Awoo.

How Does Generations Compare to Your Other Favourite Sonic Games?

Your Vest Friend

So, Generations has been out a week in America (a little less in Europe), and the majority of people who picked it up right after the release have already completed most of the game. It's time to formally ask the question that always crops up; how does Generations fare compared to other Sonic games? Where does it lie in your list of favourites?

For me, I'm not sure. I know for a fact it hasn't breached the top five (NOT EVEN CLOSE), but I'd hesitate to say that it might slot in somewhere between #7-#10th favourite. The reason I have a range is because I know I liked Unleashed better, but aren't sure where that lies on the scale. Hmm...I'll go on a limb and say it's ninth, for now.

So, what about you?

• Thumbs Up 1

Probably My third or fourth favorite sonic title. It's tied between unleashed for me. While Sonic adventure is number two and SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG IS NUMBER 1! No just kidding, Sonic 3&K is one.If it was longer and had a bit more content i would probably have it as my number 2.Hopefully dlc will do that.

Edited by Classic Hedgehogs Boost

I don't know where to put it in my list. Generations is one of my favorite recent 3D Sonic games, the only thing that disappointed me is the story and the lack of characters interactions. I was expecting a lot more since it's a 20th anniversary game. I also wish that the game is a bit longer, but atleast the mission and the unlockables will keep me busy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Think it has the best gameplay seen so far in the 3D games, but as for everything else; refinement, content, clarity and crispness of cutscenes, presentation, general feel, and just how everything goes together, Unleashed is still higher for me over all because while (yeah yeah the werehog I get it GEEZ..though I thought it was fine) I still got more out of it in the end. If not for that stuff, and if it had the polish and budget of Unleashed, Generation's would've been on top.

I think my list is currently:

1.Unleashed

2.Generations

3.Colors

4.Sa2

5.Heroes

6.Adventure

7.Shadow

[/controversial opinions up in here] Please note that I'm not just talking about gameplay here, but what I felt the entire package had to offer.

Not listing the Classics, I kinda see them in a different league...or something, to be on the same list.

Plus were would Sonic 4 fall?

Forgot about 4 XP I usually just count it with the Classic and 2D titles myself.

Edited by 'Ferno
  • Thumbs Up 1

Think it has the best gameplay seen so far in the 3D games, but as for everything else; refinement, content, clarity and crispness of cutscenes, presentation, general feel, and just how everything goes together, Unleashed is still higher for me over all because while (yeah yeah the werehog I get it GEEZ..though I thought it was fine) I still got more out of it in the end. If not for that stuff, and if it had the polish and budget of Unleashed, Generation's would've been on top.

I think my list is currently:

1.Unleashed

2.Generations

3.Colors

4.Sa2

5.Heroes

6.Adventure

7.Shadow

Not listing the Classics, I kinda see them in a different league...or something, to be on the same list.

But Colors i though was a classic game.tongue.png Jking of course.

Plus were would Sonic 4 fall?

Plus you could put generations in a classic league since half the game is classic.tongue.png

Edited by Classic Hedgehogs Boost
  • Thumbs Up 1

For me, #1 is Sonic Adventure 2, #2 is Sonic 3 and Knuckles, then Sonic Adventure, and Generations is after that. So i'd say its number 4 on my list of favorite sonic games.

Since I actually liked all of the levels, as opposed to most of the levels, I'd say it's my favorite. It's got more pure Sonic levels than any other 3D game, while being just under S3&K in terms of sheer number of levels and making up for it with tons of missions and other forms of replay value.

1. Sonic Generations

2. Sonic CD

3. Sonic 3 & Knuckles

4. Sonic Colors

5. Sonic 2

6. Sonic 1

7. Rush

Everything else had far too many glaring flaws to even make it on the list.

• Thumbs Up 5

Generations is easily in my top 3, and I haven't even gotten to the third (Modern era) part yet. XD

Seriously, the gameplay is great for both Modern and Classic Sonic, and that (gameplay) is pretty much only what I judge Sonic games on personally. The large amount of references, graphics, music, and other aesthetic qualities are the icing on the proverbial cake, as it were. It's definitely revitalized the Sonic franchise, in my eyes.

So my top 5 list as of now is looking like:

1) Sonic CD

2) Sonic Generations

3) Sonic 3 and Knuckles

4) Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut

5) Sonic Adventure 2: Battle

Edited by D-Metal X

Well, my favorite Sonic games would be Sonic 2, Sonic CD, Sonic Adventure... games of those ilk. Comparatively? Nah, I wouldn't say it stacks up against those games. Games like the Adventure series had such better and more dynamic writing, as well as a more substantial plot that actual had a meaningful impact on the franchise, as well as better referencing the classic titles (yes, the Adventure games better referenced the Classic games than a compilation title actually featuring remakes of Classic levels). And the 3D gameplay just has a charming simplicity to it that made it super slick to just pick up and play, much like the classic games. Though I love how Modern Sonic turned out in Generations, "simplistic" is not a word I'd use to describe his gameplay.

