Awoo.

Was Generations Rushed?

Badnik Mechanic

Here in a couple of days...Generations will be Rushed.

Anyways, it was probably something from an earlier build of the game. Sonic Team said that the leak was from an earlier build (which all the stages/bosses in the leak were in the final game) perhaps, the CGI cutscenes and such were from an earlier build.

Edited by Future-Hedgehog

....wait, what?

I'll have to check this out myself....

EDIT : Tried it, haha, that's awesome! I noticed you don't have to be transformed into Super Sonic, just have the skill equipped and the level changes.

Do any other levels change like this if you have Super Sonic on??

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I played it with Super Sonic, then without Super Sonic...I don't notice anything at all. I even paused the game (As super) and compared the scenery to a video on Youtube that was using regular Sonic.

WAT IS GOIN ON!?

• Thumbs Up 2

I can only guess all the CGI footage was honest to god just made for the trailers. It's a total cocktease but does happen. =C

No, this has Never happened. nothing like this.

I can name 2 previous cases where 1 second CG moments were taken out and never seen in the final.

Case #1: The first SHTH trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQVgN2qC49I

Skip to 2:12. You'll see for an instant that 2 "scenes" were never shown outside that trailer.

Case #2: The first Riders trailer:

You'll see that the intro sequence with black eyes modern sonic zooming towards the screen and Jet talking where never in the game. the sonic zooming in scene was even removed from the english trailers.

But thats as close as we ever got to removed CG scenes in Console games. There IS the case of sonic chronicles, but i believe that truly falls under the case of "CG used for promotional uses only" because there is

this kind of CG could've fit on a DS card without it being severally compressed and cut apart like how Colors-DS's CG scenes were. Edited by goku262002

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I played it with Super Sonic, then without Super Sonic...I don't notice anything at all. I even paused the game (As super) and compared the scenery to a video on Youtube that was using regular Sonic.

WAT IS GOIN ON!?

Yeah, what? I'm as confuse as you are. What changes?

• Thumbs Up 4

WAT IS GOIN ON!?

Ok now I'm confused again. I thought when using Super Sonic in modern green hill, the scenery around the goal ring will be bursting with flowers in bloom, which I assumed was a reference to Sonic 1's good ending (where flowers appear as the emeralds vanish).

But I just tried it with regular Sonic and the flowers were there anyway! I must be really unobservant...

So yeah, now I'm none the wiser what Hogfather was on about either! wacko.png

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm SURE it was rushed. They spent everything on the gameplay aspect but forgot about everything else. The lack of CG scenes disappoints me the most, but Super Sonic and other stuff you mentioned is a proof of rushing the game.

I kinda think it's for the better they decided to polish the gameplay [so the game wouldn't be like SNG was], but I do think they could at least add CG cutscenes and make Super Sonic consume rings not so fast.

goku262002

There were also some CG cuts with Sonic and Silver from SNG that didn't make it in the game as well.

So, is there a way to talk to guys like AAUK or Ruby? Maybe they could get CG stuff for us?

Edited by ArtFenix

I'm SURE it was rushed. They spent everything on the gameplay aspect but forgot about everything else. The lack of CG scenes disappoints me the most, but Super Sonic and other stuff you mentioned is a proof of rushing the game.

I kinda think it's for the better they decided to polish the gameplay [so the game wouldn't be like SNG was], but I do think they could at least add CG cutscenes and make Super Sonic consume rings not so fast.

• Thumbs Up 5

This is getting old. Super Sonic would work better as proof of the game being rushed if he wasn't playable outside the final boss at all. Sonic Adventure and Sonic 06 both intended to have Super Sonic in-levels, and they both had to drop that feature to meet deadlines.

I'm SURE it was rushed. They spent everything on the gameplay aspect but forgot about everything else. The lack of CG scenes disappoints me the most,

• Thumbs Up 1

Super Sonic:

- Gets a brand new ability he's never had before, and one that had to be mapped to every single act to set triggers for where it could be activated and where it could not.

Yeah, I tried boosting as him once, saw how badly it drained my rings and decided to a) not use Modern Super Sonic much and B) when I do, don't boost.

