Awoo.

Sonic Generations sales topic

Detective Shadzter

The sales of Sonic Generations should get a big surge in the UK soon. Its taken a while, but they've finally started to show TV ads for Generations in the UK. Now that I think about it, this is a wise decision by Sega. Better than starting the TV ads when it first came out at full price when it would be competing with all those massive releases. Now that the price has gone down significantly and the fact these ads are coming a few weeks after all the massive November releases, this should help sales. Advertising the fact it's gone down to £19.99 should see a surge in sales in the UK. I see the ad fairly regularly now, which is a big step up from the awful advertising for Colours last year. I've seen the ad for Generations more times this morning alone than I ever saw the TV ad for Colours!

By the way £19.99! Holy crap! That's pretty damn cheap. It went down a lot pretty quickly. If Generations doesn't get good sales in the UK at that price then the franchise is doomed.

The sales of Sonic Generations should get a big surge in the UK soon. Its taken a while, but they've finally started to show TV ads for Generations in the UK. Now that I think about it, this is a wise decision by Sega. Better than starting the TV ads when it first came out at full price when it would be competing with all those massive releases. Now that the price has gone down significantly and the fact these ads are coming a few weeks after all the massive November releases, this should help sales. Advertising the fact it's gone down to £19.99 should see a surge in sales in the UK. I see the ad fairly regularly now, which is a big step up from the awful advertising for Colours last year. I've seen the ad for Generations more times this morning alone than I ever saw the TV ad for Colours!

By the way £19.99! Holy crap! That's pretty damn cheap. It went down a lot pretty quickly. If Generations doesn't get good sales in the UK at that price then the franchise is doomed.

What TV channels did you see these adverts on? Just out of curiosity.

It's good to see that the adverts are going out now, as said, and with such a low price tag, the top three does seem likely.

Actually, the UK TV ads have been running since around launch. I saw it around that time one night when I was watching either X Factor or I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here. Also, they aren't advertising the discounted price of the console version with the 'From £19.99' price. That's the RRP of the recently released retail PC version.

M@S are casual party games, which will always sell more than a hardcore game unless said hardcore game is already popular, seeing how Sonic is still more or less in a rut, I can kind of see how the former would out sell it.

Correct.

Lolwut, are you kidding me? That's 5 million units. Do you know how much money that is? The reductions of official sonic games sales is nothing compared to the M&S games.

The M@s games, do not cost very much to make. If your actually saying that still selling 7 Million is bad in anyway, then the vast majority of video games ever released are in trouble.

You're missing the point I tried to make.

That is because your point makes no sense. Reduction or no, those sales figures are still frickin good and any developer/company would love to have them. Again, considering how cheap M@S games are to make, thats still a significant amount of funds on Sonic part. Hell even if the series sells only a Million its still better than games that would take more time and resources (and therefore money) to make.

If this is a quality issue, well quality does not always equal quantity. That should be obvious at this point, considering reviewers rated M@S2 better than the first one and the fandom loved the 2nd one more, yet (as you said) it still sold less.

Sonicteam probably has been making alot of cash in short terms, but in long term it is not a good idea to make all these average games and ruin sonic's reputation everytime he redeems himself again(to certain degree)

I'd like to think that the vast majority of people who bought the M@S games were people in the general public who don't spend most of their time debating about whether IGN or gamespot gave a game a 4 or an 8.

Edited by blackherox

Sonic Generations has been on the best sellers list on Gamestop.com for both PS3 and 360. during the week. I think the sale may have had something to do with it.

Sonic Generations Retains 25th Position in the UK Chart

News · Posted on December 5, 2011 by Shadzter

Sonic-Generations-TGS-2011-PS3-Xbox-360-Screenshots-6-300x168.jpg

Despite a full week of sales for the Nintendo 3DS and retail PC versions, Sonic Generations has failed to move higher in the UK Top 40 All Formats chart this week and instead retained its position at no.25. In the Top 30 PS3 chart, the game held on to its place at no.13, while in the Top 40 Xbox 360 chart it stepped up two places from no.21 to no.19. In the Top 10 Nintendo 3DS chart and Top 20 PC chart, it’s not good news, as Sonic Generations has fell from no.4 to no.8 in the former and dropped off the latter completely.