And you can't even compare Generations to the Classics. Yes, I'm more than happy with how Classic Sonic controls, and the 3 remade Genesis-era levels look phenominal, but these games just are brimming with creativity and a total lack of ANY repetition in environments, and Sonic controls like a wet dream (though the spin dash and spin roll in Sonic CD actually seem similar to those in Generations... hmm....). Not to mention that the sheer nostalgia of playing the actual games themselves just wins me over. One short-coming Generations has is that it doesn't include enough of the rich level history of the Genesis titles that helped make them such stunning games. I know that the levels were only pulled from the main series titles, and that they could only select one level per game, but then why couldn't we have gotten a Sonic CD or Sonic 3 level? It makes me sad, and this lack of diverse and totally unique levels in Generations is one reason as to why it is impossible for it to top the classics, at least for me.

So yeah, those reasons, as well as the simple nostalgia factor the aforementioned titles have, describe why Generations doesn't quite stack up to these games, at least for me. Now with that said, I think it's the best Sonic game we've gotten on home consoles since Adventure 2. While the level list is lacking, it does recreate a select few levels from our childhood and brings them to life in an absolutely breath-taking way, with top-tier visuals. It's almost like we're able to view the full scope of the original level designer's vision. Each level has been retooled to house its own unique hook, all while encapsulating the feel of the game which it is from. And hey, even a crap level from a crap game, like Crisis City, gets redemption. So it works out in the end.

Each Sonic represents where the franchise began and what it has become. Classic Sonic is simplistic, yet engrossing physics-based platforming, and in Generations, that gameplay has been faithfully recreated. Sure, the physics feel a bit different, but they accomplish the same purpose as they did in the classics: making the momentum key in tackling the obstacles that face you during the course of a level. Beyond that though, he looks fantastic when rendered as a fully 3D model, and his animations make him look both incredibly cute and kinda edgy. He's a total blast to play, and unlike Sonic 4, the controls don't fight you, not even in the slightest. Plus, the options to control his moves with the face buttons as well as the d-pad is a cool little option. Clearly, a lot of love was put into preserving the Classic experience.

Modern Sonic, on the other hand, represents how Sonic plays by today's standards: switching from 2D to 3D, using an automated boost to move at incredibly high-speeds, quick-stepping from side to side, drifting... yet when it comes to these levels, they're still guided by the same principles as those of Classic Sonic: earning the right to blaze through the levels, rather than having instant gratification (like Unleashed). Yes, you have a boost gauge that grants you instant high-speeds, but the diversity in terrain and level design promotes a steady mixture of speed and platforming that strongly discourages holding the X or square button all the time; only when you master the level is the boost your friend. The controls are incredibly solid at both low and high speeds, moreso than any 3D Sonic game since Adventure 2, and along with the complexity of his vast move set and how well the levels are designed around said move set, all the while maintaining that same "speed is a reward" concept that the classic titles were founded upon, it truly shows all that Sonic has become, and that it's actually a really good evolution in gameplay for the blue blur. It's the best Sonic game since Adventure 2 because Sonic games just haven't been this fun and expertly designed SINCE then, in either Classic OR Modern formats.

And of course, the game has the most replayability since Sonic Adventure 2, with all its missions and unlockables and junk. So it wins in that department too. Yeah, the game has its short-comings, a few more than I actually mentioned, and that holds it back from cracking my top 5. But hey, it definitely makes the top 10.

Edited by EXshad
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm not sure if I can list it above S3&K just yet but my list goes like this as of now

1&2: Sonic Generations/S3&K

3: Sonic 2

4. Sonic CD

5. Sonic Colors

I can't rank it quite yet, but it's joined my ranks of absolute favorite Sonic games and is my favorite 3D Sonic title. These titles are:

-Sonic CD

-Sonic 3 & Knuckles

-Sonic Adventure (DX)

-Sonic Adventure 2

-Sonic Advance 1

-Sonic Rush Adventure

-Sonic Colors (Wii)

-Sonic Generations

Sonic Generations is probably my favorite 3D Sonic game ever right about now. It took long enough, but I finally feel like I've played a 3D Sonic game I enjoy more than the original Sonic Adventure.

This means more or less that Sonic Generations is now my second favorite Sonic game. Second only to Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

You guys can go ahead and kick my ass for this, but Sonic Generations is my favorite Sonic game ever.

Agreed, There isn't a single point in what i've played of the game so far (up to the Shadow battle) where I felt underwhelmed, irritated or bored.

My list is as follows:

1.Sonic Generations

2.Sonic 3&K

3.Sonic Heroes

4.Sonic 2

5.Sonic Adventure DX

You guys can go ahead and kick my ass for this, but Sonic Generations is my favorite Sonic game ever.

They may have to kick my ass, too. I haven't really decided yet where it belongs in my top 5 list- but it's most definitely on there.