So how do you do it, literally just jump and boost, or do you have to do something else?

Edited by -Mark-
  • Thumbs Up 1

Basically, you just need to hold the boost on an open stretch of track (usually a part of the stage with a high ceiling - or no ceiling). If you want a proof of concept, the easiest place is the home stretch of GHZ.

Super Sonic will then do his ultimate Bad@$$ impression for about 7 seconds while you watch as he blows past pits and platforms at a ridiculous pace. I have found that if you try to force him to fly somewhere he's not supposed to, its a good way to break the stage and die.

Edited by Sega DogTagz
  • Thumbs Up 1

He's doing a different job than we're used to, and it's definitely tough to swallow for most people, but:

Super Sonic's been explicitly designed in this game to not be The One Skill To Rule Them All. There's one good reason to take him: cheap shortcut-fu via ninja-flight and that's it. Otherwise you should be using other skills and this is the clear design intent. You have to actually think about when and how to use him now.

And that's the point: Super Sonic's new functionality in Gens is unpopular, but it's not rushed - it's a deliberate, planned out and fully executed design direction.

The rest of this has been covered in detail in this thread already so I won't spin the broken record again.

• Thumbs Up 8

He's doing a different job than we're used to, and it's definitely tough to swallow for most people, but:

Super Sonic's been explicitly designed in this game to not be The One Skill To Rule Them All. There's one good reason to take him: cheap shortcut-fu via ninja-flight and that's it. Otherwise you should be using other skills and this is the clear design intent. You have to actually think about when and how to use him now.

And that's the point: Super Sonic's new functionality in Gens is unpopular, but it's not rushed - it's a deliberate, planned out and fully executed design direction.

The rest of this has been covered in detail in this thread already so I won't spin the broken record again.

But the thing is, it was still rushed anyway. I'll focus on Modern Sonic here:

1) Modern SS's running speed is painfully slow. Slower than regular Sonic's at top speed (not boosting). It's about the same as regular Sonic jogging. No joke. Super Sonic's average speed should never be slower than regular Sonic's, especially when he consumes rings as fast as he does.

2) The boost is a total hit and miss. The only places I can reliably boost glide are Green Hill and Crisis City (he's also fairly useful in Seaside Hill and Speed Highway). Literally every other level is total hit and miss with it.

Chemical Plant - There's a certain section on the higher path of the level where Super Sonic will literally do some weird teleport flip when you boost. This wasn't a one time thing, this happened literally EVERY time I boosted in this section. Also, there is rarely a section where he will boost glide. Sometimes he does for a bit, then he just stops boost gliding and goes back into normal boosting which can be quite disorientating.

Sky Sanctuary - The only place where I found he could boost glide was right at the end, and at this point it's totally worthless and a waste of rings (and to add insult to injury, it's rather glitchy too). There were so many sections that he could have soared over like an eagle through the stage but instead was stuck doing a regular boost. What's the point of this boost glide allowing you to traverse levels if it doesn't even work in the places you want to traverse?

Speed Highway - Works pretty well for the most part actually, particularly at the end. Though again, Boost glide can't really be used in the 2D sections. Otherwise it works pretty well here.

City Escape - Boost glide can't really be used at all here, and I've had it glitch at times with the truck section. Though I'd need to do further testing on this stage.

Seaside Hill - Works alright here too, except for one big problem. Super Sonic can actually get hurt here. Those rolling balls at the end that go back and forth have damaged me before as Super Sonic while boost gliding. Not sure if this was a one time thing though, but the fact that Super Sonic can get hurt by something deteriorates the point of him

Rooftop Run - Again, Boost glide can't be used in 2D sections, only really some of the 3D sections at the end. Also, the end quick stepping section is hit and miss with the boost glide. Sometimes he would boost glide, other times he would do a regular (and quite frankly more preferable) boost at this point. The boost glide can really screw you over here. It's either move really slowly, or move really quickly and lose all your rings.

