#1 Status King Shadzter

Status King Shadzter

Bow down to your Status King!

• TSSnet Staff
  • 14,153 Posts:

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:29 PM

Iizuka: “We Will Probably See Sonic Going into Other Genres of Games”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l5739EElBc&feature=player_embedded
In an interview with GameReactor.eu, Sonic Team head Takashi Iizuka talks about where we might see the Sonic franchise go in the future. When asked how he sees the next 20 years for Sonic, Iizuka explains that while Sonic Team will keep a focus on Sonic action titles, they would also like Sonic to reach out to a wider audience. To achieve this, Iizuka says “We will probably see Sonic going into other genres of games and also seeing Sonic in different media.”

Source: GameReactor.eu

http://www.sonicstad...enres-of-games/

I can see this news get a lot of rage, but I personally wouldn't mind seeing Sonic explore more genres alongside the main action games.

#2 Saber

Saber

"I ask you.... are you my master?"

• TSS Member
  • 719 Posts:

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:32 PM

Im really hoping it isn't drastic. Sonic with a gun to fight in war? Sonic with who knows what. If they adventure off to far like they did with Black Knight ect then Sega will be backtracking instead of moving forward.

Im more afraid then against it. I HOPE he doesn't bring the Sonic Cycle back. Yes a phrase many here don't like, but I hope its good rather then well, sucking.

#3 Johnny the Tyrantrum

Johnny the Tyrantrum

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:32 PM

Uh oh. This won't sit well with most fans now will it?

#4 Ruby Havoc

Ruby Havoc

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:34 PM

Other genres huh? Another Sonic fighting game please. Aka Sonic Battle 2.

Edited by Torcano Havoc, 08 November 2011 - 11:35 PM.

#5 Fluffle Puff

Fluffle Puff

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:34 PM

So in other words, Sonic Adventure 3 with Mech Shooting, treasure hunting and god knows what else?

Here we go again.

Edited by Derpy Hooves, 08 November 2011 - 11:34 PM.

#6 Inferno

Inferno

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:36 PM

POPULAR

I'm ok with this.

Not afraid of change like the rest of the universe.

#7 Octarine

Octarine

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:36 PM

I don't see how this is much different from what we've had already. We've already had more than one fighting game, a party game, three Olympics-themed mini-game collections, a sorta-Metroidvania, a tennis game, a racing game, an RPG... unless we're talking about Guitar Hero Crush 40 or something, I don't see what the big deal is.

"Different media", though; that is interesting. I suppose it'd be unreasonable to hope for a new, non-terrible Sonic cartoon? Posted Image

#8 Ekaje

Ekaje

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:37 PM

Im really hoping it isn't drastic. Sonic with a gun to fight in war? Sonic with who knows what. If they adventure off to far like they did with Black Knight ect then Sega will be backtracking instead of moving forward.

Im more afraid then against it. I HOPE he doesn't bring the Sonic Cycle back. Yes a phrase many here don't like, but I hope its good rather then well, sucking.

I'm pretty sure this is referring more to spinoffs like the All-Stars games and stuff, not gameplay gimmicks like swords and guns.

#9 eXtaticus

eXtaticus

Forgive me if I withhold my enthusiasm.

• Banned
  • 1,537 Posts:

SA2-esque mechs and some slick shmup action please, Sega - and if you could, an After Burner-styled section for Tails' tornado sequences rather than the glorified QTEs and rubbish on-rails shooting that we've had so far.

This sits well with me, so long as at least over a third of the gameplay is still the traditional speedy platforming.

Edited by eXtaticus, 08 November 2011 - 11:38 PM.

#10 sonfan1984

sonfan1984

• TSS Member
  • 3,292 Posts:

Sonic already explored other genres so why would the fans raged about this? It's not like Sonic hasn't already done this before. I wouldn't mind another Sonic racing or fighting spin off game.

Edited by sonfan1984, 08 November 2011 - 11:41 PM.

#11 Johnny the Tyrantrum

Johnny the Tyrantrum

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:38 PM

I'm pretty sure this is referring more to spinoffs like the All-Stars games and stuff, not gameplay gimmicks like swords and guns.

Oh well in that case, bring on sega all stars fighting!

#12 McGroose

McGroose

• TSS Member
  • 704 Posts:

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:39 PM

I don't mind change, as long as its something that can actually match sonic.
Although I preferred the werehog over nearly all the alternate gameplay styles that weren't sonic stages.
Although if there just spin off like All stars racing, I don't really care.

Edited by Mephiles550, 08 November 2011 - 11:40 PM.

#13 Gamerguy21

Gamerguy21

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:41 PM

Oh no... While I personally don't mind this news myself (as long as the new games are good), this probably isn't going to help the general media's perception of Sonic too much. I thought that Sega would try to release a few more good/great pure Sonic games to fully win the the public over before trying something like this. As great as Generations was, it and Colors probably aren't enough to have the public trust Sega with genre-shifting gameplay again.

#14 Soniman

Soniman

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:41 PM

As long as other game genres don't start infecting the main series again, im all for it.

#15 Status King Shadzter

Status King Shadzter

Bow down to your Status King!

• TSSnet Staff
  • 14,153 Posts:

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:42 PM

Sonic already explored other genres before so why would the fans raged about this? I wouldn't mind another Sonic racing or fighting game.

Just wait until the news hits the SEGA Forums Posted Image Some people don't like change, even if it has happened before and some will claim Iizuka's going to drag Sonic through the mud.

I'd like them to explore more genres myself, though. I enjoyed Chronicles, Battle and the Sonic Riders series. I especially enjoyed SEGA Superstars Tennis and Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing, though they don't really count as Sonic games.

#16 eXtaticus

eXtaticus

Forgive me if I withhold my enthusiasm.

• Banned
  • 1,537 Posts:

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:43 PM

I totally forgot about pinball! Sonic 2 and Adventure are both absolutely fantastic games that benefited massively from their pinball sequences, and Sonic Spinball was also fairly awesome in itself - now THAT is something I'd love to see return in a big way!

#17 HunterTSF

HunterTSF

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:45 PM

FINALLY.

I've been starving for more spin-offs. A fighting game? Another racing game? Goddamnit, I'd even be fine with Team Fortress 2 with badniks or a JRPG headed by Sonic Team.

THIS PLEASES ME GREATLY. Do it to it, you game devs!

#18 Nepenthe

Nepenthe

It's 80-frikkin'-degrees! Take off ALL the layers

• SSMB Moderator
  • 7,714 Posts:
  • XBL:NepentheSSMB

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:46 PM

I'm perfectly okay with that, although I'm more interested in the "different media" part of the quote. I hope that's PR speak for "more shorts." It's still a travesty that such a idea hasn't been tried again since Unleashed.

#19 sonfan1984

sonfan1984

• TSS Member
  • 3,292 Posts:

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:46 PM

Just wait until the news hits the SEGA Forums Posted Image Some people don't like change, even if it has happened before and some will claim Iizuka's going to drag Sonic through the mud.

I don't go to the SEGA forums and the last time I was there some members who don't like Iizuka were saying that anyway before Colors was released.

#20 Gatestormer

Gatestormer

I never know what to put in here ):

• TSS Member
  • 1,204 Posts:

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:48 PM

We'll see Sonic branching into mother media will we Iizuka? Very interesting.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users