The thing is, right now I *want* to say it's my #1. But whenever I play a game and feel like it belongs on a "best of" list, I always like to wait at least six months, because by that point my hype has long since died down and I'm more capable of looking at it objectively.

It's certainly my favorite 3D Sonic, I have absolutely no doubt about that. Sonic Adventure's 12 year rein is at an end.

Edited by Speederino

See, I've reached a stage where it's difficult for me to judge fairly. Because there's a difference between 'acknowledging that a game is the best', and having 'enjoyed it the most'.

See, Sonic Adventure 2 was, and still is, my favourite Sonic game ever. At the same time, it's pretty obvious to me (in my opinion) that Generations is the better game from a gameplay perspective. However, a combination of nostalgia, plot, and the general fact that everything is more fun when you're younger (at least in my experience).

But yeah, I think if Generations actually had a stronger plot, a better last boss, and slightly more polished final stages (I did feel like the game started to lose steam at Planet Wisp - especially Act 2- and that it outright fell flat on its face at Time Eater), it'd have definitely been a strong contender against SA2. But again, it'd probably still lose out to childhood (well, early-mid teen) nostalgia.

So yeah. I'm well aware that Generations is probably/ arguably the best Sonic game ever, and failing that is almost certainly the best 3D Sonic game. However, that doesn't mean it's my favourite, and it doesn't mean I enjoyed it the most. It's kind of like with anime; Digimon was, is, and will likely always be my favourite series of all time. I know it's basic and flawed in a number of places, and I'm fully aware of those flaws, but something about it just sits right with me. I've seen many series since that are undoubtedly better, but I still just like Digimon the most.

Again, I think a lot of it is nostalgia combined with the fact that everything seems better when you're a kid.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have this favorite system for my Sonic games:

My GODLY Sonic game:

~Sonic Generations =D

My Top 5 Modern Sonic games:

~Sonic Colours

~Sonic Unleashed

~Sonic and the Secret Rings

~Sonic Adventure

~Sonic Adventure 2

My Top 5 Classic Sonic games:

~Sonic the Hedgehog 2

~Sonic the Hedgehog 3&Knuckles

~Sonic the Hedgehog 1

~Sonic the Hedgehog 4

~Sonic CD

Edited by MoDeRn frokenok3

For me it has to be:

1. Sonic the Hedgehog 2

2. Sonic Adventure

3. Sonic Generations

4. Sonic Unleashed

5. Sonic 06

In terms of 3d games, Generations is my #1 favorite. I consider 2d games to be their own separate list for me.

Edited by Chaos Warp

1. Sonic 2 (Master System)

2. Sonic Adventure 2/Sonic Unleashed/Sonic Generations

3. Sonic 3

4. Sonic The Hedgehog (Master System)

5. Sonic & Knuckles

2nd place is getting awfully cramped up there. I just really can't choose.

But *new Sonic game* will have to pry Sonic 2 8-bit out of my cold dead 1st place hands.

Edited by JezMM

I have to say it was easily the best game since the classics for me. Modern Sonic just plays so much better than the other modern era games and while I was a fan of Sonic in the adventure series I didn't like most of the other characters' gameplay. (rip me for it I don't care it''s my opinion) Up against the classics I'd have to say it might beat all of them but I just got done playing some more Sonic 3 and Knuckles and I liked it much more. For me it goes:

1. Sonic 3 and Knuckles

2. Sonic Generations

3. Sonic 2

4. Sonic CD

5. Sonic Colors

Hmm...

1. Sonic Adventure 2

2. Sonic 3 & Knuckles

3. Sonic Heroes

4. Sonic Rush

5. Sonic Generations

6. Sonic Colors

7. Sonic Adventure

8. Sonic Rush Adventure

9. Sonic 2

10. Sonic Battle

So yeah, it actually stacks up pretty good. It's not an AMAZING game by any means, but it's getting better and I had a fun nostalgic trip playing through it. I give it a pass.

Edited by RidersDX

I value the story very much, so..here's my list.

1. Sonic adventure [dx]

2. Sonic adventure 2

3. Sonic 3 and Knuckles

4. Sonic the hedgehog [2006]

5. Sonic heroes [i just love the atmosphere of that game + last great pure 3D gameplay]

6. Shadow the hedgehog

7. Sonic riders zero gravity

8. Sonic chronicles [the story is just great]

9. Sonic and the black knight [again, the story is awesome]

10. Sonic Battle

11. Sonic Unleashed [the story wasn't as great as in the adventures or anything above in the list, but it was miles, MILES better than in generations]

12. Sonic Generations.. I guess, for a short and easy compilation game with an almost non-existent story, it's not that bad. If the game had more contend, more SOUL in it, a great story [though I'm not sure how it can be as great as in SA, cause it's a compilation game], CG cutscenes and maybe alternate bonus playable characters, the game would be much higher in the list. Maybe, number 5 or 6.

I also like the advance series and the rush series, but I'm not sure where to put them. The list is already a bit too big.

Edited by ArtFenix