Awoo.

Metal Gear Solid

SuperStingray

I'm conflicted about MGR, it's a good enough game in its own right but it really lets itself down in how blade mode is handled.  But to explain that, we're going to need to back up a bit, to "MGSR".  In the originally planned MGSR, rather than MGR's "hit them till the game says you can cut them" mechanic, it was planned for Raiden to be able to cut anything.  

I had actually kind of turned on the game, till I got to the final boss.  

I also can't think of it as a real Metal Gear game because it takes place after 4, which I feel like absolutely needs to be chronologically the last in the timeline.  

Snake doesn't avoid stepping on downed bodies.  I can't help but find this emblematic of my problems with this game.  Sahelanthropus is basically just a Gundam, and is also more advanced than Rex in a lot of pointless ways.  The mini walkers look way too much like "Metal Gear GEAR", a thing from an old legendaryfrog Metal Gear parody.  

I also kinda feel like the stealth system seems weirdly half baked, it's been a while since I played 4, but I don't remember guards only seeing clearly for ~40 meters.  I suppose its the dark side of open world metal gear, else you'd be spending a half hour to approach a base undetected. 

The man on fire being Volgin also wasn't that impressive to me because I never though Volgin was cool or interesting.  The facetious way of putting it is that he had an astonishingly small penis and was so angry about it that he got lightning powers.  I suppose that I can't hold it that much against the game, MGS antagonists have always been more like catalysts for the real antagonist, which is frequently more of a concept than a person.  

OK, now I'm going to point out some anachronisms with the made up tanks in this game: 

Common to both is the video game tradition of one man being able to drive a tank, something that isn't actually possible.  They're also carrying far too much main cannon ammo than would be realistically possible, don't have a coaxial machine gun, and are carrying too little ammo for their pintle mount.  The game doesn't seem to have an actual armor penetration mechanic, but so few games have one that it would probably confound most players.  Both tanks also have weirdly long braking distances.  Tanks can typically stop from near full speed within their own length.   

I also need to comment on how weird it is for there to be made up tanks in this when MGS1 had an M1A1.  

Magloader: This is a weird one, it appears to have a front engine with the driver pushed to the side, like the Merkava, but it also appears to have its turret in the center, rather than rear mounted, which is essentially a requirement of a front engine, and it also doesn't feature a rear hatch, which is both almost trivially easy to impliment and has a variety of uses.  The turret is kinda like a cross between a Merkava Mk 3 turret and an Abrams (which is interesting because the first version of each of these both actually had a 105mm gun), but it has some weirdly flat bits on the front.  Are those just bins or side armor that's inert front the front?  Both tanks also have a bizarrely long stopping distance.  It's also very strange for such an up to date design being fielded by PMCs.  A lot of people seem to underestimate how expensive to own and run tanks really are.  

T77:  This tank seems heavily inspired by tanks such as the T-64 and T-72, but it for some reason it has an IS-3 style pike nose, which only really provides any sort of benefit to tanks with taller hulls like the IS-3, and was probably dropped because it actually decreases effective armor vs enemies not dead ahead.  Either way, it's really weird to see here.  

Remember that mini walker thing Otacon made for snake in MGS4, and it actually was a mini Metal Gear? Yeah took that super serious.

I never found the designs of the metal gears in V anything to complain about personally. They look fine, and Kojima wanted to go out with a bang.

A lot of the stuff in V feels more advanced than most of the series honestly, and I don't see issue there.

honestly these complaints seem like more like personal nitpicks that shouldn't drag down enjoyment all that much.

Remember that mini walker thing Otacon made for snake in MGS4, and it actually was a mini Metal Gear? Yeah took that super serious.

I never found the designs of the metal gears in V anything to complain about personally. They look fine, and Kojima wanted to go out with a bang.

Hidden Content

honestly these complaints seem like more like personal nitpicks that shouldn't drag down enjoyment all that much.

Metal Gear MK2 reminded me a lot of modern battlefield drones, but I could have done without the comic gesticulations.  By the time the Epyon's heat rod came out, it had crossed a line.   This is of course, after the issues that I have to ignore because at some point it's a metal gear game.  The layout doesn't make sense, the main weapon should be mounted in the center, hanging it off the side just conflates issues of balance.  

