Awoo.

The Last of Us (PS3 & PS4)

Detective Shadzter

We've got our first teaser of the mysterious PS3 title that "you won't believe" which will be making its debut at the VGA's this year, and it looks like it's not that Sony Super Smash Bros game. Don't know what to make of the teaser video myself, but I'm quite curious to see more.

The game's website can be found here:

http://www.lastofus.com/

There's a 14 second video of an insect on the website. Weird..

Well... I'm curious... but only because it's basically a 'game announcement!' and then nothing else.

I guess it'll be a virus killed nearly everyone... then we just need to see a zombie and know exactly where it's going. I hope VGA will show us some footage.

Does anyone know what type of insect that is in the second teaser video?

Does anyone know what type of insect that is in the second teaser video?

Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 2

I know what it reminds me of.

On QI a few weeks ago, there was a segment about a prasite that would infect ants and more or less take them over, it would make them climb to the top of a tree/plant, which was suicide for ants as it opens them up to predators, then the parasite eats the ant from the inside, feeding off it (the ant is still alive when this happens), eventually it grows a spore out of the ants head, which extends several inchest until it eventually pops spreading more spores down to the ground... ready to infect any other poor ants.

Edit : This is definately whats happening.

Close to the end of the video you can see the spore slowly growing out of it's head.

Oh yeah, I see it now. Thanks for the info. This rules out zombies then tongue.png

Edited by Hogfather

Isn't there another kind of parasite that also controls ants in such a way that they get eaten by animals the parasite prefers? Yeah, still thinking it's a zombie game.

Its incredibly morbid. I wonder what kind of horror game this might be.....could it be like "Day of the Triffids", except with fungi that feast on the human brain and turn them into mindless zombies that infect other people before dying or something.

Just watched that stink ant segment of QI you linked to, Hogfather. That's really quite shocking.

I say it could be ruling out zombies, because it could hint at some kind of spore break out on people. Are there any kinds of spores that are severely dangerous to humans? I can't seem to find any that are on Google.

I say it could be ruling out zombies, because it could hint at some kind of spore break out on people. Are there any kinds of spores that are severely dangerous to humans? I can't seem to find any that are on Google.

Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 1

Archaotic in the Kotaku comments has made an interesting observation.

Here's the interesting part of the whole deal. The Youtube account hosting the teaser trailer was created in 2006. Whatever game this is, it's been in the works for a LONG time.

The file reference for that video is 'fungus video', while the video file name contains the word ant, both of which relate to the zombie ants discovered in Brazil (Hogfather already posted the QI info about it). Are people rioting in an attempt to escape the government, who are using altered fungi to control everyone? Hmm.

Whatever this is, I can't say I'm terribly interested in it based on what I know about it.

Maybe things'll change once the actual reveal is made, but I'm somehow doubting that.

It's a Cordycep.

It is a monstrosity of a fungus.

This is probably going to be a zombie game, because if it's not, it's going to be a rousing game of "Don't Catch the Plague". Which, if they wanted to do that, they could have just went back to 500 AD.

Edited by Mr.Awesomest

people with 56k modems should beware....

The witch is brewing some hype.... The website has had an update, we've got a few more details.

TLOU_image_1.jpg

The ant video is now slightly longer with some new audio of... something... Theres also another screen on the official site but it's a bit too big to be linking too. The image I've directly linked to is interesting as it more or less confirms what we were all thinking, it's some kind of global virus/infection/pandemic thats wiped almost everyone out.

Slowly getting more and more interested as to what this game is.

Edit: If the image isn't showing for you... try this...

http://www.lastofus.com/wallpapers/TLOU_image_1.jpg

Change the 1 to 2 for the second image. Or you can see a smaller version of it here.

Edited by Hogfather

Epic?

Huh? Oh for... I've posted it in the wrong bloody topic... I must have had a few tabs open and posted that stuff in the wrong game topic. Too many VGA announcements... and I'm tired.

Edited by Hogfather

This is getting some serious buzz and hype, but I can't for the life of me see what will be so amazing about it based on all the teaser images and stuff.

Some sort of game involving a pandemic that is related to a fungus that as of now only affects insects? Sounds like it'll be another generic post-apocalyptic zombie survivor-like game that will add to an already saturated market.

All in all I'm just curious as to why Geoff is so excited about this. It'll only be cool that it's PS3 exclusive if I actually like what I see. If it is as mind-blowing and unbelievable as Geoff says then I'll be sure to be all FUCK YEAH PS3 only, but for now I couldn't care less about it.

I wish it was Sony's Smash style game. I'm far more interested in that at this point.

I'd like to know how the little girl developed her personality. From the sound of things she doesn't know what life was like prior to the "event" that led to the end of the world. It'll be interesting as far as zombie games goes since it looks like The Last of Us will be taking a I Am Legend approach to the settings rather than "on Z-Day" approach other zombie games have. Then again we should wait for some actually gameplay.