not helping at all.

The M@S games could arguably be described as being mediocre, yet the sell fine (well really fine). The problem here is marketing or the fact that I don't know of many million seller platformers on the 360 or PS3 (that don't have the marketing support of a first party).

Edited by blackherox

The M@S games could arguably be described as being mediocre, yet the sell fine (well really fine). The problem here is marketing or the fact that I don't know of many million seller platformers on the 360 or PS3 (that don't have the marketing support of a first party).

Don't the M&S games sell worse with each game?

Hopefully the release of the 3DS and retail PC versions of Sonic Generations this Friday will give the game a lift in the charts.

Don't the M&S games sell worse with each game?

I hardly call, going from selling 12 Million to 7 Million units worse'.

Edited by blackherox

M@S are casual party games, which will always sell more than a hardcore game unless said hardcore game is already popular, seeing how Sonic is still more or less in a rut, I can kind of see how the former would out sell it.

I hardly call, going from selling 12 Million to 7 Million units worse'.

Lolwut, are you kidding me? That's 5 million units. Do you know how much money that is? The reductions of official sonic games sales is nothing compared to the M&S games.

You're missing the point I tried to make. That's a pretty large number of people that probably thought the first one was gonna be good, and ended up being average, hence they didnt buy the next installment. Now that wouldn't have been the case if the M&S games werent only treated as cash ins but rather top quality allround fun olympic games. This is how I think average/mediocre side sonic projects affect sonic's reputation.

Sonicteam probably has been making alot of cash in short terms, but in long term it is not a good idea to make all these average games and ruin sonic's reputation everytime he redeems himself again(to certain degree)

Edited by Djawed

5 million? Thats more then Sonic 2 back in the day during that era. Thats actually really good. The Olympic are SEGA's best sellers right now.

About the commercials, I've seen them run on ESPN at least twice few hours for the past 2 weeks, also on stations like FOX and Spike a lot. That's a lot of promo..but not much to show or it at the moment. Things will get better though.

Sonic Generations Climbs Back Up The UK Chart

http://www.sonicstad...p-the-uk-chart/

Top 40 All Formats: Up from No.37 to No.25

http://www.chart-tra...t.jsp&ct=110015

Top 30 PS3: Up from No.16 to No.13

http://www.chart-tra...t.jsp&ct=110031

Top 40 Xbox 360: Up from No.23 to No.21

http://www.chart-tra...t.jsp&ct=110027

Top 10 Nintendo 3DS: Debuted at No.4

http://www.chart-tra...t.jsp&ct=310019

Top 20 PC: Debuted at No.14

http://www.chart-tra...t.jsp&ct=110022

Keep in mind that Chart Track only records retail PC sales. The retail PC version released on Friday, like the 3DS version.

So far the PC version has sold more than 17523 copies.

In the leaderboards there's 3680 players listed for Green Hill Act 1, and in the global achievements page it lists that 21% of all players have the "Join the Ranks" achievement. If all players who got the "Join the Ranks" achievement played through Green Hill Act 1 in the online mode, that would mean that there would be around 17523 copies registered on Steam.

But, since there are players that have the achievement who haven't played Green Hill Act 1 in the online mode, this means that there's more than 17523 copies sold. While it's impossible to know how many copies have been sold exactly, with this we can know that at the very least there were more than 17523 copies sold so far.

This isn't much, but for a game from a franchise that is not popular on the PC that was released in a month with many other popular releases, I guess it's not too bad.

sonicgenerationspcsales.jpg

Edited by ezodagrom
  • Thumbs Up 1