What also gets me is that this story doesn't seem like it needed to be told, the story of how a fake big boss distracted everyone while the real big boss advanced the plot elsewhere was not a chunk of the timeline that was conspicuously missing. There's a theory based on an old statement that main metal gears would only get Arabic numerals that this would be followed by a real MGS 5 and this would be referred to as "Metal Gear Solid 'Vee'" phonetically would sound plausible apart from this all seeming like so much work. Was this all really just to explain how Big Boss is alive in MG2 and why Miller is opposing him?

Edited by Phos

We didn't need necessarily this story, but we needed SOMETHING to connect the "perfect dindu nuffin che guevara revolutionary messiah" Big Boss from MGS3-PW to "satanic warlord on earth evil bastard" from MG1-MGS2. The way Kojima went to it was unexpected, yet fits perfectly.

This is no missing link. This doesn't answer any of the questions that it was designed to answer. This is no prequel to Metal Gear 1. It's just one giant ass pull that fucks up canon more than it comes to make sense of things. An M. Night style plot twist designed to shock people that just pisses off those actually invested in the story.

Sure felt like it explained the reasons for Big Boss getting killed in MG1 and showing up again in MG2, as for why miller hates Boss. It also explains the weird connection between Mantis and Liquid kinda, as well as raises the question of if Mantis was pulling most of the strings.

@chooch tons of people I've seen liked the plot twist, so please don't speak for those that were invested in the plot, and had no issue with it. Your personal distaste is fine, but trying to apply it to a general audience is never a good thing.

Sure some of the stuff didn't need to be told, but it expanded the lore and was interesting to watch nonetheless. This idea that in order to be entertaining, it needs to be relevant to things in every way needs be put to rest. I don't even think Kojima promised that V would explain tons of things from throughout the series, compared to say, Nomura who blantantly all the time promises each installment of the KH franchise will answer things that were never answered. I'd rather a game have a fun involved story that doesn't rely on other games plots, over one that looses its self identity in an attempt to explain everything.

Edited by Michael Munroe

I never once said that in order for it to be entertaining it needs to be relevant to things in every way. I have no issue with the game telling its own story. The issue is that it was marketed as the bridge between Peace Walker's Big Boss and Metal Gear's Big Boss, showing his "fall from grace" and the like and it doesn't show any of that at all. You don't seem to be understanding my core issue at all with this game's plot.

How the hell does a Metal Gear game lose its sense of identity for having story details that connect it to other games? It's Metal Gear! That's what it has always done! Even looking at the game's plot by itself still presents problems. Huge chunks of it are missing. Various character arcs are either left unfinished or resolved in some half-assed way. Every facet of Metal Gear Solid V screams "unfinished game."

You can like the game if you want to. I don't really care. I just don't think my issues with it are in any way outrageous or unfair. It's just extremely disappointing.

Dude, calm down.

And I was never arguing that the story was perfect or complete, so before you start yelling, how about you not make assumptions. And I was not saying that connecting itself to other games guarantees a mess, though at the same time, I wasn't not okay with it just being self contained. Yeah, metal gear is known for overarching plots and deep specific details. Though I find it a breath of fresh air for it to just try(emphasis on try) and just be its own thing that subtly leads into MG1. A lot of plot elements are left to the player to put together themselves

fake boss probably went power hungry, and mad.

, but doesn't really pay off cause of its overall incomplete feel in a lot of areas, yeah I know that and it's a negative piece because of it, but I still found enjoyment in what was there. Yeah, there are lots of loose ends, but looking at the things done well in the story, I can appreciate at least the story for those things. 

oh, and that "relevant" point I was making, wasn't even directed at you.

i was never saying they weren't unfair. However you were generalizing . I was invested in the plot, and wasn't pissed by the plot twist. I found it clever actually. That was my main beef.

Edited by Michael Munroe

I never said you stated the story was complete or perfect, nor did I make the assumption. I do find your "relevant" point and point about the game possibly losing self identity to be pretty ridiculous tho' for reasons I already stated. All of the other major numbered games that come before this are games that try to be their own thing while still retaining what makes them Metal Gear games.

Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3 and Metal Gear Solid 4 are all very different games tonally, thematically and from a gameplay perspective. The thematic point especially. Look at any interview with Kojima discussing those four games and he'll talk about themes a ton. Those games were (for the most part) very successful in doing what you praise Metal Gear Solid V for doing. I think previous games did this far better.

The lack of, if not outright absence of a lot of established elements of the series in Metal Gear Solid V makes it not feel like a Metal Gear game a lot of times.

I personally disliked 2 and 4's stories actually and prefer V, but I must admit at least those stories felt complete through and through compared to it. There was a lot in V I found very enjoyable, but I will say that it could have been much better executed. Shame that Konami basically had to leash Kojima during this project. 

How Big Boss got well enough back into the good graces of the US to command Foxhound is also conspicuously absent.  

I also really hate Skullface's Monolog before he's crushed by girders. No, not the one in the truck, the one after Sahelanthropus is activated.  No, after he's drug from the hanger by his men.  Yeah, that monolog.  The one about how Zero or someone is going to skrub his existence from history.  He might as well look at the camera and say "AND THAT'S WHY NO ONE FROM THE CHRONOLOGICALLY LATER GAMES MENTIONS ME!"  

Such a weird thing to spend so long working on, the least important part of the timeline is suddenly the one with the largest budget game.  When I looked up who Ishmael actually was, I had this idea that they had Face/Off'ed the two of them and at some point I'd get a volunteer show up who looked like the character I had created in the intro in my base who would turn out to be the real Big Boss, but no the reveal just happens with zero context and doesn't even seem to happen in universe.  Then Venom Snake gets mad and goes to play the first Metal Gear on his MSX.  

Everything that I was picking up from this game's story was subsequently thrown out, the truth was so much less interesting.  I thought that the changing length of the shrapnel was supposed to represent Snake feeling the losses he's suffered more acutely, but no, it's just a demon horn because Snake was a naughty boy.  

I also have a thing that bugs me about MGS 3, part of why I think Volgin is so lame:

A nation acquiring a huge cache of clandestine funds is worthless, literally worthless.  It would be no different from just printing more money.  

so was Psycho Mantis the one that infected Zero? We see that he took the last vile. And didn't Zero around this time get infected resulting  in his paralyzed body?

as for Boss, wasn't the Colonel in charge of Foxhound at some point? He and Boss were close, so maybe that's how he got back in with them. Or maybe Boss made his own Foxhound team.

The answers to Zero's situation guys happens in the tape "Secret recording of Skull Face and Zero". Skull Face laced a pin with something (Parasites I assume) and when Zero pricks himself, he begins to fall. They talk about it as well in the tapes "Zero has been attacked" from what I remember.

Ok so it seems that in fact the forum software does not support spoiler tags using the mobile page. Anyway, all I'm going to say is that I remembered how much I was annoyed at this game's strange understanding of what "parasite" means, and that changing nuclear fuel into depleted uranium is an exothermic process, so the opposite needs to be an endothermic process. 

Additonaly, on the Abrams, at least, the depleted uranium armor is not a plate, it's a mesh layer that many presume to be a yaw inducer. Tank armor hasn't been homogenous for quite some time. 

• 2 weeks later...

More cut-content unearthed.

More evidence has emerged that there was more cut content in Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain than meets the eye- the community is largely disappointed at what is being perceived to be the disappointing ‘end’ of the game. More voice files for Episode 51 have also been unearthed in the game’s files on the PC- which indicates that there is something more to the game than just the playable content that players have unearthed so far.

Another Reddit user actually went through the tapes and found out that the game was supposed to have guard dogs. The transcript reads: “It’s a guard dog, don’t get too close. Wouldn’t want it to start barking. Dog’s sense of smell is better than ours. And so is their night vision. Don’t take any chances.” There was also supposed to be a conversation between Ocelot and Snake once you have completed mission 45.