However, it’s good news for Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games, with the Wii game having moved up two places from no.13 to no.11 in the Top 40 All Formats chart and retaining its no.2 spot in the Top 30 Wii chart.

Source: Chart Track

http://www.sonicstad...n-the-uk-chart/

• 4 weeks later...

So far the PC version has sold more than 17523 copies.

In the leaderboards there's 3680 players listed for Green Hill Act 1, and in the global achievements page it lists that 21% of all players have the "Join the Ranks" achievement. If all players who got the "Join the Ranks" achievement played through Green Hill Act 1 in the online mode, that would mean that there would be around 17523 copies registered on Steam.

But, since there are players that have the achievement who haven't played Green Hill Act 1 in the online mode, this means that there's more than 17523 copies sold. While it's impossible to know how many copies have been sold exactly, with this we can know that at the very least there were more than 17523 copies sold so far.

This isn't much, but for a game from a franchise that is not popular on the PC that was released in a month with many other popular releases, I guess it's not too bad.

sonicgenerationspcsales.jpg

Based on this, at the time of this post there's 6327 players on the rank attack for Green Hill Act 1, and 12.2% of players got the achievement "Join the Ranks". This means that the PC version has sold more than 51860 copies so far (there are players who got the achievement but haven't played through Green Hill Act 1 in the rank attack mode, so this isn't the exact number of copies that have been sold, it's possible that the number of copies that have been sold could be several thousands higher).

To add to that I recall seeing Generations up in the top grossing game of the day on Steam thanks to the $10 sale.

To add to that I recall seeing Generations up in the top grossing game of the day on Steam thanks to the $10 sale.

• 4 weeks later...

Sega has revealed their Q3 report. Sonic Generations has sold 1.63 million copies across all platforms.

By comparison, Mario and Sonic at the London Olympics 2012 has sold 2.39 million copies on only a single platform.

Added an extra detail in there for impact. The 3DS version isn't even out ye.

So, Generations hasn't been so hot, right? I foresee two things from this;

1. It'll be a slowburner like Unleashed and make up the numbers over time.

2. It'll prove to be stay like that, to which the blame can be put on it having to fight a shitload of AAA titles when it was released. Well, mostly. I'd almost bet that its shortness could also be to blame in small part; if word got out that it could be completed in so little time, it could theoretically drive the general puplic to rent the game as opposed to buying a copy for themselves.

Of course, I'm just mouthing off here.

• 4 weeks later...

The Sonic Colors hasn't been updated in awhile (actually after awhile many Sonic games, that site just doesnt update for some odd reason) But in an interview by Sega before Christmas, they said Sonic Colors (combines DS/Wii) sold more then 2 million.

• 2 weeks later...

Just bumping to see if any new figures have come out since we lask checked, since this week marks the fourth month of sales for the game.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys. The Sales above don't quite match the sales here so I'll post this.

Sega earnings down in fiscal 2011, Mario & Sonic sell 3 million (joystiq.com)

Jeez, I really thought Generations was going to do better. Welp, goodbye to this game ever happening again. Guess those Wii owners really got their payback huh?...

But then again, Could be more, Isn't it true that Steam doesn't release sales reports on the PC versions of games? maybe the PC port isn't lumped in with this. And if thats the case, that means this whole sales amount could be more because of the lack of correct PC sales figures.

Kind of wish the article broke down the versions and see what sold allot in which version.

Edited by goku262002

1.68 million is good. It got more then the previous game, Colors, and the only reason Unleashed got more is because it was the first Sonic game after that bad 2006 one.

I thought Colors got 2 Million come release day? or was that rumor stomped out?

I am pretty sure Sonic Colours sold 2.10mil across all platforms in one year.

Sonic Gen has sold 1.85mil according to Sega in 5 months across platforms.(Not sure about PC)

To me that's pretty good!

Also that shoes that Sonic has a good fanbase on Nintendo consoles.

• 1 month later...