Planet Wisp - Once again, Boost Glide doesn't work in 2D areas. This was the one level in the game where soaring through as Super Sonic in the 2D would have been not only really cool, but extremely helpful (as most of it is 2D).

And it's not like the Boost glide doesn't work in 2D, because as aforementioned it works perfectly well in the 2D sections of Green Hill and Crisis City.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, what? I'm as confuse as you are. What changes?

People are getting confused.

I didn't say that the scenery changes, I said that you see hidden scenery.

When you play as normal Modern Sonic, the camera is at a fixed point behind him, this is mainly noticable on the final boosting sections in each level. it's close to him, and it's positioned in a way so that your focus is on the road ahead.

But, when you transform into super sonic and use the boost move, the camera angle changes, it pulls back and tilts to a different angle. The focus is now a near birds eye view as apposed to say a chase cam.

The result of this is that you can now see additional scenery that you can't see anywhere near as well when you play as normal modern Sonic, even if you don't boost in these final sections.

One zone where this is quite breathtaking is the Modern Green Hill Zone. At the very end of the stage the camera is positioned so you can see the entire island that the goal ring is on and the water surrounding it. You can see just how much effort went into making this one section of the game alone, it looks so much better than the angle you get when you play as normal modern Sonic.

Which is why I'm wondering how many hidden beauty spots there are in the game which you can only see in full if you use Super Sonic.

Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 2

I think the situation is, Super Sonic was rushed. The rest wasn't.

There is a pretty massive difference between merely Super Sonic being rushed and unfinished and the whole game being rushed and unfinished. The mysterious disappearance of content is more likely just SEGA telling Sonic Team and the writers to edit out a lot of the story to keep things simple.

• Thumbs Up 5

The game is lacking in polish in some areas and certainly feels like some content was cut, but yeah, it's not really rushed. SA1, Heroes, '06 and the original S4E1 were rushed, this just hasn't got the same finishing touches as Colours and Unleashed had.

• Thumbs Up 2

The game is lacking in polish in some areas and certainly feels like some content was cut, but yeah, it's not really rushed. SA1, Heroes, '06 and the original S4E1 were rushed, this just hasn't got the same finishing touches as Colours and Unleashed had.

What finishing touches did Colours and Unleashed have? I'm genuinely curious as to what you're referring to.

What finishing touches did Colours and Unleashed have? I'm genuinely curious as to what you're referring to.

Generations is much more prone to glitching than either Unleashed or Colours. This includes geometry not loading, abilities not being properly tested, a huge number of bugs in the PC version and very buggy online. It's not properly polished, but it's not rushed either.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think he means that Unleashed and Colours didn't feel like it had stuff MISSING. I mean even when hacked into I don't recall any big news on clearly cut content? There was all that confusion about Cray Castle in Unleashed but that just turned out to be a misunderstanding.

SPEEDED EDIT: Or he means that thing that he just said. Lol.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 1

Generations is much more prone to glitching than either Unleashed or Colours. This includes geometry not loading, abilities not being properly tested, a huge number of bugs in the PC version and very buggy online. It's not properly polished, but it's not rushed either.

Fair enough. I've never experienced any noticable glitches or non-loading geometry, but I've seen the glitch thread so I won't argue.

Not sure if we should bring the PC version into this, as it was ported by a different developer. It was rushed for all different reasons.

I was wondering why they spent so much time making CG cutscenes for trailers, but they don't make any for the actual game. I swear Colors had more CGI then this game.

But the thing is, it was still rushed anyway. I'll focus on Modern Sonic here:

-snip-

I was going to comment on this in detail but there's no point, because there's not one thing in that detailed critique that is evidence of a rush job - it's a lengthy (and well-argued) critique of the design direction.

I know that this is a first, but Super Sonic is not meant to be God Mode in this game and analysing his gameplay behaviour making that assumption is a fundamental mistake, and if people don't realise and understand that regardless of how they feel about it, this particular conversation is going to go nowhere. Fundamentally disliking how something is designed is not evidence that it was rushed and that's what we're discussing in this thread; I'm actually in two minds about how they implemented Super Sonic in this game but if I went into it we'd be going off-topic.

• Thumbs Up 6