The Battle Gear was also supposed to be playable with Ocelot detailing its functions. “The Battle Gear is an armored weapon developed to take on hostile bipedal weapon systems. You can alter its maneuverability by changing its posture. In travel mode it’s as nimble as a horse. Whereas in fire mode you can move while keeping an eye on the area in front of you. It’s armed with a railgun and a heavy machinegun. If you like, we can look into adding other weapons too.” Furthermore FOB insurance was always supposed to be in the game, given Kaz’s dialogue with Snake. “A lot of rival PFs have Diamond Dogs in their sights, so I’ve lined us up a great deal on insurance. If you sign off on it, we’ll be covered on anything lost to rival PFs. Personnel, hardware, GMP.””

Whatever it is, it seems that, as of right now, the Metal Gear Solid 5 ruse cruise continues. Long may it continue.

In the meantime I've 100%d TPP & got the Platinum. Also played the FOB missions which are quite good.

CQsa2ELWoAARY42.jpgCQsa2L8WoAASl-0.jpg

I'm more or less done with the game now. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I really like some things about MGSV but I'm really turned off by a lot of it too. It's incomplete, really repetitive, has a dull barren wasteland open world (despite being really pretty and performing well), has wild cheap difficulty spikes in the second half, has completely out of character cutscenes and an undeveloped plot that...

abruptly ends. The boss battles suck too.

I actually liked the concept of the ending, because I hated Snake in MGSV, but I thought the execution was very poor.

Overall, I enjoyed it and I'm glad I played it, but it was very disappointing too.

. The boss battles suck too.

Edited by Regen

The boss battles suck too.

I agree, the boss fights were rather weak. They were a major step up from Peace Walker (if only because you don't have to mindlessly shoot rockets at them for four hours in order to kill them) but they're a far cry from the bosses of MGS 1-4 and Rising. Hell I'd go so far as to say that even MG2 had better bosses. Even the battle against Sahelanthropus was kind of dull. On the whole there were really only two or three boss fights that stuck out to me as actually feeling like Metal Gear bosses.

Those being:

Quiet, The Skull Snipers, and Eli. Even then the first two are basically identical (not to mention the fact that they're pretty much just rehashes of The End) and the Eli fight is way too short to be a proper boss battle.

I did think that the Armored Skull battle in mission 29 was a really awesome and tense experience too. Or it was until I realized that you were just supposed to blow them away with D-Walker's mini gun instead of trying to evade them and then use CQC counters to go MGR on their asses. Oh well. 

Despite that I do still think that MGSV is a great game, even though it didn't live up to the hype (and let's face it, no game could).

Edited by Bowbowis

so did any of yall jump on MGO yet? I've been playing since the first MGO and I find myself really liking this installment a lot,even if it seems you have less adminstrative options that you did in the first 2 MGOs.

My one complaint so far of the online, is that mortars have like....unlimited ammo and so far playing Comm. Control and Cloak and Dagger people have been spamming the SHIIIIIIIIIT out of them and it's kinda annoying actually.....they need to patch it so they don't have unlimited ammo or something. I wish I saved a replay last time when I was playing cloak and dagger with a few friends. We were either discovered through a mortar strike or completely taken out due to them.

• 2 weeks later...

Konami have started releasing the DLC costumes. I'm not getting the horse armor. Fuck that...........................

The Boss Camo (which costs £0.79) looks pretty damn amazing. Also got Naked Snake's sneaking suit from MGS3 and Tuxedo. For some reason the EVA camo hasn't appeared on the (PS4) UK PSN store yet.

CRyk3FoWIAEaKYA.jpg:large

Also, more cut content discovered. Sigh... MGSVTPP is such an unfinished mess of a game.

• Thumbs Up 1

>Selling the tuxedo

cause why not cut out of the game and charge for a classic series extra that's been available in-game since it was introduced.

Seriously, when Jim brung that up, I facepalmed. You bet your ass I will not be supporting Konami by buying any of this DLC. Even if some of it looks cool. It's cosmetic and not needed.

Big Patch coming in November

http://www.metalgearinformer.com/?p=22965

Patch Notes: (Spoiler for Size)

November Update Notice:

Please see below for the complete list of adjustments planned for the MGO update scheduled for November.

[Auto-matching]

• You will now be matched with players of similar level to your highest character level.
  • It is now less likely to join a host with poor network connection.

[Mission Adjustments]

• The game will now end once all teammates are stunned or tranquilized in CLOAK AND DAGGER.

[Loadout/Equipment Adjustments]

• The “E.LOCATOR” will now only available for the Scout class.
  • Machines guns and launchers will now only be available for the Enforcer class.
  • Shotguns will now only available for the Infiltrator class.

* As a result of these changes, custom loadouts will be initialized during the maintenance period following the update patch. 

[Character Ability Adjustments]

• Overall movement speed will be increased.
  • Mobility has been re-balanced to allow faster traveling between objectives.
  • Infiltrators will have health and stamina decreased.
  • Enforcers will have health and stamina increased.
  • Scouts will have health increased.
  • Scouts will be able to mark targets more quickly while using binoculars.

[Weapon Adjustments]

• Firing sway for Machine Guns will be reduced.
  • Weapon sway will be reduced overall when aiming in first-person view.
  • Damage inflicted by the Walker Gear’s Gatling gun will be reduced.
  • Walker Gears and Anti-Aircraft will now take more damage from certain weapons.
  • Weapon damage of certain weapons are being adjusted for better balance.
  • Damage value on the ISANDO RGL-220″ will be significantly reduced.
  • Reduced ammo count on “ISANDO RGL-220” .
  • Max carry for “E.LOCATOR,””STUN GRENADE,” and “SLEEP GRENADE” will be reduced.
  • The throwing arch of the Empty Magazine will be invisible to enemies.
  • The noise radius made by Empty Magazines when they land will be expanded.

[Item Adjustments]

• Max carry amount of “C.BOX” will be increased.

[Stealth Camo(STEALTH CAMO.PP) adjustments while using the STEALTH CAMO+ Ability]

• Stealth camo will be temporarily disabled when taking damage.
  • Battery life will be reduced, and battery will take longer to charge.
  • Marking time for cloaked players will be reduced.
  • Cloaked players detected with NVG will be marked in standard marking time.

[CQC Adjustments]

• Range for CQC grabs will be narrowed.
  • Icon for CQC grabs will no longer be displayed.
  • Non-lethal damage done by CQC hits and grabs will be reduced.
  • 1-hit CQC knock-outs will become exclusive to Infiltrators with “CQC STEALTH+” Lv.2 or higher.

[Fulton Adjustments]

• Fulton speed when using “FULTON+” Lv.2 or greater will be slowed.
  • When a player fultons an enemy, the fulton balloon and the enemy will be invincible to other teammates.

[Buddy System Adjustments]

• Time required to establish a buddy link using the link action will be shortened.
  • Link action will succeed regardless of the direction your character is facing, as long as you are in range. 
  • The buddy gauge will now clear at the beginning of each round.

[Other Adjustments]

• Search filters in “SELECT MATCH” will be now saved.
  • Countdown time on the Spawn screen has been extended from 10 seconds to 15 seconds.

Please note that the patch is still a work in progress, and some adjustments may differ in the final update. Details regarding the final changes will be announced once the patch is released.

Regarding issues not addressed above, we are constantly monitoring user feedback and will continue to make changes and adjustments moving forward. Thank you very much for your continued support of MGO.

Edited by LunarEdge

• 3 weeks later...

So something interesting has came up in the latest patch. It's about a certain story spoiler.

Did you feel in as much pain as I did when Quiet left in Mission 45? Well let's have that mission mean completely nothing as now SHE'S BACK.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/11/10/9704594/metal-gear-solid-5-get-quiet-back-mgsv-cloaked-in-silence

You have to replay Mission 7 a bunch of times and the REPLAY will change to REUNION. I don't know how to feel about this. Sure, I adore Quiet. She was the best backup I have ever had in a game but this really lessens the ending. I mean, we felt phantom pain because we no longer had her, now we can just throw it away just because we moaned? It belittles the game a bit. 

So something interesting has came up in the latest patch. It's about a certain story spoiler.

That's not quite right.

You have to replay Mission 11 six times. The name of that mission then changes from [Replay]  to "[Reunion] Cloaked in Silence". Then you just need to replay that mission one more time to get Quiet back.

Yep. It worked for me when I tried it:

Embedded image permalink

Embedded image permalink

Embedded image permalink

• Thumbs Up 2